PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Expedition to the Demonweb Pits - IC

Cardea
2019-03-17, 09:41 AM
[OOC] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583543-3-5-Expedition-to-the-Demonweb-Pits-OOC)

Stepping through the cavern portal, you find yourselves stepping through a stone archway in an alley. Dim lit and abandoned, you can see larger alleys on either side and from there you hear the busy sounds of a city. For some of you the smell and feel of the air is a familiar grace on your mind and skin, but for some of you the cloying sense of closed in walls and magically filtered yet still dirty city air in this particular fashion is new. Looking up from between a building of wood and a building of stone you do not see a sky, but instead more city and streets. Light doesn't come from a place, just simply pervading the air and illuminating much of the city... save for the alleyway.

Coming in from a fight with those Drow in the cave, one of their numbers carried a journal. And while much of it had quips and tales and stories and footnotes about the Drow in question, it contained a single clue where to go forward and find out why you were ambushed: Rule-of-Three of Sigil intrigues me as few others have. As he would
say: a riddle, an enigma, a puzzle. Regardless of his ultimate loyalty (impossible to determine), he would make a fine sacrifice to honor the Spider Queen. Perhaps a fellow comrade in suffering the Drow. Some of you know where the Oarsmen is, and guide yourselves to it. You take a shortcut to avoid a religious procession that is freely scourging bystanders. You duck into an alley littered with dirt and filled with scurrying black rats. Bits of rotting cloth, sewage, and rubbish give the alley a pungent reek.

You’re halfway down the alley when you hear the voices: hundreds of tiny voices, like children, all speaking together. “You must listen to us. Listening? Yes? Scuttle very carefully through this sewer. Demons are triple liars, but angels are eager to make you martyrs. Go, and trust neither heaven nor hell. We mean victory for you and defeat for the Spider Queen.” There’s no sound; the voices are entirely in your head, and they aren’t leaving.

kinem
2019-03-17, 04:05 PM
Verik is startled to hear the voices in his head. But hey, this is Sigil.

”Uh, thanks. Would you mind telling us who you are and who sent you or how you otherwise know about us and our recent business?”

Archmage1
2019-03-18, 06:16 PM
Surprised by the sudden mental intrusion, Eilyra looks around warily, her glowing eyes darting from dark corner to shadowed doorstep, even as her hand flashes to her sword hilt. Her mind whirls as she considers what she sees. Nothing? Except rats. Which aren't smart enough to point out the obvious. Or try to set us up as tools in a faceted war. Why is nothing ever simple.

Cardea
2019-03-21, 10:53 AM
"Not us! Not us!" the voices ring out in cacophony. "It doesn't matter who we are, we are not in agency, not like you. Listen to us. Don’t trust them. Don’t trust the angels. Tell us you don’t trust anyone, and we’ll let you go.”

BelGareth
2019-03-21, 03:18 PM
Branche, for that was what Oculali was calling himself today, sucked in the filtered air, the acrid smell of the magickal filtering upon and the tell tale sign of burnt cinnamon, at least, that's what he thought it was, it was an intriguing smell, capable of all at once making sigh in satisfaction, and vomit simultaneously, but it was something you could get used to. And miss, apparently.

Moving off, he quickly found his place, and kept his eyes down, much like surface dwellers when going underground, or vice versa, the transition to ones senses could be overwhelming, it was an old trick, to not look up, as most surfacers expected a skyline, and without one, kept moving up, and eventually, fall over, their inner ear out of whack.

Taking a side alley, he was just as disturbed as the others seemed to be when his mind was intruded upon. Stopping, he looked to the others and got the confirmation he needed that they were experiencing the same, at first, he thought perhaps a demon? some spawn he had lied to and came back for revenge? there were many Demons who could communicate telepathically.

Knowledge (the planes)
[roll0] to see if this is some kind of demonic/devilry

Does he have his pet glabrezu?

Alas, no k local, so he knows sigil, just not really....

Archmage1
2019-03-21, 03:29 PM
Eilyra, her hand on her sword, considers her options. Demanding policy statements without revealing themselves... sure, these things are definitely trustworthy. But the insane tend to go along with things if you play along, and this is not a time or place where I have the advantage in combat. So, play along, and ignore them. A pity, really, because trust is such a complicated thing. Society runs on it, but it is also, ultimately, destroyed by it.

