PDA

View Full Version : What is Stout Resilience Worth?

TaiLiu
2019-03-11, 11:09 PM
Long story short, I'm about to start playing a Stout Halfling Barbarian fluffed as a werewolf, and my DM and I were talking about trading some Halfling abilities for werewolf-like ones. Two of the trades he suggested was trading off Stout Resilience for (a) Darkvision, or (b) advantage on checks related to smell or sound.

The first trade seems exceptionally poor, especially considering how common Darkvision is. The second seems to be an even trade - is this assessment correct? Resistance against poison damage and advantage on poison saves is very good, but Perception checks are also very common.

Galithar
2019-03-11, 11:47 PM
Long story short, I'm about to start playing a Stout Halfling Barbarian fluffed as a werewolf, and my DM and I were talking about trading some Halfling abilities for werewolf-like ones. Two of the trades he suggested was trading off Stout Resilience for (a) Darkvision, or (b) advantage on checks related to smell or sound.

The first trade seems exceptionally poor, especially considering how common Darkvision is. The second seems to be an even trade - is this assessment correct? Resistance against poison damage and advantage on poison saves is very good, but Perception checks are also very common.

The value of darkvision is campaign/DM dependent. In a campaign run by me, for example, you'd probably be begging for darkvision by level 2 (unless you have a friendly caster willing to cast darkvision on you daily, or the party is willing to travel with torches/light spells all the time). But for the most part I'd agree with your assessment that the darkvision trade is not worth it, but advantage on perception checks is.

ChildofLuthic
2019-03-12, 10:45 AM

Darkvision is super common in 5e so I've noticed DMs do one of two things with darkness. 1) They just put a light everywhere because everyone can see in the dark anyway. 2) They get super frustrated that most players aren't too affected by darkness so they extra screw over the one player that IS affected. So figure out which one your DM is and then decide.

stoutstien
2019-03-12, 11:42 AM
Darkvision is super common in 5e so I've noticed DMs do one of two things with darkness. 1) They just put a light everywhere because everyone can see in the dark anyway. 2) They get super frustrated that most players aren't too affected by darkness so they extra screw over the one player that IS affected. So figure out which one your DM is and then decide.
If you run darkvision/ darkness where they have disadvantage on perception and can only see shades of grey it no longer a I win button

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-12, 12:06 PM
If you run darkvision/ darkness where they have disadvantage on perception and can only see shades of grey it no longer a I win button

what "is no longer a[n] I win button"?
darkvision? if so, then that implies darkvision is an I win button. so would you clarify how that is?

stoutstien
2019-03-12, 12:42 PM
what "is no longer a[n] I win button"?
darkvision? if so, then that implies darkvision is an I win button. so would you clarify how that is?
DV is so wide spread that if you are facing an npc in the dark it's safe to assume that they have it.

I lot of players dont realize how much disadvantage on perception hurts. If a player has a PP of 15 and are in darkness it's 10. 10 is not a hard stealth check to beat so yeah the rogue may get a surprise attack off but my also be in trouble with the 5 goblins they didn't see in the gloom.

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-12, 01:36 PM

Poison damage is common, especially in certain campaigns (Chult, I am looking at you). Half damage to the most common (non BSP) damage type is nice...
Poisoned condition isn't as common, I have only seen it come up 3 times in 4 years.

Darkvision is gained by spell or light source.
Advantage to smell/sound to what end? Most DMs don't lean on those senses much. Advantage on perception checks to against stealth? Negate dis/advantage on unseen targets?

stoutstien
2019-03-12, 04:28 PM
Poison damage is common, especially in certain campaigns (Chult, I am looking at you). Half damage to the most common (non BSP) damage type is nice...
Poisoned condition isn't as common, I have only seen it come up 3 times in 4 years.

Darkvision is gained by spell or light source.
Advantage to smell/sound to what end? Most DMs don't lean on those senses much. Advantage on perception checks to against stealth? Negate dis/advantage on unseen targets?

Flavor wise I'd take smell/sound. "I can smell your fear."
"I hear your heart racing"
Flavor wise it's a win

TaiLiu
2019-03-21, 05:52 PM
Thanks for responding, everyone! I asked the DM for some clarifications and apparently the sound/smell advantage thing was significantly more limited than I expected, so I decided to keep Stout Resilience. :smallsmile: