PDA

View Full Version : Help pick my DMM magic item

Jophiel
2019-03-11, 12:42 PM
Going to do Dungeon of the Mad Mage with new lvl 5 characters and the DM has us picking a free magic item from a short list. For my wizard, the list is:

1.) Wand of Enemy Detection
2.) Ring of Feather fall
3.) Amulet of Proof versus Detection
4.) Boots of Levitation

I suppose the ring would save me a spell slot although I already had Feather Fall as a spell pick in case I need it for the group. Wand and amulet feel sort of "meh" unless someone wants to make a case for them. Not sure about the geography of DMM to guess at how useful boots would be. Obviously they don't help much with a 10' ceiling over your head.

All in all, not especially sexy options but I'll be picking one of them.

AchuakScale
2019-03-11, 02:52 PM
The Boots. Mobility options that help in 5ft corridors.

Fiskco
2019-03-11, 03:03 PM
It depends on how your DM runs things at the table, if he's prone to planing ambushes and stuff, the amulet of proof against detection might be good. The mad mage will try to spy on the party periodically, so this would make the amulet marginally more useful for protecting your wizard

Otherwise I'd say go for the boots.

Jophiel
2019-03-11, 03:09 PM
New DM for me but my immediate thought is that anyone capable of trying to scry on me and getting a Signal Not Found error would be smart enough to scry on the person next to me.

I suppose a free concentration effect at will seems more overall useful than the alternatives.

Yak
2019-03-11, 03:26 PM
Another votes for boots. Avoid pit traps and pressure plates, get around any ‘leap of faith’ style obstacles, manuevreabiity in combat. Seems like a no-brainier to me.

DarkKnightJin
2019-03-11, 04:52 PM
New DM for me but my immediate thought is that anyone capable of trying to scry on me and getting a Signal Not Found error would be smart enough to scry on the person next to me.

I suppose a free concentration effect at will seems more overall useful than the alternatives.

Pretty sure you can't be seen *at all* if using the amulet. It's like you're not even existing to anybody that might see you in the periphery of a divination spell. Useful if your character is hiding from someone with the means to track them magically.

As for the boots: I'm 98% sure that once the spell ends, you float safely down to the ground. Effectively acting like Feather Fall, but for yourself only. Not unlike the Ring, which would be always active.

Overall, I think the Boots of Levitation would be the 'most generally useful' item of the bunch.

Jophiel
2019-03-11, 05:05 PM
Pretty sure you can't be seen *at all* if using the amulet. It's like you're not even existing to anybody that might see you in the periphery of a divination spell. Useful if your character is hiding from someone with the means to track them magically.
I get that. I just meant that the group as a whole will still be trackable. Sort of like being the +12 Stealth guy in a group full of 8 Dex plate wearers.

Great Dragon
2019-03-11, 11:26 PM
It depends on how your DM runs things at the table, if he's prone to planing ambushes and stuff, the amulet of proof against detection might be good. The mad mage will try to spy on the party periodically, so this would make the amulet marginally more useful for protecting your wizard

Otherwise I'd say go for the boots.

Right, if the DM is playing the Mad Mage true to form, Halaster might very well notice something odd about magical things happening around the party, wonder why he can't detect a source and just physically transport himself (or something like a custom-made Project Image - modified mostly for distance) and be able to physically see the otherwise 'hidden' Wizard PC. Remember it only stops Divination from directly detecting the PC, so even a Projected Image could still see him, since it is not using that School at all.

I agree that the Boots look like your best choice off the list.

The Wand of Detect Enemies is useful, but mostly when you're already fairly sure that these are nearby anyway. Could be useful in following a fleeing foe after an encounter, though - so not a useless second choice.