PDA

View Full Version : Sci-fi homebrew for 5e?

Miz_Liz
2019-03-15, 05:04 PM
First thing, let me head a few naysayers off at the pass. I am fully aware that there are better systems specifically designed to run a science fiction game. I have researched them myself. That being said, I am atrocious when it comes to learning new systems, and D&D 5e is my home. It's the system I know like the back of my hand, and I want to stay in it.

All that out of the way, what are some good 5e homebrews you've come across for running a sci-fi game? I'm looking for everything; races, archetypes, rules variants, etc. I've found a few here and there myself, but I would love to get a broader scope.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-15, 05:10 PM
First thing, let me head a few naysayers off at the pass. I am fully aware that there are better systems specifically designed to run a science fiction game. I have researched them myself. That being said, I am atrocious when it comes to learning new systems, and D&D 5e is my home. It's the system I know like the back of my hand, and I want to stay in it.

All that out of the way, what are some good 5e homebrews you've come across for running a sci-fi game? I'm looking for everything; races, archetypes, rules variants, etc. I've found a few here and there myself, but I would love to get a broader scope.

Look up the Modern Unearthed Arcana for 5e. It's made by WotC, and it comes with some firearms, a bunch of modern-tech spells, a Warlock Patron and a Druid Circle (and some other stuff, I think) that all are designed for a modern world.

Find Vehicle has to be one of the best spells ever. I summon a helicopter!

GreyBlack
2019-03-15, 05:28 PM

I mean, a quick and dirty way to do this would be to just handwave wands and staffs and such to just be laser pistols that anyone can use. That said... if you're looking for inspiration, maybe read Jack Vance's Dying Earth series. It's a post-apocalyptic far future fantasy novel series that heavily inspired D&D.

Shadhael
2019-03-15, 06:25 PM

It's not homebrew in the sense that it's a completely new universe, but there is a brilliant Mass Effect skin for 5e. You can check it out at n7(dot)world

It's not quite at version 1, and there are still a couple tweaks needed, but I have run three sessions for my players and I have had exactly zero issues so far.

Calen
2019-03-15, 06:33 PM
I am running a 5e sci-fi game right now. (A Firefly meets WH40K type game, its as weird as it sounds)

Most of what I am doing is just reskinning as mentioned earlier and this works fairly well.

I am also using a lot of stuff from magehand press which might benefit you if you have some spare money.

http://mfov.magehandpress.com - General Content including some free stuff

https://store.magehandpress.com/products/dark-matter-alpha A specific Sci-Fi setting

ImproperJustice
2019-03-15, 07:17 PM
I apologize for not heeding your desire for learning a new system, but please hear me out:

Stars Without Number is a great and free sci fi system that is built on an OSR / 1e D&D chasis which is also extremely close to 5e in many respects.

Hit points, AC, the six core attributes, and a similar action economy are all there.
It would be very easy to pick up, or you could honestly pull items, equipment, vehicles, and ideas straight from its equipment list directly to your 5e game.
Especially the revised edition (also free), is very 5e friendly.

jaappleton
2019-03-15, 07:24 PM
Ok...

How, uhh.... How wild do you want to get? This is a serious question.

If you want Star Trek sci-fi, I got nothin’.

If you want the epitome of 1989’s sci-fi on steroids, I can actually help.

If you want corgi’s shooting lasers out of their mouths, neon dragons and holo-knights... I ask you to google “Lasers & Liches”.

Throne12
2019-03-15, 08:16 PM

Ok first you need to answer this question. What kind of sci-fi you want?

I think that's what Jaappleton is trying to say.

Amiel
2019-03-15, 08:55 PM

I second Man_Over_Game's suggestion of having a look at the Modern UA rules, they give some good rules modifications for running a more modern game.

On that note, have you had a look at Esper Genesis or Ultramodern5? Included in those supplements are rules specifically designed for running sci-fi games or more modern games. There's new races, archetypes, classes, rules variants (powered mech suits, vehicles like massive spider-tanks, hover jets and their ilk).