PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Is there any more Firbolg lore around other than in Volo's Guide to Monsters?

Uncumber
2019-03-11, 01:41 PM
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question here, which is pretty much in the title!

Is there any more information regarding the 5th edition iteration of Firbolgs, other than the couple of pages in Volo's Guide to Monsters describing them as a playable race?

I'm specifically interested in their general culture, habitat, architecture (if they even build stuff) - well, any information really. The two pages in Volo's is kinda scant.

Thanks for reading, any info is really appreciated!

Unoriginal
2019-03-11, 01:46 PM
Nope, for 5e it's pretty much it. I don't think there is even a Firebolg NPC in one of the published scenarios.

Uncumber
2019-03-11, 01:48 PM
Nope, for 5e it's pretty much it. I don't think there is even a Firebolg NPC in one of the published scenarios.

Aw really!? that's a shame. I absolutely love them from the small amount of information actually given. Hmm, on the other hand I suppose I can chat with my DM and we can have some fun imagining up a whole bunch of stuff about their lifestyle now.

Unoriginal
2019-03-11, 01:50 PM
Aw really!? that's a shame. I absolutely love them from the small amount of information actually given. Hmm, on the other hand I suppose I can chat with my DM and we can have some fun imagining up a whole bunch of stuff about their lifestyle now.

Indeed.

The blank space on the map is just as important than the drawn lines.

No brains
2019-03-11, 02:04 PM
I guess they did a really good job being hidden and mysterious.

I would advise against looking up the mythological source of the firbolg, I think they've turned into their own thing in 5e.

If you and your DM want to shed light on the firbolg, consider their listed traits and think about how those traits could interact with potential environments. Those are the tools they have to make their living wherever they are. Presumably they find good ways to use all their traits.

Naanomi
2019-03-11, 07:32 PM
Just older edition stuff and campaign setting specific lore... I remember them being in some of the older FR novels, living in the Moonshaes

Anderlith
2019-03-11, 07:51 PM
Absolutely, there is a TON of Firbolg lore out there. Just read Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Uncumber
2019-03-11, 10:05 PM
Just older edition stuff and campaign setting specific lore... I remember them being in some of the older FR novels, living in the Moonshaes

Aren't Firbolgs completely different in the other editions though, as in, so much so that they're basically a new race in 5e?

That was the impression I was under but I could be completely mistaken!

Absolutely, there is a TON of Firbolg lore out there. Just read Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Uhm, I genuinely don't understand - looking at google it says Wheel of Time was published in 1990. 5th edition wasn't around in 1990! I'm confused :P

Anderlith
2019-03-11, 10:14 PM
Aren't Firbolgs completely different in the other editions though, as in, so much so that they're basically a new race in 5e?

That was the impression I was under but I could be completely mistaken!

Uhm, I genuinely don't understand - looking at google it says Wheel of Time was published in 1990. 5th edition wasn't around in 1990! I'm confused :P

So before 5e Firbolgs were basically Celtic mini giants. The Firbolg of 5e is almost exactly what an Ogier from the Wheel of Time is. (Please do not ever believe they are cowfaced though. I’m kinda really p*ssed that that portrayal has become more popular.

Uncumber
2019-03-11, 10:44 PM
So before 5e Firbolgs were basically Celtic mini giants. The Firbolg of 5e is almost exactly what an Ogier from the Wheel of Time is. (Please do not ever believe they are cowfaced though. I’m kinda really p*ssed that that portrayal has become more popular.

Ahhh I see! I'll definitely look the Ogier up then and see what I can find about them! Do they have the connection to nature and the woodland that they do in 5e though?

(p.s. I love the cow faces! They're so cute!)

Anderlith
2019-03-11, 10:52 PM
Ahhh I see! I'll definitely look the Ogier up then and see what I can find about them! Do they have the connection to nature and the woodland that they do in 5e though?

(p.s. I love the cow faces! They're so cute!)
The whole “broad nose” thing is supposed to be humanoid not cowfolk. Ogier are big natureloving giants who have tufted ears & long eyebrows. They don’t have blueish skin like 5e Firbolgs though, & don’t suffer from “tumblr nose” where it’s bright red from someone who can’t do proper color highlights

https://i.redd.it/u87sgzydg9iy.png

Uncumber
2019-03-11, 11:07 PM
The whole “broad nose” thing is supposed to be humanoid not cowfolk. Ogier are big natureloving giants who have tufted ears & long eyebrows. They don’t have blueish skin like 5e Firbolgs though, & don’t suffer from “tumblr nose” where it’s bright red from someone who can’t do proper color highlights

https://i.redd.it/u87sgzydg9iy.png

Oh wow, alright indeed that does sound exactly like a Firbolg, thank you for the information! I might actually give this book a read now, although weirdly I'm not big on fantasy fiction (I've pretty much only read Lord of the Rings and Gormenghast) - is it a particularly good book?

But oh dear. I think we may have some conflicting opinions. I actually love the bright red noses too ^^

Anderlith
2019-03-11, 11:28 PM
Oh wow, alright indeed that does sound exactly like a Firbolg, thank you for the information! I might actually give this book a read now, although weirdly I'm not big on fantasy fiction (I've pretty much only read Lord of the Rings and Gormenghast) - is it a particularly good book?

