PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen Lotion For Vampires and Vampire Spawn

Bartmanhomer
2019-03-12, 01:03 PM
Does sunscreen lotion for vampires and Vampire Spawn even exist in D&D 3.5? If not, then they really should because I'm playing a Chaotic Evil Male Vampire Spawn Bard and my character really needs to prevent sunlight.

Telonius
2019-03-12, 01:34 PM
Liquid Night, from Libris Mortis (p. 74) is what you're looking for.

GrayDeath
2019-03-12, 01:36 PM
You dont play a Twilight Vampire, so dont try to play it like a Twilight Vampire. ^^

Hackulator
2019-03-12, 02:11 PM
If you want to be able to walk around in the sun, just don't play a vampire.

inuyasha
2019-03-12, 03:25 PM
Playing something so powerful should make you try to be creative. Finding a magic bullet for your one weakness is... a little less fun I think. You're playing a vampire who can't walk around in sunlight, so try to find shaded areas, thick clothes, or even just cast darkness wherever you really need to be. If you're a bloodthirsty creature of the night, you're pretty unlikely to be making social visits anyway.

Bartmanhomer
2019-03-12, 03:36 PM
You don't play a Twilight Vampire, so don't try to play it like a Twilight Vampire. ^^I'm not even playing a Twilight campaign game. :annoyed:

If you want to be able to walk around in the sun, just don't play a vampire.
I love the challenge.

Playing something so powerful should make you try to be creative. Finding a magic bullet for your one weakness is... a little less fun I think. You're playing a vampire who can't walk around in sunlight, so try to find shaded areas, thick clothes, or even just cast darkness wherever you really need to be. If you're a bloodthirsty creature of the night, you're pretty unlikely to be making social visits anyway.

I just stick with Liquid Night thanks.

Hackulator
2019-03-12, 04:07 PM

NO FLAVOR OR RP MUST ALWAYS TAKE A BACK SEAT TO MECHANICAL SUPERIORITY! /s

I love the challenge.

I just stick with Liquid Night thanks.

You love the challenge but want to find an item that makes it no challenge?

frogglesmash
2019-03-12, 05:00 PM
Jesus Christ fellas, the guy came here for information, not to be told they're having badwrongfun.

If you're willing to use pathfinder content, there's the penumbra magical tattoo which gives you permanent sun protection.

Boci
2019-03-12, 05:03 PM

The "flavour" here being a vampire who would never use magic to overcome a weakness because, that's just not being sporty?

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with using an existing resource to overcome a weakness. Maybe if the OP expected some homebrew this "you're missing the point" would be justified, but they didn't, so it isn't.

Bartmanhomer
2019-03-12, 06:51 PM

You love the challenge but want to find an item that makes it no challenge?

Sometimes you have to take shortcuts.

Bphill561
2019-03-14, 01:54 AM
Wow, everybody is giving you a hard time. There are a fair number of vampire movies where the vampires specifically spend much of their time looking for immunity or make a big deal of it (Blade movies, John Carpenter's Vampires, True Blood, Underworld, etc.).

Not to mention, maybe the vampire is adventuring with a group that is unwilling to only work at night or the character's undead state is hidden from them.

Anyway, if you can make custom magic items I would go with Cloak of Dark Power from the Spell compendium. It has a duration of 1 min/level, so a custom continuous item would cost 2,000gp x 1 (caster level) x 1.5 (duration Modifier)= 3,000 gp. It still won't keep you safe from high level daylight spells that may cancel the effect, but it will allow you to get around.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-03-14, 02:16 AM
Not an item, but a level of Warlock gives you at-will darkness.

ShurikVch
2019-03-14, 04:21 AM
Note: Vampire have LA +8; Vampiric Dragon - +5, and Half-Dragon - +3; thus, Vampiric Half-Dragon is LA +8 too - no difference
Vampiric Dragon have less weaknesses than regular Vampires, and able to "survive exposure to direct sunlight for a number of consecutive rounds equal to its age category"
Also, if you select the right kind of Dragon, you may be immune altogether: Prismatic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/dragonEpic.htm#prismaticDragon) and Radiant dragons are immune to light!.. :smallwink:

hamishspence
2019-03-14, 07:47 AM
Also, if you select the right kind of Dragon, you may be immune altogether: Prismatic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/dragonEpic.htm#prismaticDragon) and Radiant dragons are immune to light!.. :smallwink:

Are there half-dragon templates for those though? Maybe half-radiant in Draconomicon, but I don't recall half-prismatic being present.

