PDA

View Full Version : The Village of Hommlet 3.5 IC

HumanTemplate
2019-03-16, 03:10 AM
The Village of Hommlet

"Your party is now approaching the village of Hommlet. You are badly mounted, badly geared and in general offer a terrible image for any bystander. A motley crew united only by the mutual defense during an attack by goblin marauders. However, the desire to become famous, powerful and wealthy boils in your blood and has taken you into this Bahamut forgotten place. You have heard stories of how this village and its castle grew after the battle of the Meadows against a cult lead by nihilistic gnolls and goblins wh wanted destruction and chaos.

Yes, there might be some orcs among you, but since the events of the year of the falling arrow, orcs all over have expressed a desire to leave wars behind them and unite in powerful clans. Not like goblins and their kin, who only want to kill and destroy.

Hommlet is ruled by Rufus and Burne, or so you have heard, a wizard and a Warrior who were central in the battle 14 years ago and who have secured the funding and patronship of the seven and from the citadel itself. With that, hey build an impressive fortress to stablish a control over the monster infested woods and swamps to the east and south.

But other than the castle, the village looks like a collection of low ill built houses, farms and muddy streets.

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/original/img/StRXYEi4dTVLPhVT5JW9hkwi1XQ=/0x0/pic1115519.jpg

What adventures can you find in this place?

HumanTemplate
2019-03-16, 03:14 AM
Reserved for the DM

u-b
2019-03-16, 04:07 AM
"Scout the village then meet with the chiefs?" asks Gashur as the party gets closer to the settlement. He carries the glaive in hand, always ready to use it, but, in civilized langs, tries to generally do it in a non-threathening manner.

Unless proposed otherwise, the plan is to scout the village, obtaining the knowledge equivalent to a map and a list of shops/inns/taverns, then make an appointment with local ruling powers at the castle, or with whomever they have appointed for greeting the passing warbands.

John Cribati
2019-03-16, 07:06 AM
"Sounds about right to me." She shrugs half-heartedly, trying not to sound too sarcastic about it. She personally thought Gashur was trying a little too hard to establish himself as "leader" their group. Not that she had any issue following that lead. "Are we splitting up, or are the half dozen of us going to spy out this village as a group?"

zlefin
2019-03-16, 09:40 AM
Jim:
What kinda scouting you talking about? I wouldn't want to cause alarm for the village with people skulking around the perimeter. Long as we approach careful to make sure those goblin marauders haven't taken the village we should be fine; and signs of that should be pretty obvious. Might be easier to just walk up to the village and introduce ourselves.

Jopustopin
2019-03-16, 11:36 AM
Aareon (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1541692)

Aareon sheaths his longsword when they neared the village and unstraps his shield and stows it on his back. He doesn't look all that interested in the discussion but does respond, almost with a bored tone to his voice (as one who is overly confident would), "I doubt that any would confuse us for anything other than what we are. Word will spread of our presence and if that doesn't bring us work on it's own then on the 'morrow I can speak to the humans who rule this area."

u-b
2019-03-16, 11:50 AM
"I mean open scouting. Talk with locals, yes. Not looking like we cause trouble. Just want to know our way around the village."

John Cribati
2019-03-16, 11:50 AM
"Of course we wouldn't actually be-." She sighs and shakes her head. "{I suppose people are just more literal where you're from,}" she stage-whispers in Orcish. "That must have been bad phrasing on my part; my point was supposed to be about how inefficient, and likely suspicious- It would be to move as a single group to get the lay of the land."

kinem
2019-03-16, 12:10 PM
Arun Grun laughs and says "Best place to scout a town would be a tavern."

His rather large sword is kept in its sheath on his back - close enough to draw if needed, but best to reassure the locals by not waving it around otherwise, especially for one with orc blood like himself.

HumanTemplate
2019-03-16, 12:19 PM
As you approach the village itself, leaving behind the last farms, four armed people approach you, and a few children follow them. Probably one of the brats saw you and alerted the local militia. They walk towards you, armed with longspears and axes, and geared up in matching chainmail armors.

But they don't look threatening at all.

"Halt! and state your intentions in the village." says a chubby half-orc who seems to be the one in charge.

Jopustopin
2019-03-16, 12:27 PM

Aareon sizes up the militia with respect and nods slightly before speaking, somehow adopting a local accent to his speech, "Boar. Ale. And beds would be our immediate intentions. We've had much work cleaning up the roads of the goblin filth lately and it's high time we spent some of their ill gotten gains, tended our wounds, and rested up before we venture out to find more of their kind. You had any raidin' problems round' these parts as of late?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

HumanTemplate
2019-03-16, 05:52 PM
The militia half-orc looks at the lot of you and gives a nod.

"Alright, tha best place for that would be the Wellcome Wench. Boar is not in season, but they got great cured venison. Be sure to behave correctly. I'll report yer arrival to the bosses."

His unit, two men and a young woman, look at you and then let you go through. The children follow you at a certain distance, laughing and whispering until an elderly woman comes out of her house and grabs one by the ear. the rest laugh and forget about you.

Janwin
2019-03-16, 06:48 PM
Glimlac walks along with his strange traveling companions, looking out of place as the only one shorter than four feet tall.

"So far, so good. At least the townspeople didn't attack us as soon as they saw us."

He glimpses at the orc, and quickly follows up with a hasty, "Not that they'd have any reason to, of course."

As they walk into the town, he keeps his eyes open for anything of interest: magic shops, historical points of interest, magic shops, etc.

John Cribati
2019-03-16, 07:34 PM
Bek'kuh almost wants to pat him on the head. This sweet summer child (who was probably older than her but she felt that way in spirit). "Eh. Humans prefer to attack us with insults and sidelong glances, anyway."

u-b
2019-03-17, 03:31 AM
"Which way is Wellcome Wench?" asks Gashur before continuing through. Then he goes as directed, but keeps his eyes open for any other points of interest. He has no money for any immediate shopping, but just likes to know his surroundings.

By the way, what time is it now?

DrunkMongoose
2019-03-17, 07:10 AM
Baridal Ironbeard (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1853512)

Baridal gives a friendly nod of greeting and tries to flash a amicable smile to any local folks they pass that seem to be staring or expressing a look of concern as he and his motley crew of traveling companions walk incongruously through the town.

"Well they ain't run us through with their steel yet, so I'm betting we gonna be just fine.

Oi, I hope dis Welcome Wench ain't much further because I'm as thirsty as a snail stuck in a salt mine. Besides ain't no better way to find out what's what around here then having a few ales at da local quenching hole. "

zlefin
2019-03-17, 07:15 AM
Thank you kindly, that sounds delicious Jim says to the militia.
He'll stay with the group while they get the lay of the land, then head to the tavern.

OOC clarification: how long have we been walking by the way? Just wondering whether we'd all be hungry now cuz it's been an 8 hour walk or something.

HumanTemplate
2019-03-17, 08:43 AM
The village is rather small (rules-wise is a Hamlet, but calling it the hamlet of Hommlet is dumb).

It 's mostly a collection of farms and some large wooden buildings. To the east you can see the Castle, rising above the village and among many well-groomed groves.

http://pathfinder-greyhawk.wdfiles.com/local--files/images/Hommlet-Illus-C.png

The guards tell you to turn left (north) at the main street. There you'll find the Wellcome Wench. It is the largest building by far, only after the castle. Already you can see that many patrons are gathering there as the chores of the day end.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BZTDLIb0T9k/US_IROBejdI/AAAAAAAAAaM/jRg7vB5xLV0/s1600/hommletmap65.jpg

The place is neat, a sign of prosperity. Despite the aspect of the streets and houses. You get the general feeling that this is a thriving and somehow cosmopolitan community. The milita was well equipped and that castle looks impressive by any measure.

Hommlet is independent although it sits in the limits of the County of Verbonbonc. It grew after the battle of the Meadows, but you don't really know much about that battle.

The collection of farms under the name of Hommlet and the village of Nulb were the most important settlements this far east. Nulb however has a bad reputation and it seems it has been abandoned. Rumors have it that the Viscount of Verbonbonc is worried about bandit brigands operating from the forests and marshes east of Hommlet.

The caslte was built after the battle of the Meadows, in which the allied forces of good fought an army of monsters and bandits who had taken Nulb as a base of operation and built a Moat House east of Hommlet. Apparently, the citadel and some other local powers sponsored the castle and have helped Hommlet to remain independent from Verbonbonc.

More obscure lore says that those monsters and brigands were in facts followers of a nihilistic and destructive cult which had a smal chappel in the marches near Nulb. The chappel grew into a temple and a group of heroes took it down. Some of the heroes of that battle unified Hommlet and were granted the recognition of the Church of St Cuthbert and the Citadel. They still live in the village

The wellcome Wench is a nice busy place, it offers food and lodging and it is the only inn in several leagues around. Though there's a brewery in the village too.

Jopustopin
2019-03-17, 09:18 AM

Aareon nods as they depart the militia but frowns a bit before finally speaking "Shouldn't have waited until my 110th year to learn the common tongue. Which animal is the boar again? Is that the one humans get milk from and clambers along the mountainsides?"

As they approach the Inn, Aareon smiles at the thought of warm food instead of another ration tonight, "I hadn't realized this was going to be a real human city and not just another speck of houses on the side of the road. Gods I hope they have wine."

Aareon will purchase a meal (good meal per phb, 5sp) with wine if they have it, or the local beer from the brewery if they don't.

John Cribati
2019-03-17, 09:34 AM
Bek'kuh (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1849265)

Her face narrows at the elf's description. "Boars are pigs, but angrier. You're probably thinking of a goat. And trust me, it's enough of a hassle getting milk from one of those that if someone made an honest attempt to milk a boar I could do little except entreat the gods for the safe passage of that poor soul."

u-b
2019-03-17, 10:46 AM
"Hullo there. Good evening." says Gashur entering the establisment. He sits where a welcoming wench directs him, presumably with the rest of the party. He puts the glaive against the wall, the backpack and the quiver on the floor near the table. He doesn't take off his spiked gauntlet from the left hand. "One good dinner, with meat, ale and stuff, please." says the orc putting two silver coins on the table. Manners. In civilized lands it's all about manners.

Aareon will purchase a meal (good meal per phb, 5sp) with wine if they have it, or the local beer from the brewery if they don't.I think that's 5sp per day. Maybe 2sp for the dinner.

After the dinner, Gashur will take a bath / laundry service. Not sure how much that is going to cost. Then he is going to take Common lodging (for 5sp, presumably).

DrunkMongoose
2019-03-17, 11:28 AM

Baridal gives a rumbled chuckle after hearing Bek'kuh mention someone trying to milk a boar.
"Nae caring if it's boar, goat, or even roasted rat, as long as it's a hot meaty meal and not more of those dry Rations we been choking down."
Baridal gives a wry playful grin towards Aareon as they walk into the Wellcome Wench
"And who knows, Maybe they have some twigs and squirrel food for Aareon to eat."

Baridal follows Gashur in, but he breaks off and goes straight to the bar. He orders 2 mugs of Ale, and then makes his way back to the table whereever the rest of the party is sitting. Once he has a couple swigs from each mug he then orders some food.

Baridal orders couple mugs of ale(8cp), a loaf of bread (2cp) and chuckle of whatever meat they have (4sp)dinner. For a grand total of 5sp.

zlefin
2019-03-17, 01:17 PM
Jim:
Jim chuckles at the amusing banter, but is otherwise largely silent aside from a few remarks:
ahhh, good to be back in a proper city again.

at the tavern he'll order a poor meal, and likewise for lodgings when it comes time for that.
No telling how long it'll take to find work here, and for that work to earn some money. Looking forward to a nice long rest from all that walking we've been doing.

HumanTemplate
2019-03-17, 02:13 PM
https://rpg.ambient-mixer.com/images_template/1/c/7/1c7cfe307cd40fb880d45d12201b0482_full.jpg

The place has a high reputation and there are man,y customers.
Farmers and hunters who talk about the weather and animals, harvests and rains. Apparently there was some late spring ice a few days ago.
Others crack jokes and the general busy conversation of the gig gives the impression of a united and well off community.

Prosperity can also be smelled in the air and on the well-served tables: Venison and mutton, poached salmon and trout, goose and pork, saussages and beans, kidney pies and mushrooms.
Crayfish in butter.

The patrons hold large mugs of mead and beer and fine bottles of wine can be seen at the bar.

The patrons look at you, but none pays much attention. Most are human, but there are some half orcs and halflings.

Prices are higher than usual as this is the only inn in several miles.

Breakfast plain
Breakfast elaborate
Dinner, plain
Dinner elaborated
Dinner, 7 courses
Supper, simple
Supper, elaborate
Beer, pint
Beer, Heavy, pint
Ale, pint
Ale special, pint
Mead, pint
Mead, special brew, pint
Wine pint
Wine Keoish golden, pint
Wine, Urnst white
Wine, Celene Ruby
Wine, Sundish lilac
Wine Furyoundian emerald
Wine, Velunan fireamber, pint
Brandy, local
Brandy, Keoish, gill
Brandy, Ursnt, aged special
Ulek elixir liqueur

5c.p
2sp
5sp
1gp
2gp
3sp
7sp
5cp
1sp
2sp
1sp
1sp
15sp
1sp
15sp
1gp
2gp
3gp
4gp
1pp
1sp
1gp
3gp
5gp

John Cribati
2019-03-17, 02:22 PM

She sits near Arun and looks over the menu, eyeing the "special brew" mead curiously. Well, she did have the coin to spare... "I'll have whatever meat and vegetables you've got, and two pints of that special brew mead."

Simple Supper + 2 pints special mead. -33 SP. 44 GP and 3 SP left.

kinem
2019-03-17, 03:18 PM
Arun says "That sounds good. I'll have the same. Please" he tells the server.

He tells his companions "I don't know about this place, for work. Too big, too strong. If I were a goblin, I probably wouldn't raid it."

Janwin
2019-03-17, 05:34 PM
Glimlac looks around at the patrons, taking in the whole scene, and joins his companions at a table.

"Yep. Seem relatively competent here. Even have guards."

He orders a simple supper and a pint of beer from the server.

"Maybe like the stories performed on stage, some random, needy and -very- wealthy stranger will come running in through the door seeking brave adventurers to assist them in some horrible horror that has befallen them."

Jopustopin
2019-03-17, 06:39 PM

Aareon's face doesn't change as he looks through his coin purse but he does respond to Glimlac, "Hopefully very wealthy."

When his food comes Aareon puts away far more food than you would expect an elf to eat. He washes it down with three glasses of wine all the while getting more and more talkative (and boastful).

"Have a hard time telling the difference between an orc and dwarf. They smell the same, they drink the same. Barely tell the difference. I'm told one is fatter than the other and even humans won't mate with one of em'. Both can't hit goblins for shít." The elf laughs at that referencing the goblin attack (although conveniently forgetting the beginning of the fight).

"Ahh, I'm joking you two. But if we could get Glimlac a weapon, I'm gonna need some help on the front line if you two don't step it up. It was cute making Gashur 10 feet tall to make things even between us, but next time probably cast a spell that makes him actually hit things." (wildly inaccurate description of the fight from Aareon).

At some point, Aareon will work the room a little bit before bed. As an elf he's used to humans asking more about him and he works it up trying to get some information about the area.