Even as her golden eyes continuing to survey the area, the cool crisp sound of Eilyra's voice can be heard clearly over the background noise of the city. "We don't trust anyone. Not demons. Not angels. Not mysterious voices in our heads. Nothing."

Eilyra's going to continue to scan the area, looking for the source of the voice.
[roll0] Spot(Or Listen)

kinem
2019-03-21, 04:41 PM
Verik laughs. ”Guess my ideas are becoming more popular.”

PeacefulOak
2019-03-27, 06:57 PM
Nitrick

Something was strange, to the young Nezumi. He almost remembered... something. Someone running? Still, this city was a fine place and his skeletal mount felt strong and sure beneath him. His new companions sure and strong by his side, now even such a strange place as this mysterious city found behind a hole in the wall seemed safe enough.

These voices...

"Nitrick not trust not-gods, not trust not-demons. Trust friends, yes? Friends to trust. Nitrick trusted not-goddess, but should have not trusted not-goddesses. Now, not-people voices say to trust and not trust trusting. Nitrick not trust voices that say to not trust... so Nitrick should trust?" As the heavily bone-armored nezumi speaks, his voice becomes more and more confused. Suddenly, he nods decisively, sending the lizard-skull helmet bobbing. "Nitrick has decided. Trust voices, so not trust anything, including voices! No trust!"

Cardea
2019-03-30, 03:00 PM
A moment of silence comes as the voices in your heads abate, before speaking again. "Good. Go. Be safe. No trust." And the presence disperses.

Looking around, you don't see any other presence aside from the rats who leave as the voice in your head finishes. A curious thing, however, their chittering seems to be coordinated, and their brains are exposed to the air.

Archmage1
2019-03-30, 04:24 PM
Not wanting to push her luck further, and noting the departure of the rats, Eilyra continues down the dirty ally, her stride eating through the ground with surprising speed while her golden eyes sweep back and forth.

kinem
2019-03-31, 02:13 PM
Verik says as they continue walking "That was odd. Even for Sigil. I guess the Seer who started us on this path might have sent … whoever that was.

Well, the next order of business should be to head to the market. We need to sell this bulky loot, and I want to buy a hat similar to what you have Eilyra, perhaps even with a few extras. Also I need to find a stable for Scaler. A good riding lizard is hard to find here, and though it'd be cool to ride him into combat, it's not worth the risk."

ooc: Now assuming that we have been to the market and back, and done the business, so that our character sheets are now current as they do already reflect that …

"Eilyra, I think we should disguise ourselves as drow. I'm half drow, but as we saw, full drow don't always respect that. It might help loosen lips so that we can find out what going on. Nitrick, your own appearance is sinister enough that if you are hanging out with a couple of drow, I think it won't spoil anything."

Using his new Hat of Disguise, and making sure that no one but his companions seems to be currently watching, he adjusts his appearance to that of a full blooded drow wearing studded leather armor.

Archmage1
2019-03-31, 05:25 PM
Eilyra frowns at Verik's initial words, before shaking her head. Her melodically dry voice seems thoughtful, if perhaps a touch uncaring. "Not likely. If they were associated, they'd probably have mentioned it."

Throughout the trip to the market, Eilyra keeps a wary eye out, but keeps fairly quiet, beyond occasionally glaring at people who come too close, or overeager merchants.

Afterwards, as Verik being scheming, Eilyra frowns once more. "I'm afraid a passing pigeon managed to make off with my previous circlet, so I'll need a chance to study my spells again before I'd be able to disguise myself four a couple of hours or so. My heritage should serve a similar role, for the moment. It would be wise, I think, for us to find a place to prepare to face tomorrow challenges."

kinem
2019-03-31, 06:35 PM
Verik says ”So Oarsman now, or tomorrow?

For tomorrow, remember that breakfast is on me. My Horn of Plenty produces a meal with protective benefits.”

Archmage1
2019-04-06, 06:58 AM
Eilyra frowns, as she considers. Hm... The Oarsman's neutral ground, but that doesn't exactly make it safe, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone would be interested in following us out, afterwards. I can probably handle one more fight, but that's going to leave me pretty low on magic, so we'd need to come across as regulars, or at least dangerous enough to not be worth going after. Or we'd need to get the protection of a patron. We do have information that Rule-Of-Three would be interested in, and few people want to mess with him, as information's always available, but he might not be there. Should be able to determine that quickly, before entering.