Rijan_Sai
2019-03-14, 12:56 PM
Are there half-dragon templates for those though? Maybe half-radiant in Draconomicon, but I don't recall half-prismatic being present.

Both are found in Races of the Dragon (pg 71 under "Half-Dragons beyond the Monster Manual"), though prismatic only has immunity to blindness, while radiant has no special immunity...

ShurikVch
2019-03-14, 01:42 PM
Both are found in Races of the Dragon (pg 71 under "Half-Dragons beyond the Monster Manual"), though prismatic only has immunity to blindness, while radiant has no special immunity...Insult to injury!
It's not enough to burden a Half-Dragon PC with LA +3 - they also completely removed the one of the very short number of things which that template gives
It's like WotC thought Half-Dragons are overpowered or something?..
The earlier versions of Half-Dragons from Evil planes (Dragon #300) got better immunities (except the Howling and Tarterian ones)

Or, maybe, WotC just hates monstrous PC?

Kalkra
2019-03-14, 07:57 PM
There a dragon mag spell that makes vampires lose some of their undead stuff, including the sunlight thing. Trying to find it.

EDIT: Found it. It's Semblance of Life from Dragon 304. Sor/Wiz 7. Looong list of things, notable ones include not being turned or rebuked, no sunlight damage, and healing heals you. You lose some stuff too though, including your immunity to mind-affecting spells.

Telok
2019-03-14, 10:14 PM
Since you mostly care about sunlight touching your skin it ought to be fine just to wear lots of heavy clothes and a layer of thick paint. You don't have any biology that needs breathable skin cover or does any sweating.

Caudex Capite
2019-03-14, 11:14 PM
Wow, everybody is giving you a hard time. There are a fair number of vampire movies where the vampires specifically spend much of their time looking for immunity or make a big deal of it (Blade movies, John Carpenter's Vampires, True Blood, Underworld, etc.).

Not to mention, maybe the vampire is adventuring with a group that is unwilling to only work at night or the character's undead state is hidden from them.

Anyway, if you can make custom magic items I would go with Cloak of Dark Power from the Spell compendium. It has a duration of 1 min/level, so a custom continuous item would cost 2,000gp x 1 (caster level) x 1.5 (duration Modifier)= 3,000 gp. It still won't keep you safe from high level daylight spells that may cancel the effect, but it will allow you to get around.

Duration of 1 min/level is a 2x multiplier for continuous items, not 1.5x. Still, 4000gp isn't much worse than 3000gp. More concerningly, this leaves the vampire super vulnerable to dispelling - a targeted Dispel Magic cast on the Cloak has a 75% chance to kill you outright if you can't get to shelter in a single move or attack action, and the spell effect is pretty obvious, so it isn't hard to imagine a caster would know to do so. Being trapped in an AMF is guaranteed death, too. That said, it's an abjuration with no darkness descriptor or clauses about failing in the area of a light spell, so it might actually be fine against those, funnily enough. That said, it does seem like a nice layer of defense to stack on top of Liquid Night.

There's also the Vampire Lord (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a) template, if OP has the means to acquire it. It lets the Vampire survive and act normally even in broad daylight with no protection, albeit with hefty penalties to basically everything. That's more of a long-term thing, though.

ShurikVch
2019-03-15, 12:37 PM
It may be a bit cheesy, but Wish-powered ritual in the Savage Species suggests "making a Spellcraft check for every special ability the template has - with a 5% chance to gain the ability for each point by which you exceed the DC of 20"
So, when you will Wish to become a Vampire, and roll Spellcraft for Vampire Weaknesses - "take 1" :smallamused:

Boci
2019-03-15, 03:53 PM

Absolutly. Its also in books too. Like this really obscure vampire called Dracula who could walk under the sun.