Supper Elaborate: 7 sp, 3 glasses of wine, celene ruby: 6 Gp

Will also gather information throughout the evening:

Gather Information: [roll0]

u-b
2019-03-18, 09:42 AM
Being informed that his two silver coins are only good for one pint of ale (or two pints of ale special) and not for the dinner itself, Gashur orders said ale and inquires how much would it be for the dinner. He is somewhat impressed by the prices, but then confirms his dinner request. Dining, Gashur is not hurrying anywhere and tries to have good time and enjoy the music some band seems to be playing. The place seem to have an ample supply of patrons. "Prosperous community." he says "Maybe good thing." But he was, in fact, not sure. Maybe good thing if and when the party is on the receiving end of the payments. Anyway, for now, he has paid for it... "{Wanna dance?}" he asks Bek'kuh in Orcish.

Elaborated dinner for 10sp and 2sp worth of ale.

Perform (dance, conditional): [roll0]

John Cribati
2019-03-18, 11:18 AM

She eyes Gashur with a hint of mirth. It was moments like these where she likes to imagine that the other two orcs in the party were in some sort of competition over her (it wasn't that long ago that she was a teenager, and a socially stunted one at that; she can dream). Still, the song playing lacked a certain "oomph" that orcish music tended to have in spades. "I'm not even sure we can dance to this, but I don't see why we can't try."

Perform (Dance) [roll0]

Janwin
2019-03-18, 01:10 PM
Glimlac comments to the elf, "I don't need a weapon. I -am- a weapon." A small cat claws at the elf's leg quickly before scurrying back over to the gnome and settling under his chair.

He reaches down and pets the cat briefly and in a soothing voice says, "Yes, good girl, Dolliz. I know, I know...the dumb man doesn't understand magic. It's ok. Not everyone can be as smart as you."

As his food arrives, he digs in, clearly enjoying whatever it was that was brought over. Some sort of meat and local vegetables, probably.

As the two orcs (sorta) get up and dance, and do so surprisingly well, Glimlac claps and exclaims, "A splendid dance! Truly magnificent! Particularly impressive how you managed to time such odd movements to the tune played!" He actually does seem rather impressed; after all, one who has long been exposed to performances can judge an excellent performance.

John Cribati
2019-03-18, 01:43 PM

"This looks odd to you?" She responds in the middle of one of the simpler steps, taking deep, pabting breaths. What's gnome dancing like, then?... Do the women do their best... to pretend they don't have hips?"

Janwin
2019-03-18, 02:23 PM
He chuckles, "Well, yes. Gnomish dancing has less pelvic thrusting, certainly. There's simply a bit more...flair."

To accentuate his meaning, he moves a bit closer to the dancing area and casts a spell.

A number of colorful, glowing orbs start to float around Bek'kuh as she dances, slowly circling her to the pace of the music. Occasionally, on the time of the beat, Glimlac flicks a finger, sending a glowing ball in a graceful arc up over her and it drops back into rotation on her other side.

"All Gnomes innately know some little tricks of light, so much of our dancing includes a show."

Cast Preditigitation - 1/day from Race

HumanTemplate
2019-03-18, 04:40 PM

She eyes Gashur with a hint of mirth. It was moments like these where she likes to imagine that the other two orcs in the party were in some sort of competition over her (she's still a teenager, and a socially stunted one at that; she can dream). Still, the song playing lacked a certain "oomph" that orcish music tended to have in spades. "I'm not even sure we can dance to this, but I don't see why we can't try."

Perform (Dance) [roll0]

One of the musicians, a languid romantic looking fellow stares, marvelled at the young half-orc lady.

The place is pleasant. Patrons seem to have the coin to spare, it is most likely a very closed economy in which the products of the inn that are not imported, are bought from the other local producers. They are thriving and all is well.
There are three barmaids and two young boys running errands. They seem really busy.

@ Aareon You move among the patrons, hearing their conversations and asking some questions, it costs you a mug of ale, which is quickly dispatched by some locals. Most of the chatter is about the harvest, or the taxes levied by the viscount on the cheese and the wheat.

However, you overhear a few mentions of a band of brigands that have been causing some trouble on the eastern routes. Nobody seems to be really concerned, the commerce through that side has always been slow. But the fish and the game on that side are famous. "I caught a 100 pound catfish once in the Botomless Lake".

You also get a very general idea of the hommlet structure. The authority figures are Rufus and Burne, who live in the castle, and the canoness Y'Dei, who takes care of the church of St Cuthbert.

@ALL

Other than the patrons there is also a young man sitting alone in a table, scribbling over a large volume. His venison has gone cold and the grease starts to congelate, but he remains focused on the volume.
http://pre09.deviantart.net/1a68/th/pre/i/2012/228/f/e/portrait_of_auster_denoerval_by_virginiecarquin-d59minl.jpg

Later, a few militiamen come in and sit along another young man who is not quipped like them. He seems to command certain authority despite his age. Patrons toast with him from a distance and he seems very interested in the lot of you.
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/e1/26/05/e12605df05ddaae93b1bf458ae8cf8ab--character-portraits-character-art.jpg

kinem
2019-03-18, 07:43 PM
Arun claps. Dancing, light shows … What could I do to impress? Arm wrestle? If this peaceful stuff keeps growing, then entertaining people might even become a more important skill than hitting guys hard with a sharp stick. Crazy? Maybe, but I should figure out how to be more flashy.

DrunkMongoose
2019-03-18, 10:06 PM

Baridal ignores some of Aareons comments semi because for an elf he does seem to take a good whacking to the chin and handles his steel well enough as most, but more so because Baridal is thirsty and hungry. The Loud stout orders a bit more of Ale and food, and enjoys using his hard earn coin from the goblins they battled. Once he has a few pints in him and the Half orcs start dancing, he mingles about the bar and starts telling jokes/stories to anyone that seems interested to listen, but he does so at first without thinking about who hears and might take offense.

"......Did I ever mention the time I almost died in da lands extending between Sheldomar Valley and the Azure Sea. Well I was marching along and came running up da a hill, when suddenly I see a platoon of da Pomarj orcish army. As soon as I saw dem I heard their tusker toothed orcish officer say
"There is a single Dwarf. Kill it! "
and he commanded 10 of his finest ta come crush me bones ta dust! I ran back down da hill and da tuskers came following. Once it was finished I came back up and shouted out
"one dwarf beats 50 Tusker!"
Well dat was like pissing on an umber hulk nest in da middle of a mine fire.
It made da warlord even more angry, and he called out and sent 50 more orcs to kill me. Well I ran back down da hill and once again I came back alone and shouted
"one dwarf beats 100 Tuskers!"
Well dis time da orcish warlord was hotter den an adamantine ladle dipped in a volcano.
He sent more Orcs than a elven town has treehuggers. They came in da dozens following me down da hill...battle raged for almost a half hour until dare was silence. Den finally one wounded orc was able ta return to da Orcish warlord, and said "It was an ambush.. there wasn't one but two stouts!""
Baridal gives a loud laugh or two at his tale, and realizes he doesn't want others to think bad of his travel companions so he quickly says "Well that was the Pomarj orcs, some of dem aint so bad."

Overall he doesnt pay too much attention to the dancing since its orcish, and he doesnt dance. Baridal does notice the small militia and young man that seems to command their attention, and he decides to start making his way over to him.

(obviously this supersedes the previous post where Baridal ordered food per PH) Baridal order takes place over everything that happens so far i.e his conversation, music and the dancing that occurs. He orders 4- Mead, special brew, (4x15sp= 60sp),Dinner, 7 courses (2gd)+30sp in food/music tips For a grand total of11gd .

John Cribati
2019-03-19, 03:20 AM

He chuckles, "Well, yes. Gnomish dancing has less pelvic thrusting, certainly. There's simply a bit more...flair."

"I'm not thrusting. I'm rolling."

She has to admit, though, that the floating lights to go along with her dance are a nice touch, and she smiles at her small friend.

Between the light show, a few encores, and some complicated steps, it takes her a bit to notice the musician focusing on her. But his eyes are definitely following her, and he's missing more than his fair share of notes.

She knew statistically that there were people who'd find beauty outside of their own species. Her father was one of them, after all. Still, it was something new to have someone look at her with desire like that.

Maybe she should have a little fun with it.

The song is winding down, and during a slower portion, she meets the staring musician's gaze with what she hopes looks like a knowing smirk. Her hands trace up and down the sides of her torso with a final flare of her hips, and she winks at him, blowing a kiss.

I didn't set out to do the Stereotypical Bard ThingTM and seduce the NPCs, but the opportunity has been presented to me so here's that Charisma Check: [roll0]

This is assuming that we are dealing with an NPC and not CNFish's character.

CNFish
2019-03-19, 06:44 AM
Aushtyn is just finishing up his daily dinner at the inn when he notices the party enter. they look like they've seen better days he thinks to himself. But he makes no attempt to interact with the party until two of them start to dance. He sees it as an opportunity to play for his fellow patrons, after all the day is nigh gone and he has yet to play his lute for the world. Aushtyn pulls the lute off of his back rather quickly and nears the center of the room where most of the people can hear him and begins to let the music do the talking for him.

Perform lute [roll0]

zlefin
2019-03-19, 08:08 AM
Jim:
Jim enquires of the servers:
So how much exactly is in one of these breakfast meals, and are they available now? Prices here seem rather higher than I'm used to; and I don't get why the suppers are so much more expensive than the breakfasts.

(taking 10 on any relevant skill rolls if they're needed)

HumanTemplate
2019-03-19, 02:47 PM
@Barridal: The meal is excellent. Smoked venison slices with baked potatoes and baked pumpkins. Then some salmon with onions and honey, later some artichokes with some kind of cured pork on them. Trully excellent.

You approach the group of young men with a mug in your hand. The one who does not wear a uniform smiles politely at you as you approach.

He indicates the others with a gesture to bring a stool for you. He greets you:

"Pops told me about a group of newcomers who passed in front of the house bout' an hour ago. I wanted to see them by my self. Name's Elmo. And I always want to hear the traveller's stories. Bit boring on this side for a few years"

@Arun A group of women drinking at the bar throw gazes at you as you flex your arms thinking about what to impress. They whisper to each other and laugh.
One of them, a broad strong lass in her 40's comes over to your table and offers a well worked hand.

"Do ye dance? I like mine strong as trees"

@Bek'Kuh

The young lad that looked at you gives a pretty decent laud solo. He seems to be the only one who knows how to pull the strings professionally.

@Aushtyn

The dancer looks at you, hips swinging in the air with your solo, and she winks and blows a kiss.

The folk dance and drink merrily.

@Jim A rather busy barmaid hears your request. She rolls her eyes and answers sharply.

"Hun, we got what we got. We milk the goat in the morning, we roast the pork for dinner. I can get you a garlic soup if ye really want something cheap."

Jopustopin
2019-03-19, 05:15 PM

As Aareon works the bar he notices the young man sitting alone not eating his food and inquires into his name. If he can he'll take a brief minute to talk with him. Introducing himself politely and making small talk.

As the evening gets later and he see's the new group show up (and Baridal pulling up a stool), he throws some more coin on the barkeep and orders a round of shots for the table. Specifically, Brandy, Keoish, Gill for Baridal, himself, and the young important man. The rest of of the men he buys the local brandy (as he finds himself running low on gold).

"Well met Elmo, Baridal does have the interesting stories! Aye. We're probably an odd bunch; brought together by fate, coin, good, and a little bit of glory." Aareon clears his throat and extends a hand as humans do, "Aareon Sionnoedel, champion of Corellon, son of some elven king, but I say that only to impress. My people don't call us princes or what not. Merit is how we choose our king and I'm a good five hundred years away from that."

With the waitress showing up to drop off the brandy Aareon picks up his glass, "Which means I have five hundred years to earn it. This is a mighty fine establishment gentlemen, I'd like to give a toast from my people to yours, Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo."

Aareon pauses a second before smiling a bit, "Health, Prosperity, Love, and the good life."

After taking the shot he does smile at Baridal, "I know you and Gashur didn't like my rendition of the story of how we met, perhaps you'd like to tell the tale?"

Just tell me how much I owe. Hopefully I'm not washing dishes tonight.
Diplomacy: [roll0] if needed.

CNFish
2019-03-19, 05:26 PM
As aushtyns set winds down, he decides now would be a good time to approach the party. He approaches bek'kuh, as he is enthralled with the way she moves. Certainly this woman is different then the rest of the women he sees daily. The entire woman just screams unique.

as unique as your dancing is miss, it is truly you who are a gem. My name is Lupus albus Aushtyn, but most people just refer to me as Aushtyn. I saw you and your friends enter earlier, I assume you had a tough travel getting here?

Janwin
2019-03-19, 06:07 PM
Although he's standing rather close to Bek'kuh in order to do the light effect, nobody seems to ever notice the gnome. Both a blessing and a curse.

This time, however, it seems to perturb him. With a flick of a finger, one of the dancing balls of light floats up to Aushtyn's face where it proceeds to bounce around in front of his eyes as though it was held up by a bit of string attached to his forehead.

The gnome does his best to look nonchalant as it happens.

CNFish
2019-03-19, 06:25 PM
Aushtyn is amused at the ball of light. neat trick

kinem
2019-03-19, 07:07 PM
@Arun A group of women drinking at the bar throw gazes at you as you flex your arms thinking about what to impress. They whisper to each other and laugh.
One of them, a broad strong lass in her 40's comes over to your table and offers a well worked hand.

"Do ye dance? I like mine strong as trees"

Arun looks at the old woman. Not exactly the kind of partner he was hoping for, but Becca is already receiving plenty of attention right now.

"I haven't, but I'm game to try it" he tells the woman, and heads onto the floor with her. The only 'dance' he's used to is that of battle, and he tries to at least not hurt anyone …

ooc: Perform (dance) [roll0]

zlefin
2019-03-19, 08:22 PM
Jim:

that garlic soup would probably be best then, thank you; what would be the price on it?

Jim otherwise remains quietly seated at his table, looking up with tired eyes and a slight smile to watch the reverie.

John Cribati
2019-03-19, 09:42 PM

She takes herself back to her seat to rest her feet, fanning herself and removing her outer jacket to cool down. She smiles coyly as the man approaches her, a bit proud that she's managed to do so well on her first try, until she realizes.

A man is approaching her.

What the hell do I do now?

He's talking to her? Like, he actually wants to talk to her? And now he's complimenting her?

And she isn't saying anything.

Uh...

That still isn't saying anything!

Thankfully, Glimlac distracts the man with one of his gnome lights, snapping her out of her stupor.

"You play good!" she tells out before she can stop herself. "I mean! Rebecca! My name. But you can call me Bek'kuh. That's what everyone calls me. It's my orc name, not my human one. Even though it's pretty much the same as when you shorten 'Rebecca' except it's got two 'Ks' with an apostrophe in-between them because there's a glottal stop in there and now I'm rambling so I'll shut up!

She offers a handshake.

Hi.

HumanTemplate
2019-03-20, 06:48 AM
Barridar and Aareon: The barmaid, a young girl about 16 with raven black hair, blushes when you try to pay a round for the militiamen and Elmo's drinks.

"Oh, no sir, thanks, but their expenses are covered by lord Rufus. Cannot do that sir."

She says as she brings the drinks.

Elmo nods at you and thanks you anyway.

