PDA

View Full Version : Using a spell to change physical appearance only?

Keeganwilson
2019-03-13, 06:33 AM
What's a way that a pc could permanently change their physical features?

For example a wizard has taken over a barbarians body with magic jar, how could the the wizard or any spellcaster make it feel more like home in this temporary vessel?

nickl_2000
2019-03-13, 06:35 AM

For example a wizard has taken over a barbarians body with magic jar, how could the the wizard or any spellcaster make it feel more like home in this temporary vessel?

True Polymorph would do it.

ImproperJustice
2019-03-13, 06:39 AM
I’m kinda stumped here.

It seems like all transformation or illusion effects that would acheive this require concentration and quit after an hour.

Maybe some kind of wish spell?

Edit: I missed that True Polymorph can become permanent. That seems to be the best option.

Keeganwilson
2019-03-13, 06:48 AM
True Polymorph would do it.

Wouldn't that change my physical stats back to what they were?

nickl_2000
2019-03-13, 06:52 AM
Wouldn't that change my physical stats back to what they were?

Ummm, well I am not sure on that one. That is where we are getting into DM fiat more than anything else. I personally don't see a problem with someone using a level 9 spell to permanently change their appearance, but I could see a DM ruling it differently after re-reading it.

MaxWilson
2019-03-13, 01:56 PM

Hat of Disguise.

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-03-13, 04:12 PM
Kill yourself, have someone cast reincarnate?

Dalebert
2019-03-14, 11:53 AM
Disguise self is only an hour but doesn't require concentration. Seeming is 8 hours, non-concentration. At level 18 you can pick a first & second level spell to cast at-will.

bc56
2019-03-14, 12:47 PM
Disguise self is only an hour but doesn't require concentration. Seeming is 8 hours, non-concentration. At level 18 you can pick a first & second level spell to cast at-will.

And you could choose Alter Self as your at-will.
Statistics stay the same, but you get to appear however you like, and it's your physical body changing rather than an insubstantial illusion.

MaxWilson
2019-03-14, 12:53 PM
And you could choose Alter Self as your at-will.
Statistics stay the same, but you get to appear however you like, and it's your physical body changing rather than an insubstantial illusion.

"Say, KeeganWilson the wizard, why do you change into a hulking barbarian every time you cast Haste?"

"Uh, no reason."