PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Level 10 One-Shot

Ihazturtlez
2019-03-13, 08:19 PM
Hello! We are doing a Level 10 one-shot on Friday, and I am just now thinking about my character (lol). I was thinking aobut make a Fighter/Warlock Hexblade. Is there a way to make that viable?

Open to suggestions.

Mitsu
2019-03-13, 08:32 PM
I don't really think it's worth to multi Hexblade on level 10. But if you have to I would just dip 2 warrior for Action Surge and Defense.

I woud just go GWM with Elven Accuracy. Using Two Handed Sword. Half Elf Drow for extra Darkness + Fearie Fire. Cast Darkness/Faerie Fire + Curse on first turn, take Thristing Blade invocation for extra attack and you are good to go. You will have advantage thanks to Darkness or Faerie Fire. Tripe d20 rolls, 19-20 crit on Curse if you want some enemy dead and action surge in case you need to Nova. Plus Eldricht Smite but save those for crits if you really need to burst something down. Take defense fighting style for +1 AC.

Start with 17 CHA.

Start with Fighter to get heavy armor + proficiency in CON, which is great as you will need concentration a lot as Hexblade.

ASI: level 4: Elven Accuracy, Level 8: GWM.

You should crit a lot, proccing extra GWM attack. And you will have prof in CON so your Darkness or Farie Fire should be fine. If you get plate armor you will have 19 AC + Shield spell (+5 AC) to cast on emergencies.

Crgaston
2019-03-13, 11:31 PM
You could go the other way if you're after a Darkness build. Just like Mitsu said, but Hex3/EK7, or Hex2/EK8 if you valued another ASI over the L2 Warlock slots and a Pact.. You could take Darkness as your L8 any-school pick and have 3 uses per long rest with Half-Drow. Make hay with BB+ War Magic attack. For Invocations, all you'd need would be Devils Sight, and then maybe Repelling Blast for some battlefield control. 3 ASI's would give you Elven Accuracy, GWM and 20 CHA, but Warlock 3 could give you lots more cantrips or an invisible familiar.

Citan
2019-03-15, 08:06 AM
Hello! We are doing a Level 10 one-shot on Friday, and I am just now thinking about my character (lol). I was thinking aobut make a Fighter/Warlock Hexblade. Is there a way to make that viable?

Open to suggestions.
Hi!
You have many ways to make this viable.

Depends on your Invocation choice notably.
But for example, Battlemaster 3 / Hexblade 7 can be very powerful, using Precision Attack to ensure you can use Eldricht Smite.
Even with just a 18 CHA (starting 17 + Elven Accuracy + Darkness + Devil's Sight) it will be largely enough, even if you decided to go Variant Human for GWM.

You could also make an even split of Eldricht Knight 5 / Tome Fiend Warlock 5 with 14 DEX, 16 CON and 16 CHA or even 18 CON (Resilient: Constitution) for a fearsome gish that can either turn enemies into ashes with Fireball, or put them into disarray with a Stinking Cloud that himself can go through without much problem.

Or you could go Cavalier with Fiend and play the tank, either using a debilitating mass spell and Dodge (like Stinking Cloud), or a true Elemental spike tank by stacking Fire Shield and Armor of Agathys tpo pair with Booming Blade for toughest fights.

With that said, you could also enjoy playing a 9th level Warlock with 5th level spells every short rest. The last level would be well used in any of the following...
- Sorcerer 1: 4 more cantrips for versatility, two more spells, and long-rest slots for utility.
- Cleric (Life/Grave/Nature/Order): large array of utility spells that you can change every day; spells that are great upcast (Bless, Guiding Bolt). And Domain benefits.
- Rogue: Expertise can always be helpful in several ways.

solidork
2019-03-15, 09:15 AM
I'm currently playing an EK 7/Celestial Tomelock 6, and EK 7/Hex 3 would work pretty well. This gets you:
-Solid melee damage with Cantrip + BA Attack
-Solid ranged damage with EB+Agonizing Blast
-Solid defense with Shield, Absorb Elements and Mirror Image. You get to both cast Shield more than full Hexblade (you've got 4x level 1 slots) and cast Mirror Image more than a full EK (2x Short Rest slots)