"Kind of you, stranger, but not needed."

Elmo is a bit slow when speaking, he seems of below average intellect, but his eyes are deep and show some wild wisdom. He is unarmed, except for a beatuifully crafted Hand-Axe the handle made of hardened birch and the blade has runes on it.

He hears your story.

Then, sipping the brandy, he asks:

"And what exactly brings you here? There haven't been any problems since mi brother Olie and Lord Rufus fought those damn gnolls and crazy clerics when I was a lanky lad."

"Are you looking for a place to settle?"

"The militia may be has a couple of openings."

"Or are you here for the rumours of brigands in the marshes?"

@Arun, you dance with the old woman and you manage to do it well, at least you don't step on her. She winks at you and she goes back to her friends, they chuckle and look at your huge arms.

Grimlac

The young lanky dude sitting by himself notices your dancing lights (They last only 1 minute but ok). He looks around, trying to see who has made them and fixes his eyes in you. He clearly understands the "trick". Then he notices his cold meal and with a simple flick of his wrist you see that the congelated fat starts to melt and the food steams. He then smiles at you and proceeds to eat.

DC 10: He casts prestidigitation

Bek'khu

If the other Orcs do not want to try their hand, may be this thin guy is more daring. But he looks more like a tindertwigg than brave Gashur

@Gashur: as Bek'khu dances with the human, you hear two of the patrons talking loudly about a bet:

"Bet you cannot throw one of me pumkins farther than me young son"

"Bet you a dinner I can"

And they start to add to the pot.

Jim, an errand boy brings you the soup. Garlic soup with crumped dread and scalded egg. "5 copper, sir".

CNFish
2019-03-20, 07:41 AM
At this point I just make small talk with bek'kuh and glimac, talking about different places that I've been too, and greatly exaggerated claims of victories ive won until someone stops me or something interesting happens.

u-b
2019-03-20, 09:18 AM
Gashur is somewhat disappointed by Bek'kuh interest in the musician, as opposed to him, but decides he can live with that. "Don't like being ignored, gnome? Me neither. By the way, nice light show." Gashur considers leaving the dining room to wash himself and the clothing after three days of walking and a fight, but then notices two of the patrons betting on throwing pumpkins. He finds the idea funny and waits to see how it turns out. He does not try to place a bet.

Janwin
2019-03-20, 09:35 AM
Glimlac grins up at Gashur, "Don't get me wrong. Being ignored is great sometimes. Like if you want to tie someone's boot laces together. Mostly, I figured that if I provided a distraction, it'd give the human some time to pick his jaw up off the floor."

He glimpses back and forth between Bek'kuh and Aushtyn, and then comments with a wink to Gashur, "It might get ignored down there, after all."

He takes a sip of his beer, leans back in his seat, and continues to observe the strange human/half-orc/tall-folk mating ritual with a sort of scientific fascination. He gives a nod to the fellow spellcaster in the room, but lets him continue his meal in peace.

What probably takes everything for Bek'kuh and Aushtyn to a whole new level of awkwardness is when he pulls out a sheet of paper, an inkwell and an inkpen from his backpack and starts taking notes.

John Cribati
2019-03-20, 09:53 AM

She takes in Aushtyn's words with wonder. She couldn't believe that someone so well-traveled would even look twice at her.
"I wish I'd had the chance to travel like you had. Before this, I've only ever been to visit my sister tribe in the south, and they had a wizard Teleport us there!"

So I bumped Bek'kuh's age up from 19 to her early 20s. It was weird enough for her to be the only member keeping the party from being a sausage-fest, but that plus her being a literal teenager on top of her general naiveté wasn't sitting well with me

zlefin
2019-03-20, 02:17 PM
Jim smiles,

ahhh, looks delicious; thank you very much for being accomodating.
Jim pays the lad the 5 copper.
he then begins slowly eating his meal contentedly.

DrunkMongoose
2019-03-20, 04:56 PM

Baridal raised an eyebrow curiously at Elmo when the barmaid said his drinks were already paid for, and He also loudly joins in when Aareon toasted with the brandy. "Good Stuff. Warms the forge up proper."
Baridal says as he taps his belly. Baridal was caught a bit off guard when Aareon ask him to tell his version of the story, but he quickly recovered and gave a small smile.

"Well the tale you told Aareon aint all sandstone and shards, but some of your points are nae how I remember it. “

"Well first off, ya all know Goblins be like cave moss They are dirty, soft and slagging everywhere, and as luck had it we walked right into an ambush of the lil buggers. Ye should have seen it! From the shadows and bushes they poured out faster than a free keg of ale placed in a Dwarven tavern.
Now I know what’s ya thinking, so what. They just a bunch of Goblins, and Goblins are as useful as a mud fortress when it comes ta swinging steel proper, but dis was a wee bit different. These little buggers knew more than just which end was the pointy end, and they swarmed in on us like ants on spilled honey mead.

Now if we were some fool headed young lot trying to rub the first coat of weapon oil off our steel then I nae think I would be here to tell you this tale, but unfortunately for those goblins. I am Baridal of Clan Ironbeard, Cleric of Hanseath, and every lad and lass that I’m currently traveling with is seasoned and can handle their own better than most I know. Some better than others, but every one of them a thousand fold more worthy and skilled then any champion goblin they could throw at us. Oh and they tried, like a wave of small slashing Blades and snapping yellow jagged teeth they poured on to us.

lil buggers came in droves and fast, but with the grace of Hanseath’s Glory our blades moved faster, and were able to hold the goblins back.

At least enough time fer our finger wiggling gnome to make our full blood orc Gashur giant in size. Ya see goblins bravery only runs about as thick as an elven beard. You want to see what fear looks like? Well just show a goblin a ten foot tall orc warrior who was a hankering for beating goblins like a hammer on an anvil. Well a long story short…after that it nae lasted long."

After the story, Baridal then answers Elmo question of what they were doing there

"So after the fight we decided we needed to resupply and git a bit of rest after slaughtering the ambushing goblin raiders which brought us to your fair town. "
Baridal takes a pull from his mug and then gives a small smile to Elmo and his group of men "So you got yourself a brigands problem, do ya? You looking for some help with taking care of them? "

kinem
2019-03-20, 09:12 PM
Dancing wasn't so bad after all Arun decides but it's not something I can show off with, though.

Seeing people standing around talking, he heads over to where Glimlac, Bek'kuh, and a stranger are. "Hello. Good dancing. I'm Arun."

HumanTemplate
2019-03-21, 04:50 AM
Barridal and Aareon:

Elmo and the other militia men listen to the dwarf story with great amusement.

"Ye surely know how to tell a story." Says Elmo.

"Ye remind me of me brother Olie. He was an adveturer, and he knew how to tell a tale."

He raises his glass and stands up, taking advantage of a moment of silence in the music.

He offers a loud toast

"FER OLIE! BRAVE FOOL AND BETTER BROTHER"

The patrons grab their beers and drinks and toast back.

"Fer Olie, long lives his memory! For the lost, may they bless our prosperity!"

Elmo sits and the music continues.

"Yes." Elmo says. "There are some brigands who have settled in the marshes. They are using the old Moat House in the swamps. Rufus and Burne say it is not our problem, and they won't send the militia. But could take ye there, if ye are interested. We split anything we found"

John Cribati
2019-03-21, 06:35 AM

As Arun joins the conversation, her anxiety seems to melt away, and she slings an arm around his shoulder with a grin.
"He's from that sister tribe I think I said something about," she says
"We both got saddled with the "weird half-human teenager who can suddenly do magic' classification, but he does sword magic. I'm stuck playing the flute to be effective."

CNFish
2019-03-21, 09:06 AM
Aushtyn quickly toasts to the man in the room and turns his attention back to arun and the others.
ah sword magician eh? I've heard stories of the power you hold. But never seen them myself. he then turns his attention to bek'kuh however the power that interest me most is the power to inspire people with sound alone. he pulls up his guitar (lute.. whatever.) my instrument M'kayla, Holds such power. The sound she makes can inspire courage in battles where the outcome seems bleak. Inspire competence in those who are unsure of their skills. And in the hands of a master it can even fascinate a wild beast into submission. Or bend those of the strongest will to my suggestion. he strums a few chords here and there as he talks to add ambience to what he says

John Cribati
2019-03-21, 09:45 AM

"Huh. That's interesting. I can do much the same, actually. But the elders say my magic has 'echoes of the tradition of the nature speakers of old.'"

She shows off the flute hanging off a strap on her shoulder.

Ostensibly, it's a goat horn. A rather large one, about two feet long, with a near-circular curve.

Still, it has holes along its body that somewhat match those of a normal flute, and Bek'kuh's fingers thread among them as she starts playing in harmony with him.

Okay, I'm not sure you can actually get a functioning flute from a goat horn, but I'm going to go ahead and summon the "It's Fantasy!" Card inn face-up defense position .

Janwin
2019-03-21, 10:45 AM
As the bards are all apparently distracted with each others' instruments, Glimlac takes the opportunity to wander over to the lanky fellow scribbling in his book.

"Hey there, wizard. You seem a little out of place in a tavern like this." He gestures to the book that the man has been scribbling in. What's so interesting?"

CNFish
2019-03-21, 01:44 PM
wow, such a unique instrument for such a unique woman. Do you mind? he motions bek'kuh to join him in playing for the patrons of the bar.

[roll0] perform

*if she does decide to join, idk if the dm would accept this as an assist other type deal? For an added bonus to the modifier? So I just left it at my original modifier. If the DM allows it. Then just add on whatever the dm allows for.

HumanTemplate
2019-03-21, 05:10 PM
@Grimlac You approach the young man. He slams the book a bit nervously. But he gestures you to sit down with him.

"Amusing trick you did. I only know how to do some minor prestidigitation. Are you a guest? I hadn't seen you in the past days. I have been here for only a week.

What brings a wizard, I assume, to a place like this?"

Oh, it is only a book of alchemic formulas, I have the intention to establish here a shop. This is a growing community, conveniently protectec by the citadel and the viscount, but independent enough.

@Gashur You walk outside following the men. One of them seems elated at seeing a young boy bringing a cartwheel with some huge pumpkins.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cc/a7/c7/cca7c72f92bf0a70cc0d056ba7f0b59e.jpg

Then he addresses the rest:

"If anyone can throw a pumpkin farther than me boy can, he'll take this Platinium Coin."

"Interested?"

You also notice a large man, tall and old, but strong an with many scars who's sitting outside, smoking. He wears a beautifully crafted black chainshirt and the pommel of his sword indicates a blade of great quality.

http://orig14.deviantart.net/5682/f/2015/055/0/6/wizard_by_artofty-d8jbg3k.jpg

He simply observes.

Aushtyn.

It must be the nerves, but your performance this time is rather ordinary. The patrons, however, are still favourably impressed by the last one, and drunk enough not to care. Some throw some coin at your feet.

[roll]1d10[/]copper and [roll0] silver

kinem
2019-03-21, 05:59 PM
Sword magic? I know a few tricks, but not magic. I once saw a real sword magician … duskblade, I think they called him. Still, Arun doesn't contradict Bek'kuh, not wanting to embarrass anyone.

Arun claps and taps his feet as the musicians play.

"Wow, that music really made the time pass quickly."

u-b
2019-03-22, 09:15 AM
"What's the catch, huh? Pumpkin size difference? I can throw one of those, all right, just cannot afford to bet on it."

Gashur will participate in pumpkin-throwing only if it's not going to cost him. Otherwise, he'll watch.

John Cribati
2019-03-22, 10:19 AM

Aushtyn allows the lady to take the coin, winks at her. the chance to play with such a unique person is more than compensation enough, however it's getting late. And tommorow I need to find a way to make more coin haha. Adieu my lady.

"I had a wonderful time. I'll try to see you again if my party happens to be leaving tomorrow."

Before she can convince herself otherwise, she leans down (was she always taller than him?) and gives him a small peck on the cheek.

"Good night."

Jopustopin
2019-03-22, 11:16 AM

Aareon's face begins to redden as the liquor has it's effect on him (as it tends to do to elves). However with the toast for Olie, Aareon joins in the chorus and continues with the festivities past probably what is wise for the elf (although he definitely has a warrior's thirst).

Continuing the conversation he flashes Elmo a grin and extends his hand, "A'ight. We aim to route some bandits then. I hope you're free on the 'morrow. We can meet here and depart after breakfast."

Aareon finishes his drink, "Gonna have to bribe that gnome to cast his magic on me next time with these bandits. Can't let an orc show me up in one of Baridal's tales again. You'd think I was in the back firing arrows by his account. Well we got the troupe for this, 'ts not every day bandits be faced against true wizards and warriors of faith."

DrunkMongoose
2019-03-22, 11:08 PM
Baridal smiles and raises one of his mugs when Elmo toast his brother. He then proceeds to finish the little remaining mead he had in the mug as he listens to Elmo’s "50% of the loot offer" for the bandits in the swamp.

Baridal puts down the empty mug he had in his right hand, and begins to take a small chug from the full one he had in his left when he hears Aareon begin to speak and accept Elmo’s offer for helping with the bandits.

Baridal shoots the elf a small look of discontent as the elf agrees to Elmo’s offer so quickly without thinking of the others. The split second look of dissatisfaction ebbs away in a flash as the rosy cheeked cheerful stout tries to speak up before Aareon continues
"Well what me pointy eared friend here meant ta say was once we talk your offer over with our travel mates then we can meet ya here tomorrow after breakfast. Dats if they are fine with it. Now me and Aareon are more eager to join ya than a Banshee getting an invite ta a screaming contest, but we can nae speak for our other travel companions. Especially after ya said it be in the swamps.
I aint sure how they going feel about mucking it up in the marshy mud bogs for half the loot of whatever the bandits may or may NOT have. I mean we all know bandits aint real good with keeping coin. Dats why they continue to keep with robbing and killing fer a living."
Baridal strokes his beard in thought before he glances to his elven comrade
"I mean we gots a gnomer finger wiggler who I would bet me beard would nae want ta ruck through leg deep mud ta possible get nuttin. Shards and sandstone! hmmm... Dis convincing of our group may be as hard as trying ta forge weld two different alloys of metals together. “
After a fraction of moment he snaps his fingers as if he has an idea and his thoughtful expression is replaced with a small smile as if he is happy with his plan. He then leans in to Elmo and says quietly yet not in a secretive whisper way.
"Sometimes ta forge weld two different types of metals together ya have ta use a little flux ta help the merge along.
Elmo, I did notice you and your men drink for free on lord Rufus. Ya also mentioned you thought lord Rufus and Burne should help with da bandits. Well what if they did indirectly. It might go a longs way if I could mention ta me travel companions that they could drink for free any time we were here. Just like ye and your men. I mean technically we are just like your men, we be working for ya. Dat way, I can convince my travel mates dat even if the bandits aint got nothing we still get free drinks out of the deal, and they didn’t risk their lives for just some coppers. Dat way us three...” he motions with his mug in his hand to Elmo, Aareon, and himself.

"... get what we want and smash some bandits, and me travel companions also feel like they be gittin a proper deal for their skills and services. I think its proper deal. In fact, Let’s celebrate our union with a drink. As Hanseath preaches…Rejoice the battles of past yet Drink and enjoy in the battle mates of now, because the tales you make for future ears, may possibly never be heard by your own.”
Baridal then waves the waitresss over, and orders another rounds of shots, but this time says "Well a union and agreement between two groups of proper warriors deserves a proper drink" and he orders Brandy, Ursnt, aged special knowing that he will only have to pay for his own and Aareon’s.