After a few moments of intense thought, Eilyra's frown fades. "Best to do it now, I think. Information tends to be more valuable when fresh, and having business elsewhere should give us an excellent way to depart, without making a hassle." She pauses for a moment, before looking over Nitrick and Verik. "It might be best to let me do most of the talking. The Oarsman primarily caters to the lower planes, and it is a neutral area, so don't start a fight. I might be a second class citizen there, as a half-blood, but you two..." Her voice trails off, and she shakes her head. "Stick with me, follow my lead, and don't start anything, and we'll be fine."

kinem
2019-04-06, 10:53 AM
Verik says ”I’m the Drow, so when it comes down to drow talk, I’ll take the lead. But ... we never did find out the name of the drow who owned the journal, did we? That limits our options. Or is it in the journal somewhere?Letting Will be the one to question her seemed like a fun idea at the time, but I should have done it.”

Along with the others, and now disguised as drow, he heads to the Oarsman.

Archmage1
2019-04-06, 09:46 PM
Eilyra frowns once more. "It may be wiser to not use a magical disguise here, as it's not unknown for the denizens of the lower planes to pierce such effects without effort."

kinem
2019-04-07, 08:21 AM
Verik says "You always have to spoil my fun, don't you?

Well … even if they see through it, so what? I'm still half drow, wanting to hide the 'lesser' half of my heritage. I can roll with it."

Archmage1
2019-04-07, 08:40 AM
Eilyra shrugs as she continues walking through the donut that is Sigil, before she speaks, her voice sounding coolly controlled. "It's your choice. And we're almost there, now."

PeacefulOak
2019-04-08, 08:22 PM
Nitrick

A slight wrinkle around the skull-shrouded eye suggests a raised eyebrow as the bone-armored Nezumi gestures first to himself, then to his skeletal warhorse. "Nitrick may cause a scene, but Nitrick will defend and keep you all safe. If say not talk, Nitrick not talk." Holstering the lance, he chirrups to the warhorse as it resolutely ignores him and follows the group.

Archmage1
2019-04-09, 05:33 AM
Eilyra simply grins at Nitrick as she walks. "If they get too... persistent, you can probably pretend to be a death knight. That's probably impress them, but they won't acknowledge it. But now's the time. The Oarsman is just at the end of this street."

Archmage1
2019-04-12, 05:30 AM
Continuing her walking, with her followers following, Eilyra, at long last, approaches the Oarsman, and passes though the open door.

BelGareth
2019-04-18, 04:46 PM
Branche had been silent for a moment, and followed the others mindlessly, lost in his own thoughts of summoning a demon, he had wandered down the mental pathway of, 'which one', there were so many options, a simple dretch was, of course out of the question, he needed something formidable. No, he needed one that could think for itself, perhaps one of those nasty Vrocks, now that could be interesting, he had always wanted to summon and bind a glabrezu, but they were tricky, perhaps a hezrou? Oooh, perhaps a fiendish Girallon....

He paused and opened his eyes with a sudden expression of surprise and delight, they were at the Oarsmen!

Cardea
2019-04-25, 06:08 PM
You have found your way to the Lower Ward, a section of Sigil inhabited primarily by creatures of the Lower Planes, but also by humans and the floating dabus. You even spot occasional darting lantern archons, their light shining pure and holy through the smoke and gloom—and moving very quickly through this ward.

The Oarsman is noisy, and you see three squawking vrocks come stumbling out of the open archway that is the entranceway. Within you see barbed devils playing at cards, a beautiful human woman confidently serving goblets of wine to monsters, and a motley collection of customers. The bartender has six arms. It’s not the type of inn one could easily get used to.

Archmage1
2019-04-25, 07:02 PM
Without hesitating for a moment, Eilyra leads the way into the depths of the Styx Oarsman. Once inside, she looks around the building, looking to see who and what was there as she approaches the bar.

kinem
2019-04-25, 10:32 PM
Verik can't help but be nervous in such company, but he doesn't show it. Disguised as a full-blooded drow man in leather armor, he looks around for other drow, but lets Eilyra take the lead.

BelGareth
2019-04-26, 11:35 AM
Branche smiles at the sight that was before him. Ahh yes, devils and demons of all kinds.

I wander if any of these fine outsiders know me? He mused to himself as he followed his intrepid companions.

