PDA

View Full Version : If you could be any Tristalt, what would it be? (No Multiclassing)

BlueWitch
2019-03-15, 02:20 AM
Tristalt is like Gestalt, but you're taking THREE classes at once instead of two.

Overpowered! lol

So, out of curiosity, if you could be any 3 classes, but couldn't Multiclass (so no dipping!) what would you be?
And lets put the cap at Lv.20

If it were me, I'd go with Factotum/Wizard/Fighter

A bit vanilla at the end, but bonus feats are never not useful!

Mr Adventurer
2019-03-15, 03:41 AM
Warblade|Factotum|Wizard, probably.

Sto
2019-03-15, 09:27 AM
Wizard/archivist/shaper Psion. Because at this point game balance does not matter. I dont personally like playing Erudites so I won't be abusing that.

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-15, 09:31 AM
Generic warrior, generic arcane caster, and generic divine caster. May as well go for broke.

Quertus
2019-03-15, 09:42 AM
Tristalt is like Gestalt, but you're taking THREE classes at once instead of two.

Overpowered! lol

So, out of curiosity, if you could be any 3 classes, but couldn't Multiclass (so no dipping!) what would you be?
And lets put the cap at Lv.20

If it were me, I'd go with Factotum/Wizard/Fighter

A bit vanilla at the end, but bonus feats are never not useful!

What would I be IRL, or what would I enjoy playing in an RPG?

Does "no multiclass" prohibit prestige classes?

Why the level 20 limit?

IRL or in a game, I think I'd be likely to take one branch as a race that takes more than 20 levels, making me immortal.

Arcane Spellcaster is kinda my goto. As is Tainted Sorcerer for free undead.

In a game, I might go Paragon Petal (insert more templates to go over level 20) / Arcane Spellcaster / something I haven't tried before or homebrew. Or race / homebrew Tainted Arcane Spellcaster / something I haven't tried before or more homebrew.

IRL, I'm not interested in animating the dead, so Taint for free undead isn't as important. So race / Wizard or Arcane Spellcaster / homebrew, or race / homebrew / more homebrew.

Or, perhaps best of all, race / Wizard / Cleric of me. :smallwink:

ericgrau
2019-03-15, 09:47 AM
Common wisdom would be to take 1 active class and 2 passive classes. However I was in a similar campaign once and I did a triple caster buffer... and still ran out of spell slots and had to reserve a few.

With that in mind: sorcerer / factotum / druid.

I would take a 3rd spontaneous class for more spells per day but nothing comes to mind, and druid covers some missing spells. Concept is simple: buff the snot out of the party getting my hour/level spells up 24 hours and my 10 min/level spells up 8 hours. Eventually 24 hours as well at high level. Hour/level is mostly arcane while 10 min/level is mostly divine, hence 2 divine classes. In the past campaign I handed out note cards to each ally and gave out resistance to almost every energy type, mass mage armor, GMW, magic circle against evil, endure elements, freedom of movement, stoneskin, etc. And got close to water walk and phantom steeds. But the one thing that jumped out the DM was "how to you give close wounds 1/day as a buff?" I tagged everyone with imbue with spell ability so the moment someone said "heal me, I'm about to die", everyone in the party said "close wounds!" and then he said "Oh, nevermind, I'm good." One fight I was running low on spells so I sat out to RP a bit with a previous section. The party dominated the next fight because they were immune/resistant to every effect the enemy had including many hit physical full attacks. I said "I'm most useful when I'm not around."

I'm trying to remember why I didn't imbue with spell ability + shield other everyone to further mitigate damage by distributing it evenly. Maybe I just forgot.

ezekielraiden
2019-03-15, 10:02 AM
Assuming PrCs are allowed, Bard/Sublime Chord+Crusader+Monk, ideally with a feat to base Monk off Cha.

If PrCs are not allowed but PF content is, Synthesist Summoner+Unchained Ninja+Vigilante. Iron Man, but my suit is a goddamn spirit-dragon because why not.

If no PrCs and no PF? Druid+Swordsage+Factotum. May not have incredible synergy per se, but between the three you can meet nearly any challenge head on and destroy it (literally or metaphorically).

2019-03-15, 10:24 AM
In-game, Wizard//Archivist//StP Erudite. Pile on the casting, gather spells and powers.

IRL, Wizard//Archivist//Factotum. Psionic powers would be nice, but with wizard versatility and archivist for healing, what I'd really want after that is a better chassis and better skills, and factotum gives both with a nice versatility buff. There's cheese that could make it more powerful, but it'd depend on how necessary that really was.

Hackulator
2019-03-15, 11:10 AM
IRL Sorcerer//Cleric//Factotum

In-Game Wizard//Archivist//Psion

IRL being a Wizard would have a high chance of being suboptimal due to the difficulty of finding new spells.

