PDA

View Full Version : Optimization So my DM thinks tsochar should be a playable race

ihuk
2019-03-17, 06:06 AM
As the title says my DM thinks the tsochar should be a playable race, so I plan to abuse it right up until it isn't. My first thought was obviously cleric wizard, then I decided I should have some fun at least, and make a cleric possessing a druid. Note a tsochar can steal spells from the druid and cast it as tho its his own spell. Also once I Stockholm syndrome the druid i can instruct it how to cast spells as a cleric, at least thats what my DM rules so I wont argue with that. Anyways any weird or awesome combos would be appreciated.

tsochar cloistered cleric domain trickery
1 extend spell
3 persistant spell
6 divine metamagic persistant spell

host druid 10 planar shepard 10
1 abberration blood, greensinger initiate
6 natural spell
9 assume supernatural ability
12 aberration wild shape

remetagross
2019-03-17, 09:23 AM
Tsochari can only steal arcane spells if I remember correctly, so you'd be better off possessing a Wizard :smallwink:

Crake
2019-03-17, 10:16 AM
Tsochari can only steal arcane spells if I remember correctly, so you'd be better off possessing a Wizard :smallwink:

Not only that, it can only do it to a character it replaces, rather than one it inhabits, so it involves killing the host, and the spells can only be cast once, they cannot be reprepared. You'll also have trouble permanently inhabiting a druid, since they can change into plants with wildshape, which makes them immune to your wear flesh ability, and then can cast shapechange to turn incorporeal to expel you, or just simply cast heal.

Basically, this isn't going to work, because inhabiting a body doesn't actually give you any real control over the inhabitant, and you can't read it's mind, so you can't tell what spells it's preparing any given morning. You're trying to treat it like possession when it's not. How would you even subjugate a level 20 druid in the first place.

Falontani
2019-03-17, 10:54 AM
Play a psion. You can manifest powers while wearing flesh.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-03-17, 11:02 AM
Take Spells (Su): A tsochar that replaces a spellcaster (see
below) retains any arcane spells prepared by the dead character,
and can cast them as if it had prepared the spells itself. The
tsochar must meet the minimum ability score needed to cast
the spell based on the type of caster replaced (Intelligence for
a wizard, for example), or else the spell is unavailable to it. If
the tsochar replaces a spontaneous caster such as a sorcerer, it
retains the available spell slots of the dead spellcaster, and can
use any spells the dead host knew. In either case, the tsochar
cannot regain spells or spell slots it expends from the dead
character’s spellcasting ability.

Make a Beguiler with Versatile Spellcaster. You can spend two Beguiler spell slots of the same level to cast a spell of one level higher that you know from the person you're occupying, and get early access to the next higher level of Beguiler spells. This also gives you absurd skill points and class skills like Bluff, Disguise, etc.

If you're stuck keeping the four racial HD be sure to take Practiced Spellcaster. Don't forget to take Mindsight.

You'll want to dip a single level of a prestige class that advances spellcasting and is decently front-loaded with class features to put your advanced learning class features at one spell level higher. Normally Mindbender would be ideal but a tsochar already has telepathy, so maybe Paragnostic Apostle or even just dip Unseen Seer to keep your skills up. That with Versatile Spellcaster allows your advanced learning spells to be 2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 9th level. Be sure to take Ray of Stupidity, and I'd get Shadow Form, Greater Shadow Evocation, Greater Shadow Conjuration, and Superior Invisibility.

Blue Jay
2019-03-17, 04:27 PM
As the title says my DM thinks the tsochar should be a playable race, so I plan to abuse it right up until it isn't. My first thought was obviously cleric wizard, then I decided I should have some fun at least, and make a cleric possessing a druid. Note a tsochar can steal spells from the druid and cast it as tho its his own spell. Also once I Stockholm syndrome the druid i can instruct it how to cast spells as a cleric, at least thats what my DM rules so I wont argue with that. Anyways any weird or awesome combos would be appreciated.

tsochar cloistered cleric domain trickery
1 extend spell
3 persistant spell
6 divine metamagic persistant spell

host druid 10 planar shepard 10
1 abberration blood, greensinger initiate
6 natural spell
9 assume supernatural ability
12 aberration wild shape

I don't see anything that says a tsochar comes with a free, custom-built host, so you'd better address that first. What ways will your DM allow you to acquire a host? Does he/she allow Leadership? If so, will he/she let you build your own cohort? That's not technically the way Leadership works, so it's kind of important. Most likely, you'll have to basically settle for an NPC you encounter in-game, which makes it challenging to optimize around your host's abilities.

