PDA

View Full Version : Instigating an Attack of Opportunity

Mars Ultor
2019-03-16, 11:48 AM
My character has the Riposte feat, which allows me to get an Attack of Opportunity against the first opponent who attacks and misses me in the round.

Using a non-reach weapon, I'm fighting an ogre from an adjacent square, he threatens that square and the one behind it. If I leave the adjacent square he gets an AoO against me, can I still reach him and potentially get my Riposte hit before I leave that adjacent square?

Zaq
2019-03-16, 11:51 AM
I’d want to see the text of the feat in question, but simply from a timing/positioning perspective, I think you’re good. AoOs happen at interrupt speed, so you’re still in the adjacent square when the ogre swings, and therefore the ogre is still within your reach at that instant.

XionUnborn01
2019-03-16, 11:56 AM
Here's a quote from the srd:

An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).

So, since you're attached before your move finishes, I'm inclined to say you would get your Riposte attack. Of course, if you're only loving 5ft, you dont normally provoke.

Mr Adventurer
2019-03-16, 12:02 PM
As far as I know you are free to move 5 feet by using your move action; what's actually important is whether you are taking the 5' step option or not.

Doctor Awkward
2019-03-16, 12:20 PM
Attacks of Opportunity occur before the action that causes them happens. This is why you cannot trip someone who is standing up with the AoO they trigger, because they are still on the ground when you attack them for standing.

So if you trigger an AoO by leaving a threatened square, the attack occurs before you have left the squar. If that attack misses then you immediately get one of your own from Riposte. At the conclusion of this exchange, you then finish your movement.