PDA

View Full Version : Is Polygamy Chaotic and Evil?

BlueWitch
2019-03-12, 05:51 PM
Polygamy or Polyamory relationships I mean.
Basically like if a dude had 2 wives or more.

Is it 'Evil?'

Jeraa
2019-03-12, 05:54 PM
No, it isn't Evil. Nor is it Good, Lawful, or Chaotic. It may or may not be illegal in certain areas, but it isn't an aligned action.

frogglesmash
2019-03-12, 05:56 PM
Due to the imbalanced power dynamics that are often involved, polygamy is frequently practiced in what many would consider an immoral fashion, however nothing about polygamy, as far as I am aware, is inherently moral, or immoral.
I don't think this an easily resolved topic, and I suspect that this forum isn't the best place to discuss it. My advice would be to get the people you're playing with to put it to a vote, and just run with that, or if it seems to be too controversial for your group, just don't include it in your game.

The Jack
2019-03-12, 05:59 PM
nah, a lot of cultures needed to do it because they're low on men and want marraiges, so it's not even chaotic. Then it can later it could be continued, likely an elite priveledge after the men shortage is out, at which point people're mad because some men have more wives and they have none. If that reaches really bad levels then it sorts itself out in the next brooding war, but that's unlikely

But people used to go to war often so it wouldn't be the biggest excuse.

Traditions range from 'treat your wives super equally' and 'don't get more wives than you can support well' to 'rank your wives please so they don't dissent' so there's lots of lawful, chaotic, good and evil things you can put within the relationship, but multi-wife itself isn't inherently alligned.

Selion
2019-03-12, 06:00 PM
Polygamy or Polyamory relationships I mean.
Basically like if a dude had 2 wives or more.

Is it 'Evil?'

Why should it be evil? It may be chaotic depending on social customs
Conversely cheating in a relationship may be evil, depending in circumstances

One Step Two
2019-03-12, 06:10 PM
In a purely fantasy context, if both men and women are allowed to be legally married to multiple partners of their choosing, and it is a morally accepted norm for their culture, then it is neither chaotic or lawful, evil or good. It just is.

Context and intent matter behind these marriages though, such as:

If someone is married to multiple partners who are both kept ignorant of that fact, a man with two secret families for example, then that can be seen as Chaotic. Especially if this is used to defraud others, such as gaining multiple dowries, or taxation benefits. (Which is also a little evil, depending what they do with the money)

If someone has married multiple partners to cause harm, stress or dismay to those their other partners, then it can be considered Evil. Such as a Sorceress choosing a Harem of men and claiming them as her husbands in a town where her word is law, regardless of how they feel on the matter.

Haruki-kun
2019-03-12, 06:24 PM
The Winged Mod: Locked for review.