Also, what's your endgame here? Are you trying to convince your DM that tsochar PCs are a bad idea, and this is your way of winning the argument or something? Or, is this something you actually want to play? If the latter, maybe you should consider carefully whether intentionally abusing the privilege is your best course of action.

ihuk
2019-03-17, 07:19 PM
Not only that, it can only do it to a character it replaces, rather than one it inhabits, so it involves killing the host, and the spells can only be cast once, they cannot be reprepared. You'll also have trouble permanently inhabiting a druid, since they can change into plants with wildshape, which makes them immune to your wear flesh ability, and then can cast shapechange to turn incorporeal to expel you, or just simply cast heal.
Missed the arcane only part thats what I get for researching and not sleeping, as for the shape change part i keep arguing that should kick me out of the host but my gm is adamant it wont.

I don't see anything that says a tsochar comes with a free, custom-built host, so you'd better address that first. What ways will your DM allow you to acquire a host? Does he/she allow Leadership? If so, will he/she let you build your own cohort? That's not technically the way Leadership works, so it's kind of important. Most likely, you'll have to basically settle for an NPC you encounter in-game, which makes it challenging to optimize around your host's abilities.

Also, what's your endgame here? Are you trying to convince your DM that tsochar PCs are a bad idea, and this is your way of winning the argument or something? Or, is this something you actually want to play? If the latter, maybe you should consider carefully whether intentionally abusing the privilege is your best course of action.

It doesnt come with a custom built host but for some reason I'm allowed to make it and play it. Really I'm tired of arguing rules and just applying "yes, and" to see what happens.

Bphill561
2019-03-17, 11:17 PM
Play a psion. You can manifest powers while wearing flesh.

Agreed. Assuming you keep the racial HD, I would go

4HD/ 1 Telepath/10 Thrallherd

L1 Wild Talent, L3 Inquistor, L5 Bonus Psi Feat Practiced manifestor

You could get a new cohort once a day if you wish.

Otherwise the otherworldly feat could be useful if you can access it. Turn your 4 Aberration HD into outsider.

Crake
2019-03-18, 12:18 AM
Missed the arcane only part thats what I get for researching and not sleeping, as for the shape change part i keep arguing that should kick me out of the host but my gm is adamant it wont.

But like, literally just casting the heal spell as a level 20 druid is more than capable of doing? Expelled without a save.

It sounds like your DM is planning to either a) screw with you when you think everything's gonna be super easy, or b) has little to no care for the game he's about to run, or c) just plans to railroad you hard and so doesn't care if you're overpowered or not.

I mean, I'll be honest, you guys don't sound like particularly experienced players (I coud be wrong), yet you're beginning with level 20 characters? That's a recipie for disaster.

ihuk
2019-03-18, 12:31 AM
Agreed. Assuming you keep the racial HD, I would go

4HD/ 1 Telepath/10 Thrallherd

L1 Wild Talent, L3 Inquistor, L5 Bonus Psi Feat Practiced manifestor

You could get a new cohort once a day if you wish.

Otherwise the otherworldly feat could be useful if you can access it. Turn your 4 Aberration HD into outsider.

liking this idea, gonna have to research psionics now

Crake
2019-03-18, 01:47 AM

Do people even look at feat prerequisites these days?

Prerequisite

Deep Imaskari (Underdark [Deep Imaskar]), elf (Evermeet, Sildëyuir), or spirit folk (Ashane),

Tsochar don't qualify for otherworldly in any way

Segev
2019-03-18, 10:51 AM
Yeah, Thrallherd is the way to go. Also, remember that you don't HAVE to possess your Thrall; if you see a juicy host, you can exit your Thrall (gently or not) and go attack the new prospective host. Take over the new body, and your Thrall still serves you. But having a Thrall means you're not stuck with whatever the DM deigns to give you when you start play.