PDA

View Full Version : Domain spells

ThriceHonored
2019-03-16, 05:10 PM
I am a little confused as to how domain spells work. I remember reading something in the book to the effect that they do not count towards your daily allotment of spell slots. Does that mean you can cast them however many times you want like a cantrip? If so how does that work if you are casting them using higher level spell slots?

Tanarii
2019-03-16, 05:20 PM
You choose Level+Wis mod spells when you long rest to prepare, from any level you can cast. You also get your domain spells on top of that.

Then you get an allotment of 'empty' slots. When you cast a spell, you choose a prepared or domain spell, pair it with a slot of the necessary level, then expect the slot.

So prepared and domain spells are your list of spells you can cast that day, and they dont go away. Slots are used to power spells when you cast them.

BoringInfoGuy
2019-03-16, 05:26 PM
I am a little confused as to how domain spells work. I remember reading something in the book to the effect that they do not count towards your daily allotment of spell slots. Does that mean you can cast them however many times you want like a cantrip? If so how does that work if you are casting them using higher level spell slots?
Domain spells do use spell slots as normal spells do.

They are always prepared, and do not count against your list of prepared spells for the day.

ImproperJustice
2019-03-16, 06:04 PM
It helps me to think of prepared spells as your “Daily Spell List” that you cast from.

And then to think of spell slots as magic points.

Domain Spells are added to your Daily Spell List and don’t take up any space on that list.

DarkKnightJin
2019-03-17, 04:11 AM
Spells known/prepared are your spell selection.
Domain spells are extra spells that you always have access to.

Spell slots work like Mana. And you can overcharge lower level spells to usually get some extra oomph out of it.

OverLordOcelot
2019-03-17, 05:38 PM
As a cleric, you need two things to cast a spell. You need to have prepared a spell to have it as an option, and you need a spell slot of at least the spell's level to power it. Each day you prepare a number of spells based on your level and wisdom, you can change these after a long rest. Each day you get a certain number of spell slots, you use them to power spells and regain them after a long rest. Domain spells are special spells that you always have prepared but don't count as part of your limited number of prepared spells, but they still require spell slots.