When the music stops He realizes his foot was tapping along with it and whatever style it was he liked it. As he looked over to the source he was semi surprised to see that it was his travel mates playing the music. He then mumbled quietly to himself
"Well my father be a beardless treelover....I guess I like mixed Orcish music."

He buys Brandy, Ursnt, aged special (2x3gd= 6gd)
Baridal really does want to go and fight the bandits as he loves to battle and make new stories to tell, but he has travel with so many mercs and cut throats that he knows he should always find the best deal possible otherwise he might not always be able to convince his other companions to join his ideas, and really he hasnt had all that much experience traveling with this group (of mostly orcish bloodlines) so he doesnt know their true wants and goals. Plus is motivation is always geared to an opportunity to get free drinks and..well I dont think I have to explain more than that. FREE DRINKS.

HumanTemplate
2019-03-23, 03:16 AM
Gashur

The grizzled man outside does not take the eye away from you.

One of the patrons looks at you. "Alright, if you agree to be my champion, I'll fork the bet for you. Though Brannigan here knows I have no platinum, I can offer a cheese load worth a platinum. Nuff cheese for months. That if we lose, but I think your arms are better suited that this boys"

The patrons do not chip in the big bet, rather they bet on you. Except Brannigan, who bets on his son.

Brannigan answers your question.

"Nah, ye'll be throwing the same weight, 40pounds of pumpkin. Ya in?"

u-b
2019-03-23, 03:46 AM
"I'm in. Letting your wonder boy go first and I'll try to beat him." says Gashur still not quite sure what the catch is.

kinem
2019-03-23, 08:31 AM
After the show, Arun heads outside to see what’s going on there.

Jopustopin
2019-03-23, 10:17 AM

Aareon looks at his travel companions and just continues to speak his mind with no apparent regard for the deal making going on, "They barely even drank. Even Gashur."

When the brandy is set down in front of him Aareon briefly wears a face of caution, "Baelaes sia sai orol ei pas" he murmurs to himself with a grin. Then his face breaks with his characteristic smile and he takes his brandy.

Part of an elven saying, specifically a saying meant to teach caution to young elves. "Never try to outdrink a dwarf" is the line Aareon is referencing

When we're ready to advance the action, Aareon will let those he finds that we're going to take down some bandits in the morning and to meet back up in the common room for breakfast.

Aareon will not get a room if the weather is nice.

He takes off his armor and climbs up a tree (with all his gear), preferring to meditate for four hours in a natural setting befitting his sylvan elven heritage.

When he has meditated for four hours and everyone else is still sleeping, Aareon will practice his swordplay in a location that won't wake the longer sleeping races.

He is in the common room at breakfast but isn't geared up, his stuff behind him as he sits with breakfast already in front of him.

He pays 2sp for the elaborate breakfast.

Janwin
2019-03-23, 10:58 AM
@Grimlac You approach the young man. He slams the book a bit nervously. But he gestures you to sit down with him.

"Amusing trick you did. I only know how to do some minor prestidigitation. Are you a guest? I hadn't seen you in the past days. I have been here for only a week.

What brings a wizard, I assume, to a place like this?"

Oh, it is only a book of alchemic formulas, I have the intention to establish here a shop. This is a growing community, conveniently protectec by the citadel and the viscount, but independent enough.

Glimlac smiles, "Maybe a guest. Haven't gotten a room yet, so that's a good point...and I should! Just arrived, actually, and trying to get a lay of the land and see what's happening in these parts. As to what brings me here; adventure! Riches! Glory! You know, the usual boring things."

zlefin
2019-03-23, 03:42 PM
Jim:

Jim will get lodging for the night if there's a 2sp option (the low grade one), if not, available, he'll adjust based on the weather; if the weather is decent he'll just sleep outside, otherwise it'll depend on what lodging pricing is, and the prospects for getting to sleep in someone's barn for a small as an alternative.

Unless someone tries talking to him his plan is to sleep until morning then eat another cheap breakfast.

HumanTemplate
2019-03-23, 03:59 PM
Moving On

@Gashur

"Alright. He is in. Strong fellow. Boy. Go ahead"

The boy goes and picks two large pumpkins, he lets you weigh them, roughly the same. He picks the heaviest one and sets it apart. Then goes to the cartwheel and comes back with a rolled up blanket. He puts it on the ground, ceremoniously. He unfolds it and there's a weird contraption made of strings and leather, it looks like a big ass sling. He puts one end around his waist and places the pumkin in the other. He seems amused. He nods and to everyone amusement, starts spinning around, gathering momentum. He leans back and grabs the strings and just when it seems the pumpkin is going to pull him away, he deftly pulls a loop around his hand and the pumpkin is sent flying 30' feet away, a beautiful arc. And it crashes.

Branningan looks proud.

"To be honest stranger, maybe you can best his throw. But ain't my boy a smart un'?"

Strenght check DC 10 to throw it 10'. DC 15 to throw it 20' For every point you beat DC 15 the pumpkin flies 1'. You can try to use the sling, in which case you need to make a balance check of DC 10 and then a sleight of hand check DC 20 or fall face first as the pumpkin momentum drags you. If you succeed the pumpkin flies 30' +your str mod.

The grizzled man outside rises and gets inside the Inn.

@Arun

You are in time to see the show of the pumpkin throwing.

@Aaeron

Your elven grace does not mix well with the ale and wine. You walk outside to find a tree to sleep in. Your brain barel registers Gashur, picking up a large pumpkin.

You cross the road into a groove right in front of the inn.

It takes you a while to finally climb a nice fig tree. And you fall "asleep".

You wake up in the ground. And you see sandal wearing toes.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/88/6f/a4/886fa4bb89aee8047d9d1166e1f7b27f--lord-of-the-rings-the-lord.jpg

"Drunk elf... not a first, but always a funny sight. Get up again and do not eat any of my figs." he goes away to a small cabin in the groove.

@Barridal

Elmo agrees to pick you up in the morrow. He'll see what he can do about Rufus and Burne. But he doubts they are willing to participate.

@Grimlac

Adventures? OH! I'd love to join if you go to the Moat House. Let me know if you do.

The young man excuses himself. And goes upstairs.

Let's move the game forward.

John Cribati
2019-03-23, 05:04 PM

Well then. That was... fun, she guesses.

She leaves the inn, belly full and curiosity piqued, hoping she could see the man again tomorrow.

She finds Aaeron attempting to climb a tree, and sets up to sleep near it.

There's no roll to set up a tent, right? Anyway, if the weather is nice and there are two trees cloae enoigh to Aaeron, Bek'kuh will rig her tent (given its status as basically a large piece of canvas and a bunch of ropes) into a hammock to save time. Otherwise, she'll just set it up as a tent. At which point she'll go to sleep.

CNFish
2019-03-23, 06:20 PM
Aushtyn picked a room at the tavern and pays whatever was needed for a stay there. He comes down in the morning and eventually notices bek'kuh and the party. And inserts himself amongst the group.

aye, what's everyone gettin into then today? I haven't met you guys, my name is aushtyn and this is my trusty lute mkayla, he pulls out the lute if any of you have a lead on some stable coin I'd be much abliged. As much as I like to hang around a tavern and chat up the ladies he winks at bek'kuh a man has to pay his way in this world.

u-b
2019-03-24, 12:10 AM
"That was a smart move. I'll try to throw it the simple way, let's see..." Gashur takes the pumpkin, steps a bit back from the mark from which the throwing distance is measured, throws the pumpking a bit up a few times to get used to it's weight, screams "RAARGH!!!" and, with a short running start, throws the pumpkin.

He observes the result, breathing heavily. "That was not easy to beat, to be sure."

Throw pumpkin: [roll0] + [roll1] (one rage and one AP spent)

How much for the night in common room?

HumanTemplate
2019-03-24, 02:57 AM
@Gashur!

You hurl the pumpkin into the air, a perfect arch, and it breaks a few feet beyond the one the boy threw.

"wooow" the boy gasps sincerely "That was one heck of a throw mister".

Brannigan is also impressed and so is your sponsor.

"Heck, sir. That was mighty" He pays the debt merrily. "Beat me boy fairly. Drop by me farm one of these days and I'll give you a basket with some stuff."

He pays and leaves with the boy and the cartwheel. The boy keeps looking at you.

@Anyone sleeping outside.

The militia wakes you up and takes your name. You recognize one of Elmo's friends in the shift. Still, they give you a fair warning. No more sleeping outdoors. Only tonight.

However, the dawn comes with some chilly air. Anyone who does not have a blanket takes 1 point of nonlethal damage Constitution DC 15 to ignore it.

@The next morning, during breakfast, you meet the Inn owners. A couple in their 60's. Bread is nice and the butter is fresh.

Elmo comes shortly after.

"Want to make sure you were still interested. I'm on my way to the castle. Use your time for preparations. I'll try to talk some sense to Rufus.

u-b
2019-03-24, 04:50 AM
In the morning, Gashur has elaborate breakfast and confirms that he will participate in whatever sanctioned enterprise the majority of his companions are risking. He also asks whether those brigands have been counted or if there is anything else known about them, like tactics or equipment.

DrunkMongoose
2019-03-24, 09:34 AM

Baridal awakes after a good night of sermonizing Hanseath’s teachings by telling tales of battles and glory while consuming tasty libations. Baridal leaves his humble inn room and makes his way down to the common room. While he waits for the others, he orders a hearty breakfast and some type of sweet mead to wash it all down. As he eats and waits for the others, he answers and introduces himself to the bard he saw last evening

"Well met Aushtyn. I be Baridal of clan Ironbeard. Cleric of Hanseath.
Ye mentioned a chance for making some steady coin....well we might have an opportunity for that, but aint sure it gonna be the type of work ye would be interested in.

It going to be less about flutes and songs, and more about spilling sweat and blood. I'll wait ta explain more once da others get here, and ye can make your decision after."

Once the others come in, he explains and recaps for anyone who was unaware of the opportunity and offer that Elmo presented them. If no one objects to the bandits, then he ask if anyone needs any gear or equipment before Elmo arrives.

Breakfast elaborate (2sp) Mead, pint(1sp) Not sure how much a common room cost here.

CNFish
2019-03-24, 10:29 AM
Aushtyn chuckles a bit. iron beard? Looks more like hair... but ok..Haha, I'm so funny., but keeps the comments to himself as to not upset a stranger. ah, a tale as old as time itself. A group of brigands, and the heroes who ride... or walk? In to save the day. I know of a particular story... he begins to drone on about a tale of conquest of eager young adventurers who were doing small work as mercenaries and end up becoming knights for a king in the end. and the best part? The target was the kings brother! Haha. But yeah sure why not. I dont fancy myself a swordsman as he eyes aerun though I'm pretty good with a bow. And ofcourse m'kayla.

Janwin
2019-03-24, 11:23 AM
While eating breakfast, Glimlac comments to the group, "Might have another job. Some wizardly human in the Inn mentioned a Moat House, and wanting to join us if we go there.
Not sure why. Something about an adventure."

He shrugs. "Maybe another source for coin."

kinem
2019-03-24, 01:20 PM
Arun watches the pumpkin throwing contest. Neat trick ...

"Congrats, Gashur!" He claps, for this too was a good show.

Like Bek'kuh, he sleeps under the stars, using his bedroll for comfort just as the party has been doing on the journey so far. He frowns in the morning when informed that they may not do so in town. This place is expensive for sure ...

He orders a plain breakfast and greets the bard, and listens to the tales of work.

"I don't know what a Moat House is, but castles have moats, so maybe it's like that. Worth a look."

DrunkMongoose
2019-03-24, 03:15 PM

Baridal listens as Glimlac mentions the possibility of getting another source of coin from going to the same place. Baridal says with a smile as he finishes his breakfast.

" Great News, Seems like we be blessed on dis day. Like finding 2 veins of Ore with one swing of the pick. "

John Cribati
2019-03-24, 04:30 PM

Even being told off for sleeping outside couldn't put a damper on her mood. There was a spring in her step as she joined the others for breakfast, and while the news of a new task was serious, she couldn't get over how bubbly she felt going over the events of the night before. Even the rather boring meal of eggs and bread can't get her to calm down. She munches happily, only half-listening to the rundown of their next job.

And then Aushtyn sort of butts his way in and things get a little awkward.

She first offers him her the silver he'd let her have from the night before.

"You should have this. All i really did was back you up. I.. Used the coppers my breakfast, though."

Should she introduce him? If so, as what? They aren't friends, are they? He just thinks she's pretty and she... like that he thinks she's pretty.

She finishes her meal in silence and then spends her time awkwardly hovering between and among Aushtyn and the two other orcs.

Buy Simple Breakfast for 5 CP

Funds total:
47 GP
6 SP
2 CP

CNFish
2019-03-24, 06:02 PM
Aushtyn will take the money....rather begrudgingly. It's one of those things were he feels that If he doesnt he will insult her in some way. And yet his chivalrous nature is kicking him in the side for doing so. He will then order breakfast

so then these brigands.. where might they be,
And why is it they must be dealt with?

zlefin
2019-03-25, 03:14 PM
Jim

Jim will get up a bit late and then have the cheapest breakfast option.
He'll then talk to his fellow travelers to catch up on anything important/notable; as well as talking to anyone around the inn who's interested in talking to find out what's happening locally.
He'll also be listening for any temporary work opportunities.

when speaking to the other travelers:
Going after those bandits sounds like it could be a decent enough job; long as the law ok's it. A number of details on that I'd want to go over before agreeing to it though; finer details on terms of distribution, estimates of how tough the bandits are and such. We can go over that as we check in with the powers that be.

HumanTemplate
2019-03-27, 04:50 AM
While you are discussing this, the grizzled man who was smoking outside the inn last night is sitting at another table, silently listening to your conversation.

The young elegant man whom Grimlac talked to, walks downstairs, this time wearing some clothes more fitting to an adventure. He carries a mace with him. But when he sees you all gathered he hesitates and sits at another table instead.

One of the wenches, whom you didn't see yesterday, brings him some breakfast and the have some light chatter.

Elmo comes back, he looks upset.

"Burne and Rufus won't give us any aid. They say the Moat House should be left alone. They have asked me not to go there for some bandits who probably have moved elsewhere."

He asks for some fermented milk.

"But. You could go and find out if there's anything of concern. I can't go, I'm not really part of the militia, but I can't go directly against their orders either. However, if ye were to bring proofs of the bandits' continued presence, I would be able to push them into helping you.
There's no interest in that dammned Moat House to because of further trouble."

He then looks at Aereon and Bek'

"Jaroo told me you slept under the trees in his groove. He is mildly upset. Before leaving you should go there and explain yourselves. You know druids take that seriously."

Janwin
2019-03-27, 10:23 AM
Glimlac comments to his companions, "See that human over there?" He gestures to the young man. "He's the one who wants to go to the Moat House. Might be worth some coin. Looks wealthy enough."

zlefin
2019-03-27, 06:33 PM
Jim comments to Elmo:
Sorry mister, but I ain't going after bandits without the law's say so. Especially since there won't be any money coming out of a scouting mission. Also, your bosses are right; bandits move around a lot, and they are'nt so easy to catch or else they'd have been caught long since, and they keep an eye out for people coming to get them. It's not so easy to sneak up on them, and chasing people through a swamp is hard. They're bound to have some escape routes planned too.

upon hearing Glimlac
Well now, if there's coin in it I'm interested. Let's invite him over and see what he's got to say. Probably best if you invite him, since you're the one he talked to before.

