PDA

View Full Version : How to Build my Eldritch Knight (No SCAG)

ChekhovsGnu
2019-03-15, 07:58 PM
Hey lads, I'm trying to figure out how I want to build an Eldritch Knight for an upcoming campaign. We rolled for stats, and after my racial modifiers, the stats are as follows;

17 STR
14 DEX
14 CON
17 INT
16 WIS
14 CHA

We'll be starting at level 3. I figure at level 4 I'll put my ASI into STR and INT, but I don't have much of a plan beyond that. Should I be running a two-handed weapon or sword and board? Are there specific cantrips I should have in mind, considering I can't run BB or GFB? Would anyone advise multi-classing at some point, considering I have the stats for just about anything? My DM is offering everyone the chance to forego a feature gained from their archetype and replace it with a feat; would it be advisable to replace War Magic with a feat, since I can't use a melee cantrip or lightning lure anyways?

Just curious how anyone else would be running this, since I've been going back and forth on the different fighting styles I could run, and what feats I need to make a build work.

Griswold
2019-03-15, 08:28 PM
Should I be running a two-handed weapon or sword and board? Are there specific cantrips I should have in mind, considering I can't run BB or GFB? Would anyone advise multi-classing at some point, considering I have the stats for just about anything? My DM is offering everyone the chance to forego a feature gained from their archetype and replace it with a feat; would it be advisable to replace War Magic with a feat, since I can't use a melee cantrip or lightning lure anyways?

Just curious how anyone else would be running this, since I've been going back and forth on the different fighting styles I could run, and what feats I need to make a build work.

I'd recommend either going with two-handed fighting if you want to do more damage, or duelling if you want a shield and be a tank.

BB and GFB are really only useful on an Eldritch Knight when you have War Magic, and even then only until you get your 3rd attack. Then attacking 3 times > attacking once + a cantrip. So yeah, go ahead and replace it with a feat. Ritual Caster, Great Weapon Master, or just something fun would be worthwhile.

If you want to multi-class, go for it. But you don't really need it unless there's something you are searching for. Abjurer Wizard is a good combination, since you'll have a ton of Int, and it gives you some tankiness. But abjurer will get you utility more than additonal combat ability. If you want to hit things real hard, just stay Eldritch Knight.

djreynolds
2019-03-15, 09:06 PM
Your intelligence is high enough that using firebolt is a valid option. BB/GFB has changed the game.

If you do go S&B, you will definitely want war caster, and its other 2 perks are nice also.

War magic is just fine, poison spray works just fine in melee. Also you can use chilling touch or ray of frost and move and then attack.

War magic is why your are eldritch knight.

CTurbo
2019-03-15, 10:16 PM
I would probably go GWM and use a big 2 handed weapon but choose defense as your Fighting Style.

A single level of War Cleric would be great for you. You get some great cantrips, and some healing, Cleric rituals, and War Priest which is great for fighters.

Wizard levels(Abjurer) would help tremendously or you could just take Ritual Caster(Wizard) to help with out of combat situations.

You get enough feats and have high enough stats you could easily take both Ritual Caster and Magic Initiate if you wanted.

ChekhovsGnu
2019-03-15, 11:27 PM
I would probably go GWM and use a big 2 handed weapon but choose defense as your Fighting Style.

A single level of War Cleric would be great for you. You get some great cantrips, and some healing, Cleric rituals, and War Priest which is great for fighters.

Wizard levels(Abjurer) would help tremendously or you could just take Ritual Caster(Wizard) to help with out of combat situations.

You get enough feats and have high enough stats you could easily take both Ritual Caster and Magic Initiate if you wanted.

Thank you for the War Cleric suggestion; that specific subclass wouldn't have occurred to me. Always having divine favor *and* (more importantly) shield of faith prepared sounds great, as long as I have the spell slots to support it. Also, nice to have a way to make my high wisdom relevant in combat with War Priest. I'll definitely be keeping that in mind as a potential dip each time I gain a level, since I'm not *exactly* sure where to place it in my path.

I'll be deciding whether it makes a lot of sense to take Ritual Caster/Magic Initiate (or even wizard levels) depending on the capabilities of my party, I suppose; I'm not sure if it's a role that will need to be filled, and I think I prefer more fighter levels to wizard levels.

This mainly leaves me still deciding my fighting style and whether I go two-handed or sword and board. While I'd prefer sword and board by default, that seems like it would make casting material-component spells more difficult in combat, since I'd have to drop/stow my weapon each time?

CTurbo
2019-03-15, 11:48 PM
The biggest issues with fighters in 5e is lack of things to do outside of combat. That's why I think Ritual Caster and Magic Initiate are top 5 feat picks for them. 1 level of Wizard is actually better than both of those feats combined though if you think about it. The only thing Ritual Caster has in its favor comparatively is you could learn higher level rituals whereas with a single level of Wizard you'd be stuck with 1st level rituals, but for the most part, 1 level Wizard would cover both and then some.

I'd choose GWM over S&B because with the Defense style and GWM, you'd only be down 1AC and then you don't have to worry about Warcaster which is much less awesome without Booming Blade.
2 handed weapons just have more feat support.

Consider Polearm Master as an alternative. It's a great feat for DPR and combines with GWM if needed. This makes War Cleric a little less attractive though.

Forge Cleric is another great dip. It adds a lot of utility and can boost your AC. Tempest or Light gives you a fun reaction ability.

A 3 level Ranger dip would great. Either Hunter or Gloom Stalker would add a lot.

Ventruenox
2019-03-16, 12:12 AM
A two level dip into War Wizard for the Arcane Deflection and initiative bonus would be worthwhile. You wouldn't need to spend a feat for Ritual Caster, you get the extra cantrips, plus slot regeneration.

While Firebolt is always great for range and utility, Frostbite can also be worthwhile for the rider effect. Take a utility cantrip like Control Flames or Shape Water to stick with an elemental theme. You could even influence RP characterization by playing up the Maverick/Iceman Top Gun tropes.

djreynolds
2019-03-16, 01:17 AM
Are willing to multiclass? Because really anything is open to you.

Your stats are great.

Begin as an EK, do not be afraid to take 2 levels of paladin.

2 levels of wizard
2 levels of any cleric, really. Knowledge cleric is 2 skills with expertise
2 rogue
2 ranger
3 sorcerer
ETC

IMO you want 7, or 8, or 11 EK.

Here it is, how do you fight in combat. What dip would enhance that.