PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What is Happening, Send Help

EZMack
2019-03-14, 06:26 PM
So, I should start with a question, because that's where this started.

"in the current canon of 5e, is it possible to venture into the weave (yes that weave) in any untraditional manner. As a dm, I have encountered countless problems via a backseat DM and Rules Lawyer over my use of the understanding that the weave is the dead body of the god"

We were playing in a setting that one of my follow players created. They were Dm'ing for a time until they burnt out. We kinda all take turns DM'ing and it really hasn't been an issue at all until one of our players got a big head.

Now, when I took my turn to DM I had used an area that we had never been to so that I wouldn't step on any toes. NPC's in the story also got mixed up in the weave, literally, and their minds got lost in it while their bodies were trapped in demi-planes.

This wasn't an issue at the time, my players had a fun experience, and everyone beside one player seemed to be very invested. I haven't heard any complaints or had anyone poke any plot holes in the story, but yesterday I was contacted on our shared chat about how that event went down and was basically forced to retcon the entire weave situation (and this was a year after we even played it) I vented my frustration and pointed out how ridiculous the entire situation was, to which I was told that "my opinion matters the most because I know the most about D&D" and I was floored. I had plains to use the weave idea later if need be, but now I have to rework it.

Together we all came up with the gods of the world we are playing in, so there is no clear answer to how our cosmology is different until something different happens.

What is even more infuriating, this person has also been DM'ing for the last three months, and I have never had so many complaints.

Here is just a short list that I made for a bingo/drinking game when he DM's.

-DM’s PC makes the final blow on an enemy (No, he doesn’t give the kill to the next PC) (Yes, this included the final boss)
-DM’s PC comes out of nowhere
-“We have that in my Homeland”- We are on continent that Dragonborn rarely even visit
-Dm pretends to knows the rules better than everyone and gets away with breaking them
-The Gith use magic they shouldn’t have, and it’s always overpowered
-The enemy has extremely high HP, is a capable fighter, and magic user.
-Just keep hitting them. No strategy needed.
-Even more githyanki.
-DM gives his PC something cool
-DM’s PC doesn’t need to make a roll to know or to remember something important, or he succeeds on a roll that better equipped characters weren’t even able to make.
-You aren’t really given a decision, but if you were it wouldn’t matter anyway
-DM introduces yet another character that has player levels despite not being a player
-“The Dark Souls of DMing” he says this a LOT
-Someone takes Exhaustion… again
-A plan doesn’t work for seemingly no reason other than things being “Harder”
-His PC doesn’t act in character
-Enemy does over 60 damage in one turn (We just hit level 8)
-The scene isn’t described well enough to interact with surroundings
-Someone is forced to play as one of the DM’s side PC’s
-Someone is left out of play entirely
-A new character isn’t introduced when they should be
-Gith are proven to be stronger than Dragons (More legendary actions and all)
-Another plot is added to the already complicated and unfinished arc
-Something happens to harm or narratively take away from from your character for no reason other than to interfere with your backstory
-Distance doesn’t matter (A town that took us days to get to took hours to travel to)
-Something happens to his special town were all his PC’s live

He doesn't like engaging with other people's stories (unless he helps plan them) like at ALL.

One of my character even found an ancient, holy, magic, hammer underground, and while he was DMing he tried to buy it from me for like 200 gold... He literally made this entire campaign to flex his character and no thought was put into what we wanted to do or gain from these experiences.

My character doesn't even believe in using magic items...

I also can't directly approach this person without them threatening to completely leave the group (Of which his family and friends are a part of).

DarkSoul
2019-03-14, 06:40 PM
Call his bluff on threatening to leave the group. He's taking away from your enjoyment of the game, and possibly other players' enjoyment is suffering as well (or as a result). If he threatens to leave, point out the door to him. If other people go with him, you're better off without them. No gaming is better than bad gaming, because no gaming doesn't make you want to stop playing completely if it goes on too long. Personally, I have little to no patience for people that use threats to try to get their way. My three year old doesn't even get away with that, why should some overly-entitled man child?

EZMack
2019-03-14, 07:10 PM
I just realized this is supposed to be in the 5e section...

Jiece18
2019-03-16, 07:16 PM
I just realized this is supposed to be in the 5e section...

Problems can exist regardless of the edition.

I know it can be hard to find a D&D Group and risking losing access to the one you have can make you afraid to confront a problem player or DM. But if your not having fun, what is the point.

Torpin
2019-03-16, 08:56 PM
when he is DMing murder his pc in his sleep. then run off with all his treasure.
when you are dming and he is rule lawyering say "according to page 4 of the 5th edition dungeon masters guide and i quote 'and as a referee, the dm interprets the rules and decides when to abide by them and when to change them' then it goes on to say 'the rules arent in charge. You're the DM and you are in charge of the game' " because the dm is always right, even when they are wrong.