PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Forgotten Realms adventures set

Yora
2019-03-15, 08:47 AM
I wasn't able to find a list of all the Forgotten Realms adventure for 5th ed.

Does anyone know the full list and also the locations where they take place?

Whoracle
2019-03-15, 08:52 AM
Official ones? Basically all Adventure Paths they released as print books are FR, except Ravenloft, so:

Lost Mine Of Phandelver (iForgot)
Hoard Of The Dragon Queen (All ofer the place, IIRC)
The Rise Of Tiamat (All ofer the place, IIRC)
Princes Of The Apocalypse (Underadrk)
Out Of The Abyss (Underdark)
Storm King's Thunder (All over the place)
Tales From The Yawning Portal (in parts, various locales)
Tomb Of Annihilation (Chult)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (Waterdeep)
Waterdeep: Dungeon Of The Mad Mage (Waterdeep)

Griswold
2019-03-15, 12:37 PM
There's also plenty of official modules published, if you check the Adventurers League Content Catalog here (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Player--DM-Pack). They take place in many different places, including Mulmaster, The Moonshae Isles, and so on. Someone has started to put together a spreadsheet that lists many of their locations. You can find that here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Iw4BMAsbZ9ZEM7ksSDK8RUaInZUR1-Vi8EE-5ax7cRI/edit#gid=0).

trollballz
2019-03-15, 01:55 PM
Official ones? Basically all Adventure Paths they released as print books are FR, except Ravenloft, so:

Princes of the Apocolypse takes place just a few days northeast of Waterdeep in the Desarin Valley. Takes you into the underdark there some.

Lost mine of Phlandelver takes place in Phandalin, which is just northwest of Waterdeep, between it and neverwinter.

Falcon X
2019-03-15, 02:09 PM
Hoard of the Dragon Queen is on the Sword Coast, traveling the coast from just below Baldur’s Gate to above Waterdeep. The last chapter deviates into Parnast.

Rise of Tiamat is where it really spreads to everywhere, though still focusing on the Sword Coast.

Out of the Abyss is specifically in the Darklake region of the Underdark.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-15, 03:12 PM
Are there any adventures centering around the Lake of Steam or in Halruaa? It doesn't need to be 5e, since from the spreadsheet I gather there are not.

Yora
2019-03-15, 04:08 PM
I assume Forgotten Realms Wiki is up to date. Going by the adventures listed there, all adventures are set on the Sword Coast, if you still count Chult as Sword Coast. Only one for which no location is mentioned is Princess of the Apocalypse.

Am I correct that Sword Coast Adventure Guide is the only setting book for 5th ed.?

GlenSmash!
2019-03-15, 04:16 PM
Am I correct that Sword Coast Adventure Guide is the only setting book for 5th ed.?

Correct. Setting information has now been split up into the adventures themselves and that's pretty much it.

2D8HP
2019-03-15, 05:26 PM
I assume Forgotten Realms Wiki is up to date. Going by the adventures listed there, all adventures are set on the Sword Coast, if you still count Chult as Sword Coast. Only one for which no location is mentioned is Princess of the Apocalypse.

Correct. Setting information has now been split up into the adventures themselves and that's pretty much it.

Of the adventure modules I think Storm King's Thunder and Dragon Heist probably have the most useful setting details, and maybe this is just my old eyes, but the SCAG has many pages of small type and low contrast people and is harder to read than many new-ish WotC books, so invest in a magnifying glass and a bright lamp!

Besides Curse of Strahd, The Guildmaster's Guide to Ravinca is a non Faerun setting book with a small adventure in it, and the Goodman Games 5e conversions of classic Greyhawk and Known Word adventures are good.

Some other good adventures are published for the Lamentations of the Flame Princess game, which aren't too hard to convert to 5e, though they do have damnably small type!

Griswold
2019-03-15, 08:12 PM

If you're looking for things that happen not in the Sword Coast, much of the Campaign Created Content adventures take place in the Moonsea region, the Moonshae isles, or the Border Kingdoms.

There are also Border Kingdoms and Moonshae Isles region guides, if you want more location detail.

Unoriginal
2019-03-16, 03:43 AM
Saddly the wiki isn't entirely up to date, so proceed with caution when using it.

Samayu
2019-03-16, 10:56 AM

IIRC, Princes Of The Apocalypse takes place north of Waterdeep and east of the Sword Mountains. In and under that area.

Yora
2019-03-16, 11:08 AM
I see. So with the exception of Tomb of Annihilation, all Forgotten Realms content for 5th Edtition is set in the North and Western Heartlands? Thanks, BioWare. :smallwink:

Does anyone know about 4th edition? What was the last book or adventure for Forgotten Realms that was set in other regions? Exclusinf Tomb of Annihilation.

Unoriginal
2019-03-16, 11:23 AM
I see. So with the exception of Tomb of Annihilation, all Forgotten Realms content for 5th Edtition is set in the North and Western Heartlands? Thanks, BioWare. :smallwink:

Does anyone know about 4th edition? What was the last book or adventure for Forgotten Realms that was set in other regions? Exclusinf Tomb of Annihilation.

If I may answer your question by another question: why do you want such an adventure? Is it setting information you seek?

The last FR adventure in other regions aside from ToA, and written as such would be the 5e Death In Thay, which focus on the eponymous land of the Red Wizards.

Yora
2019-03-16, 11:42 AM
Simple curiosity if my assumption is true that Forgotten Realms is now only Sword Coast and the rest of Faerūn discontinued. Very much looks like it.

Samayu
2019-03-17, 12:08 PM
I'm glad they have some undefined areas on the map. We can use them for our own settings.

I have a character with Far Traveler background. I can just make something up for her, rather than having to buy some sourcebooks to see if anything matches up with what I have in mind for her home.

LtPowers
2019-03-17, 12:30 PM
"Dead In Thay" from Tales of the Yawning Portal takes place in... Thay.

Simple curiosity if my assumption is true that Forgotten Realms is now only Sword Coast and the rest of Faerūn discontinued. Very much looks like it.

I wouldn't say "Discontinued". DDEX and DDAL modules from the first three seasons of AL all took place in and around the Moonsea. Most CCC modules do as well. Other CCCs are set in the Moonshaes and Border Kingdoms -- those areas were opened for specific conventions to use, and other areas of Faerun are available for similar assignment in the future.

In focusing on the northwestern part of Faerun, WotC is, I think, trying to dial the expansive scope of the Forgotten Realms back a bit to lower the barrier to entry for new players.

Powers &8^]

Rukelnikov
2019-03-17, 09:47 PM
TBH I'm surprised there are no adventures in Cormyr that realm looks like it was made expressly to fit medieval fantasy roleplaying.