PDA

View Full Version : Good Non-Combat Character

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-03-12, 10:18 PM
I am currently playing a campaign, where we are all playing as elves. The campaign isn't supposed to be combat heavy, and should focus on the Role-Playing aspect of the game. We have been playing this campaign for a few weeks now. I am currently building my fourth character.

The first was a wizard, specialized in illusion, but he was scrapped at the last second after I was having a meltdown trying to decide on what spells to pick (There's so many to choose from). The next was a fighter that specialized in ranged damage, and was supposed to prestige into Order of the Bow Initiate, he was arrested and sent to jail for supposed murder of "Innocent" Drows. The Most recent was a Star Elf Bard, and he was going to become a master of masks, he specialized in Disguise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Hide, Move Silently, and Crafting Masks, he was killed off by a swarm of around 40 bats after being sent into a room by himself to look around, but the party forgot that he doesn't have dark-vision, nor did he have a torch, and he was knocked unconscious before the rest of the party even heard him scream, slowly ticking away as his party struggled to reach him.

I'm a choosing to be a bit more meticulous with this next one, I'd like it if anyone had some recommendations on what class to play, and what sub-race of elf would fit the best. My initial thoughts were to either play a Sorcerer, focus on Bluff and Knowledge Arcana, and Prestige into Mountebank, and keep himself alive in combat by feinting and using skill tricks to avoid attacks of opportunity. I also though about playing a Tank-ish monk, using a high dex and wisdom score to give myself a higher AC, and having more combat oriented features to keep myself from repeating my mistakes. The only case is, that since this is a more Role-play heavy campaign, I'm a bit more worried about focusing too much on surviving an encounter, and I don't want to be absolutely useless outside of combat, thats why I decided to rule out Barbarian and Fighter, because I'm not confident enough I could manage to play either of those classes without just sitting around, waiting for the next encounter.

I'm willing to play something Psionic, but I don't have much experience with those classes, so I don't really know what they do, or even, where to find them. I'm confident that there is an Elf Subrace that is better at the psionic classes, but I cant be sure.

I'm open for recommendations for what class and subrace to play, as well as advice for playing in a less combat oriented campaign.

For those that care
The story takes place on the continent of Eubros (pronounced Ew-br-oh-ss) This continent is one working government. It's a true democracy, and there is one representative for each philosophy (total of four). Naleism (pronounced Nay-lee-ism) is emotion based (You must be in tune with your emotions), representative called the Naley. Maylism (pronounced May-lism) is ethics based (You must respect your environment), representative called the Mayla. Voronism (pronounced Vohr-own-ism) is law based (You must treat everyone as if they are your peers), representative called the Voron. Finally, Eldredism (pronounced El-dread-ism) is knowledge based (You must learn at all opportunities) representative called the Eldred. It's believed you should keep a balance of these to live a full spiritually wealthy life. Whenever one one the representatives die the other three travel around the globe to find a new one, they believe that they are chosen by the gods to represent balance. Also every person who enters the continent as an adult must attend two months of school to prove that they won't betray the government, they really just learn simple history about Eubros and the philosophies and pledge to protect the representatives and do a physical test. This is called Newcomer School. THERE ARE NO HOUSES / FAMILY ROYALTY. In fact there is no royalty at all.

Studoku
2019-03-13, 12:53 PM
Assuming this is 3.5 (you didn't say or post it in the correct forum, but it sounds 3.5), have you considered Beguiler? It'd fit your "bluff focussed sorcerer" and gives you plenty of options out of combat while still being useful in combat. A ridiculous number of skill points too- with 6 base and int based casting you'll probably end up with more than a rogue.

Hackulator
2019-03-13, 01:09 PM
Assuming this is 3.5 (you didn't say or post it in the correct forum, but it sounds 3.5), have you considered Beguiler? It'd fit your "bluff focussed sorcerer" and gives you plenty of options out of combat while still being useful in combat. A ridiculous number of skill points too- with 6 base and int based casting you'll probably end up with more than a rogue.

Second this, Beguiler has a relatively small class spell list but you get access to all the spells on the class list so no issue with freaking out over spell selection. Try to pick up a runestaff with some damaging spells for those situations when you are fighting things that are immune to mind affecting spells and you'll be in good shape. They also get trapfinding so they can do that part of a rogues job if necessary, if you don't need that just don't put ranks in open lock or disable device.

If you had trouble picking spells for Wizard, Sorcerer will be even worse because those choices are more locked in.

Pauly
2019-04-13, 09:51 AM
For a non-combat character, I like to play a version of a river boat gambler. High on Dex and Cha. Lots of bluff and diplomacy and a penchant for hidden weapons. A dagger isn’t much of a weapon, but if it’s the only weapon in the room and it’s in your hand then you are the boss of the room.

Zakhara
2019-04-13, 12:57 PM
Though you abandoned the idea already, I would highly recommend a Magic-User, especially Wizard if you're playing 3e and onward. It's very simple to pick no damaging spells at all; playing something more universal than Illusionist may make the process simpler.

Kaptin Keen
2019-04-14, 03:25 AM
We have been playing this campaign for a few weeks now. I am currently building my fourth character.

This is in a low combat campaign? A few weeks in, and you're on your third reroll - I think maybe your GM is ... I mean, he may simply be genuinely evil :smallbiggrin:

paddyfool
2019-04-21, 09:15 PM
Beguiler does indeed do what you want. Duskblade may also be worth a look, as it shares in having a relatively limited spell list and build simplicity.

However, if you want to maximise on both ability to survive and out of combat utility, have you considered going druid? You can let your animal companion or summons tank for you until you get wildshape. Also, not having to make permanent choices about spells known / spellbook contents when building makes divine characters a tad more easy to build and forgiving than wizards or sorcerors.

How did the first 3 die?

Um... have you read the second paragraph of the post?