CNFish
2019-03-27, 07:14 PM
Listening to the partys notions about trailing the bandits. bandits dont tend to runaway from an area they make good coin at. Though its mighty interesting the militia doesnt want to follow up leads.if it's as simple as a scouting mission what's one patrol? Yknow the best way to catch a bunch of thieves is a good trap.. irresistible bait.. we could, just hear me out. Have me and another person walk a road next to the moat. If they have a sentry it's likely that they will take the opportunity for some quick cash. I can buy some fancy clothes from a market and one of you chaps can parade around as my bodyguard with the others not far behind. Should we encounter them the sentries atleast that should be enough evidence they actually inhabit the place. And if we don't? Eh we get a good story to tell later around some mead!!

Jopustopin
2019-03-27, 07:27 PM

Aareon woke from his trance in the grove to the rude human. The elf hadn't replied, instead deciding to get started with his day. He trained in the early morning under the starlight for hours working up his appetite for breakfast.

As dawn approaches he moves inside the inn as the air starts to get pretty cold. He seats himself and waits for his allies to wake up making small talk with the inn owners. All of his armor is piled behind him neatly.

He eats his breakfast readily with a ravenous appetite drowning the food with water. He listens with interest as the group discussess possible places they could go to look for glory but remains quiet. Thinking instead.

As he listens to Elmo talk, the elf looks like he's going to say something about the moat house when Elmo shifts the conversation abruptly and openly towards Aareon. Aareon is clearly insulted with Elmo's tactless behavior and his eyes narrow a bit. "No I do not know that. Perhaps this type of discussion would best be done in private instead of across the breakfast table in front of everyone while I am a guest in your town", Aareon replied flatly. "I know many druids and they don't own plots of land nor do they take other elves being there seriously. In fact in my culture, druidic leadership is quiet common and meditating in nature is encouraged. Elves don't sleep sir. We enter a trance, and wood elves as you call us, prefer to do it... in the woods. You may tell your human druid of our differences but I have no need nor desire to explain myself to him. While I reside in your lands I will abide by your rules as I learn them."

John Cribati
2019-03-27, 07:46 PM

She winces at Aaeron's attitude.

"Well, druid or not, we were tresspassing on his land. I suppose we owe him an apology at least."

kinem
2019-03-27, 08:19 PM
Arun says "The moathouse sounded more interesting, but I like the idea of putting on a show to catch bandits. I can parade around as the bodyguard …"

He envisions ostentatiously peering behind every tree and rock looking for goblins to protect his 'boss' from.

DrunkMongoose
2019-03-27, 11:40 PM

Baridal finishes the last bit of his breakfast Mead as he listens as Jim protest checking the moat house for bandits if the local law doesn't want them too,Glimlac opportunity for coin, and Aushtyn idea for setting a trap.

Baridal is about to speak up when he paused long enough to catch Aareon's contumelious Elven rant toward the human druidic town's customs.
" Well Ain't he the bellows" Baridal says quietly to himself of Aareon before clearing his throat.
"Seems we got ta make a choice on what we doing next. The ideas all sound grand so far, but we ain't heard all.
There be an old dwarf saying which goes Make sure to see every Last of the Smith's works before you buy the first of your own. In others words, before we be setting bandit traps, getting bandit proof, or whatever we decide to do. We need ta hear all the choices and options we got.
Who knows, Hanseath willing we can make a plan that takes care of everyones wants and likes, and gets us the greatest bang for our hammer swing."

"Glimlac, ye mind talking with your finger wiggler pal ye just met, and getting all the details and important questions of the job he wants to pay us for. Like what he exactly he wants, the why, and how much pay? "

u-b
2019-03-28, 01:20 AM
As various topics are being discussed, Gashur repeatedly resists the temptation to cover his face with his palm. He does not otherwise participate in the discussion and lets it develop further without additional input from his part, instead making an order. "One mead, please." he says, putting one silver coin on the table.

Janwin
2019-03-28, 12:39 PM
Glimlac nods to the dwarf, "Sure. Let me go have a word with him. Looks like he's all ready to go already, so probably eager."

Glimlac then wanders over to the human wizard to discuss the details of his offer.

"So, you want to go to the Moat House. We might be. My companions have a few questions, largely around: why you want to go there, how much you'll pay us to take you there, and what you need or need us to do there."

HumanTemplate
2019-03-28, 03:33 PM
@All

Elmo cannot assure what you will find.
But he decides to tell you a story.

"Let's see. That Moat House has been a source of troubles for our Village since I was a little toddler and I helped Pops and Olie with the sheep."

His eyes get melancholic with the mention of his brother.

"It was built by the "nice" citizens of Nulb and the dwellers of the marshes and forests to the East. They did a nice job, solid stone and key position to control the roads to the forest. Why did they do it?"

He takes a long sip from the fermented milk.

"Well, they were trying to strengthen their position there. Build a hub to attack and rule the nearby areas. Prevent people from going into the forests where they practised horrible rituals of destruction. I was very young. But me brother Olie helped Rufus and Burne to organize a defense, and drive those monsters back to the deep forest they came from. Olie died there."

He prepares to go.

@Aereon
After you talk so rude

"Sir, we may look like a pleasant community, but we thrive because we stay together through battles that you can't even think of. We are no push-overs. And so far we have treated you nicely. Let's keep it that way. Jaroo, doesn't own the groove, but he expect people respect it."

@Jim:

Elmo looks at Jim, trying to remember him from last night

"Don't know who you are. But you don't look to fit for the work anyway"

@ALL

"If you have nothing else to say, I'll leave you alone."

@Grimlac

You approach the young man (Spugnoir).

"Sir, I don't really want to go with all of them. Too many people and I can assure you I'm not hiring, more like looking for someone who shares my interest in archeological places. As for my reasons, you have surely heard the stories about that place and its former denizens. Clerics of Zuggtmoy! with demonic intentions. As a historian, it fascinates me. Sadly, I can't pay you. And with those Brigands there, I wouldn't risk myself."

John Cribati
2019-03-28, 03:36 PM

"Well, I for one am going to be the bigger humanoid in this situation. Where will I find this Jaroo person?"

HumanTemplate
2019-03-28, 03:39 PM
Elmo points with his thumb over his shoulder as he finishes the last sip of fermented milk.

"Love this place's keffir, the best around. Jaroo lives in the small cottage inside the groove where you slept last night."

Janwin
2019-03-28, 03:46 PM
The gnome considers the humans words thoughtfully as he speaks, and then comments, "Nope. Sure haven't heard the stories about the place or its denizens."

At the mention of no pay, Glimlac puts on a saddened face, "Well, see, that's where you've got a couple problems, friend. See, you want to go to a place where people say a bunch of brigands live, but you don't want to go with all of my companions. That makes me wonder if you're either looking to get killed, or are up to something nefarious. That ends up with me wanting to go there -without- my companions even less.

Next, from what I know of my companions, I can guarantee that neither they nor I have any interest in working for free. Or protecting someone from brigands or the demonic intentions of the place's prior denizens for free. Something about a lot of risk and no reward not being really worthwhile. Historical discovery doesn't exactly fill bellies, after all.

So unless you reconsider, I guess you're on your own."

HumanTemplate
2019-03-28, 03:54 PM
Spugnoir looks at you, tries to say something, then stutters, then re-considers.

"Then I'm on my own. Please leave me like that sir."

He stands up and talks to the owners.

"I'll finish breakfast upstairs. If you don't mind having someone bring it to me."

The owner grins and nods.

Jopustopin
2019-03-28, 03:54 PM

Aareon replies curtly, "I have no idea what you are going on about Elmo. You put words in my mouth I never spoke nor thought. I will travel to this moat that has caused your people so much trouble and perhaps in the future if meditating in a grove is somehow a disrespect in your culture, I will stay outside your city walls. But I will tell you this, so that your next encounter with my kind goes more smoothly. Public chastising is reserved for children. Take me aside if I commit some cultural mistake. You were wildly disrespectful."

"Children. That's anyone younger than 50." Aareon says while looking at Elmo in an exaggerated fashion as if trying to guess his age and remind him that elves are much much longer lived and have much more experience about battles than he would expect.

HumanTemplate
2019-03-28, 04:04 PM
Elmo listens to your rant with an absent expression. Most of the time, one would think that he is slow of wit, sometimes his eyes shine with something deep, but most of the time he simply looks like a farm boy.

He listens though. And when you are done. He answers, with unexpected wisdom.

"The life of men is short and intense. We have no time to be children for that long, we must grow and value the brevity of it all. And our battles, while less epic and storied, are truer than your songs. Me brother, he was braver than any elf prince. He didn't fight for high ideals or for the recognition of the bards, he fought for a spot of land to call his own for a while, a fire to dry his bones in the winter, and a solid roof to give mom and pops a quiet end."

He then looks you straight in the eye.

"I apologize for my manners."

He turns to go away.

Janwin
2019-03-28, 04:05 PM
Glimlac goes back over to the table where everyone else is.

"Dry lead. He just wanted to learn some history, but didn't want to pay for our time."

Jopustopin
2019-03-28, 04:09 PM

Aareon waits for Elmo to leave and then he stands up. He doesn't look happy but he calmly and slowly grabs his gear and moves toward the door.

"Let's make this quick", he says to Rebecca and then proceeds to follow her to the Druid's grove, to apologize.

HumanTemplate
2019-03-28, 04:33 PM
@All inside the inn:

The place starts to fill with some of the late-sleeping guests.
Two men, one of rather a massive size sit together at a table. He looks at the wenches with some lascivious eyes.

A short half-elf sits at another table, nursing a hangover worse than Gashur's.

Two wenches help goodwife Gundigoot serve the breakfast.

One of them is particularly beautiful.

http://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1429422293064.jpg

@Gashur

Mrs Gundigoot, the inn owner, sees your plight and brings you a steaming bowl of some concoction.

"Ha. So big and strong, but cannot hold his drink. Just like my Ottis. This will make you feel better."

@Aereon and Bek'

You cross the road to the groove. With the sunlight, it becomes evident this is a place of worship and druidic traditions. The trees are well pruned and taken care of and the path takes you to a shrine to Obad Hai. Jaroo is there, talking with the birds.
He sees you coming. He doesn't seem upset.

"Master elf, and the young dancer. My pleasure.
I'm glad you decided to come in different terms."

Jopustopin
2019-03-28, 05:09 PM
Aareon

The elf smiles warmly at Jaroo. "Wanted to thank you for this grove you maintain. It is a beauty that you took some of nature and maintain it within the city walls. Naturally I was attracted to it."

Aareon looks at Rebecca and than back at Jaroo, "My name is Aareon, son of Jhaeros. Elmo told me that I have committed a mistake in your culture. I am here to apologize. My people consider ourselves the first elves and we rarely leave the deep forest of our homeland. It is unnatural for me to rest enclosed in a walled room and I forgot myself last night. For that I am sorry if I have disrespected this grove."

John Cribati
2019-03-28, 06:11 PM

Honestly? She'd expected a lot more attitude from the elf.

"I also apologize for tresspassing. I've been raised somewhat similarly and it's been quite a while since I've slept in a bed, much less a building."

DrunkMongoose
2019-03-28, 07:23 PM

Baridal stays calm when the tension between the human Elmo and the pointy ear Aareon rises up. He resists the urge to put a hand on his Great axe's handle which is leaning on the table next to him.
Once the tension subsides and Elmo leaves, He makes no comment and turns to Glimlac.
Baridal didnt hear the conversation the wizard and the orc had, so he goes directly off what Glimlac reported, and with a rosy cheeked appreciative smile says,

"Well some Ore has da opportunity ta be smithed into an axe, and some become bed pans. None da less, I grateful fer ya following through and asking. "

Baridal watches as some of the group stands to leave and he quietly says to them before they do.
"Before ye go...now that we got everything on da anvil, it looks like our best option be ta setting a trap near da Boat house. " He quickly looks around the table to observes if any one gives a instant look of disagreement or speaks up to oppose his plan. Although Baridal only gives a fraction of a moment before he continues to speak.
" Dat way Jimmy nae haf ta feel like a hot coal in his nickers fer disrespecting da local law, and we present da chance ta draw da bandits out.
If they take the bait, den we git a chance ta smash some bandits' skulls, a proper good tale to tell, and the prospect of aiding da town overall. Plus once da sticky finger buggers are dead, we get a wee bit of proof for Elmo ta take to his lords.
A fair fallhammer if I ever heard one! " He looks over to those about to leave

"After ya done speakin yer thoughts ta da tree hugger, we will meet ya at the edge of town that leads toward da moat house. I says an hour be enough time, aye? I suppose da goes fer anyone else dat has business ta attend to. Well see ya dare. "

CNFish
2019-03-28, 07:31 PM
At the sight of the beautiful maiden Aushtyn takes his leave from the party table and approaches her.

Oh, my sweet maiden! For a moment I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Now I see that I am very much alive, and heaven has been brought to me.

u-b
2019-03-29, 12:45 AM
"Thank you, Mrs Gundigoot." says Gashur and proceeds to taste the bowl's contents. It was unlike anything he has tasted before and indeed seemed to make him think clearer. "Before you go, Elmo, about this Moat House... where exactly it is and how does one get there? What are the chances of Nulb's continued connection to the Moat House? Where is this Nulb and how big of a city it is?"

zlefin
2019-03-29, 02:29 PM
Jim looks to Baridal

I ain't interested in that bait plan. Yer free to do it without me of course, we're just traveling companions after all. As to why I ain't, there's a few reasons: We don't have good info on how many bandits there might be, if there's more or they're tougher than we expect we could die. The bandits probably won't be carrying their loot with them, they'd have it stashed somewhere. But we are'nt too likely to find it; and I don't think we get to grab whatever's at the moat house if we aren't attacked too near it, it's only a guess that's their base after all. So that means the only loot we'd be getting is the gear on them, which isn't likely to be much value to be risking a life over. Also, if we come back with a coupla bodies and say they were bandits, how're the locals supposed to know whether they really were bandits? unless they're goblins of course. I been accused of things in the past, and I've seen the same happen to others. We're not local, the townsfolk don't know us. They got no reason to assume we're being honest rather than covering up being bandits ourselves. My concern for the law isn't just about respect for the law, it's about respect for the consequences. Lot less likely to get in trouble if a local is along to say what happened and the law ok'ed the plan. There's another practical matter: a full group is a bit big to be bait, and if only one or two people is bait, the rest gotta be far enough back or out of sight so it ain't obvious. We can't prove someone's a bandit til they do something aggressive, and at that point could we save the bait person in time? Most bandits stab and run pretty fast. Finally, the guy said I didn't look fit for this kind of work, and if he don't think I am, who am I to say he's wrong? He knows more about the situation than I do.

other general morning activity: Jim will be looking for work in town, or on somebody's farm.

kinem
2019-03-31, 02:51 PM
Arun facepalms when he sees Aushtyn approach the maiden. That guy chases every skirt ...

