PDA

View Full Version : Filling out the 7 character for AL persistent

orionbryan
2019-03-16, 08:48 AM
Seeking ideas for my character in a 7 person party. 20th level is assured as it’s AL. 1-5 is LMoP.

Party list-
Fighter: specific role not known
Barbarian: specific role not known
Sorcerer: shadow
Cleric: life
5th player: class not defined
6th player: class not defined
7th player: me

Campaign deets-
Adventurer’s League
1-5 LMoP Persistant party
5-20 progression generally expected. Persistence of others is possible.

My personal considerations-
- I need to be interested in a concept first
- Min/max not my interest, only survivability
- I’m really turned off by the lack of gold in AL because it limits purchase components for some casters, takes away classic rogue reasons to seek chests, etc... I’d prefer not to debate this or TCP generally as my AL group is pretty clear on this. Also, I understand and support the reasons for TCP. There just needs to be other adventuring reasons and that needs to be constructed.
- Passable experience playing D&D. No rules expert here though.
- Don’t love many MC builds because it doesn’t see RP realistic. “So you’re a warlock and a Paladin. Interests conflict much??” If something works really well conceptually that’s cool. IMO a fighter or rogue dip is way more realistic than that of any caster.

I’m seeking an interesting character for this party, given the knowns and known unknowns above. The party will ALWAYS have 7 players because our AL the bales stay full + wait. Players that shine in big parties or the freedom to break far from traditional roles is interesting.

LtPowers
2019-03-16, 09:19 AM
20th level is assured as it’s AL.

Not sure how those connect.

My suggestion is a Lore Bard. It's adaptable and allows you to compensate for your party's weaknesses and amplify their strengths. You could also go Glamour if you prefer the beguiling style of play, or Mastermind Rogue if you prefer to avoid magic.

Powers &8^]

Contrast
2019-03-16, 09:52 AM
- I need to be interested in a concept first

The process might work a little better if you tell us some concepts you find interesting then?

- Min/max not my interest, only survivability

As in the character must be personally tanky?

- I’m really turned off by the lack of gold in AL because it limits purchase components for some casters, takes away classic rogue reasons to seek chests, etc... I’d prefer not to debate this or TCP generally as my AL group is pretty clear on this. Also, I understand and support the reasons for TCP. There just needs to be other adventuring reasons and that needs to be constructed.

OK? Does this mean rogues and spellcasters and people who aspire to wear plate armour are off the table or...?

- Don’t love many MC builds because it doesn’t see RP realistic. “So you’re a warlock and a Paladin. Interests conflict much??” If something works really well conceptually that’s cool. IMO a fighter or rogue dip is way more realistic than that of any caster.

I mean sure a devotion paladin and fiendlock has some explaining to do but a feylock/ancients paladin and celestialock/devotion paladin (or vengeance hexblade as well thinking about it) are probably some of the most thematically linked multiclasses possible but you do you I guess.

Depends on your answers to some of the above, some a devotion or ancients paladin would be good. Always welcome in the party, solid buffs and some options to answer problems. I have a tortle moon druid at the moment and he's incredibly difficult to kill, beast forms allow him to spread out spell slots better. Tortle is a good option generally if you're looking to play a spellcaster but don't want to tank your AC or invest heavily in improving it.

Kensai monk is a little underwhelming at lower levels but pretty survivable and once you start getting more Ki points is pretty fun plus you don't need to interact much with money/TP.

Boci
2019-03-16, 09:54 AM

Most games end before level 20, and theres no gurantee a new group will be playing at the level you left off, but as long as AL functions it will have games going up to 20th level.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-03-16, 10:43 AM
So you want to survive but not to min-max.
Play a 8 con kobold wizard that is sure he his a barbarian and run into the enemies unarmored.

I will mini-max survival with a Yuan-ti Pureblood(Volo's Guide to Monsters) Oath of the Ancients(PHB) Paladin.
You were traveling the jungles and saw the beauty of life.
You took a Vow to leave your tribe and the night serpent in order to protect life and joy everywhere.

Sell all your starting equipment to buy Splint(200gp) and take Heavy Armor Master or go Dex Paladin and take Medium Armor Master.
Use a Shield and a defense fighting style.
At level 2 you will have 20 AC and advantage vs magic.
Take Shield Master in order to take no damage from dex save.
Take Cha ASIs in order to boost your saves.

You will survive well.

You can also forget the armor, take Sentinel, Cha ASI, Res (Con) and take Moon(PHB) Druid after level 7 Paladin as your connection to the wild life is getting stronger and your Paladin Order sent you to learn the druid way as the Ancient and Moon are very close with their goals.