Efrate
2019-03-15, 11:11 AM
Binder//totemist//incarnate. I really want to go full ToM but shadowcaster and truenamer need help.

Warlock//shadowcaster//hexblade would be fun as well. Thematic, though shadowcaster stinks, but eldritch glaive fits with a weapon a hexblade should have.

liquidformat
2019-03-15, 11:22 AM
Druid/Totemist/Swordsage whether IRL or in game these are three fun synergistic classes, add in fist of the forest of prcs are allowed; if we can be non human then shifter and moonspeaker for shifter fun!

Jack_Simth
2019-03-15, 11:32 AM
Oracle//Summoner//Racial CR and possibly stacking templates.

(I've been playing more Pathfinder than 3.5 of late)

Archetypes would be Spirit Guide and Synthesist. Racial CR would probably be Muse, mostly (lots of Charisma synergy, and the shapeshifting lets me get some sweet things).

Torpin
2019-03-15, 11:35 AM
paladin warlock druid, that way i could always be losing class features cause im bad everything

Lleban
2019-03-15, 01:20 PM
I think I'd try out Wizard/Factotum/psion, well that or Archivist/warblade/facotum.

tstewt1921
2019-03-15, 01:36 PM
Druid/Barbarian/Monk, kinda dumb but I'd have a blast with it.

Mehangel
2019-03-15, 01:39 PM
For PF, assuming 3PP is allowed, I would be a Hedgewitch||Prodigy||Troubadour.

For D&D 3.5, if 3PP is not allowed, I would be Crusader||Spirit Shaman||Warlock or Factotum||Warblade||Swashbuckler. I understand that the second is not particularly optimized, but I like the synergy with the Intelligence score.

Crichton
2019-03-15, 02:28 PM
In-game, Wizard//Archivist//StP Erudite. Pile on the casting, gather spells and powers.

IRL, Wizard//Archivist//Factotum. Psionic powers would be nice, but with wizard versatility and archivist for healing, what I'd really want after that is a better chassis and better skills, and factotum gives both with a nice versatility buff. There's cheese that could make it more powerful, but it'd depend on how necessary that really was.

IRL Sorcerer//Cleric//Factotum

In-Game Wizard//Archivist//Psion

IRL being a Wizard would have a high chance of being suboptimal due to the difficulty of finding new spells.

Wizard//Archivist//(Psion or StP Erudite)

Finding new spells isn't that hard, between feats like Collegiate Wizard, and even better, the combo of Scribe Scroll ->Psychic Reformation(select new spells from level up) -> add scroll spells to spellbook. Same with psionic powers. Costs some xp and gp, but no other limitations.

heavyfuel
2019-03-15, 02:51 PM
IRL?

Warblade/Feat Wilderness Rogue/Domain Eidetic Wizard

Why:
- Eidetic Wizard is pretty straight forward. Great class with massive potential and no spellbook to worry about. Domain wizard because I really don't want to specialize and lose access to schools.
- Feat Wilderness Rogue because I don't really need Sneak Attack when I have access to maneuvers and Wilderness because I feel like the skills are better (especially with Wizard and Warblade list complementing it).
- Warblade because I feel like it's the best of the 3 initiators class. You get to choose your maneuvers and Int synergy is nice.

Why not:
-Factotum: Great class if Inspiration works all the time as the FAQ suggests it should. But if it only works "per encounter" aka "per initiative", I'll say that starting fights with random people to regain your abilities is no way to live life. 2 less skill points per day than Rogue, and access to Speak Language as a class skill is nice, but mathematically not worth the lost skill points. Cunning Surge and Cunning Brilliance is nice in game, but has little use IRL, and I really don't think they're worth 11 feats, Evasion, and Rogue abilities.

Feat selection:
Standard Feats (9) - Obtain Familiar (Raven); Adaptive Style; Still Spell; Silent Spell; Eschew Materials; Item Familiar; Ancestral Relic; Collegiate Wizard; ???
Fighter Feats (11) - Imp. Unarmed Strike; Superior Unarmed Strike; Deflect Arrows; Martial Study x3 (Crusader Strike; Divine Surge; ???); Martial Stance (Aura of Perfect Order); Power Attack; Combat Reflexes; Combat Expertise; Improved Trip
Wizard Feats (5) - Scribe Scroll; Extend Spell; Alacritous Cogitation; Dimensional Jaunt; Fiery Burst
Warblade Feats (4) - Blind-Fight; Imp. Initiative; Run; Combat Reflexes

Gnaeus
2019-03-15, 02:55 PM
Witch//blue dragon (DSP)//Vizier (DSP)

Dragon gives good BAB, saves, HP, AC, skills, and movement modes. Also not worried about aging.
Witch for hexes and T1 9th levelspell power.
Crafter Vizier for all day stamina, top level blasting and can craft and use any item to get anything he doesn’t get automatically from Dragon or Witch.

Telonius
2019-03-15, 03:15 PM
IRL: Cloistered Cleric//Beguiler//Druid

Cleric gives me pretty much any of the spells I'd need to benefit myself and my family. Druid lets me summon cats and puppies whenever I want, so that's a must-have. Plus turning into a random animal seems like a great prank. Beguiler gives me the arcane spells I'd want without the issues of hauling around a spellbook.

In-game, probably Crusader//Cleric//Bard. Seems like they would mesh pretty well together. Plays like a Bardsader, plus divine magic.

noob
2019-03-15, 03:54 PM
would archivist//beguiler//wizard be a good pick for not running out of spell slots?

Lvl 2 Expert
2019-03-15, 04:01 PM
Is this specifically late game (lvl15-20+) or do we have to consider the lower level balance?

If that last one one of the ingrediënts is a barbarian or fighter or such, for some survivability, and the other two are as versatile and powerful spellcaster classes you can think of. Maybe Wizard and Druid, to keep it core. Druid isn't the best lategame caster, but it has a great mid game. If this is about late game just use three superpowered spellcasters with different spellcasting mechanics so that you get both, never mind hitpoints let alone skill points.

Thurbane
2019-03-15, 04:52 PM
Archivist//Factotum//Warblade.

Skillmonkey gish in a can: 6 skill points/level, all skills as class skills, full casting, full BAB, manouvres, all good saves, d12 HD, plus all the other goodies...

Maat Mons
2019-03-15, 05:05 PM
Okay, without looking at what antone else has picked, I'll go with: Cleric / Paladin of freedom / Feat Rogue

That gets me:

Full Cleric casting
Wis to saves (via Serenity feat)
Bonus feats as a Fighter
All good saves
8+Int skill points
Trapfinding

Now, to read through the thread and see if any of you guys change my mind.

Maat Mons
2019-03-15, 05:18 PM
Druid/Barbarian/Monk, kinda dumb but I'd have a blast with it.

So... Chaos Monk, or what?

Quertus
2019-03-15, 05:32 PM
Costs some xp and gp, but no other limitations.

Point - if there's a limit of level 20, it would be a good idea to find a way to spend XP on something useful.

-----

Really, I'm thinking, in a game or IRL, race / Wizard / Cleric of me would be awesome. And, IIRC, natural-born 3e gods have 20 Outsider HD; if so, then I know what I'd want on the "race" side.

I'd want to become a god of Time and Madness (and several other things), either powering myself even before I ascend, or traveling back in time to ascend in the past.

Heck, I'd use my life history as my backstory, and people couldn't tell where my madness ends, and my Madness begins.

Hopefully, like in e6, the gods don't have level limits, and I can take epic levels after my ascension. If so (as if this build isn't insane enough), I'd aim to be a Paragon deity as my race - the greatest god of all time, the first god, the god of time, blah blah blah.

And, as the first god, I'd hit all the other (hopefully NPC) gods with my Epic Diplomacy while they were still young, making them all my fanatics.

Eventually, I'd send a small spark of my divine power out to impregnate my mother / change her child to the Paragon Deity Outsider me, and send her a timely vision, to ensure my history.

Bwahahahaha, my master plan is complete! Now I guess I'll... Hmmm... send people visions of what 6e should look like? Go play MtG/WoW/LoL with my divine buddies? Taste Starry Night? The possibilities are limitless!

... Yeah, I think I'd enjoy that character.

noob
2019-03-15, 06:05 PM
nothing forbids prestige races so maybe just get a prestige race that gives travel through time at will and then graft yourself a silithari heart then name yourself a time lord before ascension to doghood.

Quertus
2019-03-15, 07:26 PM
nothing forbids prestige races so maybe just get a prestige race that gives travel through time at will and then graft yourself a silithari heart then name yourself a time lord before ascension to doghood.

What's a silithari heart?

Woof!

DaOldeWolf
2019-03-15, 07:38 PM
Lets see. I probably need a good amount of flexibility. I also would need something powerful. Some variety in Powers and the possibility of having company by my side. I think I would pick:

Summoner (Morphic Savant)/ Oracle (Spirit guide)/ Arcanist (Blood arcanist)

Summoner (Morphic Savant): allows me to have three different eidolon sets at my disposal even if only one at a time. Some good buff spells and and a spell like ability to summon creatures if mine is lost.

Oracle (spirit guide): a good spellcasting list, some great benefits from Oracle class features, and I even get the ability to change my spirit gained daily to a different one depending in the situation. Sounds like a fair trade.

Arcanist (Blood arcanist): the capability of preparing spells with the Benefit of casting them as much as I want. The bloodline is a nice bonus.

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-15, 08:29 PM
Oh. Was this an IRL question? Hmm... Then Druid, Artificer, Sorc.

I'd want a plant companion on my druid side, and greenbound summoning. I have ferrets, so what need have I for other animals?

Artificer would be for constructs, mostly. And scrolls. I'd like to use this class to turn all my ferrets (current and past) into guardinals so they could become my sorc familiars (using extra familiar).

Spell list wouldn`t matter much. Knowstones, drake helms and runestaves get you everything you would want in time.

Coventry
2019-03-15, 09:11 PM
Unsworn Shaman/Skald/Synthesist Summoner. All three classes are flexible in different ways (Arcane Enlightenment, Spell Kenning, Summon Monster SLA), so stacking them all in one place is just crazy.

Jack_Simth
2019-03-15, 10:25 PM
What's a silithari heart?A graft, which gives 4d8+20 HP healing when you go into the negatives, no more than once a day. The blood and bones on their list are also good choices.

Oracle//Summoner//Racial CR and possibly stacking templates.

(I've been playing more Pathfinder than 3.5 of late)

Archetypes would be Spirit Guide and Synthesist. Racial CR would probably be Muse, mostly (lots of Charisma synergy, and the shapeshifting lets me get some sweet things).
I should probably expand on this slightly.

Oracle is well known: Spontaneous, Charisma-based divine caster.
The Spirit Guide archetype permits picking a spirit (there's several) each day, each of which comes with a set of spells known, a hex (selected from a list based on the chosen spirit), and a few other odds & ends. Costs the oracle a few Hexes, and changes the skill set. There's one particular gem of a hex: Arcane Enlightenment from the Lore spirit. It adds some Wizard spells to the list of spells you can prepare. Depending on the DM, that will either not work (Oracles don't prepare spells), permit you to prepare some spell slots with wizard spells, or add them to your Oracle spells known for the day (treated as the spells from the spirit). But you can switch the hex every day. It means the Oracle is something of a wizard, without having the spellbook dependency, or even needing to find a copy of the spell. Basically, it permits the Oracle side to cover both Divine Spellcaster and Arcane Spellcaster roles. As a full caster.

The Synthesist Summoner grants some Charisma-based casting, and several charisma-based abilities. Makes you a fine meatshield, all by itself, with no need to cast spells. You get all your own abilities, plus those of the eidolon, plus a bunch of temp HP, and very specific physical ability scores (which are pretty high). Of particular note is that you and the eidolon aren't distinguishable while merged, and you can keep it up all day. This means that Lesser Evolution Surge can get you the "Extra Feat" ability, which gets you an arbitrary feat for several minutes, as a 2nd level spell. As you can't be distinguished from your eidolon, you can grab basically any feat you'd qualify for, or that your eidolon would qualify for. So, say, Expanded Arcana (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/expanded-arcana) can get you an extra spell known or two for several minutes. Or a nice metamagic feat during your buff routine (Extend Spell, perhaps), or Augmented Calling just before casting something form the Planar Binding line....

Muse (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/fey/muse/) is because the Monsters as PCs (http://legacy.aonprd.com/bestiary/monstersAsPCs.html) rules are very nice for a PC. A muse, specifically, gets Charisma to saves, AC, and HP, plus some nice DR, Blindsight, some Bardic casting (not the best, but definitely nothing to sneeze at), fey skill points (6+Int), and all the Bardic options for using Perform as other skills... using only one Perform. That's ten (fifteen, with Expanded Versatility) different skills for investing in one. Plus the merger of all Craft skills. A VERY viable skill monkey. And, of course, racial shapeshifting - which is kept despite the Eidolon, and so the beast can look perfectly normal. Adding +CR templates on top of that (whether directly, or via Oracle capstone - I'm looking at you, Occult) makes things even nicer.

So:
Full Divine casting? Check, plus the ability to grab random spells as needed at the cost of a 2nd level Summoner spell slot.
Full Arcane casting? Check.
Meatshield capability? Check.
Skillmonkey? Check. Just need trapfinding, and there's a campaign trait for that (and a 2nd level divine spell).

It'd be a very sweet combination, real life or in game.

Bphill561
2019-03-16, 04:00 AM
Black Ethergaunt (16HD+4LA)// Factotum10 /Eldrich Master 10//Fighter 5/Spelldancer 5/Fighter 10

Otherworldly feat for the outsider type. Two PrC's, but they are completed so no dipping. Eldrich master grants two extra spells lists and a 10th level spell slot for the Ethergaunt Casting. Maybe use spelldancer to complete the 3 levels of wizard casting the ethergaunt is missing.

I am sure you could do something similar with a sharn or phaerium. They both get casting as a spell-like ability.

Assuming PrCs are allowed, Bard/Sublime Chord+Crusader+Monk, ideally with a feat to base Monk off Cha.

If PrCs are not allowed but PF content is, Synthesist Summoner+Unchained Ninja+Vigilante. Iron Man, but my suit is a goddamn spirit-dragon because why not.

If no PrCs and no PF? Druid+Swordsage+Factotum. May not have incredible synergy per se, but between the three you can meet nearly any challenge head on and destroy it (literally or metaphorically).

If you are breaking out Sublime Chord, why not go full bard 20 and put sublime chord on another arm of the gestalt since it would grant a caster level of 30. i don't think that is breaking the gestalt rules of getting an ability twice in a given level, at least not by RAW.

Aniikinis
2019-03-16, 04:09 AM
In-game(homebrew): Barbarian//Ozodrin//Druid

In-game(non-homebrew): Barbarian//Sorceror//Druid

IRL(homebrew allowed): Artificer//Ozodrin//Warlock

IRL(non-homebrew: Artificer//Warlock//Shadowcaster

Maat Mons
2019-03-16, 04:41 AM
I see some people are doing "real life" answers, so I'll give one of those too.

Artificer // Psion // Monk

All the toys, all of them
An array of magical effects that don't cost any gp/xp (is xp my soul?)
And it's really hard to prevent me from using those effects
Int to AC (via Kunk Fu Genius feat)
Immunity to disease and poison
Graceful aging
Chicks dig martial artists

noob
2019-03-16, 04:47 AM
What's a silithari heart?

Woof!

The important part is that it allows to have one more heart so if you had one you now can have 2 hearts and have the normal amount of hearts for a time lord.

enderlord99
2019-03-16, 08:28 AM
I believe standard optimization practice for tristalt is endurance//limited//passive.

In order, that would (at least for me) be warblade//wizard//factotum, which is also the the "cover all your bases" option within standard practice.

Quertus
2019-03-16, 08:32 AM
The important part is that it allows to have one more heart so if you had one you now can have 2 hearts and have the normal amount of hearts for a time lord.

Ah, that makes sense. Google was no help on this topic.

noob
2019-03-16, 08:38 AM
Ah, that makes sense. Google was no help on this topic.

So now that you know playing a time lord is a thing in dnd do you plan to do that?

Eldariel
2019-03-16, 08:56 AM
I dunno, I like Int so Factotum/Wizard/Psionic Artificer seems like just the ticket.

Quertus
2019-03-16, 08:56 AM
So now that you know playing a time lord is a thing in dnd do you plan to do that?

Well... I... Fine. My "prestige race of choice" is probably TARDIS. :smallcool: Great excuse for so many evolutions: Hat of Disguise, Flight, Teleportation, Teleport Through Time, extradimensional spaces, computer-aided circumstance bonuses to skill checks, etc etc etc.

I'll let someone else play the Time Lord. :smallwink:

EDIT: for the player* who would like to be a Time Lord, where are these grafts from? Google still isn't being helpful.

* I was originally trying to investigate how to make a Time Lord for him in 3e - it's his fault that I came upwith idea of Sculpt Self for prestige race of TARDIS - it was originally intended to be his cohort.

ElderDarren
2019-03-16, 09:11 AM
Artificer//Wizard//Archivist for both IRL and In-Game

My first ever character was an Artificer and I loved the ability to spend some travel time forging magic items to buff the ranger to high hell. Wizard because I loved the complimentary fluff of an Artificer that studies magical patterns to craft items also turning that drive to proper spell craft. Archivist because it fits the Int Synergy and is basically divine wizard.

Close Runner Up is:
Artificer//Wizard//Aegis because I am Iron Man

noob
2019-03-16, 09:13 AM
Well... I... Fine. My "prestige race of choice" is probably TARDIS. :smallcool: Great excuse for so many evolutions: Hat of Disguise, Flight, Teleportation, Teleport Through Time, extradimensional spaces, computer-aided circumstance bonuses to skill checks, etc etc etc.

I'll let someone else play the Time Lord. :smallwink:

EDIT: for the player* who would like to be a Time Lord, where are these grafts from? Google still isn't being helpful.

* I was originally trying to investigate how to make a Time Lord for him in 3e - it's his fault that I came upwith idea of Sculpt Self for prestige race of TARDIS - it was originally intended to be his cohort.

It is in lords of madness.
For the whole regenerate thing your friend can probably become a level 20 factotum and each day grab the nine lives class feature of the death delver.
(it also gives it access to a bunch of spell options to do as if he had a sonic screwdriver and it allows him to excel at all skills)
(or instead get as a prestige race option true resurrect on itself once a month or something like that)

ben-zayb
2019-03-16, 09:30 AM
A Psionic Artificer | Factotum | Archivist should do the trick both in-game and IRL. The INT bonus to STR- and DEX-based checks and skill checks would be heck of a boost for my quality of life, as is having Dedicated Wrights to build me gadgets. Archivist just gives me spell access.

Quertus
2019-03-16, 09:39 AM
It is in lords of madness.

So it is.

For 91,000 GP, I could outfit a family of squirrels with, say, Amulet of Emergency Healing, and get much, much more benefit than the heart.

Seriously, 15d4+75, 3 times per day, that works at will and even when I'm dead, is much, much better than 4d8+20 1/day that only triggers between staggered and not quite dead (0 and -10 HP).

And that's ignoring that with spending 1,000 gold for a family of trained squirrels, they're probably smart enough to be trained to heal others, too.

Malphegor
2019-03-16, 09:59 AM
Possibly a Dread Necromancer/Urban Druid/Wizard maybe for reality.

Dread Necro lets me accumulate minions that I believe I can set ‘program’ like simple command systems. I need to read up on how much control one gets out of the dead but suddenly knowing how to use a big scythe is a cool feature. Plus the fear aura might be handy. Having this seperate to wizardry would make it easier to manage on top of research projects. Mainly with undeath I want to progress to lichdom and live forever.

Urban Druid gives me the ability to Disney Princess my posessions into tidying themselves up. Also turn myself into a animated object- a car perhaps? Honestly if I never had to spend money on fuel ever again and just became a living car that is pretty cool. Alternatively there’s cool stuff I could do with being an object. Paper airplane my way across town! (regular druid would be fine but TRANSFORMER, also I thrive in cities and am unsure if I am mentally sound enough to not be a pangolin at all times)

Wizard lets me study and create spells. Honestly if I even just have Unseen Servant (or a more sophisticated one that can understand concepts like order numbers on paper) and Amanuensis to hand, I can basically snap my fingers and my irl job is sorted, as it’s mostly copying down data and sorting out physical files.

noob
2019-03-16, 10:31 AM
So it is.

For 91,000 GP, I could outfit a family of squirrels with, say, Amulet of Emergency Healing, and get much, much more benefit than the heart.

Seriously, 15d4+75, 3 times per day, that works at will and even when I'm dead, is much, much better than 4d8+20 1/day that only triggers between staggered and not quite dead (0 and -10 HP).

And that's ignoring that with spending 1,000 gold for a family of trained squirrels, they're probably smart enough to be trained to heal others, too.

the interest is not the effect but the fact that you now have two hearts.

Bronk
2019-03-16, 11:37 AM
In game, who knows... it would depend on where I end up. IRL, nothing too fancy... I'd go for Cleric, Bard, and Sorcerer.

Cleric, because of healing, regeneration, and resurrection, and for the Dark Chaos Shuffle.

Bard, for their spells and improved skill list. Most of their skills would help out IRL, and learning a perform skill or two without putting in the work would be fun. Same goes for languages.

Sorcerer for the familiar (it would be nice to have a pet that doesn't age, and that I could talk to), an increased number of spells per day (I'll be teleporting everywhere), and to keep the spells coming without wasting time studying them every day. I could probably change my spells out with cleric's miracle if I really needed to.

Edit: For feats, it depends on what my stats are. I'd need high Wis and Cha scores to get high level spells, and if I didn't stack up, I'd need to first take crafting feats in order to make stat boosters, possibly more than one set, so I could bootstrap my way up to the 19s I'd need to cast 9ths. After that, I could shuffle them back to something more useful. Especially if I had prestige classes...

Edit: Prestige classes weren't specifically forbidden, so if I had access to those I'd pay more attention to my cleric levels in order to get into Dweomerkeeper for free wishes.

Quertus
2019-03-16, 12:32 PM
the interest is not the effect but the fact that you now have two hearts.

Well, yes. But it feels really bad to have to spend 91k for fluff - especially when that pricetag puts it outside the range of standard play. :smallfrown:

Not that I haven't done worse for fluff.

Zombulian
2019-03-16, 12:51 PM
Hmm honestly without any sort of limitation, tristalt can be so strong that it almost becomes boring.
Wizard//Egoist//Archivist for phenomenal cosmic power all based around Int. While Archivist could get you Divine power, it may be worth dropping Warblade in there instead for the d12 HD and passive full BAB plus fightan magic.
The other, likely less optimal route that I would go would be something like Trickster Spellthief//Sorcerer//Wilder or Crusader or maybe even Paladin. Turns into an interesting sort of Gish with decent access to spells known from pretty decent lists, action economy abuse in conjunction with more dedicated casters in the group, spell stealing from enemies which can be fun but really doesn’t seem to happen much, and ways to manipulate my own spells per day usage by using Sorc slots for Spellthief spells if I wanted to. Gestalt gets especially weird if you have Master Spellthief and for some reason your DM allows your caster levels to stack.

