PDA

View Full Version : 5e Vampire

Legokeiki
2019-03-14, 11:23 AM
In my most recent game, I had a player that wanted to play a vampire. I tend to allow anything, Ua included, so long as it’s core, however I really don’t like the MTG vampires. I felt that making vampire a race really killed a lot of the potential, so I homebrewed a class. Kind of a pseudo-prestige class, but without prerequisites, unless you want to multi class into it. Then you’d need to be bitten my a vampire or something.

I play tested this sparring a 10th level vengeance paladin. The paladin won, as he should, but it was pretty close. I think I may need to rebalance some of the features, namely, a few the vampire traits. I think some of those might be a little too powerful.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Link to homebrew:
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkfIwFVv4
(I forgot how to make it a link, and it doesn’t show on my phone)

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-20, 04:19 AM
I love it! Here are my thoughts

The Vampiric Dice table is unclear. Two uses of 2d8?
I don't see why the natural Armor is needed? Does it accomplishes something special for the class or is it just a stat bump?
Are you sure DnD vampires don't have a reflection?
Are you sure Garlic and Holy stuff is a dnd weakness and not just a 'pop culture' weakness. Just thinking about being semi consistent with the monster manual.
You might want to consider acid and radiant damage equal to five time its level, just so a high level vampire also has to at least consider fighting in sunlight.

All in all another great take on the vampire. I currently have an Arcane Trickster Rogue in my group which we've tweaked to function lika a vampire, using Second Wind as Regeneration and picking vampire-esque spells. I'm guessing it's the Vampiric Traits that really set your class aside from all the other Vampire Homebrewes. I'll take a look at them in a different post.

Legokeiki
2019-08-25, 11:05 AM
I love it! Here are my thoughts

The Vampiric Dice table is unclear. Two uses of 2d8?
I don't see why the natural Armor is needed? Does it accomplishes something special for the class or is it just a stat bump?
Are you sure DnD vampires don't have a reflection?
Are you sure Garlic and Holy stuff is a dnd weakness and not just a 'pop culture' weakness. Just thinking about being semi consistent with the monster manual.
You might want to consider acid and radiant damage equal to five time its level, just so a high level vampire also has to at least consider fighting in sunlight.

All in all another great take on the vampire. I currently have an Arcane Trickster Rogue in my group which we've tweaked to function lika a vampire, using Second Wind as Regeneration and picking vampire-esque spells. I'm guessing it's the Vampiric Traits that really set your class aside from all the other Vampire Homebrewes. I'll take a look at them in a different post.

Yes it’s 2 uses of 2d8.

The natural armor is to give some defense since the Vampire doesn’t have armor proficiencies and they will likely be engaging in melee combat.

I don’t know if they have a reflection, but the weaknesses are based off the 5e DND vampire stat block in the MM (I did add garlic tho). Although not specified by the books, I’m pretty sure the holy bit would be rules by most DMs anyway. You do have a point about keeping consistency though.

I think the damage is already significant enough that any vampire is going to avoid the sun, unless they only take a couple of levels of it.