Cast a buff like Bless or what ever you like and charge to battle with your steed.
Keep the enemies away from your friends and have non magical attacks your biggest problem (as a moon druid you will have the HP).
If you can get the fighter to ride you as a large bear it will be awesome.

EDIT:
I forgot to write that you will only get the defense fighting style in wild shape only if you will buy barding and don it as the beast(you will need barding for each battle shape, I don't remember seeing in 5e armor that can change shape).

Have fun.

Griswold
2019-03-16, 10:58 AM
If you're looking for an easy motivation for adventuring, play a wizard (or a tomelock). Scrolls and spellbooks still drop in AL, and I've seen few enough of either class, so you won't have to fight over them. You get to play the classic Wizard whose motivation is learning as much about magic as possible. It's a role I certainly enjoy.

After a couple of levels, wizard is quite survivable, especially if you do something like play War Wizard or Abjurer. I wouldn't recommend Bladesinger, because even though you can scribe from scrolls and spellbooks outside of your +1, very few of those drop. You'll be spending even more gold to get them and then scribe them, and you have very little.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-03-16, 11:02 AM
If you're looking for an easy motivation for adventuring, play a wizard (or a tomelock). Scrolls and spellbooks still drop in AL, and I've seen few enough of either class, so you won't have to fight over them. You get to play the classic Wizard whose motivation is learning as much about magic as possible. It's a role I certainly enjoy.

After a couple of levels, wizard is quite survivable, especially if you do something like play War Wizard or Abjurer. I wouldn't recommend Bladesinger, because even though you can scribe from scrolls and spellbooks outside of your +1, very few of those drop. You'll be spending even more gold to get them and then scribe them, and you have very little.
Wizards suffer in AL right now as they don't get to buy magic items if they want enough gold to scribe spells.
TomeLock have it easier as they have a smaller pool to scribe but it leave a bad feeling to not buy that Pearl of Power and Rod of The Pact Keeper when everyone else get +1 weapons and shields.

orionbryan
2019-03-16, 11:22 AM

My suggestion is a Lore Bard. It's adaptable and allows you to compensate for your party's weaknesses and amplify their strengths. You could also go Glamour if you prefer the beguiling style of play, or Mastermind Rogue if you prefer to avoid magic
Powers &8^]

My point is only that I intend to play the character in tier 4 and have a healthy source of groups to do so.

Lore is a straightforward choice and hard to ignore the amplified effect of bards in big parties. I’m still looking though. I’ve done a hard and want to play with different mechanics.

TyGuy
2019-03-16, 11:32 AM
I don't understand why this myth that paladin/warlock MC isn't narratively compatible is so pervasive. There's literally several compatibly themed subclasses between the two.

Anyways. If your top priority is survivability, and expensive reagents for spells are a concern, you'll find few things more durable than bear totem barbarian (3/4) moon druid (17/16).

orionbryan
2019-03-16, 11:46 AM
The process might work a little better if you tell us some concepts you find interesting then?

I don’t know how to requote here but I will answer point by point.

** I didn’t want to steer the initial thread too far but I am thinking a suave and comedic face type. Methodical and attractive. Dangerous and possibly even a well played Lawful Evil. True nuetral is good too.

I DONT want to play dumb, aloof, emotionally restrained, stalwart.

As in the character must be personally tanky?

**Or able to escape with dexterity or magic. Bag of tricks is great.

OK? Does this mean rogues and spellcasters and people who aspire to wear plate armour are off the table or...?

**No. I see that the expensive divine components are mostly related to teleportation and resurrection/necromancy. This makes good sense. Arcane seems harder to cover with the available TCP. I see what your gong for but plate armor is quite reusable.

I mean sure a devotion paladin and fiendlock has some explaining to do but a feylock/ancients paladin and celestialock/devotion paladin (or vengeance hexblade as well thinking about it) are probably some of the most thematically linked multiclasses possible but you do you I guess.

**Yeah I guess. But I’m old school. Maybe when I’m more accustomed/bored to 5e.

Depends on your answers to some of the above, some a devotion or ancients paladin would be good. Always welcome in the party, solid buffs and some options to answer problems. I have a tortle moon druid at the moment and he's incredibly difficult to kill, beast forms allow him to spread out spell slots better. Tortle is a good option generally if you're looking to play a spellcaster but don't want to tank your AC or invest heavily in improving it.

**Wait wait back up. Turtles are AL legal? Because I legit want to make Donatello. No shame.

Kensai monk is a little underwhelming at lower levels but pretty survivable and once you start getting more Ki points is pretty fun plus you don't need to interact much with money/TP.

**Monk is that thing I keep thinking to try but I revert to rogue guides. I’m seeing them as the same role and I know that’s probably not correct.

