PDA

View Full Version : Computer Keeps Crashing

Bitzeralisis
2007-09-29, 04:03 PM
At least once a week, my computer will crash:

"Generic Host process for Win32 Services had encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

After I close that message, I get a warning that my computer needs to restart, and starts counting down from one minute. So I save all my stuff, and let my computer restart...

What would you recommend I do? I've run Spybot Search & Destroy, but have no anti-virus program. And there's about a million solutions for this problem out there, and don't know which one to trust. Surely one of you must have had this problem before!

SuperNovice
2007-09-29, 08:28 PM
Without trying to do the trouble shooting here, the best thing to do is make sure your PC is fully updated then:

1 - Go to http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

2 - Download HijackThis

3 - Run it and post the logs in the Malware Help forums on the same site along with a short description of the problem.

DO NOT delete anything that shows up in the log without reading the responses you get first. The HijackThis log will contain many dlls and services that are necessary to run Windows. This goes doubly if you know a little bit about computers. Just because you see a Host service running doesn't mean you can simply stop it and expect the problem to be fixed. :smallwink:

Geode
2007-09-30, 01:47 AM
I bought my pc two and a half years ago. It crashed about once a week with no correlation to what I was working on at the time. After about six months a problem was identified in the Intel HD control and a patch was made available for everyone with that problem.

Do you get a dialogue box after the crash asking you to submit a crash report to Microsoft? That's how I found out there was a patch for the problem I was having in the "Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition (iastor.sys)." You don't have to have RAID set up.

That might be a possibility if you've been having the problem since you bought the computer or hard drive. The crash report option should identify it if it's the same problem.