Lans
2019-03-16, 01:11 PM
In real life I wold do 3 of swordsage, binder, warlock or dragonfire adept,

I would want magical powers, and I dont trust my stats for most other options

Kish
2019-03-16, 01:28 PM
"What would you want to be" is an interesting question, "how would you hyper-optimize a character along these specific lines" is not, so: wizard/archivist/rogue.

Rater202
2019-03-16, 01:51 PM
Tarrasque (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=2604.0)/Nuclear Dragon (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=6660.0)

And the third track would be 20 levels created by layering the Paragon (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=4204.0), Monster of Legend (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=2723.0), Mineral Warrior (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=8781.0), and Half-Troll(scrag) (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=2754.0) progressions from the same monster-class sub-forum.

Y'all people talking about "optimization" and "practical in IRL life."

If I got something like this happening to me, screw optimization. I wanna be Godzilla.

I'd have to burn some feats to be able to mix all of those (and would probably burn an extra feat on the MonsterLord, from the same forum,) but if this is happening to me I'm going rule of cool.

unseenmage
2019-03-16, 02:11 PM
Artificer Psion Wizard

Because Constructs that's why.

tstewt1921
2019-03-16, 03:44 PM
So... Chaos Monk, or what?

Oh yeah,

That would be how I have to go!

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-03-16, 04:26 PM
Bard/Crusader for sure. Become the dragonfire inspiring, dragonscale husk-ed, dual wielding, singing badass I was always meant to be. For the third class, probably something to fill in the gaps. Warlock, sorcerer, or totemist (or incarnate, maybe). Alternatively, double down on the martial side of things and take Warblade, fighter, ranger, or rogue.

Thurbane
2019-03-16, 09:41 PM
My second choice would probably be Binder//Dragonfire Adept//Marshal...
- Binder for adaptability and options.
- DFA for battlefield control (+ UMD).
- Marshal to give passive boosts to the rest of the party, Cha bonus to a whole bunch of stuff, and be a pretty awesome party face.

Not a high tier tristalt, but I think it would be enjoyable.

Vizzerdrix
2019-03-16, 10:25 PM
My second choice would probably be Binder//Dragonfire Adept//Marshal...
- Binder for adaptability and options.
- DFA for battlefield control (+ UMD).
- Marshal to give passive boosts to the rest of the party, Cha bonus to a whole bunch of stuff, and be a pretty awesome party face.

Not a high tier tristalt, but I think it would be enjoyable.

Hmm... DFA would be fantastic for cleaning the damn snow and ice from my driveway.

DMVerdandi
2019-03-17, 11:29 AM
Now this is what I'm talking about. I'll do one for pathfinder, and one for 3.5

Dragon Erudite [stp]/Psionic Artificer/Warblade

This one is just nasty. Psionic artificer IIRC, would let you craft any spell as a psionic power equivalent. This does a LOT for the power stone power absorption, effectively netting me all the spells as psionic powers.
Warblade there for Int sadness.

For PF, I'd do Zealot/Desperado[warlord]/Psychic Mage[Wizard] with the Sorcerer variant multi class and psychic bloodline.Suzerain creature template

Both essentially give me brawn, as well as insane psychic power on top. I think path of war is more fleshed out than tome of battle, but I would prefer the erudite over the psychic mage mostly. The second lets me cast as a Psion and a Psychic, but erudite just has the ability alongside the psionic artificer to know ALL the spells.

Gratuitous use of heroics spell lets me use whatever I need to as far as getting figher bonus feats.

Now, given the opportunity, I'd just home-brew my own classes. but yeah.That is what I would take in general.

BlueWitch
2019-03-17, 04:33 PM
I hadn't thought about real life either. Now that I think about it; In Real life, I'd go:

Cleric/Factotum/Monk

Cleric for healing/removing diseases from others, and making food. Factotum for skills and Cunning surge, and Monk because kicking ass with your fists in real life is badass! xD

But for DnD world, I'd go:

Wizard/Factotum/Fighter

noob
2019-03-17, 04:39 PM
I hadn't thought about real life either. Now that I think about it; In Real life, I'd go:

Cleric/Factotum/Monk

Cleric for healing/removing diseases from others, and making food. Factotum for skills and Cunning surge, and Monk because kicking ass with your fists in real life is badass! xD

But for DnD world, I'd go:

Wizard/Factotum/Fighter

the question is: are you really sure to have enough wisdom to cast spells in real life?
I am quite sure I have none of the stats required for spell-casting in real life(unless I take magical tradition and start training to lift weights or something like that) but maybe you do not have that problem.

