PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Mountain Dwarf Eldritch Knight 5e Build Example... Thoughts? Advice?

crowsandbones
2019-03-12, 12:34 PM
Thought i'd post about my Eldritch Knight build and see what people think about him...

He crafts Beard Potions which is a homebrew idea that I came up with and my DM ran with it.
Each beard potion is a +1 to an ability score for 8 hours, but I can only apply one beard potion per long rest.
Starting with 3 potions @ lvl 1(+1 to INT, WIS, CHA), I gain a potion at each level thereafter(+1 to DEX, CON, STR).
At lvl 4 I will have access to a rotating stat bump to a max of twenty. we haven't talked about utility beard potions,
like a beard potion of buoyancy(acting like a temporary ring of waterwalking or something along those lines but i hope
that can happen.)

So to get back on track, lets talk about Dougal Torrun. He is a level 3 Mountain Dwarf Eldritch Knight(battleaxe and a shield). My DM
gave me the Ruby of the Warmage for my axe to negate the need for the Warcaster feat, and my weapon bond got changed from a
bonus action to a free action. OKOKOK, so here is how I see him evolving:

His current stats are as follows:
AC:19(chainmail, shield, Defense Fighting Style)
HP:30

Str:18
Dex:11
Con:16
Int: 11
Wis:9
Cha:8

Cantrips: Booming Blade, Chill Touch, Green-flame Blade
Spells(lvl 1): Shield, Chromatic orb, False Life(swapping for Expeditious Retreat @ lvl 4), Absorb Elements
Spells(lvl 2): Misty Step, Scorching Ray, Gust of Wind
Spells(lvl 3): Haste, Lightning Bolt, Remove Curse
Spells(lvl 4): Dimension Door

Feats(In order):
Lucky
Versatile Weapon Master(DM approved from a DMSGuild supplement)
Mobile
Magic Initiate(cantrips:Shocking Grasp, Message. Lvl 1 spell: Longstrider)
Sentinel? Charger? Sheildmaster?
Alert
Bulwark(from the DMSGuild Supplement)
Diehard(from the DMSGuild Supplement)

Magic Items
Brooch of Shielding(attuned)
Enchanted stealthy Chainmail (negates Disadvantage on stealth rolls - makes it a regular roll)

I want to swap the Brooch of Shielding for a Headband of Intellect
and also pick up a manual of gainful excersize and boots of speed.
This leaves an open attunement slot and Im not sure what to look for to fill that spot.
Anybody have constructive criticism or ideas to optimizing my weirdo character?

crowsandbones
2019-03-12, 12:38 PM
I also plan on upgrading my armor to full plate when I get the opportunity.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-12, 12:39 PM
You should probably use an ASI to get that Str to 20 unless you have it in good faith that you will get a belt of Str sooner or later

Foxhound438
2019-03-12, 12:47 PM
I'd personally pick one blade cantrip or the other, and have a utility cantrip. I'd also probably skip chill touch early on since you don't have a big Int before your headband comes in, so starting with maybe booming blade and mage hand or something would work nicely.

As for the third attunement slot, I'd look into a magic weapon that does more than give you +x. I don't know what all weapons in the DMG require attunement off the top of my head, but if you can get something like a dwarven thrower, or a staff of striking (it's versatile, so I'd assume it'd work for whatever your VWM feat gives), or a sunblade.

crowsandbones
2019-03-12, 01:02 PM
You should probably use an ASI to get that Str to 20 unless you have it in good faith that you will get a belt of Str sooner or later

With Versatile weapon master, i get +1 to str and it allows me to use the damage value in parenthesis for versatile weapons, so i also get a +2 to damage rolls.
Looking for either a belt of strength(21 STR) or a manual of gainful excersize to put me at 21 str, whichever i find first.