PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Thug (Hybrid Barbarian/Rogue) (ver 1.0)

R.Shackleford
2019-03-16, 07:37 AM
Tough and able to exert their will onto others. The thug is considered the urban barbarian.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/By7KSpXKPV

I love the barbarian... I love the rogue... Since I can't decide which one to play as... Well... Hybrid time :)

What do I like about the rogue? Expertise and Cunning Action are the two big draws of the Rogue, for me at least. I also like how you don't have any abilities that require short or long rest recovery. I like that their main damage is based on stipulations being met.

What do I like about the barbarian? Reckless attack and being the "tough" guy. I love being able to charge into battle knowing I'm about to mess things up. I love reckless attack, did I say that already? I have a thing for stipulation abilities that aren't short/long rest.

I added a 1/3rd caster because the song "I'm a rambling man" by Waylon Jennings came on youtube and I figured throwing some magic at this class would be nice for some friends.

This is not something entirely new, I basically just took features from both the Barbarian and Rogue to make this... So, don't expect a lot of originality.

Side Note: My groups don't go over 10th level so I don't deal with above 10th level when I make something, just feels like a waste of time.

This will be used during one of my group's homebrew games (once or twice a month we play homebrew classes now)

I'm working on a more barbarian like subclass, something like the Storm Herald or Spirit Guardian but based around Reckless Strike instead of rage.

Bannan_mantis
2019-03-16, 09:18 AM
Tough and able to exert their will onto others. The thug is considered the urban barbarian.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/By7KSpXKPV

I love the barbarian... I love the rogue... Since I can't decide which one to play as... Well... Hybrid time :)

What do I like about the rogue? Expertise and Cunning Action are the two big draws of the Rogue, for me at least. I also like how you don't have any abilities that require short or long rest recovery. I like that their main damage is based on stipulations being met.

What do I like about the barbarian? Reckless attack and being the "tough" guy. I love being able to charge into battle knowing I'm about to mess things up. I love reckless attack, did I say that already? I have a thing for stipulation abilities that aren't short/long rest.

I added a 1/3rd caster because the song "I'm a rambling man" by Waylon Jennings came on youtube and I figured throwing some magic at this class would be nice for some friends.

This is not something entirely new, I basically just took features from both the Barbarian and Rogue to make this... So, don't expect a lot of originality.

Side Note: My groups don't go over 10th level so I don't deal with above 10th level when I make something, just feels like a waste of time.

This will be used during one of my group's homebrew games (once or twice a month we play homebrew classes now)

I'm working on a more barbarian like subclass, something like the Storm Herald or Spirit Guardian but based around Reckless Strike instead of rage.

Overall it's pretty solid and I like the feel of it, just note you kinda said reckless attack is at level 2 so I'd recommend fixing that. Altogether it seems to be a pretty solid damage dealer with the thematics of a rogue and barbarian mixed into it. The only thing I'd point out is that maybe the reckless damage gets a bit OP when you think about how this guy already has extra attack. If we are using a versatile long sword you're dealing 2d10+8 (with a score of 18 strength) + 3d6 for a average of 29.5 damage in one turn with no bonuses being used. Feels a bit broken for me there but everything else is solid

R.Shackleford
2019-03-16, 09:47 AM
Overall it's pretty solid and I like the feel of it, just note you kinda said reckless attack is at level 2 so I'd recommend fixing that. Altogether it seems to be a pretty solid damage dealer with the thematics of a rogue and barbarian mixed into it. The only thing I'd point out is that maybe the reckless damage gets a bit OP when you think about how this guy already has extra attack. If we are using a versatile long sword you're dealing 2d10+8 (with a score of 18 strength) + 3d6 for a average of 29.5 damage in one turn with no bonuses being used. Feels a bit broken for me there but everything else is solid

Reckless Strike was originally at second level, I forgot to change it, thanks!

I actually would like for this class to do a bit more than Rogue damage but not as much as a Barbarian, extra attack right is actually a hold over from before I created Reckless Strike.

I'm not sure what to put there. I was thinking of giving them a fighting style... But I feel that goes against the idea of Barbarian and Rogue.

I'm going to go ahead and replace Extra attack with Fast Movement for now and think on it later :)

===
Maybe rogue damage would be good enough, this class will have skill and mobility... Hmmm

===

I was thinking about a special extra attack. One that, if you niss with your reckless strike you can then make a "desperate strike" that only deal damage equal to your reckless strike damage.

This way, the class can get a chance to deal some damage with this bonus action, much like the rogue, but not go overboard with damage.

Desperate Strike
Whenever ypu use reckless strike and miss with your attack, you may use a bonus action to make another attack out of desperation. This attack has the advantage from your reckless strike feature, but only deals reckless strike damage.

Bjarkmundur
2019-03-16, 02:59 PM
Bwahahahahhaha I love the rose! XD
10/10 would play this class!

I like the desperation mechanic, it Ups your hit %, and 90% of all action points I saw used in 4e was following a missed attack.

Don't know about that exact wording, but the "When you miss, make a second attack against the same target" is perfect.

R.Shackleford
2019-03-16, 05:48 PM
Bwahahahahhaha I love the rose! XD
10/10 would play this class!

I like the desperation mechanic, it Ups your hit %, and 90% of all action points I saw used in 4e was following a missed attack.

Don't know about that exact wording, but the "When you miss, make a second attack against the same target" is perfect.

Thanks!

Yeah, I would want to have the thug attack the same target.