PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Proto-idea for a one-shot campaign

Capt Spanner
2019-03-12, 10:46 AM
The idea is to run a short dungeon run type session, where the players are trying to obtain some super-powerful artefact and prevent it falling into the wrong hands.

I want a reasonably large party for this: 6-8 characters.

In the sign ups I tell the players that I'm going to be super insistent on my "no evil characters, don't make the sort of character who's kind of a **** to the party, no PvP" rules, which are normal when I run games.

Once the players are signed up, I send this message:

So I've been thinking, and it would be fun to have 'the wrong hands' be someone in the party who betrays them. Because I trust you to do it well, would you like to do this?

You'd have to keep it absolutely secret until the point you betray them, though. If anyone rumbles you as planning to betray them, they'll be allowed to attack and kill your character, if they can.

Feel free to discuss plans with me ahead of time, since you'll have a source feeding you information on the inside I can give you a heads up on what's there.

Then I send this message to the players on the public chat:

Your research beforehand has found this rough map of the dungeon. *Posts map*. Also, just for fun there's going to be one player amongst you trying to steal the artefact. But I'm not telling you who, and they've got to keep it secret too. Bwahahahaha. Have fun figuring it out!

So here's the catch:

ALL the players get the "want to betray the party?" message. They're all in it, believing they've got to fit in with a good party but at some point it will turn out that they're not.

The rough map will be real, and while I'll have more detailed plans for the day I'll be encouraging everyone to try to come up with a plan. I'll also be able to modify my exact plans a little bit to accommodate players' plans, as long as what I tell everyone remains consistent.

It will either end with (from most to least preferable) a mad and chaotic gambit pileup as everyone triggers their plans at the end, a massive PvP brawl, a massive IRL brawl, or me getting hanged from the balcony.

Has anyone tried anything similar? Any ideas or cautions for how to make sure I'm more likely to get earlier results and less likely to get the later results?

Grod_The_Giant
2019-03-12, 12:19 PM
Paranoia works kind of like that. Everyone gets a public mission and a secret mission, and spy-verses-spy nonsense is highly encouraged. On the other hand, everyone also gets six lives, so having someone trip you into a bottomless pit is less upsetting.

For this... I wouldn't spring it on the party out of nowhere. Make it clear from recruitment that there will be *a* traitor, so people know to expect that sort of thing before they agree to play.

jayem
2019-03-12, 02:44 PM
For this... I wouldn't spring it on the party out of nowhere. Make it clear from recruitment that there will be *a* traitor, so people know to expect that sort of thing before they agree to play.

At the half way point, I was thinking the OP doesn't sound good. Lying with the GM's hat on betrays a trust. Reading on it's a bit better because at the start they all know what's going on (enough), so it isn't totally out of nowhere.
That said rework the sign-up, you aren't going to be super insistent on no PvP so don't say that you will be. Say something similar. You want them to be a character the team can trust to work with them without ****ish behaviour ... (so ask for it).
Tell them that you will tell the others at an appropriate time.