PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Roleplay suggestions please.

KyleG
2019-03-12, 12:32 PM
I have a character I want to play that I want some suggestions on how to play without being 'that broody dark guy' too much.

So he was a husband and father before their brutal murder and despite everything the perpetrators got away with it. So he joins a militia for about 5 years to 'get away'. When he returns with what he deems the skills to exact some revenge (he was a scholar prior, although raised by a soldier) he finds all those involved in the situation have moved across the realm. So he is Gerald Butler in Law Abiding Citizen more or less at this point.

As fate would have it makes a deal with an otherworldly Patron '6 for 6', thinking he would have to kill an extra 6 people to exact his revenge. The reality is 646 is the name of our Patron who is seeking to complete a list created a very long time ago which was of 646 names. I don't know how many names are left on the list after all this time but it is certainly more than 6. I also think the one other thing that our Patron extracts is the memory of WHO the 6 are on the PCs list from him. The patron is bound to include them in his hunt but only upon killing them will the PC know that the target was one of his. The tattoo on his arm the only warning sign a target is around either revealing a name once close to a target or glowing once the name of a target is spoken by someone.

I really want to play him at some point, DM permitting, but I also need him to be sympathetic to accompanying a party. I think by him not knowing the names of his own personal targets he will be less single minded in his actions and more agreeable to a party but still welcome your roleplay thoughts.

Hackulator
2019-03-12, 02:24 PM
It's kind of hard to avoid being "broody dark guy" when your backstory is "guy whose family was murdered and he sold his soul for revenge". I mean, you can just choose not to RP that way, but it feels kind of forced. I suppose you could play as a character who is just mentally shattered and a lunatic at this point, something like a non-evil version of the joker, so as opposed to broody dark guy you are just a maniac.

KyleG
2019-03-12, 02:59 PM
It's kind of hard to avoid being "broody dark guy" when your backstory is "guy whose family was murdered and he sold his soul for revenge". I mean, you can just choose not to RP that way, but it feels kind of forced. I suppose you could play as a character who is just mentally shattered and a lunatic at this point, something like a non-evil version of the joker, so as opposed to broody dark guy you are just a maniac.

Fair Call. Maybe he also looses his memory of the past as part of the deal but the deal was struck so both parties to it have to act on the contract now.

I also just like the idea of this character who is so bent on revenge he is willing to do what he hates the most and the price he pays for it. Not to mention I had this idea that he might discover the patrons goal and/or he discovers that the actual murderer of his family is now dead and was the previous warlock of this patron working his way thru the list.

Actually my patron is possibly my fav part of this character. A Hexblade, once a sentient weapon bound to an individual sent out to kill certain people. When the wielder was killed and the weapon destroyed the sentience became trapped in the shadow craving a new body. Once the warlock completes the list his body becomes the new host as the living embodiment of the hexblade.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-12, 03:10 PM

Make it part of the deal. With part of your soul, he takes something away from you that defines you that you don't want, of his choosing. He takes away your darkness, your sadism, your vindictiveness, your hatred. You become a nicer, happier version of yourself, and he ends up with a blackened soul that's perfect nightmare fuel for one of his creations. The Patron ends up with two servants for the cost of one.

If I was the DM, I'd have the Warlock have to face off against one of these creations later on down the line.

KyleG
2019-03-15, 01:22 PM
I like this idea save for without all of those aspects of ones personality that killer instinct is lost and so why would they adventure.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-15, 02:47 PM
I like this idea save for without all of those aspects of ones personality that killer instinct is lost and so why would they adventure.

Rather than being led by vengeance, he's being led by justice.

Imagine you had a Warlock in your party that sold part of his soul to take down the killers of his family, and he says he wants to go on this massive quest "because it's the right thing to do", and that the bad guys "must go to trial for their crimes". You'd think that would be really weird right? That 'unnatural' feeling is exactly what you'd expect when interacting with someone who had a part of their personality ripped out of them haphazardly. He still wants to adventure, see the world, and he still wants to see something done about his family's death, but it no longer has any vindictiveness to it.

Perhaps he's conflicted by it (like all of this dark thoughts just make him feel very clueless and empty?) or maybe he wants to eventually undo his part of the bargain so that he can feel as strongly about his family as he should. Like this false "white knight" he's turned in to isn't bringing the kind of trauma that their deaths deserved.

