PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Fey Campaign Character Build Help

Ace Nex
2019-03-11, 01:52 PM
Howdy all, been a while since I posted here for help but here I am. If you want to skip party

So my friend is DMing an upcoming game with a group of semi-new players. They can be a somewhat difficult bunch to play with (SUPER rules lawyer-y. In fact one of the players is an actual lawyer irl. They are also anti-railroading and take RP really seriously that more often than not really gets them in trouble). This is our forth game together (third my friend is running) and each game lasts 6-12 sessions (a few months) depending on RP speed and how much we rail against the plot.

I like all these people and don't want to burn friendships, and talking it out hasn't exactly worked in the past with it ending that we agree to disagree about player and game expectations. The next one my friend is again taking the helm and has told us we are playing in his interpretation of the fey wilds. It is a realm of wild magic (an excuse to mess with casters a bunch) with all different kinds of fairies. We likely are going to get roped into some scenario where we owe them a favor to kick-start the plot. Plot wise I have no idea where we will go from there.

The current (tentative) group make up is 13th level

Bard 13
Paladin of Freedom 13
Homebrew Class which is essentially a spontaneous casting cleric with only non-damage dealing spells, including illusions 13
Warlock/Rogue 13 (Class makeup still being decided but that is what they are committing to. They will take darkstalker and sneak attack people from within their own darkness while not being able to be seen or detected.)

Here are some of the guidelines he has set

-Stats are two sets of standard with 1 floating re-roll. (Roll 7 stats, drop the lowest, create 2 sets, pick which one you want)
-Completes are allowed, as are most books including Tome of Battle and Tome of Magic
-No Factorum or artificer
-Evil Characters are allowed, although most of the party is going to be Good. The party has major hangups with enchantment and mind control, so I'd like to avoid that
-Enslavement of any kind is also a big "Nope" from the party and while the DM allows it, would intentionally throw hazards to make my life difficult. This is essentially a soft ban on Malconvoker and Thrallherd)
-Psionics are allowed and they use magic transparency rules
-Templates are allowed, but LA Buyoff likely is not.
-Flaws are banned
-Spot and Listen are combined into Perception, while Hide and Move Silently are combined into Stealth.

I'm afraid of wild magic messing with a lot of stuff for casters even though I kind of want to play one. I was considering Druid, Psionic Jade Phoenix Mage, Anima Mage, Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, or even a Erudite. I want the power that if I need to break this game over my knee I have that ability in my back pocket (DM isn't exactly great with balancing encounters and it only had gotten worse the higher level we become) but exercise restraint and not whip out overkill in every scenario. I also favor diversifying my strength, as being a pure caster while powerful likely won't go great for me in wild magic should I start pulling out some major power moves.

Thanks all for the help.

Falontani
2019-03-11, 05:38 PM
I suggest an Anarchic Initiate. Depending on how your dm handles psionic transparency see if you can dip some wild mage. There are several fey races you can go, although from Dragon Compendium there are two fey templates so you can choose whichever race you'd like. If they allow LA buyoff then there is also half fey from the fiend folio.

There is an online acf for wilders that gives them a bunch of extra powers known, but those only work for pure. From Races of Eberron there are Shifter Wielders that iirc are pretty good.

If your dm allows homebrew send me a message, I have some homebrew that would work very well for you.

Ramza00
2019-03-11, 06:03 PM
If your DM will allow you to do LA buyoff, being 3,000 xp behind for 1 LA with Half Fey Level Adjustment 1 is an awesome trade. Yes I know you said LA buyoff will not likely be allowed. And if LA buyoff is not allowed the saliency of this 1 LA loses some of its awesomeness :smalltongue:

Charm Person at will!

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

And it is not on your list of books (Savage Species), but if you can get Supernatural Transformations Feat, you can make your Charm Person at will be Su so it has no obvious effects, just be a standard mental action where no one can do spellcraft to identify it, no hand motions, no sounds, no anything, and the Charm Person is not dispellable, and you can keep on trying your at will ability until you are successful.

Now if your charm person does not succeed than the target will be on high alert for he sense something is off, but he can't identify what happened, who did it, etc, so in a group of people all the person will understand is something is not right but have no clue on the reason why, as in confused like state.

And the wizards.com version of Half Fey can be added at a later date you need not be born half fey but you can be a normal PC who just visit the feyworld too much or so on and your nature slowly changes.

-----

I am sorry if my advice is not that practical, but I just saw the word "Fey" and I had to share for I find this concept cool but that is me.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-03-12, 12:55 AM
I'll agree that Psion/Anarchic Initiate with a dip into Wild Mage (with Practiced Manifester so a Wild Mage roll is never a net loss) is going to be the way to go. Say you took Overchannel to qualify for Anarchic Initiate, but once you gained Wild Surge from it you used Psychic Reformation to repick Overchannel to a new feat (since it now qualifies you for itself, and they don't stack anyway). Kineticist is often the best/most fun discipline to go with.

Consider using Azurin for your race, take Midnight Augmentation, and invest two essentia into that for Bestow Power, so its augmentation is for every one additional powerpoint you spend, you bestow two more powerpoints on the target. Not even considering possible manifester level buffs or free augmentation from wild surge, at 13th level you can gain up to 13 powerpoints from it, and spending 8 powerpoints makes it bestow 12. Think of it as using essentia as an infinite wellspring of powerpoints.

Be sure to get a psicrystal, keep Share Pain active on it (its Hardness 8 reduces every instance of damage it takes from Share Pain by as much), and buff yourself and the psicrystal with a shared Vigor. Keep the psicrystal in a compartment on your person so opponents never have line of sight/effect to it and can't hit it with area effects or target it directly, but you and it can still target each other. Give it a Healing Belt which it can use on you during combat if needed.

Use powers like Time Hop, Energy Missile (destroying holy symbols, spell component pouches, shields, weapons, pants, etc.), Control Object, Control Body (which is not mind control, more like "stop hitting yourself"), and Solicit Psicrystal to not need to spend your turn concentrating on those powers.

You can wear a mithril chain shirt and carry a darkwood heavy shield without penalty, despite lacking proficiency, since neither has an armor check penalty. Be sure to make them both at least +1. You could also make the character a Warforged with Adamantine Body (and the Quick trait if possible), but you would need to take a second incarnum feat to have two essentia, or even dip Incarnate and go Soul Manifester instead of Anarchic Initiate.

Ace Nex
2019-03-12, 05:32 PM
The DM does really like warforged an may offer incentive them, however I really like the half-fey idea even without LA buyoff. I completely forgot that Anarchic initiate was a thing too, I'll have to look them over again. All in all some great advice, thanks everyone!

Unfortunately he also only allows his homebrew, but can be persuaded to allow some things if he thinks they are cool. The other players aren't terribly optimized (Hence pure paladin and bard) and have been concerned about power gap between party members (They were not happy when I busted out my feral changeling warshaper) so I am thinking something a little (Only a little) more subdued this time around may be best.

Falontani
2019-03-12, 06:15 PM
You can make a good pure paladin and a good pure bard. It's not as easy, but still doable.

If you want my homebrew let me know and I'll send the relevant stuff, if you'd rather not, is cool, just an option.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-03-12, 11:54 PM
On the subject of Half-Fey, a really cool trick is to start your race as the Feytouched savage progression (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), and then instead of finishing the savage progression take the Half Fey transition class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a). All the benefits of Half-Fey for just +1 LA. Though this is probably not the best plan if you want a more subdued character, in which case maybe sink the full +2 LA one way or another.