Responses above. Interesting options about monk and tortles.

orionbryan
2019-03-16, 11:49 AM
I don't understand why this myth that paladin/warlock MC isn't narratively compatible is so pervasive. There's literally several compatibly themed subclasses between the two.

Anyways. If your top priority is survivability, and expensive reagents for spells are a concern, you'll find few things more durable than bear totem barbarian (3/4) moon druid (17/16).

Thanks for the suggestion. Moon Druid looks fun. Yeah I’m just firmly in the anti paladin/warlock camp now.... also anti anti-paladin/warlock camp.

orionbryan
2019-03-16, 11:52 AM
So you want to survive but not to min-max.
Play a 8 con kobold wizard that is sure he his a barbarian and run into the enemies unarmored.

I will mini-max survival with a Yuan-ti Pureblood(Volo's Guide to Monsters) Oath of the Ancients(PHB) Paladin.
You were traveling the jungles and saw the beauty of life.
You took a Vow to leave your tribe and the night serpent in order to protect life and joy everywhere.

Sell all your starting equipment to buy Splint(200gp) and take Heavy Armor Master or go Dex Paladin and take Medium Armor Master.
Use a Shield and a defense fighting style.
At level 2 you will have 20 AC and advantage vs magic.
Take Shield Master in order to take no damage from dex save.
Take Cha ASIs in order to boost your saves.

You will survive well.

You can also forget the armor, take Sentinel, Cha ASI, Res (Con) and take Moon(PHB) Druid after level 7 Paladin as your connection to the wild life is getting stronger and your Paladin Order sent you to learn the druid way as the Ancient and Moon are very close with their goals.

Cast a buff like Bless or what ever you like and charge to battle with your steed.
Keep the enemies away from your friends and have non magical attacks your biggest problem (as a moon druid you will have the HP).
If you can get the fighter to ride you as a large bear it will be awesome.

EDIT:
I forgot to write that you will only get the defense fighting style in wild shape only if you will buy barding and don it as the beast(you will need barding for each battle shape, I don't remember seeing in 5e armor that can change shape).

Have fun.

This is above my level of comprehension. It is very intersection and I will read it more closely.

orionbryan
2019-03-16, 12:41 PM
Most games end before level 20, and theres no gurantee a new group will be playing at the level you left off, but as long as AL functions it will have games going up to 20th level.

Yeah our AL is active at 20

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-03-16, 12:42 PM
This is above my level of comprehension. It is very intersection and I will read it more closely.

I am willing to rewrite it if you will ask(but only in half an hour. I am on my way home and it is hard to write in a car).
If you will give more information on what you want to do I will be able to narrow(or expend) my suggestion.

8wGremlin
2019-03-16, 04:51 PM
Tortle Druid, Circle of the Shepherd - books (phb + xgte, tortle package is part of that)

Have some Str for when you need to, but your pretty resilient, very versatile, have wildshape, and druid spells.
I'm playing one and they are quite hard.

sithlordnergal
2019-03-16, 05:07 PM
Go Hill Dwarf Moon Druid, use Xanathar's as your +1. Xanathar's will give you some much needed damaging spells like Ice Knife that are not concentration. And few classes are as tanky as the Moon Druid. You may not have much in AC, but HP will make up for it. Just make sure to write down all the beasts you see, it won't matter as much as soon as you reach level 10 though.

Also, try to get your hands on a Staff of the Woodlands, Staff of Frost, and Staff of Fire.

TyGuy
2019-03-16, 05:19 PM
Also, try to get your hands on a Staff of the Woodlands, Staff of Frost, and Staff of Fire.
I don't think that's an easy task in AL. How many TP is that, and are all of those available?

sithlordnergal
2019-03-16, 05:27 PM
I don't think that's an easy task in AL. How many TP is that, and are all of those available?

Its a bit easier then you might expect. You won't be able to easily get them all of them until tier 3, but there are specific adventures you can do to unlock each of those

Contrast
2019-03-16, 06:37 PM
Responses above. Interesting options about monk and tortles.

Re Donatello. As others have mentioned Tortles are AL legal (and considered part of Xanathars for +1 purposes). Unfortunately they make slightly awkward monks as a lot of their features don't mesh (unarmoured AC and shell AC don't stack, claws and fists don't stack). As much as we all want to be teenage mutant ninja tortles there are better races to be. You said you weren't into min maxing though so :smallbiggrin:

I find monks pretty underwhelming at lower levels but once you've levelled a bit, picked up Mobile and boosted some stats (personally variant human preferred as in my opinion you do want Mobile but are also very stat hungry) and start to get enough Ki points that you can be more liberal with them it starts to get pretty fun.