It would be a rather interesting concept. Edgelord, turned White Knight, on a quest to become an Edgelord again because he feels bad about not feeling bad.

KyleG
2019-03-15, 03:07 PM
Rather than being led by vengeance, he's being led by justice.

Imagine you had a Warlock in your party that sold part of his soul to take down the killers of his family, and he says he wants to go on this massive quest "because it's the right thing to do", and that the bad guys "must go to trial for their crimes". You'd think that would be really weird right? That 'unnatural' feeling is exactly what you'd expect when interacting with someone who had a part of their personality ripped out of them haphazardly. He still wants to adventure, see the world, and he still wants to see something done about his family's death, but it no longer has any vindictiveness to it.

Perhaps he's conflicted by it (like all of this dark thoughts just make him feel very clueless and empty?) or maybe he wants to eventually undo his part of the bargain so that he can feel as strongly about his family as he should. Like this false "white knight" he's turned in to isn't bringing the kind of trauma that their deaths deserved.

It would be a rather interesting concept. Edgelord, turned White Knight, on a quest to become an Edgelord again because he feels bad about not feeling bad.

I stand corrected. I love this idea. Any suggestions how to tie that to my 646 hexblade idea?

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-15, 04:06 PM
I stand corrected. I love this idea. Any suggestions how to tie that to my 646 hexblade idea?

The patron is a merchant, who barters many things across the planes. Like a person version of a black market. But rather that bartering physical goods, he barters parts of the beings' souls. Devas who wish to become mortal, Aasimar who wish to be forgiven for their crimes, Modron who want to forget about chaos and rejoin their people. These beings have plenty of power, and no individuality, no personality. Humanoids always are willing to do whatever it takes to gain power.

For each bargain, 646 divides the resource into 6 pieces, gives two to himself, and passes the remaining 4 onto other traders who want what you just sold away. You sold your ambition, your hatred, your passion, and many other things. And in return, you have someone's mastery over weapons, the ability to enchant your blade, the power to drain someone's soul, and to cast magic.

His name is just his system. 6 to 4 to 6 to 4 etc.. Rather, you sell 6 things to get 4 back which buys him 6 more.

Killing those who have those essences of yours will return those aspects to you. However, a Deva with Ambition, or a Modron with Passion might be a much bigger deal than it originally sounds.

AceOfFools
2019-03-16, 01:29 AM
You could make him a cheerful sadist. He spent all those years training, and learning how to summon 646 constantly imagining the vengeance, which has left him... off. Left alone, he doesn't brood, but looks into the distance, and smiles, as if thinking about a wonderful future. He's outgoing and pleasant, but gets creepily excited about the killing when it starts. (Dark, but not brooding).

You could make his mission one of hope and absolution. Maybe in his travels he met another woman, and he wants to give this "love" and "family" thing another go, only... they both know there's unfinished business with the people he lost. Being already involved in the demon game, she suggested this as a way to find closure, and hey, it's not like she regrets her bargain with 646. His character arch is learning that revenge doesn't help him get closure, and that the only thing standing in the way of his happiness and new love was himself all along. (Hopeful, but with light brooding, unless you GM goes with the cliche twist of the new lady only using you to try to get out her bargain with her demon, but BAH on that I say).

You could play up his dad qualities. Play him as the caring, if a little doofy, type, whose wordly experiences leave him prepared. He's the disciplined--but supportive and caring--center of the team of younger people, who he comes to see as surrogate children. Whenever the whole demonic pact thing comes up, people are always surprised, but he's got this whole spiel about how growing up is all about learning to make deals with the world as it is to get what you need out of it. (No brooding, and more mature, realpolitik dark rather than an edgy dark).

...I'm going to have to play dad warlock the next chance I get. The idea is too good.

follacchioso
2019-03-16, 05:01 PM
It's a nice background, it could make for a good story.

Does the list of six extra people to kill include any or all of the members of your party?

If you don't want to play it too dark, you could make that as part of the pact, your patron erased your memory of having been a father at all. You've accepted these terms because you could not stand the pain and sadness any more. At the moment you only know that your mission is to kill twelve people for a very strong reason, although you don't remember anymore why.

Particle_Man
2019-03-16, 06:17 PM

The very dark version: Your memories are taken from you and you are hurled back in time a bit. Some of the people on your kill list include your own spouse and kids to ensure your creation for 646's purposes.