BlueWitch
2019-03-17, 05:55 PM
the question is: are you really sure to have enough wisdom to cast spells in real life?
I am quite sure I have none of the stats required for spell-casting in real life(unless I take magical tradition and start training to lift weights or something like that) but maybe you do not have that problem.

Tbh, probably not. I'm thinking most of us is counting on magically having the stats for our dream Tristalt.

But even so, I'd only be in it for making food and healing. Imagine being able to Create French Fries or Taco's! BUT WITH MAGIC! xD

Particle_Man
2019-03-17, 06:08 PM
I would like to try warblade|swordsage|crusader for the ability to make a master of nine without the prestige class. Heck, maybe this is Renshar the iconic character from the book!

Maat Mons
2019-03-17, 06:16 PM

If he has at least 12, his score is high enough to cast Owl's Wisdom, which then gets him up to 6th-level spells.

By the time he gets 7th-level spells, he should have gotten two ability score increases. (Conceivably, he's already 4th level IRL, and the chance to pick that increase has already passed.) Though, I guess, I'm assuming he'll actually get a conscious say in where those points go.

In the worst case, he'll still get +3 from aging. As long as his base Wisdom is at least 9, he'll become able to cast 2nd-level spells before dying of old age. And then he can take Craft Wondrous Item, to be able to craft a Periapt of Wisdom +6. If his base Wisdom score is at least 10, a Periapt and venerable age will be enough to cast 9th-level spells.

Tangentially, I like to think I have above average Intelligence. (Though to be fair, most people believe they're smarter than average, and some of them are wrong.) And Artificer lets me craft a Headband of Intellect regardless of how bad my ability scores may be. So my Psion // Artificer // Monk IRL build should be able to manage okay. Even if, I'm really overestimating myself, and I don't get to pick my ability increases from level, +6 from an item and +3 from age should allow even a stupid person access to mid-level powers eventually.

Double-tangentially, a Sorcerer with the Blood of Syberis ACF treats his Charisma as 4 points higher for purposes of max spell level. So that might be useful to any ability-score-challenged would-be-casters.

noob
2019-03-17, 06:27 PM
if we get to pick feats then someone starting at 3 int and which is an artificer//wizard could craft an item of +6 to int, get the boost from aging, gain that feat that allows to count as having 2 extra int for casting thus having up to level 4 spells then later you can with some preparation cast ninth level spells by making a second item of +6 int and using the infusion that change the type of bonus on the first +6 int item.

DMVerdandi
2019-03-17, 07:45 PM

Please don't kill the fun with this kind of stuff.
It wasn't in the Op's description, so if you want to create a thought experiment about IRL stats or any of that sort, take it there.

None of this stuff is real, so why are you attempting to inject realism into it?

Warchon
2019-03-17, 11:27 PM
Cleric, Cloistered Cleric, and Paladin.
Might as well grab all the turn attempts you can and just Persist every spell you know.

Eladrinblade
2019-03-18, 07:26 AM
Warblade|Factotum|Wizard, probably.

Man, right out of the gate. This is pretty much perfect.

thethird
2019-03-18, 10:16 AM
If we are going with homebrew gramarist is the top of the list. Gramarist | Magos (mythos class) | (Psionic) Artificer. (I am a psionic artificer anyway (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577453-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life!-What-class-would-you-take&p=23663325&viewfull=1#post23663325))

If we are not going with homebrew, then Aegis (Host of Heroes) | Technician | (Psionic) Artificer.

Biggus
2019-03-19, 05:06 PM
Paladin of Freedom/ Bard/ Sorcerer for the self-synergy. Use Bard spells to boost your Dex and Cha, at high levels you can take them into the stratosphere. Makes your Sorcerer spells very hard to resist, and you very hard to kill (Sirine's Grace adds Cha to AC, Divine Grace and Ruin Delver's Fortune add Cha to saves twice). And UMD good enough to use higher-level divine spells from scrolls if you really need them...

Karmea
2019-03-20, 02:50 AM
Irl? Time Dragon//Psion//Artificer. Cheap crafting, psionic shenanigans, natural immortality & space travel? Yes please. The dragon stat boosts also alleviate possible stat-based casting problems.

In game? Still some fun monster on one side of the tristalt, because well, if there's any time to play interesting monsters, it's gestalt and tristalt where the HD and LA don't hurt as much. Build something synergistic and flavourful on that, depending on the specific monster's fluff.

Maat Mons
2019-03-20, 03:41 AM
Irl? Time Dragon

Wait, the in-real-life versions don't have to be human? Then I'm totally making my IRL one an Elan.

I mean, it was already a Psion with Timeless Body. Being an Elan just makes sense.

martixy
2019-03-20, 03:43 AM
For mostly fluff-related reasons I am particularly partial to:
Psion/Warblade/Factotum

Also action economy abuse reasons.