PDA

View Full Version : The She-Wolf and the Goddess Strip 1 ONLINE!

LM TR
2007-09-29, 01:08 PM
here´s the first strip of the comic I´m currently working on (amongst lots of other projects)
first, I´m new to Photoshop and therefore most of this strip was copied and edited with Paint, but the reason graphics were copied is that it is basically a strip-in-strip (a one-shot steal, so to say), all following strips will be done with Photoshop and use original graphics and characters (done by myself I mean)
I simply had to use this idea of transcending OOTS in my OOTS-style comic as a tribute to the genius of Rich Burlew and if he isn´t cool with it I will of course pull it...

I´ve already learned some painful things about graphic design:
1. Don´t save as a jpeg (that was really stupid :smallfrown: )
2. Do the background first
3. Photoshop is NOT user-friendly :smallfrown:

the next strips will be more detailed and will look better, it may take quite some time though

experts already see which setting I´m using :-)

EDIT: since my webspace provider (?) is down, I have to attach the strip here...

so, no matter if you say "Well..." or "I want to see you bastard dead", tell me :smallwink:

IMAGE HAS BEEN REMOVED BY FORUM STAFF.

The Hop Goblin
2007-09-29, 01:21 PM
Well I guess it comes down to using someone elses concept/art without express written permission. It looks like you went with the old axiom of, "Its easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission". I'm not sure what type of artist Rich is - if he's easy going or protective of his work. I'd suggest throwing something his way rather than a public posting first.

Photoshop is extremely user-friendly once you've jumped headfirst into it for a few hours. Maybe thats just me and having been using Photoshop since 4.0. As a tip for Photoshop - Always make layers. First thing is set a base color for the bottom layer - then create a new layer for the background. Then a new layer for the characters, another one for effects, then speech/thought bubbles, then finally text/signature/title. These of course are working from the 'bottom-up'.

To your comic I guess I'm confused which part will be your contribution? I see OOTS, a nod to 8-bit theatre, as well as Leonardo Da Vinci. Is it the red-cloaked guy? Or the woman who resembles an OOTS version of the Southpark Bus Driver? A "premiere" strip should show off what you want to say/do and your art style. Tribute strips can come later. I would be more than happy to give your comic a shot when a few original works are posted (I'm a web-comic addict, :D, always looking for more great ones!).

I'm not meaning to bust your knees(anatomy word replacement), and I do sincerely wish to encourage artistic growth in anyone, especially someone who is ambitious enough to start a webcomic.

As an Edit: JPEGS are GREAT to save to, when the work is completed, go with high high quality jpeg though.

Elanorea
2007-09-29, 01:50 PM
So... what? Is this going to be some Baldur's Gate/OOTS crossover?

...if so, I'm totally buying it. Well, not exactly buying, but you get what I mean.

LM TR
2007-09-29, 02:16 PM
1. "Or the woman who resembles an OOTS version of the Southpark Bus Driver?"
YUK! Don´t ever say that again... :smalleek:
Aina, which is btw the main protagonist of the strip, is based on Natalie Portman in Leon the professional and Chiaki Kuriyama in Kill Bill Vol.1 (the insane schoolgirl), I will correct the hairstyle somewhat...

2. Fiendish Mona Lisa, anyone? they´re in HELL for the final showdown as possibly hinted recently...(strip 484)

3. the last panel is where the story starts (Aina is interrupted in reading the very last panel of OOTS, if this wasn´t clear enough) and yes, it will be based on BG not unlikely the way 8BIT is based on Final Fantasy, basic storyline + more

Alysar
2007-09-29, 02:28 PM
Little tip. If you want to do OotS-type art, forget Photoshop. You need a vector-art program, like Illustrator.

†Seer†
2007-09-29, 03:12 PM
Hehehe...ahh that made me chuckle. Kudos.

Firestar27
2007-09-29, 11:34 PM
Little tip. If you want to do OotS-type art, forget Photoshop. You need a vector-art program, like Illustrator.

I know Rich Burlew uses Illustrator, but why do you need a vector-based? The comics get translated to bitmap in the end anyway.

The Extinguisher
2007-09-29, 11:55 PM
Rich is very, very protective of his work. So this won't last.

And a little advice. It's choppy, really choppy, and you could work on the effects better. It wasn't that funny, if that's what you were going for, and you should use center alignment for text, not left. And V's speech, while verbose enough, was lacking in V's style.

Plus, I don't think I'm comfortable with Julia waving her breasts at Roy.

saimne
2007-09-30, 12:43 AM
I will probably get banned for this post, but this needs to be said: that is utter crapola.

Get better first or go to school before doing another one. Photoshop not user friendly? What are you on?

The last thing the world needs is more fodder for Your Webcomic is Bad and You Should Feel Bad (http://badwebcomics.blogspot.com/).

If you really want to do a webcomic go here (http://webcomictriage.blogspot.com/) first. Take some art lessons. Find your own style. Take some writing lessons. Buy a decent font. Take some computer classes.

I am so sorry if you find this post offensive. I don't know how to put any of what I have said lightly. It really shouldn't be put lightly. Simon is dead on about a lot of what American Idol sees and people constantly telling you that you fart daisy smell when it's still a dang fart isn't going to make it better then a fart.

That metaphor stinks but I think you get the picture.

The Extinguisher
2007-09-30, 12:59 AM
That guy is too cynical for his own good. He seems like the type that would make charts to complain about someones abilities in bed. The glass isn't half full or half empty for him, it's all the way empty because he spent to much damn time critizing the use of a cup and the water evaporated.

You don't need to be a proffessional artist or writer to make a webcomic. If I was going to spend money on those things, I'd join a freaking comic book company and earn back my money.

saimne
2007-09-30, 01:20 AM
...You don't need to be a proffessional artist or writer to make a webcomic...

I completely agree with you, but being a professional artist and/or writer helps to make a good webcomic. It doesn't take a fourth year English major to see that the comic at the top of the page is both unprofessionally done and done poorly.

Icewalker
2007-09-30, 02:05 AM
Well, avoiding the above discussion, I'd say that your art could use a little work, but I'm sure it'll get better if you continue. Rich seems to largely dislike other's using his work, so you'll have to scrap this and make yourself a new way to start your strip.

Forum Staff
2007-09-30, 04:53 AM
The comic that was included in the initial post used actual pieces of Rich's Order of the Stick art mashed together, which is a violation of his copyrights on those pieces of art (and possibly his trademarks on the character names and likenesses). Rich has said many times that he does not allow his art to be appropriated in this manner; it's even in the (very outdated) site FAQ.

The comic has been removed, and you are asked not to post it again.