The lighter version: All of the people on your list are really, really bad guys. Demons, in fact. Welcome to the blood war, soldier!

The much lighter version: Adam West as Batman, citizen! You tend to go for non-lethal damage where possible, so as to bring people to justice.

Verble
2019-03-16, 10:55 PM
It seems to me that you're deciding too much of your own background, writing your own story. I try to leave things a bit more open ended so it allows the DM their own creativity in fitting your story into the world and other characters story arcs. That way there is more surprise as you discover your situation, rather than writing it all out ahead of time.

But I suppose it's not bad to have a few ideas/hooks for your DM to play on.

KyleG
2019-03-21, 05:55 AM
It seems to me that you're deciding too much of your own background, writing your own story. I try to leave things a bit more open ended so it allows the DM their own creativity in fitting your story into the world and other characters story arcs. That way there is more surprise as you discover your situation, rather than writing it all out ahead of time.

But I suppose it's not bad to have a few ideas/hooks for your DM to play on.

That's a subject I struggle with a lot...how much is too much? But this doesnt seem to much to me. Scholars family killed, seeks peace (ironically in army), seeks revenge via pact, agrees to terms. Begins adventure. Maybe the deal is less concrete and he doesnt want vengeance to start with but that desire is what grows in him as he adventures (to seek peace) and gains power from this voice in his head urging him to become stronger to do what is right and serve justice.

KyleG
2019-04-08, 01:07 PM
The very dark version: Your memories are taken from you

That is him. He has this blank spot no memories of his family. He knows he was married, because he has been told, but cant remember what they look like, what they were called, how his life was with her etc.
Perhaps that has all been replaced with a desire to provide justice. Perhaps this is how the patron views vengeance and isnt your typical evil entity, after all it wasnt always bound to the shadowfell.
Does that sound ok?
1 less roleplaying question I have...the internet is giving me mixed answers. Between hexblades curse and blade pact, can I use my cha modifier in an off hand weapon for bonus action attack without the dw feat. If not is it a viable build if I dont want to go gwm or range, and dont really want to so sword and board?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-08, 01:23 PM
That is him. He has this blank spot no memories of his family. He knows he was married, because he has been told, but cant remember what they look like, what they were called, how his life was with her etc.
Perhaps that has all been replaced with a desire to provide justice. Perhaps this is how the patron views vengeance and isnt your typical evil entity, after all it wasnt always bound to the shadowfell.
Does that sound ok?
1 less roleplaying question I have...the internet is giving me mixed answers. Between hexblades curse and blade pact, can I use my cha modifier in an off hand weapon for bonus action attack without the dw feat. If not is it a viable build if I dont want to go gwm or range, and dont really want to so sword and board?

If you have Hex Warrior and Pact of the Blade, both weapons can use Charisma, but the offhand weapon won't be able to add your modifier to the damage due to the TWF rules. To get around that, you need the Two Weapon Fighting Style, from either Fighter or Ranger.

Malphegor
2019-04-08, 01:41 PM
Might be worth noting that Spider-Man’s early motivation was linked to avenging kinda the inaction that let evil to win.

Your backstory is sad, and tragic. That doesn’t mean you have to be. Your power comes from a dark source, but you could be a Friendly Neighbourhood Warlock just as much as a I Am The Niiiiight Warlock.

PastorofMuppets
2019-04-08, 01:43 PM
I don’t know if this helps but a warlock I made for an upcoming game is going to be more of a happy to see the world kind of guy. Maybe his family was murdered or some other horrible thing but he doesn’t know. All he knows is that he was raised in a boring old orphanage under the protection of a boring old holy order and expected to become yet another sour faced paladin of devotion like all the rest. One night as he was praying for an alternative path, something that could lead to fun and adventure he heard a voice from inside himself explain what his true power could be if he was brave enough to try something new. He hastily agreed and became a fiend pact warlock with his next level instead of swearing his Oath of paladining and has never looked back.

KyleG
2019-04-08, 01:53 PM
Yeah, that's the conclusion I was drawing. Ok so without it that's only a loss of -5 hp once I'm up to 20 in cha, so while not optimal that doesn't seem like a huge loss for role play flavour. At early levels that is harsh but is that the end of the world?
Shortswords (1d6 +3) + (1d6) or longsword 1d10 +3.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-08, 02:25 PM
I mean, if you want to get around that, you can just take a single level into Fighter. Or hell, start a level into Fighter, which gets you access to heavy armor. With the 13 Strength needed to multiclass, you'd be able to have 16 AC with Chain Mail (75gp). To get that much AC with Medium Armor and Dexterity, a Halfplate will cost you 10x as much.

