PDA

View Full Version : Does Haste let you use a wand again?

Citadel97501
2019-03-15, 04:24 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering if the Haste spell lets you cast from a wand again? This is coming to mind due to an Artificer Quick draw wand wielder concept I have?

JoeJ
2019-03-15, 04:28 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering if the Haste spell lets you cast from a wand again? This is coming to mind due to an Artificer Quick draw wand wielder concept I have?

The spell description lists what actions you can take with the extra action Haste provides. Activating a magic item is not on the list.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-03-15, 04:31 PM
I believe that by RAW using a Magic Item that requires you to use your action is not the same as a Use Object action.

DMG, Activating an Item (Magic Items)
Activating some magic items requires a user to do something in particular, such as holding the item and uttering a command word, reading the item if it is a scroll, or drinking it if it is a potion. The description of each item category or individual item details how an item is activated. Certain items use one or more of the following rules related to their activation.

If an item requires an action to activate, that action isn't a function of the Use an Object action, so a feature such as rogue's Fast hands can't be used to activate the item.

Since Wands are Magic Items (even the Artillerist Prototype Wand is defined as one) I would say, no, since it doesn't fall under any of Haste's usable actions.

At my table, I would allow it though.