PDA

View Full Version : Staff of the Python (swallowing?)

Aaedimus
2019-03-14, 03:36 PM
Say you turn your staff of the Python into a Python... and than it swallows a magic ring, and sword, a nonmagic book, and a still living halfling. Than, you turn it back into a staff. What would you say happened to the items?

hymer
2019-03-14, 03:42 PM
Say you turn your staff of the Python into a Python... and than it swallows a magic ring, and sword, a nonmagic book, and a still living halfling. Than, you turn it back into a staff. What would you say happened to the items?
If the halfling is a PC or important NPC, I'd probably rule that s/he reappears along with the trinkets and things.
Otherwise I might have some fun with it. :smallbiggrin:

Vogie
2019-03-14, 03:49 PM
This sounds like the old "magic pocket" trick

You put something inside a Bag of Holding while it is in a Antimagic Zone, then you can't get it out while outside of the antimagic zone (as the bag now reaches into hammerspace). You have to put it back into an antimagic zone to get the first object out.

I could totally see a player loot this staff off an NPC, transform it into a snake, and have the snake regurgitate the Halfling and items, which have been magically stored inside the snake staff all this time.

xroads
2019-03-14, 04:41 PM
It's magic. So I'm thinking whatever is cinematically the most entertaining and/or has the best potential of the pushing the narrative along.

Personally, I think it would be funny if the staff sports a new vaguely halfling shaped bulge on it. At least until the staff becomes a python again and coughs up a very disorientated halfling. :smallbiggrin:

MaxWilson
2019-03-14, 04:44 PM
You put something inside a Bag of Holding while it is in a Antimagic Zone, then you can't get it out while outside of the antimagic zone (as the bag now reaches into hammerspace). You have to put it back into an antimagic zone to get the first object out.

That is brilliant and hilarious.