PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Grid, a Patron based on Tron: Legacy (PEACH)

Vogie
2019-03-15, 03:16 PM
The Grid Patron

http://files.metropolis.co.jp/movies/files/2010/12/873-M-tron-legacy.jpg

"The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships? motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day..."
"You got in?"
"That's right, man. I got in."

Expanded Spell List

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Catapult, Remote Access

2nd
Arcane Hacking, Enlarge/Reduce

3rd
Sending, Tiny Servant

4th
Staggering Smite, Fabricate

5th
Teleportation Circle, Telekinesis

Light Suit
At first level, as an action, you can manifest a suit made of hardened light that increases your AC to 13+your Dexterity Modifier. The manifested suit is as light and comfortable as regular clothing, and appears as skintight battle armor including the coloring, fit, and design of the wearer's desires. You cannot manifest the suit while wearing armor or wielding a shield.

Isometric Baton
At first level, you gain a magical multitool that resembles a rod and acts as an acrane focus. You can present the baton and use your action to transform the baton into an inanimate object. This object can be no larger than 6 feet on a side and its form must be that of a nonmagical object that you have seen. The object is visibly magical, unnaturally dark with lines of dim light radiating out to 5 feet. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus. You regain all uses when you complete a short or long rest.
The object disappears after 1 hour, when you use this feature again, or if it takes or deals any damage. If you lose your Isometric Baton, you can perform a 1-hour ceremony to receive a replacement. The ceremony can be performed during a short or long rest, and it destroys the previous baton.

Pact Boon: Disc
At 3rd level, a character drawing power from The Grid can select this option instead of one of the warlock's existing Pact boon options. The Grid grants you an identity disc, a chakram that holds information. Everything seen, heard, or otherwise experienced is recorded on the wearer's disc. You can also store a number of objects equal to your charisma modifier within the disc. Each object stored in this way can be no larger than the inside circle of the disc.
You can use the disc as a light, finesse weapon, with which you are proficient, that deals 1d6 slashing damage. It also can be thrown as part of an action, dealing 1d8 slashing damage, and has a range of 30/90. Immediately after the attack, the disc flies back to your hand.
Additionally, while you carry this item, you can consult a disc's log to gain advantage on an Intelligence check, or attempting to remember anything you have seen or heard while having the disc on your person. Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you complete a short or long rest.
If you lose your disc, you can create a new one over the course of a long rest, but it does not destroy the previous disc. However, a newly created disc will not have your recorded experience or items stored prior to its creation. Anyone can potentially consult a disc to review the data and items stored within with a DC 20 Arcana check.

Phantom Vehicle
Starting at 6th level, you can present your baton as an ritual and have it transform into a large, nonmilitary vehicle appears on the ground either under you, or in an unoccupied space of your choice within 30ft. Alternatively, you can extend 2 uses of your Isometric Baton to manifest it over an action instead. You decide the vehicle's appearance.
For 1 hour, you and up to one creature you choose can ride the vehicle. The creature uses the statistics for a riding horse (AC 10), except it is a construct, and has a speed of 100 feet and can travel 10 miles in an hour. When the spell ends, the vehicle gradually fades, giving the rider 1 minute to dismount. The vehicle if you use an action to dismiss it, or if you move 10 feet away from it. Like other objects created from the baton, the vehicle also vanishes if it takes any damage.
At 14th level, this vehicle instead uses the statistics of a Pegasus (AC 12), except it has a flying speed of 150, and can travel 15 miles in an hour.

Reboot
Starting at 10th level, whenever you score a critical hit, you can expend a Hit Die to regain hit points equal to the roll + your Constitution modifier.
In addition, if a spell has the sole effect of restoring you to life (but not undeath), the caster doesn't need material components to cast the spell on you

Derez
Starting at 14th level, when you hit a creature with an attack, it must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the target takes 10d8 force damage. If this damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, it is disintegrated. Once you successfully use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
A disintegrated creature and everything it is wearing and carrying, except magic items, are reduced to a pile of tiny cubic voxels. The creature can be restored to life only by means of a true resurrection or a wish spell.

This is being created for an upcoming campaign I'm writing that acts a lot like Sliders - The party will be planehopping through various worlds, and one of them will be Tron-based.
The first ability does step on the toes of an invocation, but is mostly fluff.
The second first ability is based on a lower-powered version of a Wizard's Minor Conjuration feature.
The new Pact boon is a combination of the Seeker's Star Chain, and the Pact of the blade. It's going to be worse than most weapons summon with Bladepact, in addition to not having access to any bladepact invocations.
The 6th level ability is a better version of Phantom Steed
Reboot is a combination of the Zealot Barbarians' ribbon and the UA Raven Queen invocation.
Derez is less powerful than Hurl through Hell (which does 10d10 psychic damage) although with the niche-powerful disintegration rider.

Please let me know what you think!

nickl_2000
2019-03-17, 02:49 PM
Hey, I find this really interesting and will give so better feedback tomorrow when I have now time and books to easily compare against

nickl_2000
2019-03-18, 06:31 AM
Light Suit - I feel this is needlessly over complicated. While there is nothing wrong with it mechanicially, you could just as easily say that you can manifest a light suit giving you an AC of 13+dex when not wearing armor or carrying a shield. There is no real need for making it Mage Armor with infinite duration.

Pact Boon: Disc - More of a question than a comment. Did you intend that the disc does more damage when thrown than when used to make a melee attack? Also, if you lose your disc and replace it, does the new one also have the same memories as the old one?

Phantom Vehicle - Does the vehicle also disappear whenever it takes damage like the Isometric Baton does? Does the creation of the vehicle count as one of your uses of converting the baton?

Derez - I actually think that this capstone is underpowered compared to other Warlock 14 level abilities. Hurl through hell does 10d10 damage and has no save at all. Whereas you do 10d8 and has a constitution save for all damage. I would at least change this so that on save you take half damage and you won't be disintegrated. Alternately, you could adjust it to be once per short/long rest and leave the remaining parts of the ability alone.

Vogie
2019-03-18, 09:05 AM
Light Suit - I feel this is needlessly over complicated. While there is nothing wrong with it mechanicially, you could just as easily say that you can manifest a light suit giving you an AC of 13+dex when not wearing armor or carrying a shield. There is no real need for making it Mage Armor with infinite duration.

That... is a really simple fix.

Pact Boon: Disc - More of a question than a comment. Did you intend that the disc does more damage when thrown than when used to make a melee attack? Also, if you lose your disc and replace it, does the new one also have the same memories as the old one?

Yes, I meant it to be largely a ranged weapon, but still useable in melee.
That latter question is a good catch - I clarified the information so it is more useful, and potentially more plot-related if lost.

Phantom Vehicle - Does the vehicle also disappear whenever it takes damage like the Isometric Baton does? Does the creation of the vehicle count as one of your uses of converting the baton?

Yes, and that has been clarified. If you summon it as a ritual, it doesn't. If you expend 2 uses of your baton, it is an action.

Derez - I actually think that this capstone is underpowered compared to other Warlock 14 level abilities. Hurl through hell does 10d10 damage and has no save at all. Whereas you do 10d8 and has a constitution save for all damage. I would at least change this so that on save you take half damage and you won't be disintegrated. Alternately, you could adjust it to be once per short/long rest and leave the remaining parts of the ability alone.

I made it more frequent. More Shattering!