PDA

View Full Version : What to run

Seekergeek
2019-03-16, 09:23 PM
So I致e been asked to run a game at my local gaming shop for a group of fellow 30 something professionals who have either never played before period or have not played since university. I知 wondering what published module might be a good starting point for total newcomers of that demographic - I知 thinking something more roleplay heavy might be easier to ease in to but who knows. Dragon Heist caught my eye but what are your suggestions, hive mind?

Amiel
2019-03-16, 09:45 PM
So I致e been asked to run a game at my local gaming shop for a group of fellow 30 something professionals who have either never played before period or have not played since university. I知 wondering what published module might be a good starting point for total newcomers of that demographic - I知 thinking something more roleplay heavy might be easier to ease in to but who knows. Dragon Heist caught my eye but what are your suggestions, hive mind?

That's excellent as.
While I personally haven't experienced it, I've heard quite good things about Waterdeep: Dragon Heist as a beginner's module. Just note that while that adventure calls itself a heist, it further clarifies that its premise is about a treasure hunt (I feel a lot of people overlook this). It also separates its treasure hunt into seasons (but unfortunately there's limited overlap), so you could have the players be further invested in the adventure by getting them to select a season. It also gifts them a tavern for added investment. To make the best use out of that adventure, there's also add-ons on DMsGuild, so you could have additional Waterdeep encounters and the like.

Otherwise, another one I haven't personally experienced but can't recommend enough is Lost Mines of Phlandelver, it's the perfect starter's set for newcomers, and apparently it's quite the fun adventure.

Happy Gaming.

GreyBlack
2019-03-16, 09:46 PM

Mines of Phandelver is normally the go-to answer. Good combination of RP opportunities, combat, and cloak and dagger stuff. I haven't actually looked at Dragon Heist at all, but I would recommend asking your players what they want. Maybe send them descriptions of the two adventures and ask what they're interested in?