But oh dear. I think we may have some conflicting opinions. I actually love the bright red noses too ^^

So I’m assuming you’re a big fan of that travesty “Critical Role” too? I’m not old enough to be a salty grognard dang it!

Uncumber
2019-03-11, 11:37 PM
So I’m assuming you’re a big fan of that travesty “Critical Role” too? I’m not old enough to be a salty grognard dang it!

Wait what does Critical Role have to do with this!? I've watched ten-ish episodes of campaign 2 though..

McSkrag
2019-03-11, 11:42 PM
Vander, from the Cleric Quintet books, was a firbolg warrior from the Spine of the World mountains. He totally made me want to play a firbolg.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Vander

Uncumber
2019-03-11, 11:51 PM
Vander, from the Cleric Quintet books, was a firbolg warrior from the Spine of the World mountains. He totally made me want to play a firbolg.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Vander

Ahh that sounds awesome, but again it's not 5th edition is it?

I really thought 5e Firbolgs were very, very different than the ones from older versions, although I admit I might be completely wrong about this - it's just from what I've (briefly) read.

Anderlith
2019-03-11, 11:52 PM
Wait what does Critical Role have to do with this!? I've watched ten-ish episodes of campaign 2 though..

As far as I’ve been led to believe, the dude who DMs routinely calls the Firbolgs cownosed, so now everyone who doesn’t know about Ogier (& I hate to use the term, Casuals) especially the obsessive & territorial tumblr crowd have persisted the idea that they are blueish cowfolk with bright red noses & it infuriates me. I’m not even a big fan of the Wheel of Time, but I just hate how they have “stolen” the idea of Firbolgs.

Uncumber
2019-03-12, 12:02 AM
As far as I’ve been led to believe, the dude who DMs routinely calls the Firbolgs cownosed, so now everyone who doesn’t know about Ogier (& I hate to use the term, Casuals) especially the obsessive & territorial tumblr crowd have persisted the idea that they are blueish cowfolk with bright red noses & it infuriates me. I’m not even a big fan of the Wheel of Time, but I just hate how they have “stolen” the idea of Firbolgs.

Aah right, yeah I get what you're saying. I have seen some Firbolg art online where they do look very bovine, and I completely agree that's taking it way too far. Though I think you can see how it started - the only official Firbolg art in Volo's Guide to Monsters does have the character with a vaguely cow-shaped (and red) nose. It's just now, like with everything, some people have taken it a little too far!

McSkrag
2019-03-12, 12:07 AM
Ahh that sounds awesome, but again it's not 5th edition is it?

I really thought 5e Firbolgs were very, very different than the ones from older versions, although I admit I might be completely wrong about this - it's just from what I've (briefly) read.

Yes and no.

Vander is one of the inspirations for 5e firbolgs. There are a lot of similarities between him and what's in Volos. His story takes place in the Forgotten Realms world so you could use some of the lore from him.

Unoriginal
2019-03-12, 04:56 AM
Tbf with Critical Role, the 5e Firbolg art does indeed give them a somewhat bovine look.

At least it's better than people assuming that D&D goblins and half-orcs are green-skinned just because they are in Critical Role.

ChildofLuthic
2019-03-12, 02:53 PM
Tbf with Critical Role, the 5e Firbolg art does indeed give them a somewhat bovine look.

At least it's better than people assuming that D&D goblins and half-orcs are green-skinned just because they are in Critical Role.

Was it critical role that popularized that idea? I prefer gray orcs myself, but I always thought that green and gray were both equally viable options.

Unoriginal
2019-03-12, 02:58 PM
Was it critical role that popularized that idea? I prefer gray orcs myself, but I always thought that green and gray were both equally viable options.

Warhammer orcs are green, Warcraft followed that idea and put it in the mainstream. I think Critical Role has green orcs and goblins because, IIRC, it was originally a Pathfinder campaign, then they switched system.

I've nothing against green orcs, but D&D orcs are at best green-ish, and it distinguish them from other works' orcs.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-12, 03:04 PM

Very good.

Like Lord of the Rings, but a lot faster, more magic, more political intrigue. Lots of things going on across the entire world that are influenced by a solid cast of interesting main characters.

It does a great job of giving the audience all of the information while still keeping everything a constant mystery. Chaos despite knowing where everything fits.

Starts with a simple beginning, like the Hobbits in the Shire, until Frodo is summoning tornadoes and teleporting through space and time by the last book. Similar ascetic to the Eragon books, I suppose, with more emphasis on having multiple important members of the cast.

I can concur that Ogier are a lot like Firbolgs, Ogier are a bit more welcoming and a bit more powerful, though.

Daithi
2019-03-12, 05:42 PM
The main Irish gods (which later became fairies/good folk/the gentry) were the Tuatha Dé Danann, and Ireland's prior inhabitants, whom the Tuatha Dé Danann overthrew, were the Fir Bolgs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fir_Bolg