He looked around, and tried to recall what he knew about everything he could see.

[roll0]

Not sure if you want multiple rolls for each type?

if so:
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Cardea
2019-05-08, 02:54 PM
A bartender moves over to your spot at the bar and stands expectantly. To Eilyra and Verik, he gives a long hard glance, this Githzerai's eyes flashing blue for but a moment. But as Oculali moves to the bar, he manages a soft and small smile. "Branche." But the six armed woman comes up beside him, putting all six limbs on the counter and smiling. "Welcome, welcome. What'll it be?"

Apart from the workers here, the crowd here seems to be the typical mid-day crowd. Slow paced, easy-going, keep-to-themselves kind of creatures who, outside these walls, would be happy to trouble you. But here? Just looking to spend some silver, pass the time in relative peace.

- Glora is serving drinks today; you can't truly tell what she is, but today she looks to be a human woman with brilliant red hair.
- The vrocks are brothers, you've heard that much. You've heard the names Haggard and Slim, but you're not sure if those are names or descriptions.
- The bartender with six arms is a marilith named... Marilith. You've never learned if that's her actual name or a nickname, and you don't think she'd give you the truth one way or another.

Archmage1
2019-05-11, 08:29 AM
Taking in the crowd, noting the mix of outsiders in this place, Eilyra smiles slightly. Not kindly, but cruelly, almost in a I know something you would really, really need to know sense. Time to attract attention. But specific attention. Should Rule-Of-Three be as good as his reputation, he'll find us. If not, well, he's unlikely to be of much use, so, time to place some bait. She looks the barkeeper directly in her eyes, and directs her smile her way. Behind her, her tail flicks to and fro, betraying her nervousness. "Elderwhist wine, and an answer." None of her nervousness shows in her voice, but the almost musical tone of it seems almost out of place in the Oarsman, despite her appearance. "Will you take a message for Rule-Of-Three?"

Cardea
2019-05-21, 02:28 AM
Two of the woman's arms extend behind her, checking out different bottles, before deciding on a purple glass container with a rosy amber liquid inside of it, poured into a tall glass. "Not for free," the woman says, still smiling. "Five stingers, or do you want to tab it for you and your friends?"

Archmage1
2019-05-21, 06:18 PM
With a quick glance to Verik, Nitrick, and Oculali, Eilyra nods. "Wonderful. I'll take the tab, for now." With that said, her left hand reaches below the bar, into her pouch, and quickly emerges, holding ten ancient gold coins. "I believe this should be sufficient to cover us for reasonable expenses? And should you happen to encounter Rule, would you kindly inform him that we have some information he will be interested in?" She pauses for a moment, before smiling once more. "And please, get my allies whatever they'd like to drink." With that, she places the coins on the bar, and reaches for the glass, meaning to take a sip.

kinem
2019-05-21, 07:04 PM
Allies, is it? Well I guess that is a step up ...

”Mushroom mead, if you have it” Verik says. Does one say ‘please’ in a place like this? Somehow I doubt it ...

Cardea
2019-05-24, 10:35 AM
The Marilith gives a wide smile. "A might short of gold there, dearest Customer," she says, turning to Verik. "Do you want the kind brewed in the material plane, or do you want the one made in the Beastlands?"

kinem
2019-05-24, 07:11 PM
OOC: sense motive [roll0]

Verik smiles and tells the bartender ”I’ll try the Beastlands version, if it’s safe for drow that is.”

Archmage1
2019-05-24, 10:24 PM
Eilyra lets out a small sigh, and gives a brief look to the Marilith, almost a "You can't blame a girl for trying" look, before pulling out another fifty six gold, and setting them softly on the bar, before taking a sip of her elderwhist wine.

Cardea
2019-05-30, 03:59 PM
The Marilith smiles, a row of sharp teeth glistening behind red lips. "Well that's the kind of attention to detail we like, that is," she says, pulling the bag underneath the counter. She pulls out a bronze container, aged and scratched in years, and from its tapper pours a pint out. Copper and purple liquid swirl in the container, sloshing as its slid to you, Verik. "Of course. Different year, different mushrooms, different honeys, but still safe."