Listening to Jim, he nods. "Jim, I didn't think about it until now, but you have a point - the locals might misjudge our intentions. We should hold off until we have a better idea of how things work around here, as well as hear more tales about the bandits and what they are like.

I guess I'll look for other work. I mean, I want to see action and do dangerous things, but without too much actual chance of it working out badly instead of just being exciting.

The moat house though, I at least want to see it."

HumanTemplate
2019-04-02, 02:36 AM
Aereon and Bek

The man, whose age is impossible to discern, seems cordial in his rudeness.

"Oh, this grove is a shrine, a living one that someone like you might be able to value. This is an ancient land. The grove is way older than the town, from whence the area was a vast forest from the lake of unknown depths, to the western Flanaes. Some trees here are over a millenia old.

My name is Jaroo Ashstaff.

Tell me, what brings you two here? There are visitors coming here lately, spurred by the rumours of activity in that old, problematic Moat House.

Elmo tells me perhaps you want to help with that?"

He waits for an answer, but he is an impatient man.

"If it so. I'd be grateful.

You'll see, the politics in this village are a bit complicated, more than what they should for such a tiny hamlet. And both the Cannoness of St Cuthbert and the lords of the tower, opposse to people exploring the Moat House."

He looks at you, measuring you.

"But Elmo and I, we think differently. Even if I don't share his reasons. I agree that someone could be more vigilant. I contacted you, using the sleeping in the grove excuse, because you seem more likely to emphatize with an old druid like myself. Most of the people who have come to town recently, are cutthroats and swashbucklers who only see profit in the Moat House. Or others who seem to know a bit more of its history. Like the scholarly young fellow from the inn."

"Elmo an I, we are somehow tied. But I'd appreciate if you two could take a look at what's going on there."

@Jim and Arun

You spend part of the morning asking around town for things to do. People tell you that the harvest is still a couple of weeks. But old widow Thurgood (whom Arun recons was with the woman he danced last night) gives you some work. You spend part of the morning chopping wood for her and help her out prune the vine in her yard. She throws glances at the half-orc biceps.

You get 5silver and a good proper supper.

By mid afternoon back at the inn, you are approached by two of the other hosts. One is a massive human being, with rather brutish features, the other is a lean muscular man with many scars.

"Hey, mind if I sit?"

Says the lean man, sitting without even awaiting an answer.

"Hear you are looking for work. Well. I got something going on. I got some information on a spot where the brigands from that bluddy moat usually attack caravans and travelers. I was thinking of going there and capture some of them. Bringing them in and get some reward, either from the authorities here, or from the viscount of Verbonbonc.

Are you interested? The four of us could take them on, stealthily.

You know, quick, short, clean"

Grimlac, Barridal and Gashur. Elmo leaves before you can ask any questions.

However, later that morning, a militia man comes into the inn with a message from Elmo while the others are around town. He approaches the dwarf and says.

"Master Dwarf. Elmo would like to meet you at his parents house. First farm next to the road to Verbonbonc."

Elmo is cutting wood outside his parents farm. He greets you and cleaning himself he leads you to a small backyard under the shade of a vine. He offers you some fresh figs.

"Your group is rather large. I wanted to talk to you since you seemed the most intersted in this. The Moat House is located to the east. And the infamous town of Nulb is north east. I don't know if they are involved with the brigands, but I wouldn't be surprised.

You seem competent enough, and discrete enough.

Let's say I have explored the sorroundings of the Moat House. And that I know there are some bandits indeed living there,housed in one of the towers.

I really want to know what they are doing there. Me brother gave his life stopping the cultist of Zugtymov that settled there years ago. And I don't want any repeats."

He cleans his mouth and as his father hands him a sroll he says:

"If you are interested. I can show you something that might make the trip worth it"

Elmo is cutting wood outside his parents farm. He greets you and cleaning himself he leads you to a small backyard under the shade of a vine. He offers you some fresh figs.

"Your group is rather large. I wanted to talk to you since you seemed the most intersted in this. The Moat House is located to the east. And the infamous town of Nulb is north east. I don't know if they are involved with the brigands, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Let's say I have explored the sorroundings of the Moat House. And that I know there are some bandits indeed living there,housed in one of the towers.

I really want to know what they are doing there. Me brother gave his life stopping the cultist of Zugtymov that settled there years ago. And I don't want any repeats."

"If you are interested. I can show you something that might make the trip worth it"

As soon as you are by yourself. The grizzled man from last night approaches you.

"Not a place for such a strong warrior. Are you interested in some real work?"

If you don't go, tell me what do you do the rest of the day.

Aushtyn

The maiden blushes a bit but ignores you and goes upstairs with a basket of food.

A thugh looking half elf mockingly chukles at your efforts. He is sitting by himself at a small table and fiddling with some dice.

"You are really something. Last night with the orc lady, and now with the Goondigoots' daughter... be careful my friend. I have seen your type hung for messing with the wrong lady.

Sit. Tell me. Are you interested in gambling?"

u-b
2019-04-02, 04:40 AM
Gashur follows the invitation and confirms that he is potentially interested - that is, as long as there is a bunch of fellows to go there with him. He's not really into papers, though. He'll let Barridal and Glimlac handle that side of the case.

CNFish
2019-04-02, 08:11 AM
Aushtyn, a bit wounded from a failed line, does decide to sit with the man. He walls over to where the man is, grabs the back of the chair and leans over it. whoever's daughter she is, she is a magnificent creature I must say. glancing back at where the girl left. I dont fancy myself a gambler but I never pass up a good time. Whaddyahave in mind?

Janwin
2019-04-02, 11:12 AM
Glimlac also follows the invitation.

"I mean, you've certainly got me -curious- about what's out there..."

zlefin
2019-04-02, 01:16 PM
Jim

Jim thanks the old widow for the work and the generous pay.

as to the fellows who come up to them later in the tavern:
I am indeed looking for work. How big is the posted bounty? While four people is good for stealth, it's a bit thin for going after bandits, even with good info on them. By the way, I'm Jim, pleased to meetcha. So're you from here?

(also using sense motive at +5 to get a feel for if this guy is legit or up to something)

John Cribati
2019-04-02, 01:35 PM

She thought she'd heard people talking about a "boat house" earlier today. This isnclearly what she hadn't really been paying attention to. Well, if the rest of her party was considering seeing about this...

"I wouldn't be against seeong into the matter for you. If in return, you grant us permission to continue to rest here while our group is in the village. We promise to treat this land with the reverence it deserves."

She offers a small bow.

Diplomacy roll: [roll0]

HumanTemplate
2019-04-02, 01:48 PM
Jim.

The guy seems sleazy, but convincing.

"I think we could get some 30 of 50 gold for every live brigand. Perhaps 20 for a dead one. Of course, the dead are easier to transport.

If we set an ambush, the four of us can take on half a dozen of them."

Bek'

"Of course, that is a given. And I can share some of my expertise with you if you want."

DrunkMongoose
2019-04-02, 02:20 PM
I realize this first part is a little late in response, but IC Baridal would have said something so figured I would throw it in now.
Baridal Listens to Jim and Arun then briefly says

”I understand your concerns and such and ye aint wrong saying there be some risk, but all jobs that are worth taking come wid risk. If they don’t then what’s the point in taking them. That’s not an adventure. It’s just doing chores. I aint looking to fill my life with tales of chores. Guess, I need to mull this over a bit more. " The stout then gets up and leaves the Inn.

Baridal makes his way down the street until he runs into one of Elmo’s men. He accepts the offer and then makes his way to the farm near Verbonbonc to speak with Elmo.

As he makes his way on to the property, he smiles and gives a nod of greeting as he sees the tallin Elmo. Baridal politely turns down the figs, but listens intently to what the man has to say.

"I be interested, but aint real sure if all my travel companions be on da same anvil as me. Maybe ye have something that might change the stroke of the hammer. What ye got ta show me and what else can you tell me about these Cultist of Zutymov?"
Knowledge (Religion) Check for information about the cultist of Zugtymov:[roll0]

Janwin
2019-04-02, 02:32 PM
"I'm interested in this, Baridal. Seems like an interesting adventure! And if there's riches to be had, even better!"

zlefin
2019-04-02, 02:52 PM
Jim

Sounds more like a guess at what you'd earn than an actual posted bounty, which is it? Four seems a bit thin even with an ambush. I know others wouldn't be as good with stealth, but numbers make for a lot more safety, and we got quite a few folk here with some interest. I'd also wanna make sure we have someone from the town along as a witness. hmm, if the spot you think they ambushing folk at isn't too near the moathouse itself, then the authorities disinterest in investigating there could be worked around; as we wouldn't be going there after all, but to a different place. any idea how far from the mouthouse the ambush spot is?

HumanTemplate
2019-04-03, 04:11 AM
Jim

The sleazy guy looks at you and roll his eyes.

"Oh, so you think that that reward is not enough, and yet you want to bring more people along? Makes no sense for me..."

The big guy puts his face close to you.

"We strong, we smash those brigands"

The sleazy guy, pulls the brute's armor.

"Let's go, these guys are cozy adventurers"

Meanwhile, at Elmo's.

Elmo takes a parchment:

This is a letter from the Viscount of Verbobonc. I am his agent.

It reads:

By the present missive, his excellency, Ruanor Tarragath, Viscount of Verbobonc and the western Flannaes, recognizes Elmo of Hommlet as his agent in the Eastern limits of the county. And particularly, as the link in the free twon of Hommlet and its associated lands.

The signature and the seal seem authentic.

As such, I can offer you the viscount's appreciation and perhaps a reward, in the very least, you'll have his gratitude and mine. And I'm sure you are aware of the importance of the viscount's gratitude.

Zuggtmoy is a demon lord. An entitity made os fungi and spores which promotes decay and destruction. Her purpose was domination of all the living to feed her spawns and transform the world in a living endless supply of flesha and fod for her children, the fungi. How did she manage to convince a bunch of monstrous humanoids and humans that this was a good ide? That baffles you and many religious historians.

Janwin
2019-04-03, 09:26 AM
"Well then, I think that's the justification and authority we needed. I mean, I'm not sure what the tangible effect of his or your gratitude would be, but coin in the hand is a pretty good motivator, and I suspect it would be for other members of our adventuring troupe."

He glances over at the dwarf. "What do you think, Baridal? Want to go solve a mystery?"

CNFish
2019-04-03, 11:28 AM
OOC: sooo no gambling??

Aushtyn is in either case just ok with really going with whatever the party decides, hes just rather bored of all the talk and no action.

… So are we after the moat house? some brigands? or shall we continue to gamble the days away, while waiting for the perfect damsel in distress to come along? honestly I say lets just check out this moat house.. if anything itll be a good time waster, and if its abandoned then we can maybe scrounge around some knick knacks that may be suitable for some gold ya?..

Aushtyn isn't going to wait for a response. he has spent most of the day and night in the Inn, and while he likes to laze around with beautiful women, he wants to be productive in some sense. he exits the inn, he will head to the market in looking for some supplies.

Supplies needed:
Inkpen (have a journal... but no way to record anything...)
Crowbar
and a map of the area.

Just let me know what all these will cost me..

DrunkMongoose
2019-04-03, 12:23 PM
While Glimlac speaks about their new found justification and authority Baridal looks Elmo's document over closely.

”Aye, Bandits robbing folks be bad enough, but hearing dat some foolheaded lot be praying to a flesh-eating-shroom maker Demon Curls me beard just thinking about it. "

He then turns toward Glimlac and Gashur and answers Glimlac's question.

”Bandits, Demon loving fools, a chance ta help da town out, and make a wee bit of coin….Well If those aint the proper materials used ta forge an adventurous tale of Glory and greatness then nothing is. "

Janwin
2019-04-03, 12:58 PM
Glimlac translates for Elmo, "Sounds like we're in."

kinem
2019-04-03, 10:12 PM
"Well then, I'm in. Dangerous work, but hopefully worth it" Arun says.

John Cribati
2019-04-04, 04:18 AM

"Then, I guess there isn't much left to say. At least on my end. Can't say as much for him," She nudges Aaeron with no small amount of mirth, "but he can speak for himself."

u-b
2019-04-04, 08:24 AM
"Yeah, we're in." confirms Gashur still not quite sure about the contents of the paper, but willing to bet that Baridal and Glimlac either know what they are doing or at least won't blame it on Gashur. "So we go east and see that moat house? Would be hard to miss, right? How far from the village? Should we go, like, at night or something?"

Janwin
2019-04-04, 10:50 AM
Glimlac asks Elmo, "How many bandits do you think are at the Moat House based on your exploration and observation?"

Jopustopin
2019-04-04, 03:53 PM
Aareon

The elf seems to take a minute thinking on what the druid has said when nudged he makes a non-verbal motion (and it's hard to tell what it means).

"Jaroo, It is true that we're not interested in profit. It is also true what Elmo said. We are already planning on going to the Moat House to route any bandits we may find. I find the politics of the humans here very perplexing and confusing." Aareon looks up as if thinking.

"There was no need for a ruse to get me to speak with you. You may call me friend and I appreciate your offer for rest in your groove. But... what concerns are there for you that is different from Elmo's? Something other than bandits?" Aareon says somewhat stiltedly.

kinem
2019-04-04, 06:47 PM
After a refreshing beer, Arun leaves the inn to find some of his companions and/or more jobs.

HumanTemplate
2019-04-05, 04:36 PM
Elmo tells you that he believes the number to be in the dozen. Although there are probably other denizens there. Vermin and critters from the woods.

The moat-house is in ruins, but still has most of the walls and it is a great defensive position in any case. And there used to be an underground level, but It has probably collapsed by now."

Elmo, suggest that you leave soon, as the trip will take you almost an entire day.

"One more thing. I trust you'll be discrete with the parchment. Do not let many people know. Some of your associates seem to be more interested in gold or women."

Jaroo looks at Aereon:

"Well, master Elf. I needed a rouse because there are many ears in town. Particularly since the news of the brigands reached Verbobonc and people are starting to pour in to town.

As for the different interest Elmo and I have on the Moat House, well. I suspect Elmo has more personal reasons than me. His brother Olie died there.

Please. Any information you bring back will be appreciated."

Jopustopin
2019-04-06, 10:13 PM

Aareon nods before departing and says, "You'll hear from me soon."

Aareon departs and moves towards the edge of town where Baridal Ironbeard had told him to meet up with him. Once there he begins donning all of his armor taking the time to make sure everything is strapped into place correctly. It's not a perfect fit for the elf, seemingly built for a human, so Aareon spends extra time making sure everything is right.

"I'm ready, how about you?" Aareon asks of Bek'kuh while they wait for Baridal and the rest.

John Cribati
2019-04-07, 04:18 AM

"Ready as I'll ever be.' She obly has the barest of an idea why the Moat House was so important, and it was frankly too late to ask questions without looking the fool."Are you ready to take three orcs on a stealth mission?."

Jopustopin
2019-04-07, 09:01 AM

Aareon adjusts his splint mail and smirks, "Do I strike you as the stealthing type?"

John Cribati
2019-04-07, 12:39 PM

"Well, not dressed like that, I'm at least assuming we start with reconnaissance, since you don't look like the 'kick in the door to a lair with an unknown but likely large number of potential enemies' type, either.

