PDA

View Full Version : Metro 2033 Mutant building suggestions

AtanitheRanger
2019-03-15, 02:38 AM
I've had the urge to try and figure out a system that would be best for running a Metro 2033 style game. From what I've seen, All Flesh Must be Eaten could be the champion contender. It's built for survival, character creation is varied and allows interesting and different concept creations, and the 'zombie' building in the back of the book and the Atlas of the Dead adds even more that I think, with proper time I could try to figure out what each monster of the metro games roughly runs like.

However, wanting to eliminate as much work as possible. I'd love to know if anyone has any quick ideas or ways to make building the mutants easier? For starters, since the zombie building is meant for the undead, it's not an exact science, I'm still not sure how constitution is brought into play, or how to build their 'dead points'. If anyone could help me with a crash course I'd appreciate it.

For now though, any ideas on how to accurately build these mutants would be appreciated. I've tried doing the basic monster Nostalis so far, and it's looking like this:

Nosalis -

Stats:
Str: 2
Dex: 3
Perception: 2
Int: 0
Constitution: 3
Will: 2
LP: 30
EP: 26
Speed: 18

Attacks:
Claws: d6 x 2 (6 damage)

Weak Spot - All
(Power: 0)
Any attack that harms the living harms the mutant. No particular area is susceptible. They all suffer Dead Point damage until the mutant falls over, again. Just go ahead and bash them.

Speed: The Quick
(Power +10)
These mutants can actually move faster and better than normal humans. This makes them particularly dangerous. Quick moving mutants often look strange to the living because their movements are not normal. They flail their arms wildly and move like they had rubber bands for limbs. Their run is a kind of loping gait. It may sound funny, but it’s not when there’s a pack of them closing in.

Dexterity 3; Speed 18.

Special Move: Burrowing
(Power: +3)
The mutant has the ability to tunnel underneath the ground for great distances. This may not be the fastest means of traveling -- usually no more than a couple of feet per minute and only through sand and dirt (not rock). It can still come as an awful shock to the living when mutants start coming up from beneath the floorboards or through the basement wall.

Strength
Average
(Power: 0)
These mutants have average strength, 2 strength

Claws
(Power: +8)
Claws do d(6) x strength

Senses

Like the Living
(Power: +1)
This mutant returns with the perception of an average human. The better to see you, my dear! There is a drawback to this -- since the mutant retains its sense of touch, it can also feel pain. While attacks to nonvital parts cause no real damage, it still feels like they do. As a result, the mutant becomes temporarily distracted every time it takes significant damage. It is unable to act the Turn after it suffers 10+ Dead Points in a single attack. Perception 2.

Need to Feed
Occasionally
(Power: +2)
The mutant can go up to three days without eating, but every fourth day it needs to consume at least 16 ounces of its preferred nutrient. It doesn’t have to eat all 16 ounces at once, but it does need at least that much each three day period. Each day after that, the mutant starts suffering Strength loss (see Daily).

Intelligence
Animal Cunning
(Power: +2)
These mutants are able to puzzle out certain things, and do learn from experiences. At the lower level (+2 Power), the mutant gains Intelligence 0, and knows to use a more direct path to cut off prey, to lie in ambush, and to avoid harmful attacks. At the higher level (+4 Power), the mutant’s Intelligence becomes 1 but it can only act as an intelligent animal. It can open doors by pushing, lift things without grasping, or leave crude traps to get at prey. These abilities may include crude communication and teamwork, but nothing beyond the capacity of a relatively smart animal. Tool use of any sort is not possible.

Let me know your thoughts!

Grod_The_Giant
2019-03-15, 12:03 PM
STaRS (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/268061/STaRS-The-Simple-Tabletop-Roleplaying-System) would work well, especially if you're looking for a low workload on the GM side of things. It's fast, flexible, and can be alarmingly lethal if you start throwing around Weapon traits.

AtanitheRanger
2019-03-15, 07:54 PM
How does STaRS run if I may ask? I'd love to know more before buying it to see if it's a system I'd enjoy running.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-03-16, 03:36 PM
How does STaRS run if I may ask? I'd love to know more before buying it to see if it's a system I'd enjoy running.
The core is a players-roll-all-the-dice, 1d10-roll-under system. You have 10 Attributes; when you want to do something, you roll 1d10 and try to get less than or equal to your rank, with a bonus or penalty based on the circumstances/NPC stats/your skills/etc.