Both her and the Githzerai step away from this section of the counter, leaving you alone with your drinks. A time passes, the tavern seeing its fair share of leavers and incomers, but a solid thirty minutes pass before a different githzerai takes a seat next to you all at the bar, leaning easily onto the counter as he sips. The stool creaks quite a lot under his body, and the counter dips underneath his elbows. His clothing at first glance appears ordinary, but close up it is an intentional look. While the cut is plain, the cloth is rich, and traces of gold jewelry can be seen under his collar, hanging. "Saw you walk in, didn't know what to think. Saw you order drinks, didn't know what to think. Saw you ask for my name, didn't know what to think. Rule-Of-Three am I. What is it you want of me?"

Archmage1
2019-05-30, 04:51 PM
As the Githzerai takes a seat, and introduces himself, Eilyra takes a strategic sip of her wine. Interesting. So, this is the mask Rule-Of-Three chooses to wear? A somewhat poor job, but I suppose he wishes to be found, and finds it to be sufficient. As she puts it down, she looks directly over at him. "In our travels, we encountered some information we suspect you would be rather interested in. Perhaps we might come to an arrangement?" She takes another sip, as she waits for his response. Hm... perhaps a bit direct, but I suppose we'll need to see. Sometimes, directness works.

kinem
2019-06-01, 09:08 PM
Verik nods to the marilith and tries the planar brew. "This is good!" he notes as he savors it.

When Rule of Three arrives, he lets Eilyra do the talking, as she seems to have a plan to make money from the situation. Noting that the man is likely in disguise, he discreetly uses his detect magic spell-like ability, wanting to get a sense of whether the guy is a fellow well-equipped adventurer or not. Since it's not a spell, he doesn't have to speak or gesture to use it, so he hopes it'll go unnoticed.

ooc: spot [roll0], sense motive [roll1]

Cardea
2019-06-09, 12:32 PM
The Gith takes a moment. "Arrangement? Engagement? A deal. Your type, your disposition, your shining character don't generally come to the Lower Ward, the wrong side of Sigil, the Styx Oarsman. I like cheap beer, rough company, and rampant rumormongering. What kind of deal, information, arrangement brings you here?

Archmage1
2019-06-09, 12:40 PM
Eilyra calmly places her cup down, before answering. "Let's just say that some of your business associates are less... friendly, than you may believe." She pauses for another moment, before looking directly into his eyes. "Would that be of interest to you?"

Cardea
2019-06-09, 01:20 PM
"Talking, cavorting, discussing. You are saying a lot, but speaking to little, whispering nothing. Is there a point, a pinnacle, a conclusion?" The Gith says, raising an eyebrow and leaning on the counter.

Your detect magic pulls from him a strong aura.

Archmage1
2019-06-09, 01:36 PM
Eilyra nods. "Of course. Sadly, when selling information, too many details, well, they make it worth less, for why buy information you already have? I'm confident we can come to an arrangement. 500 gold, if, of course, the information is useful to you?" Her voice trails off, waiting to see if Rule would be willing to make an offer.

Cardea
2019-06-14, 01:00 PM
"You came to me to sell, barter, trade? If your information is useful to me, I may pay. What is it, and who did you take it from, and why did you take it from them?" Rule-Of-Three says, an annoyed pitch tinting his tone.

Archmage1
2019-06-14, 01:04 PM
Eilyra leans back, and takes another sip, before beginning her tale. "We encountered some of your other customers, and had a minor disagreement with them. Afterwards, we recovered various documents, which suggested that they had certain plans for you. As these plans were of the less then pleasant sort, it seemed to be information you would be interested in, and as we were in the area anyway..." Her voice trails off as she reaches into her bag, and produces the drow's journal.

Cardea
2019-06-25, 11:04 AM
"What happened to the drow carrying this? I hope he was dead." He says, taking a small pouch that clinks softly as its placed on the bar. "Let me read that, view that, peruse that.

PeacefulOak
2019-06-25, 11:28 AM
Nitrick

The bone-plated Nezumi chimes in. "Yes yes yes! Very dead not-alive deceased!" He nods excitedly, the plates of his spaulders and helmet rattling. "Filthy lying not-goddesses dead as dead is but isn't not alive and..." He trails off, remembering that he wasn't supposed to be talking. He takes a flask from his hip and takes a sip to cover his discomfort.