KyleG
2019-04-08, 04:15 PM
Str of 10 so not an option. Think ill try it without the cha mod, its how ive pictured this character since October so now im getting to play him it just wouldnt be right to go againat that for now.
Now to figure out some more personality for this guy with huge blanks in his memory, which he is well aware of but doesnt mind. I want to continue the Unlawful Citizen idea with him dishing out justice, maybe not so vindictively as Gerald butlers character because his motivation for that is in those missing memories. Maybe just a tinge of the equalizer.

Particle_Man
2019-04-08, 05:13 PM

Are you also going to include the "travels back in time and kills his own family without realizing it" part? Because that was why I called it the very dark version.

Sorta like the villain Callisto in Xena, only with her it was less amnesia and more she became so evil in seeking vengeance that she didn't see that much wrong with killing them when the time came.

KyleG
2019-04-08, 07:27 PM
Im not, but who knows what the dm is going to do. I've just included info I like but not committed to on the patrons goals, the holes in memories aspect which I want, and we are working on his motivations now in the present where he is living with these holes in his memory. Its like he remembers having a house and that someone else lived there just not how it felt, what they looked like, there name or anything about them. And he doesnt care to find out, he has no desire to know which is why when he kills specific people and gets fleeting flashes its going to confuse him even as these memories also vanish.

Kane0
2019-04-10, 05:53 PM
I have a character I want to play that I want some suggestions on how to play without being 'that broody dark guy' too much.

-Snip-

I really want to play him at some point, DM permitting, but I also need him to be sympathetic to accompanying a party. I think by him not knowing the names of his own personal targets he will be less single minded in his actions and more agreeable to a party but still welcome your roleplay thoughts.

In those years away, he met other people. Colleagues, friends, lovers. He has experienced more of the world and has slowly learned to cope with his inner demons including those he brought upon himself in his weaker moments.
Yes, he still spends plenty of time brooding. But he has learned to not let it get the best of him. With effort he can put things aside and enjoy what he still has, without forgetting what he has lost.

KyleG
2019-04-11, 06:28 AM
In those years away, he met other people. Colleagues, friends, lovers. He has experienced more of the world and has slowly learned to cope with his inner demons including those he brought upon himself in his weaker moments.
Yes, he still spends plenty of time brooding. But he has learned to not let it get the best of him. With effort he can put things aside and enjoy what he still has, without forgetting what he has lost.

Iv leant away from inner demons are this is now the more scholarly type he once was, albiet with some service under his belt. Mayhaps he is looking to be of service once more.

Honest Tiefling
2019-04-12, 01:05 PM
Perhaps that has all been replaced with a desire to provide justice. Perhaps this is how the patron views vengeance and isnt your typical evil entity, after all it wasnt always bound to the shadowfell. Does that sound ok?

I might be a little late to the party, but I think this is a good idea if you want to avoid the typical 'GRIMDARK EDGELORD' thing. He's obviously on some mission of questionable intent, but he could be working for something like a fallen fey that's more interested in achieving vengeance than domination or corruption. That, and you'd think a scholar would probably balk at making a deal with your typical fiendish outsider, anyway. At least the ones with a decent wisdom score.

Another idea is that he HASN'T met other nice people, as his dark patron keeps trying to get him to murder not-so-nice people. Not really a great way to meet decent folks, is it? However, what if Six Four Six has other plans? His patron could tell him to instead work with a certain group of folks for its own reasons. Maybe it has a particular interest (in a non-murdery way) in one of the party members. Maybe the patron feels like it needs to encourage the player character to form some positive bonds before he goes off the deep end. Or something about the party reminds him of his life before, and Six Four Six wants him to remember why he does what he does to keep him on the correct path.

So instead of forming a bond with an NPC, he is beginning to form them with the party itself.

KyleG
2019-04-12, 03:52 PM
That's kinda cool.
I think 646 is completing an ancient mission killing certain people/types of people? The reality is that 646 wants to return to the material plan and for that he needs a weapon and Liam is going to become that weapon. Im even planning to have liams hand sort of go partially collosus as his pact weapon forms and this affect will grow as the list gets closer to completion. And 646 has been working on this list for a long time. Liam is not the first to strike this specific pact but 646 is hoping to complete the list and make liam the last.