Also if you're thinking about making your character difficult to stop keep in mind gnomes. Their advantage on mental magic saves is pretty rocking. Combine with shield master and/or a class with evasion and you can be pretty unstoppable.

Keravath
2019-03-16, 08:19 PM
Its a bit easier then you might expect. You won't be able to easily get them all of them until tier 3, but there are specific adventures you can do to unlock each of those

It sounds like the OP may be playing specific hard covers so they probably can't count on picking and choosing what to play with the character to optimize magic item selection.

------------

To the OP:

There are any number of decent characters that you could choose to play including a lot of multi-classes.

As for multiclassing, there are an infinite number of role play reasons that can explain ANY possible combination of races and classes. Some just need a character that is very conflicted, others mesh perfectly well (like the devotion paladin/celestial warlock or ancients paladin/fey warlock where the lore and description of each are perfectly in sync). Shadow sorcerer with a couple of levels of hexblade warlock also works well since they can have a shared origin story tying back to the plane of shadow.

If you want survivability then a yuan-ti pureblood from volo's is a decent option since it has advantage on saves vs magic and spells, immunity to poison, 60' darkvision and can pass for human.

This could be combined with - ancients dex paladin, shadow monk (advantage on all saves plus proficiency with all saves at level 14 is a significant survival feature at high level) or bard since they are charisma based. The main issue with first two of these is that there aren't enough ASI to max both primary and secondary stats if you want that.

I'd also note that in playing AL, you should not plan around whoever else might be playing since it will likely change over time.

I've found a lore bard X/hexblade warlock 2 multiclass works well and in the case of my character's backstory it makes sense but YMMV. (However, this is not compatible with the yuan-ti option due to +1 constraints).

In any case, I'd suggest that the best idea is to choose a character that you would like to play. Optimize enough that they are effective. If you want to socialize, choose a race/class combination that is charisma based and take persuasion and deception as skills. Rogue or bard can give you expertise in the relevant skills.

sithlordnergal
2019-03-16, 10:33 PM
It sounds like the OP may be playing specific hard covers so they probably can't count on picking and choosing what to play with the character to optimize magic item selection.

True, though there are online options to supplement that. I wouldn't recommend doing it too much, but it can help round stuff out, especially with the limitations on obtaining magic items.

sithlordnergal
2019-03-16, 10:44 PM
Re Donatello. As others have mentioned Tortles are AL legal (and considered part of Xanathars for +1 purposes). Unfortunately they make slightly awkward monks as a lot of their features don't mesh (unarmoured AC and shell AC don't stack, claws and fists don't stack). As much as we all want to be teenage mutant ninja tortles there are better races to be. You said you weren't into min maxing though so :smallbiggrin:

I mean, claws and fists may not stack per say, but you are able to use the claws in exchange for a normal unarmed strike, and apply for a Monk's Martial Arts. Crawford confirms this, and it even says in the text they're used to make Unarmed Strikes, while a Monk's Martial Arts feature affects all Unarmed Strikes.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/800045721218990080

orionbryan
2019-03-17, 05:46 AM

Yeah. Not realistic. Most people would go for staff of magi anyway

orionbryan
2019-03-17, 05:48 AM

I find monks pretty underwhelming at lower levels but once you've levelled a bit, picked up Mobile and boosted some stats (personally variant human preferred as in my opinion you do want Mobile but are also very stat hungry) and start to get enough Ki points that you can be more liberal with them it starts to get pretty fun.

Also if you're thinking about making your character difficult to stop keep in mind gnomes. Their advantage on mental magic saves is pretty rocking. Combine with shield master and/or a class with evasion and you can be pretty unstoppable.

Honestly for the tortle thing I’ll probably just “reshell” the game and to TMNT for my son and his buddies. My son said he want to make a bard who cooks called Totlelinni. Love it.

orionbryan
2019-03-17, 05:56 AM
True, though there are online options to supplement that. I wouldn't recommend doing it too much, but it can help round stuff out, especially with the limitations on obtaining magic items.

Yeah we take whatever is on offer. At higher tiers the herd thins out and parties are more consistently chasing certain unlocks.

Contrast
2019-03-17, 06:07 AM
I mean, claws and fists may not stack per say, but you are able to use the claws in exchange for a normal unarmed strike, and apply for a Monk's Martial Arts. Crawford confirms this, and it even says in the text they're used to make Unarmed Strikes, while a Monk's Martial Arts feature affects all Unarmed Strikes.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/800045721218990080

I don't know if you missed the point I was trying to make but their racial ability lets them roll 1d4 damage for their unarmed strikes or they can use their Martial Arts ability to instead do...1d4 damage (improving as you level and with the option of str or dex). That racial ability is literally never useful to a monk.