Jopustopin
2019-04-07, 07:47 PM

Aareon stares at the mongrel a little bit with an unreadable face before responding, "You know I often find that any mistakes I commit through audacity are easily corrected... with more audacity."

The elf grins a bit and then spits on the ground, "Bandits are usually easily spoked by magic. It's pretty impressive that we have a gods true cleric and wizard travelling with us. I think it'll be a rout and we'll be back before sunset. Hopefully one of em' has my bow."

DrunkMongoose
2019-04-08, 09:17 PM

After the trio are done speaking with Elmo, Baridal makes his way to the edge of town where he said he would meet the others. He makes sure to find a location that is far enough away that no passing commoner folk could hear them speak with any certain detail.

He waits until all are there or he is sure no others are showing up before he begins to speak
”Its been an interesting day so far, and we may wish ta re-discuss our plans for making a bandit trap. aye, It might still work, but it also be mighty risky.
Now, I be thinking that we should travel first and create a better plan once we get a bit closer. Perhaps after a small bit of proper scouting. "
He takes a moment to stroke his beard in thought before continuing to speak

”I be sure yer asking why I be changing my mind from this morning...well we..." motions to Glimlac and Gashur ”...learned plenty while wandering about town. One of the many things we learned is that the numbers of those sticky finger buggers be a few dozen, but they aint the only things we need’n to be worrying about since the woods are loaded with various sized pest, vermin, and other skittering foul types. "
Also da moat house, it said ta be real galakkur1 in condition due to time’n weather, yet is still suppose ta have most of it’s walls which could be a real problem for us if doze thieves decide to use it as a defensive position.
Another thing, We should also be keepin an eye out for any ways down below since there used to be an underground level to da house. Most be say’n it collapsed by now, but none da less we should keep our eyes sharper then an umber hulk’s claws. "

Gives a small smile as he recalls the conversation earlier when some of the group members had issue with them going to the moat house due to a lack of local authority and support.

"Also for anyone think ‘n we might be defying da local law…well we came across someone today that has higher authority then any these local folks we met so far and we have their approval. They even said they would give us a reward if we looked into the moat house. Now, I looked close and checked over their shown documents that had a proper seal and it all seemed like pure gold ore ta me. I can nae say Her name since she asked us ta keep it to ourselves, but If ya nae believe me just ask Glimlac and Gashur. They was there as well, and saw the same."

Baridal Takes a small pause, and tries to measure the reaction of the group so far.
"One last thing, so today while we mined some proper nuggets of information we also learned that those so called bandits of the moat-house might be a grand mardarl2. Seems there be a chance that these common robbers might really just be a cover for a foolheaded cluster that be praying to a flesh-eating-shroom maker Demon named Zuggtmov. "Baridal spits on the ground after saying the demons name.

"Well you know almost as much I do as this point, so what ye all be thinking? I realize it be mighty dangerous, but anything worth doing be dangerous.
Just ta recap all of it. We being talking about aiding a town, gaining favor with high local authority figures, earning a reward, smashing some foul lot of demon lovers, and By Hanseath will, one heck of an tale ta be told for the ages."

(Taken from Dwarves Deep 2nd ed Book by Ed Greenwood- but figured if its a Gary Gygax adventure these probably still hold true for Dwarven phrases)

1Galakkur -- applied to anything messy, untidy, or sloppy. It's derived from the name of a legendary dwarf who did everything fast but in slapdash manner, heedless of even obvious consequences. The real Galakkur lived some eight centuries ago. Tavern-tales give him various, improbably sticky ends. His misdeeds have been greatly exaggerated since by the addition of many invented tales of his life and doings.

2Mardarl -- an effort to hide something, either physically or by withholding information (or twisting a conversation onto another topic, right now). An example would be a false name, particularly when used to conceal gender (for instance, a female dwarf using a name such as Brokh or Garlfang to make non-dwarves think they're dealing with a male).

HumanTemplate
2019-04-09, 08:02 AM
Aushtyn:

You wander off to town. First you take the path north, towards the recently built building that will host Hommlet hall. The building is empty, the wooden beams look clear and smell of recently treated and chopped. There are still ropes tied to the beams and structure. But nobody is there.

Then you move to a large complex that host a building and some storage. A pair of sturdy pack mules eat outside. There are other animals in a barn behind the main building, and , lined up the western wall, you see saddles and mule packs for sale.

The building is enterily made of wood and the many windows are shut with heavy wooden shutters. There's a sign with a cheese and a sword, and a name in tacky golden letters: Davl's and Gremag's.

The door is open and the place is lit by many oil lamps. A large tall man dressed with a leather apron is leaning over the counter, taking some notes on what appears to be an accounting book. He speaks with a voice that comes from behind the counter, where many shelves of items line up.

"Do we still have shovels and axes, Gremag?"

A hissing guttural voice answers:

"Yesss, there'ss about a dozen new axes for these sucker farmerss to break"

Davl looks at you. He smiles deliberately and slowly:

"How can I help you sir? We got everything for the farmer or the adventurer"

I'll get the Moat House-Woods introduction tonight.

Janwin
2019-04-09, 08:48 AM
Glimlac replies to Baridal, "You know I'm in. You list a number of good reasons why we should be. Best to scout it out if at all possible so we know what we're up against, obviously. I can volunteer for that."

zlefin
2019-04-09, 09:09 AM
Jim
(unless OOC thread notes result in a change)

Jim will look for work like yesterday, and also generally listen to what's happening around town to hear whatever the local news is, basically if people wanna talk about anything local, he'll listen for a bit in between looking for work. If he finds work, he'll take it.

(gather info skill is +4, but not spending any money on it, whatever the penalty for that is, I'm fine with taking 10 on the roll but whichever way you prefer if you'd rather roll).

CNFish
2019-04-09, 09:33 AM
Aushtyn walks into the store, not being one to waste time he cuts straight to the chase.
yes, I'm looking for a few supplies, namely a pen crowbar, and a map of the region if you have them?

While aushtyn waits for his response he will search over the general items and prices to see if anything jump outs at him. I'll take 10 with a +5.

Once the supplies are on the table aushtyn is going to try and pry some information out of the clerk about these supplies for farmers.

so business is good then with the local farmers eh? hes looking for a confirmation that hes being a shady business man. But before he presses further he will make sure to pay for the supplies he wanted first. After which he will continue talking you know, it be a shame should the... I dont know.. the guards find out about your business.. aushtyn likes quality over quantity, and business practice like this makes his stomach turn.

John Cribati
2019-04-09, 02:13 PM

Okay. The mushroom demon cult thing was... new. And not exactly the kind of nonsense she expected to be dealing with so early on in her... did this count as a career?

"Well, first order of business is figuring out who's doing what. Glimlac, how does Dolliz feel about being our spy?"

Dolliz does just look like a regular cat, right? Not out of the ordinary in any way?

Janwin
2019-04-09, 03:35 PM
Yup. Just a regular tuxedo cat.

The gnome shrugs. "I mean, I could probably get her to take a look for us. Getting viable information from a cat, however, might prove difficult. Like how many guards there are, where they're standing, what their patrols are, and the like."

Dolliz wanders over to Bek'kuh and starts doing figure-8s around her legs.

"I'm fairly certain that I can do the scouting we need. Honestly, Dolliz is only a little better at being unseen than I am.
Illusionist and whatnot."

He wiggles his fingers in what could be presumed to be a mystical, magical manner. It's the type of finger wiggle that usually comes with an "oogily boogily".

John Cribati
2019-04-09, 04:08 PM

She reaches down to scratch at Dolliz's head.

"I guess I misunderstood the specifics of your mental connection with her."

If she sounds a bit more wordy than usual, it's because she's picking her words very carefully. Because breaking down and squealing "KITTY" at the top of her lungs would be unprofessional. And probably scare the cat away.

Jopustopin
2019-04-09, 06:02 PM
Aareon

The elf listened with some difficulty at what the dwarf was saying but he did seem to occasionally look at Bek'kuh, each time with an almost comical look of excitement and exclamation before turning back to the dwarf (again each time) with a serious face.

"Sounds like a much more interesting story than we had this morning. Thought this was going to be a somewhat boring rout of a group of bandits. I agree with Baridal on all accounts. We have wasted enough daylight in the city. Let's discuss our plan while we move out." Aareon says.

Aareon will set the pace for the party, taking the front position. He has his shield stowed currently and his longsword sheathed, but he does carry his sling.

kinem
2019-04-09, 06:14 PM
Arun is eager for action but a bit worried that the group could be outnumbered.

"Until the scouting is done, what more planning should we do?"

Janwin
2019-04-10, 02:52 PM
Glimlac follows the elf as he heads out of town.

"Don't think there's really much preparation to be done until we scout the place, honestly. No gear to buy and no point in formulating any strategy until we know where the pieces are."

HumanTemplate
2019-04-12, 06:08 AM
Aushtyn:

The large merchant looks at you. If he understand your insinuation, he simply ignores it.

Busines is good. A thriving community here. Been doing well for almost two years now. What do you want the map for?

The shop is well supplied, a bit more expensive than in a large town, but everything that you'll need, they have on stock.

There's almost everything under normal materials and gear in the SRD at a premium of 20%. There are no alchemical items or special materials and there are practically no weapons, except a few battleaxes. The axes (the wood chopping variety, seem of good quality. Nothing shady, that you can spot right away.

If they have items of a higher quality, they are not on display

As you speak, the owner of the hissing voice appears with a block of notes where he scribbles with a piece of coal.

He is tall an thin.

He looks at you with his large, protuding eyes. He wears a high-quality leather armour, and has a large knife sheathed on a nicely crafted scarab.

Who issss thissss? What nonesense is he talking?

Diplomacy at -5 or Intimidate, I don't know what you wanted to do.

CHAPTER 2: THE MOATHOUSE

All of you who have decided to explore the Moathouse set yourselves on your way. As you march, the road becomes harder and harder. The forest sorrounding the path is denser and denser and the path is overgrowth with roots and grass. It is obvious that not many venture in this direction.

Elmo and Jaroo told you that it will take you a good portion of the day to get there. And on foot, even longer. The trees are low and wicked, dense canopy and low branches that make the road even more difficult. The path, however unused, is pretty straight forward. It crosses an old rudimentary stone bridge, probably used eons ago, and then follows a thin stream north west.

The weather becomes hotter and more humid as you approach the Moat House. the stream becomes more and more stagnant until the water is almost still semi floods portions of the path. Tiny insects and mosquitoes fly in dense clouds and the temperature seems to go a few degrees higher.

Wicked trees grow from the ponds, sprouting roots everywhere.

Here and there you listen splashes in the water. This section of the road is confusing. The path is almost lost in the marshes.

Survival check DC 15 to find the path again. Two rolls are needed. And spot and listen checks.

John Cribati
2019-04-12, 07:32 AM

My Earth, my Earth, why hast thou forsaken me?

The expedition had started out well enough- she'd gotten to hold a kitty while they walked, after all. But then Dolliz returned to her wizard's shoulder and in return Bek'kuh had to deal with... Bugs.

Now, Bek'kuh had dealt with her fair share of parasites, and found that the oils she used to keep ticks and fleas off her goats usually worked to keep other, similar bugs away. These nosquitoes didn't seem to get that particular memo. What's worse, she'd had to remove her more conservative top in the heat, giving the pests that much more real estate to invade (she was tempted to go completely bare-chested but didn't want to risk making things awkward for the men- they should at least be mature enough to deal with a visible bellybutton, though). Still, she'd been devoting more energy to slapping bugs away and reminding herself not to scratch at the bites than actually paying attention to where she was going, aside from remaining in the middle of the formation.

u-b
2019-04-12, 09:24 AM
Gashur follows the road, such as it is, mostly ignoring the insects and the weather. During the heat of the day, he is somewhat dazzled by the bright light, but as the evening nears his vision seems to return to normal. He has no idea which way to go next, but is sure somebody'll figure it out.

Survival: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]
Perception: [roll2]

Janwin
2019-04-12, 02:18 PM
Glimlac just makes sure he keeps up with the rest of the group, not really doing much to pay attention to where they're going or where the path is. His attention is pretty clearly consumed with not stepping into a flooded area that's deeper than he is tall.

Dolliz occasionally lets out a meow of displeasure from his shoulder, but otherwise seems to be taking the environment pretty well...for a housecat.

Even though he's not really concerned with where the pointman is headed, he does keep his eyes out, cautiously observing the marsh every time there's a splash or distant sound.

Jopustopin
2019-04-12, 03:11 PM
Aareon

With the assistance of Arun, Aareon keeps the party on the trail. However his focus seems to be on setting the correct path and not so much as the looking around and remaining alert to threats.

With the "aid another" action from Arun, Aareon got a 19 and 15 for his two survival checks.

His Perception is a 11.

HumanTemplate
2019-04-12, 03:46 PM
Map for this encounter will be ready tomorrow (I lost access to my mock gmail account) This is the map, but as an image. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/41/9e/4f/419e4f34a6a445af58ec40a6f30bdf54.png

Aaeron takes the party through the marsh.

As you are going through an island in the marsh, some of you hear a loud splash. The party stops, warned by those with better senses.

Tense silence ensues as you try to elucidate what's going on.

Then, about twelve seconds after the noise, Glimlac shouts

"There's a shadow in the water"

As a creature half emerges from the water close to the fallen wooden beams.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/14/f4/6914f41124ebd13e608324b56cac895a.jpg

Attacking an unsuspecting Aaeron as he was leading the expedition.

The beast lashes a lighting speed tongue from some 10' away.

[roll0] Vs touch and [roll1] grapple. If successful, Aeron takes Bite damage [roll2] and is dragged inside the giant frog's mouth. WHERE HE CAN ACT. the frog can only swallow whole smaller creatures.

Only Glimlac has the chance to react on time.

Initiative everybody.

Glimlac and the Frog act in the surprise round, however you have 1 round to prepare "blindly" after the loud splash.

Janwin. If glimlac rolls higher than 17, feel free to post your action

Arcana or Nature

DC10 This is a giant frog, it is an intelligent magical beast the size of a large human. They attack swiftly and can swallow any small-sized creature in seconds!

Jopustopin
2019-04-12, 04:10 PM
Aareon

Aareon heard the splash and raised up a fist to stop the party.
He quickly loaded his sling and then pulled out his longsword to be ready for any threat, ranged or in melee. For a bit he heard nothing until Glimlac shouted the creature's location.

"Under the wat...", the elf began to say with confusion when the frog's tongue wrapped around his torso.

The elf has this moment where he looks at it and you hear him start to curse in elvish before being yanked off his feet, "Rhaichaahhhh!"

You watch as he slams into the Frog's mouth and getting bit hard, his helmet about the only thing saving his life as it's dented in pretty badly. Blood splashes out to those nearby and the entire time you can hear the elf swearing and cursing in elvish and he fights to free himself from it's maw, "Amin delotha lle! Antolle! Ôl lle naa haran!" Aareon continues to curse in elven the entire time he's grappled.

Opposed Grapple: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

Before I take my first action, two maneuvers are granted to me:
[roll2] and [roll3]. Stone Bones and Charging Minotaur.

Assuming no one acts before the frog on the surprise round and interferes with the results (creature dying, magical aid to grapple checks, etc.), Aareon gets dragged into the creature's mouth and takes a bite.

