PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Domain: The Great Cat (Homebrew 1st Draft)

EndEver
2019-03-12, 01:15 PM
The Great Cat Domain

All Tibbits, Cats and Feline alike know of The Great Cat. Few if none have ever met him. Those that follow him, believe that the nature of a cat is something greater than instinct, it is a freedom to follow the tenants of what makes a feline, a feline.

Prerequisite: Feline race, Tibbit, Tabaxi, Were (cat/tiger ect) or owns a cat.

When you choose this domain, you gain the following features...

1st level:

Warrior Cats:

Feline are nimble warriors, both strong and flexible with an uncanny ability to dodge attacks at the last second. However they prefer not to wear amour as such and show their well-groomed coat with pride in battle.

They have a natural AC of 13 + Dex modifier and gain proficiency with Finesse Weapons, and Shields

Curious Cats:

Curiosity is in your nature and following the great cat means pushing curiosity even further:

You learn 1 cantrip from another class. In addition you learn a 1st Level spell of your choice which can be cast once per short/long rest.

2nd Level:

Channel Divinity

Stealthy Cats:

At level 2, you can use your channel divinity to take on the essence of silence and stealth. For the next hour you have advantage on all stealth checks.

6th Level:

Quick Cats:

A feline fighter utilizes many quick strikes in battle. When you take the attack action, you may attack twice (extra attack rules).

8th Level:

Nocturnal Cats:

As master of the night, you can see and hide extremely well in the dark. You now have advantage on attacks that take place in darkness or dim light

17th Level:

9 lives:

Perhaps the trademark of the feline race itself. Your devotion to the great cat and the feline ways allows you to utilize and understand this ability like never before.

Once per short rest you can cast Mirror Image with the following additions:

You create 8 additional images

With 8 images: Roll 3+ on D20 to succed
7 Roll 5+
6 Roll 7+
5 Roll 9+
4 Roll 11+
3 Roll 13+
2 Roll 15+
1 Roll 17+

Spells

The spells reflect the many different aspects of the feline race. Bad Omens to others, lucky themselves, able to survive falls from many heights, quick, cunning, elegant, charming, curious, deadly and nimble in stalking prey

CL Spells

1st: Hex, Feather Fall

3rd: Mirror Image, Misty Step

5th: Blink, Catnap

7th: Greater Invisibility, Locate Creature

9th: Geas, Animate Ojects

Note: I tried to follow the general domain mold while being balanced, holding true to cats and making something I thought would be fun. Open to feedback, especially balance with the other cleric domains and cat flavor. I'll have to do some more work on The Great Cat deity and his followers. It's my first homebrew attempt but I definantly enjoyed it

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-12, 01:28 PM
Volo's suggested the trickery domain for Tabaxi, but it didn't exactly fit.
This feels a little more kitty shaped.

martial weapons seems wrong. maul doesn't fit with nimble. all simple + finesse, maybe?

9 lives should only generate 8 other images (you are the 9th).
the static 3 is too strong. you can bypass 8 consecutive attacks.
consider adding 2 for each kitty lost?
8 images = 3+
7 images = 5+
1 image = 17+

i like the domain spells except 9th level: why those?

EndEver
2019-03-12, 01:37 PM
Volo's suggested the trickery domain for Tabaxi, but it didn't exactly fit.
This feels a little more kitty shaped.

martial weapons seems wrong. maul doesn't fit with nimble. all simple + finesse, maybe?

9 lives should only generate 8 other images (you are the 9th).
the static 3 is too strong. you can bypass 8 consecutive attacks.
consider adding 2 for each kitty lost?
8 images = 3+
7 images = 5+
1 image = 17+

i like the domain spells except 9th level: why those?

Yeah I was torn with martial. I was kinda thinking Tiger Lions and Panther feels for more martial weapons but finesse seems more legit. Or maybe even versatile:

Thanks for the notes on the 9 lives: I’ll try and adjust that to be more level.

I was pretty lost with the spells at level 9. None seemed to give me that “cat feel” and still be useful. Geas made me think of how cats seem to own their humans. Conjure elementals was for the curiosity feel but I do want to relook at the spells of that level.

Thanks so much for the feedback!!

Edit: I changed 9 lives, Finess and switched one 9th level spell to try and better reflect cat nature: Animate Objects replaced conjure elemental. I feel like animate objects hits that cat and it's toys vibe

NaughtyTiger
2019-03-13, 11:21 AM
Yeah I was torn with martial. I was kinda thinking Tiger Lions and Panther feels for more martial weapons but finesse seems more legit. Or maybe even versatile:

Thanks for the notes on the 9 lives: I’ll try and adjust that to be more level.

I was pretty lost with the spells at level 9. None seemed to give me that “cat feel” and still be useful. Geas made me think of how cats seem to own their humans. Conjure elementals was for the curiosity feel but I do want to relook at the spells of that level.

Thanks so much for the feedback!!

Edit: I changed 9 lives, Finess and switched one 9th level spell to try and better reflect cat nature: Animate Objects replaced conjure elemental. I feel like animate objects hits that cat and it's toys vibe

yes! animate objects feels perfect. i instantly thought ball of yarn before i read your explanation.

EndEver
2019-03-13, 12:14 PM
yes! animate objects feels perfect. i instantly thought ball of yarn before i read your explanation.

Awesome! Hopefully it satisfies all the Feline Clerics out there. Not sure how many exist though haha