PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Elemental turning/rebuking - controlled effects?

TallerSpine
2019-03-14, 12:20 PM
I have monasteries of opposing elements that occasionally do battle. As an example: I have an Air domain cleric and an Earth domain cleric. Each of them has commanded creatures they are capable of commanding. They start to fight. Their commanded creatures start to fight, as well. The Air cleric decided to turn the Earth creatures. Does this also rebuke his commanded creatures? Or does it simultaneously bolster them? If the enemy tries to bolster his forces, does he accidentally (or perhaps fortuitously) turn his enemy's forces?

How much control does the cleric have over what outcomes result from turning/rebuking elementals?

(Another interesting possibility: a wyrmling green dragon hears about the cleric's ability to turn his enemies and goes to take a look. He is going to try to get the cleric to clear out a forest cave he can use as a lair. The cleric turns an earth elemental and accidentally commands the dragon who is hiding in the foliage.)

This same question also applies to deathless present when a good cleric turns undead (or any of the combinations that arise from good/evil clerics turning/rebuking in the viscinity).

If there are no rules already in effect, what advice would others have for these types of situations?

KillianHawkeye
2019-03-14, 03:35 PM
Water Domain
Granted Power

Turn or destroy fire creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster water creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.

The way I read this is that you have two abilities that share a single usage pool. One to turn/destroy creatures of the opposing element and another to rebuke/command/bolster creatures of your chosen element. So basically, you have to choose which you use at any given time.

Presumably, the ability to affect deathless in the opposite way a cleric affects undead would operate in a similar manner as two incompatible functions that use the same daily resource.

TallerSpine
2019-03-14, 05:26 PM
That certainly seems like good advice. I think that is how I am going to rule it. Reading the descriptions for turn/rebuke undead in the PHB, it appears the intent was for it to be one ability with bolster undead a separate ability. But, that just gets too confusing, especially for elemental turning/rebuking.

I like it, thank you.