Aareon would have 8/12 hit points remaining with 5 points of damage in his delayed damage pool at the end of the surprise round.

"Rhaicha" is the droppings of a centuar.
The rest of his statements...well they are brief statements that seem to be describing physiologically and anatomical impossible positions the frog would have to get himself into in order to accomplish the act of reproducing with itself.

CNFish
2019-04-12, 06:20 PM
Aushtyn looks at man and attempts to reason with him. Dip roll [roll0]

Honestly... Not sure what I'm trying to do either... I was a little out of it when I wrote that. Had a head cold and what knot.

In any manner though.

sorry, I must not be thinking straight to day, Gday gents

Aushtyn will leave with the place with his supplies (I haven't docked them from my sheet yet, but I will.) and begin looking for his companions, since they won't be around when he gets done he thinks the intelligent idea is that the party moved on to the moat house without him. shame he thinks to himself. he then pulls out the map and begins combing over it. He may not have left with the party but, being fashionably late is more his style anyways. That is assuming the most house is marked on the map somewhere. If not and he has no reasonable way to rejoin the party. He will look for work like Jim and meet up with them later.

Janwin
2019-04-12, 09:43 PM
Glimlac glances at the frog that's currently trying its best to eat the elf, and frowns. "Not much I can do while he's held! Kill him!"

He gets his crossbow ready and loads a bolt, waiting for the frog to let go.

DrunkMongoose
2019-04-12, 10:49 PM

As the chaos breaks out, Baridal tries to take in the entire moment as he scans across the deep water, the frog, the log next to it, and the Elven blood oozing from the frogs mouth as the dirty mouth elf rants in anger as he is trapped in the maw of the frog.
He briefly contemplates if he should charge in to attack or try to save the elf.

He finally calls out.
”Hang in there Aareon! Going heal ye up and turn this Frog into mush. "

SURPRISE ACTION Delay my initiative count so acts first in round 1.

FULL ROUND
StandardCast Cure Light Wounds [roll0]
Move Move up to Aareon and touch him

HumanTemplate
2019-04-13, 01:51 AM
Glimlac glances at the frog that's currently trying its best to eat the elf, and frowns. "Not much I can do while he's held! Kill him!"

He gets his crossbow ready and loads a bolt, waiting for the frog to let go.

When the Gnome Illusionist forgets to prepare Color Spray

Barridal moves across the marsh and touches a panicked Aeron.

John Cribati
2019-04-13, 03:02 AM

As soon as Glimlac shouts his warning, she whips off one of her slings (you could never have too many slings). She'd foolishly put her puch of bullets into her bag and never strapped it to her waist, and it's while she's digging it out that Aaeron gets snatched. She says a few choice words in Orcish, and then a couple in Dwarven, but the quickly switches from berating her own foolishness into action mode, whirling her sling as she waits for an opening.

Ready Action: Attack the frog once Aaeron and Baridal are out of the line of fire.

kinem
2019-04-13, 10:36 AM
Arun (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1849334) rushes toward the elf-eating frog while drawing his greatsword.

"Shiav! Jiak'll drepa iav!" Arun conveys in Orcish a bodily waste product and his intent to end the frog.

As he swings his sword in a two handed grip, he positions himself for defense and to let the others help.

Initiate Leading the Attack: If his attack hits, his allies gain +4 to attack the frog for 1 round.

Attack [roll0], damage [roll1]

Stance of Clarity: +2 AC vs the frog (AC 18), -2 AC vs any other foes

HumanTemplate
2019-04-13, 03:27 PM
Arun dashes forward, leaping over some ponds, a curious sight as there ever was, an orcish warrior saving an elf's life.

The greatsword flashes in an overhead arc, bitting hard on the frog's slippery flesh.

The beast huge pupils reflect the fear as a deep dark gash across the creature's right flank starts to shine with red blood.

The sword almost severs the front leg of the creature, who immediately spits Aereon from its mouth with a mournful croack akin to a plea, tries to jump back into the water.

Baridal, Aeron and Arun

DrunkMongoose
2019-04-13, 04:08 PM

Baridal sees the fear in the frogs eyes and as it moves to retreats he takes advantage of the creatures fear, and swings his Great Axe.

EDIT: I forget to include leading the attack, +4 attack bonus
Attack of Opportunity
Great Axe Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
If needed
Confirm Crit: [roll2]
Extra Crit Damage: [roll3]

Jopustopin
2019-04-13, 04:39 PM
Aareon

I'm assuming that the frog doesn't have some way of escaping the grapple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#escapefromGrapple) without making the opposed grapple check. On the Frog's turn when he uses his standard action to get out of the grapple with Aareon, Aareon opposes.

Opposed Grapple: [roll0]

On Aareon's turn if he's still grappling the frog he'll attempt to pin the frog (preferably with his own tongue). Grapple: [roll1].

If they are not grappling Aareon will drop his sling, enter martial spirit stance, and use Stone Bones, [roll2] for [roll3] and heal himself for 2 points of damage.

kinem
2019-04-13, 06:17 PM
Arun takes the opportunity to try to finish off the frog before it slips back into the water.

I’m not sure if Arun’s AOO benefits from his own Leading the Attack; if so add +4.

Attack [roll0], damage [roll1]

HumanTemplate
2019-04-14, 07:41 AM
The frog's tongue is too slippery and quick for Aereon to pin. But Baridal, inspired by the half-orc valiant charge, manages to slash the creature's jaw as it released Aereon making the frog fall backwards into the water, where it attempts to swim away, leaving a notorious trail of blood and gore behind.

Arun, trying to deal the killing blow, swings his sword millimetres over Baridal's helmet and loses hold of the sword grip. The blade arcs elegantly through the air and falls in the marsh.

u-b
2019-04-14, 08:01 AM
"Awesome!" Exclaims Gashur after he sees the whole action start, continue and end before his eyes. He draws a javelin and stands ready to throw it at any sufficiently large frog appearing on the surface while Arun fishes his sword.

Perception: [roll0]
Ready javelin: [roll1] for [roll2]

kinem
2019-04-14, 08:27 AM
Arun immediately reaches (or dives) into the marsh to retrieve his sword.

Jopustopin
2019-04-14, 12:01 PM
Aareon lands in the marsh and sits there breathing hard for a bit. Then he gets to his feet and struggles to pull off his dented helmet. He has healed up teeth marks on his face and a big, but mostly healed up, bruise on his face. He doesn't look terribly happy.

He pours out the water in his longsword sheath before putting his longsword away and gets out of the wet marsh and onto dry land before sitting on the ground and dumping out the water from his boots. He then takes the helm and eyeballs it a bit before pulling on the open visor to stretch the metal. Probably for the first time you realize that the elf, despite having a slimmer build than Gashur and Arun, is very close in strength to the orcs. With a little bit of strain he has warped the helm in a different position which still fits poorly but at least it gives his elven head some room.

"Thanks Barridal for the healing there. My faith can heal us too, but only if I'm able to fight next time. Glimlac, you want to take the lead?" Aareon says with a grin, clearly joking.

Aareon straps on his shield and has a loaded sling in the other hand. With that he checks to make sure he's on the right trail and continues on.

John Cribati
2019-04-14, 02:58 PM

Huh. What a whole lot of nothing she'd managed to do there. Sheepishly, she puts her sling and bullet away, hoping nobody really noticed.

DrunkMongoose
2019-04-14, 03:08 PM

As the marsh soaked pointy ear drains and re-shapes his visor, Bardial stays near the water's edge and continues to stay in an alert and readied warrior's stance with his Greataxe firmly locked into his grip. He listens to Aareon's words, but does not turn his head away, or take his eyes off the near by murky waters. His stern readied body language, and his assiduous stare of the nearby landscape contrasts with his jocund tone as he says to Aareon, who is now dealing with his drenched gear behind him.

”Aareon, Perhaps ye misheard me when I was talkin about our battle plan. Ye know I said we would be take'n our enemies head on and not Head in, Aye?

The still vigilant stout gives a small semi-chuckle and a moment before continuing

”Well, I'm glad your still in the land of living. " shifts his direction of his speak to the entire group, but does so without breaking his survey of the landscape.

” Only been in a swamp once or twice in me life, but it nae matter swamp, hills, under the mountain, or whatever wilds ya speaking . They all the same when ya taking about a harsh place filled with stuff looking to eat ya and other meats. We need ta stay eyes wide. Da smell of blood and the struggle of prey might bring other other nasty lots looking for an easy snack.

Also, since that went down faster then a Stout served an ale before the price was settled. Anyone else get hurt, or see something we all should be aware of?"

If after a few moments none of the group sees any threat or hears anything then Baridal relaxes a bit, but still keeps his Greataxe in hand.

kinem
2019-04-15, 05:50 PM
Arun fishes his sword from the shallow marsh and attempts to squeeze some of the water from his clothing.

Well, that was embarrassing! Dropped my sword like a newbie, in front of Bek'kuh too. Well, I felt pretty good about leading the attack on the frog before that ...

He swings the blade a few times, getting back into the frame of mind needed for battle.

"I doubt this place sees much traffic for bandits to prey on. I hope they are around though, since just getting bitten by a frog doesn't sound like much of a tale."

HumanTemplate
2019-04-15, 07:10 PM
The frog floats, killed by Gashur's mighty javelin.

But the marsh remains quiet.

After some embarrassment and short pause, Aereon continues to guide the party through the marsh.

Arun seems right. Who in their right mind would build anything here? even less pass through it?

Aushtyn

the merchants do not take your words lightly. At least not the one with the hissing voice. He walks towards you. Angry.

The large one, slowly interrupts him and asks you.

"What do ye want the map for? Adventuring?"

The Moat House

Finally, after long hours travelling East. Aereon lead the party to a clearing.

There the marsh's waters flow around a solid stone fortress, half in ruins, but still imposing.

However build it, did a great job, and one of patience, it mush have been absurdly difficult to erect such a building on this unsteady and wet ground. But without a doubt, it controls any kind of access into the woods to the East. A single path, over dry ground, and a continuation of the one you have been following, continues from the Moat House to the East and into the woods.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/91/3b/9b913b1715757cdf19dc2fcf9a5e547a.jpg

You don't see anyone, but there's a faint dark smoke coming from the furthest tower.

And from where you stand, you see a few frogs leaping into the water and the ponds around the Moat House.

CNFish
2019-04-15, 07:26 PM

Aushtyn

the merchants do not take your words lightly. At least not the one with the hissing voice. He walks towards you. Angry.

The large one, slowly interrupts him and asks you.

"What do ye want the map for? Adventuring?"

yes, actually. Should help with navigation should I end up lost, it'll also give me a way to work in my own landmarks and judge distances accordingly. Aushtyn is being kind of Frank here with them what are maps for obviously? So he is being rather sarcastic to them.

HumanTemplate
2019-04-15, 08:14 PM
Ausytin

Now even the larger man seems to be losing his patience toward your snarky remarks.

"Oh! I wouldn't know... You just don't look the adventuring type."

He moves from behind the counter, drawing a sharp blade concealed under the counter and proceeds to nail it halfway into the wood. He nods to the other guy.

"Bring a map for this brave adventurer. He obviously needs to go out of town soon"

The other throws you a wide grin and comes back with some scrolls and parchments.

"It will be two gold please sir"

Roll another diplomacy check

Please it is not necessary to quote, it just clogs the thread.

CNFish
2019-04-16, 09:39 PM
Diplomacy [roll0] this is without the -5 just add that in there if it still applies.

As Aushtyn reaches in his coin purse, the grim offsets him a bit.

Sense motive [roll1]

But the feeling passes rather quickly.

and here ya are my good man. I'll be sure to recommend you guys ink the future!

Janwin
2019-04-17, 10:09 AM
Glimlac chuckles at Arun's comment regarding the size of the tale, and as they continue on their journey he begins to hum.

Eventually, he starts to sing quietly--but just loud enough for everyone in the group to hear.

"The group of strangers wandered bravely into the woods
Seeking out those bandits who hide their faces with hoods.
They sought a mighty battle, glory to be found,
And the brave elf led them like a trusty hunting hound.
The land turned to marsh, wet and drowned and dead,
"There's something in the water", the wizened gnome said.
With a croak, a splash and a 'ribbit', their foe made itself known
For these brave companions had wandered into its home.
It's tongue lashed out at the elf, treating him like a fly,
and pulled him to its mouth, the elf cried "Help me or I'll die!"
And so the group rallied and came quickly to his aid
Bravely charging forward vowing justice would be paid.
The dwarf was first into the fray, calling on the divine
To mend the wounds the elf had suffered while in a tongue entwined.
An orc also charged into battle, swinging a mighty sword,
The blade buried deep into the foe while he yelled brutish words.
With a startled croak and a fearful 'ribbit', the foe knew his end was near
And so it tried to flee, completely overtaken by fear.
But the adventurers had vowed no quarter for the dastardly frog
And so they struck to end its life before it retreated into the bog.
The dwarf's axe flashed and hit its mark, through flesh it did rip,
And the orc's sword went flying through the air, having slipped out of his grip.
The final blow came from the orc, his javelin flying true!
With a mournful croak and a pitiful 'ribbit', the frog they did slew."

After singing, he looks around at everyone, shrugs and says defensively, "You try and write better in this environment."

Rolled in OOC: 16 (not terrible, at least)

As they arrive within sight of the castle, he then glances to Dolliz. "Well, Dolliz, guess it's time for us to go to work."

DrunkMongoose
2019-04-17, 07:00 PM

Baridal tried to stay completely focused and zoned in on the natural sounds of the swamp so he could identify any sounds of abnormality, but when Glimlac started singing there was nothing in the world that could have helped him to maintain all his focus on the task at hand.
As the tune snuck into his ears a smiling spread across his face, and he started humming to the catchy tune and lightly tapping to the beat with the fingers of his offhand on the grip of his greataxe. His vision was still scanning the horzion, but his attention was not as focused as before.

”Well shaved me beard and call me a gnome, if I ain't a sucker fer a fine catchy tune. Nice one Glimlac" he says quietly as they make their way to the moat house.

After Glimlac speaks to Dolliz, Baridal follows with
”Aye, it seems like you and yer furry friend's time ta shine. Good luck."

kinem
2019-04-17, 07:39 PM
Sword went flying ...

Arun sighs. Maybe he’ll cut out that bit if the tale gets long enough ...

Jopustopin
2019-04-18, 08:19 AM
Aareon

Aareon's face grows slightly annoyed in response to Glimac's song and turns to whoever is next to him, "Help me or I'll die? I did not say that."

He then sits down on the ground, still pretty annoyed, "Wet armor is chaffing pretty badly. Glad for the break. Good luck with the scouting."

Janwin
2019-04-18, 11:03 AM
As the group hunkers down to await the results of his scouting, Glimlac and Dolliz sneak away toward the Moat House trying to get a peak into the ruined fortress. Someone has to do the reconnaissance, and his armored companions were unlikely to be able to do the job.

He does his best to avoid the water and ponds while sneaking closer and closer to try and get a better view of the far tower.

Glimlac Sneak: [roll0]
Dolliz Sneak: [roll1]

Glimlac Perception: [roll2]
Dolliz Perception: [roll3]

John Cribati
2019-04-18, 04:23 PM

She flops down next to Aaeron while he's complaining.

At least you actually got to be in the song. I didn't even get "And the orcmaid just twirled her sling like a fool."