PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warforged Subrace: Mimic

KingdomCody
2019-03-11, 05:07 PM
Fifteen years ago when I first beat Neverwinter Nights I've loved Mimics, a creature that pretends to be something unassuming until it's time to strike, and my love for them goes unfettered even as I see their depictions in more modern media (A mimic rug? A mimic ring? A mimic scabbard? yes please!) however I never actually wanted to play as one until mimic's started appearing in TFS at the table, which I thought it would be cool to play as a suit of mimic armor and munch on whoever puts on your head... ah fun times (not really as I've yet to see a Mimic in one of my own games) While you can make a Mimic and be whatever you want, I want to focus more on the armor portion. I am aware of Animated armor and of the Horned Horror, but there is something about playing as a fleshy magical eldritch horror that is fascinating, they are the armor, a mimic is a creature that uses the armor as a cover.

I am open to suggestions on how to balance this, and placing a mimic's powers in the hands of a player can be a dangerous prospect if you are not careful.

Themes for the Warforged mimic:
Disclaimer: I know that mimic's and Warforged are two different creatures, this is more that a Warforged was mostly constructed, and then magically turned into a Mimic.
Themes: Ambush while hiding in plain sight by convincing enemies that they aren't a threat until they are one.

Warforged Traits:
Your warforged character has the following traits.
Ability Score Increase
Your Constitution score increases by 1.

A typical warforged is between two and thirty years old. The maximum lifespan of the warforged remains a mystery; so far, warforged have shown no signs of deterioration due to age.

Alignment
Most warforged take comfort in order and discipline, tending toward law and neutrality. But some have absorbed the morality — or lack thereof — of the beings with which they served.

Size
Your size is Medium. Most warforged stand between 5 and 6 1/2 feet tall. Weight and build are affected by subrace.

Speed
Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Warforged Resilience
You were created to have remarkable fortitude, represented by the following benefits.

You have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned, and you have resistance to poison damage.
You are immune to disease.
You don’t need to eat, drink, or breathe.
You don’t need to sleep and don’t suffer the effects of exhaustion due to lack of rest, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
Sentry's Rest
When you take a long rest, you must spend at least six hours in an inactive, motionless state, rather than sleeping. In this state, you appear inert, but it doesn’t render you unconscious, and you can see and hear as normal.

Integrated Protection
Your body has built-in defensive layers, which determine your armor class. You gain no benefit from wearing armor, but if you are using a shield, you apply its bonus as normal.

You can alter your body to enter different defensive modes; each time you finish a long rest, choose one mode to adopt from the Integrated Protection table, provided you meet the mode’s prerequisite.

Mode Prerequisite Effect
Darkwood Core (unarmored) None 11 + your Dexterity modifier (add proficiency bonus if proficient with light armor)
Composite Plating (armor) Medium armor proficiency 13 + your Dexterity modifier (maximum of 2) + your proficiency bonus.
Heavy Plating (armor) Heavy armor proficiency 16 + your proficiency bonus; disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common.

Mimic Traits
Your mimic has the following traits:
Ability Score increase
Your charisma increases by 1
Your Intelligence decreased by 2

Set Form: You cannot change your armor out for anything, you cannot wear armor unless it can be worn over armor (cape, cloak, etc) and it cannot be enchanted

Shapechanger The mimic can use its action to polymorph into an object(your current armor)

False Appearance (Object Form Only): While the mimic remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from an ordinary object.

Unassuming(Object Form Only): You may add your proficiency bonus to deception and performance checks when pretending to be a normal object. If you are already proficient in Deception or performance then add half your proficiency bonus on top of your normal proficiency to your rolls. Note: a suit of armor standing in the middle of the woods will be suspicious no matter what

Living Weapon: As a Shape shifting mimic you can use your teeth and tongue to make unarmed attacks

Bite: 1d4+STR Piercing damage
Tongue Lash: 1d4+STR Bludgeoning damage

Racial Feats

Living Armor:
Prerequisite: Mimic Subrace.
Add 1 to your AC and increase an ability score of your choice by 1, you may take this feat a total of three times.

Living Weapon:
Prerequisite: Mimic Subrace
Add 1 to your unarmed attack and damage rolls, and increase the damage die from a D4 to a D6. You may take this feat again until your damage die is d10 and at a plus 3