Anderlith
2019-04-12, 04:30 PM
So your the guy from Momento with a demonic Patron instead of the cop? You concept has a LOT of edge, & I’m not sure where to dull it. Maybe give yourself at least one touchstone, like your kid surviving that way you have someone/something to go home to instead of self destructing

KyleG
2019-04-12, 05:08 PM
So your the guy from Momento with a demonic Patron instead of the cop? You concept has a LOT of edge, & I’m not sure where to dull it. Maybe give yourself at least one touchstone, like your kid surviving that way you have someone/something to go home to instead of self destructing

Had to look that up but after all this discussion i would say a summary would be more like:

Man's family dies.
Perpetrators escape justice
in moment of despair man makes deal, justice and peace.
deal isnt as clean cut. 6 for 6 is what he believed he was making. Kill 6 of the entities choosing for 6 of his own.
Entity IS 646, his list having been worked on for a very long time. How long it is now is unknown.
As part of the peace part of the pact 646 removes all memories leaving gaps, scenes with missing players, half formed feelings .
Man sets off with only vague feeling of where to go, but a sense of justice as his driving force?

More like Dhalinar in The Way of Kings. But really the above could still be tweaked. A week before our first game, so plenty of time to get him right.
I've given my ideas of the hexblades motivations to the DM whether that ends up being a relatively benign motivation (justice being confused with vengeance), or the less benign (wanted a new vessel, turning character INTO said living weapon). It's MY character i have to find the motivation for currently so i know how to play him. The typical, why is he out here adventuring idea, particularly because he doesn't remember the tragedy (although he has been told of it)

Anderlith
2019-04-12, 05:20 PM
Had to look that up but after all this discussion i would say a summary would be more like:

Man's family dies.
Perpetrators escape justice
in moment of despair man makes deal, justice and peace.
deal isnt as clean cut. 6 for 6 is what he believed he was making. Kill 6 of the entities choosing for 6 of his own.
Entity IS 646, his list having been worked on for a very long time. How long it is now is unknown.
As part of the peace part of the pact 646 removes all memories leaving gaps, scenes with missing players, half formed feelings .
Man sets off with only vague feeling of where to go, but a sense of justice as his driving force?

More like Dhalinar in The Way of Kings. But really the above could still be tweaked. A week before our first game, so plenty of time to get him right.
I've given my ideas of the hexblades motivations to the DM whether that ends up being a relatively benign motivation (justice being confused with vengeance), or the less benign (wanted a new vessel, turning character INTO said living weapon). It's MY character i have to find the motivation for currently so i know how to play him. The typical, why is he out here adventuring idea, particularly because he doesn't remember the tragedy (although he has been told of it)

Dalinar is top tier character, but your guy has nothing to relate him to that besides memory loss.

You could have it that your Hexblade is forged from your own memories & so you have little to know knowledge of life before the Pact, slowly regaining it with every murder

KyleG
2019-04-12, 05:36 PM
Dalinar is top tier character, but your guy has nothing to relate him to that besides memory loss.

You could have it that your Hexblade is forged from your own memories & so you have little to know knowledge of life before the Pact, slowly regaining it with every murder

That is where the similarity ends but it is the way he describes his memory loss.
Recovering his memories is also something ive been playing with. Or even not recovering them outright but flashes that disappear when he tries to lock onto them. Maybe with the last target he finally sees his wife. But that's long game stuff. Its the now Im working on the motivations for because I dont think at this stage he cares either way about the memories...indifferent.

KyleG
2019-04-13, 03:01 AM
I think (although not committed) that these are his traits:
PERSONALITY TRAITS
I face problems head-on. A simple direct solution is the best path to success.
I fear failure. Failure to find the answers. Failure to complete my goal.

IDEALS
Fairness. No one should get preferential treatment before the law, and no one is above the law. (Lawful)

BONDS
There was a miscarriage of justice. Someday i will have my revenge.
I fight for those whom cannot fight for themselves.

FLAWS
My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning and I harbor dark bloodthirsty thoughts that my time as a soldier failed to quell.
Not only am I good at what I do, but I love what I do - and I hate myself for it.