PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Level 8 Warlock/2 Paladin

Ihazturtlez
2019-03-14, 07:14 PM
Hello! I just recently made a post about a level 10 one-shot I will be in, and decided it would be more appropriate to make a new post instead of reviving that one.
I am planning on being level 8 Warlock/2 Paladin, but I have to wait until the session to roll my character's stats.

Without having any confirmed stats, what should I go with for my patron/pacts/invocations on my warlock to make Paladin a good MC choice? I'm open to all suggestions.

Snowbluff
2019-03-14, 08:14 PM
NOt really a good spread. You can get eldritch smite from Warlock already, which is why you would want 2 Paladin levels. Imo a Paladin6/Hexblade4 would be a lot stronger.

Ihazturtlez
2019-03-14, 10:31 PM
NOt really a good spread. You can get eldritch smite from Warlock already, which is why you would want 2 Paladin levels. Imo a Paladin6/Hexblade4 would be a lot stronger.

What would you recommend for the Oath?

Ihazturtlez
2019-03-14, 10:34 PM

And, would Hexblade be my best option, or would you recommend something else?

djreynolds
2019-03-15, 01:50 AM
It depends on GWM usage, I like devotion.

6 devotion/4 hexblade. Bless and sacred weapon, 2 attacks. Oodles of damage

Are you using GWM?

Ihazturtlez
2019-03-15, 02:20 AM

Are you using GWM?

I don't know what I'm using to be honest lol. I haven't rolled stats, so I have no clue what I'm working with in the ASI department.

follacchioso
2019-03-15, 03:59 AM
Try to think about what you want to do with your bonus action and concentration.

One drawback of paladin/warlock MCs is that pretty much all paladin spells are concentration. As a warlock you may probably want to have hex running the whole time; however that means missing out most paladin spell lists, from the enhanced smites to bless and others.

One alternative to hex is divine favour, which gives you a bonus against on all attacks, and doesn't cost you a bonus action to change enemy. You can cast it as a first level paladin spell, saving on warlock slots. Vengeance paladins also get hunter's prey, which is similar.

You may want to get a feat to add something to do with your bonus action, eg polearm master or shield master. Otherwise, your turns will be mostly used to spend an action to attack. Misty step is also good to have, to improve mobility when you need - you can get it for free as a vengeance paladin, or from the warlock list.

I've recently played a fey warlock 4 / vengeance paladin 6 and enjoyed it. You can roleplay it as a paladin with a connection to the unnatural - not necessarily an evil force. The first level ability is useful for roleplay, and if you get to sixth level you will be very difficult to defeat.

Are you using GWM?
You need two turns to activate this, because bless and scared weapon are both one action each. By that time, the encounter is finished.

follacchioso
2019-03-15, 04:01 AM
If this is a one shot, you may ask for gauntlets of ogre power, which will set your strength to 19, freeing up ASIs for charisma or a feat. It's an uncommon item, so not expensive and it should not be difficult to convince the DM.

Snowbluff
2019-03-15, 04:59 AM
What would you recommend for the Oath?
Devotion is nice because it can give you Cha as a bonus to your attacks with its Channeled Divinity.
Vengeance is good for single target with their channel divinity but for only 1 attack.
Conquest gets some control with fear effects and also gets spiritual weapon (which is a good offensive use of a bonus action)

And, would Hexblade be my best option, or would you recommend something else?

In general it is. In this case it would key your melee attacks to charisma, and adds a healthy curse for bonus damage.
However, it's not a huge deal IMO. Take something flavorful or something to unlock a cool invocation.

Invocation advice: take agonizing blast. Paladins are weak at range normally, and this will help correct that.

Zuras
2019-03-15, 12:00 PM
I have a Ancients Paladin 9/Celestial Warlock 2 that works really well.

What are you aiming for? A white room combo for max damage or lots of flexibility?

With the 2 level Warlock dip I got:
Much better ranged attacks.

Replenished slots/smites on a short rest.

Lots more utility (picked up Mage hand & Comprehend Languages).

Tactical flexibility- I hex enemies strength and knock them prone a lot. I took Shield Master to help with that, but you can also just use an attack. Effectiveness varies with party composition, but my guy hangs with a GWM Fighter, so knocking prone can easily translate to 70+ damage.

Celestial Patron also gives you an easy RP angle for mixing classes, and the ability to heal with a Bonus Action, which you normally can’t do.

Ancients Paladin’s Auras also makes the DM really sad when they try to kill you with wizards.

Ihazturtlez
2019-03-15, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all of the input so far!

I was thinking for invocations to go with Agonizing Blast, and Fiendish Vigor for that extra temp HP.

My DM also has given me the Holy Avenger for my magical item, but in the form of a Greatsword, so Hex Warrior will not work with this.

As for what I was wanting to go for, I was thinking more of a mix of damage and utility, but with the Holy Avenger damage may come easy, especially if he continues to plan on throwing some Deathlocks at us.

So, hexblade probably won't happen, but I now need help with a Patron/Pact.

Nhorianscum
2019-03-15, 01:33 PM
Thanks for all of the input so far!

I was thinking for invocations to go with Agonizing Blast, and Fiendish Vigor for that extra temp HP.

My DM also has given me the Holy Avenger for my magical item, but in the form of a Greatsword, so Hex Warrior will not work with this.

As for what I was wanting to go for, I was thinking more of a mix of damage and utility, but with the Holy Avenger damage may come easy, especially if he continues to plan on throwing some Deathlocks at us.

So, hexblade probably won't happen, but I now need help with a Patron/Pact.

Hex warrior can affect any weapon with pact of the blade at 3rd level.

That said with a Holy Avenger you don't need more damage so shoot for utility. Fey/Celestial lock are great for this.