Combat is similar to Fate-- you have a track of plot armor health that you regain every scene, and three long-term injury slots if that runs out, and the rules are abstracted a bit ("Overcome" instead of attack, etc) so you can use them for social or environmental conflict as well as traditional hack and slash.
Players get to define their own special powers, with the xp cost being based on how versatile they are. If you had a psychic type character, a Minor Power might be just reading thoughts or just remote speaking; a Moderate Power might cover mind reading, speaking, control, and so on; and a Major Power might cover the whole gamut of telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokinesis, spirit-communing stuff, all that jazz. You also have the usual options for boosting abilities, buying more specific skills, weapons and armor, sidekicks, that sort of thing.
NPCs are easy. You give them whatever powers you feel like they need, note "Challenge Groups" of situations where the players would be at an advantage or disadvantage, make up a health track, and you're good. So the Nostalis you mentioned might wind up looking like so (making allowances for the fact that I'm unfamiliar with both Metro 2033 and All Flesh Must Be Eaten)

Nostralis:

Challenge Groups: Speed (Penalty), Intellect (Bonus)
Traits: Can burrow at a slow walking pace
Grace: 5 Physical, 3 Mental

If you want to look a bit more, the Lite Edition (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/268062/STaRS-The-Simple-Tabletop-Roleplaying-System-Lite-Edition?view_as_pub=1) is available for pay-what-you-want.

AtanitheRanger
2019-03-16, 06:16 PM
The core is a players-roll-all-the-dice, 1d10-roll-under system. You have 10 Attributes; when you want to do something, you roll 1d10 and try to get less than or equal to your rank, with a bonus or penalty based on the circumstances/NPC stats/your skills/etc.

Combat is similar to Fate-- you have a track of plot armor health that you regain every scene, and three long-term injury slots if that runs out, and the rules are abstracted a bit ("Overcome" instead of attack, etc) so you can use them for social or environmental conflict as well as traditional hack and slash.
Players get to define their own special powers, with the xp cost being based on how versatile they are. If you had a psychic type character, a Minor Power might be just reading thoughts or just remote speaking; a Moderate Power might cover mind reading, speaking, control, and so on; and a Major Power might cover the whole gamut of telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokinesis, spirit-communing stuff, all that jazz. You also have the usual options for boosting abilities, buying more specific skills, weapons and armor, sidekicks, that sort of thing.
NPCs are easy. You give them whatever powers you feel like they need, note "Challenge Groups" of situations where the players would be at an advantage or disadvantage, make up a health track, and you're good. So the Nostalis you mentioned might wind up looking like so (making allowances for the fact that I'm unfamiliar with both Metro 2033 and All Flesh Must Be Eaten)

If you want to look a bit more, the Lite Edition (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/268062/STaRS-The-Simple-Tabletop-Roleplaying-System-Lite-Edition?view_as_pub=1) is available for pay-what-you-want.

THank you for the crash course Grod, not sure if I'm up for spending the money on it at the moment though, I need to conserve funds for future endeavors, but it's definitely interesting and straightforward from what you've shown. I'll keep it in consideration for the future. All Flesh Must be Eaten is also a d10 system and I felt it was a good system to use due to the survival/gritty nature of the Metro universe. A post apocalyptic Moscow and all.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-03-16, 06:47 PM
THank you for the crash course Grod, not sure if I'm up for spending the money on it at the moment though, I need to conserve funds for future endeavors, but it's definitely interesting and straightforward from what you've shown. I'll keep it in consideration for the future. All Flesh Must be Eaten is also a d10 system and I felt it was a good system to use due to the survival/gritty nature of the Metro universe. A post apocalyptic Moscow and all.
No worries! From what I know about the two, All Flesh and Metro seem like a good match.

AtanitheRanger
2019-03-19, 12:43 AM
Appreciated Grod, sadly the only problem I'm finding is there are no rules stated out for actual radiation. There's Radiation suits and geiger counters, but nothing to help me figure out what actual radiation exposure would do. So far I can't seem to find anything about it in the books, and there's not a lot of forum talk about the system online from what I've seen.