Archmage1
2019-06-25, 12:05 PM
Eilyra offers Nitrick a small smile, and nods, as she slides the tome towards Rule of Three. Her voice remains calm. "Yes, the bearer is rather dead." As she finishes sliding the book, she snags the small pouch, and sets it in front of her.

kinem
2019-06-25, 04:59 PM
Though Verik is well satisfied with his mead, the rest of the situation at hand seems less promising. It's good to get a few coins off him, but we're really here to gain information, not to sell it. If she has a plan beyond that, maybe she should have talked it over with us ...

Verik tells the triple-talking weirdo "Understandable under the circumstances. I trust that you are judicious in your death wishes towards drow. Do you happen to know any?"

Cardea
2019-07-04, 02:38 PM
"Any at all is too many, and I know more than a few, more than a handful." He says, pouring through the tome. "How do you feel about doin' some work cleanin' them up? They're all in a stir, in a tizzy, a frenzy. Material plane, Sigil, and in the Demonweb where Lolth spins her plots. I have payment, reward, gratuity if you require it, but in return I'll require in return three errands, three small tasks, three chores. And as much as I prefer my threes, I can recommend to you a fourth arm to your trio. He's a good enough man, a mortal, a contender, and he needs my coin as well."

kinem
2019-07-04, 03:00 PM
Verik tells him ”You do realize that I’m one of them, eh? So you’d better make clear just what your intentions are.”

Archmage1
2019-07-04, 03:06 PM
Eilyra leans back, the pouch of coins still on the bench in front of her, as she takes another sip of her wine as she thinks, and Verik speaks. Payment for dealing with the drow is convenient, but he hasn't specified that those tasks are specific to the drow. So, negotiate there, negotiate on price, and then if there's an acceptable agreement, we'll have a deal. When she finishes her sip, she places her glass on the bar once more, and leans forwards. "I think we can come to an arrangement. We would, of course, retain right of refusal for the errands..."

A minute or so of intense discussion follows, before Eilyra nods. "That seems acceptable. It'll be a pleasure doing business with you." At that, Eilyra leans back once more, and takes another sip of her wine.

Cardea
2019-07-22, 05:48 PM
"Acceptable, then. He's currently recovering in an alley in the Swordhold, right off Smith Street. Recover him from his stupor. Go to the Tower of the Prophet, open the Eye there, and ask how to blind the spider queen. You will find it in the Temple District, and you'd be best served not mentioning me."

Archmage1
2019-07-22, 06:36 PM
Eilyra nods. "That we can do. Now, before we retrieve and sober your agent, perhaps you could explain your disagreement with the Tower? Surely not your charming personality?"

kinem
2019-07-26, 07:56 PM
A bit miffed at being ignored by the strange man, but not averse to taking his gold for things the group would do anyway, Verik drinks his mead and lets Eilyra deal with him.

Cardea
2019-08-01, 11:01 PM
“They don’t approve of those unaligned with their alignments, you see, you know, you acknowledge. And they already know my face, and yours may be a bit sweeter.” He leans forward and away from the bar to look at Verik. “It’s not a murder, it’s a persuasion. Get the forces to look elsewhere. So they don’t stir an imbalance towards war on their terms.”

Archmage1
2019-08-02, 05:50 AM
Eilyra pockets the bag she'd been given in exchange for the diary, before finishing her wine, standing, and turning to face Rule of Three once more. Her golden eyes look straight into his as she speaks, her voice soft, and clear. "Thank you for the information. It will be quite helpful. If you can give us our payment, we'll seek out your agent, and consider the best approach to the tower."

Cardea
2019-08-19, 04:30 PM
Heading out onto the busy streets of Sigil, the smell of a thousand different cultures and creatures pervades the air. And the hustle and bustle reverberates off of the strange geometry of the city, creating its own echo chamber. But still, you navigate it with Nitrick taking the lead. He heads down Ironmonger Street, taking a right at its end, and heads into Swordhold's Smith Street. Among the houses and homes and apartments, some business names stand out. The Society of Luminiferous Aether, the Sod Dirk's Forge, the Black Sail Tavern & Inn... where you see a grungy human stepping out, his mop of hair a mess, looking rough for the wear. Despite his roughed clothing, its apparent he's no beggar: his sword is of excellent quality, and his clothing includes a mithral chain shirt, nevermind the fact that the layers of dirt and astral salt cover magical apparel. An empty bottle slips from his hand as he walks out, and his demeanor is that of someone recovering.

He is, from what you see on this street, the only human.

Archmage1
2019-08-19, 04:46 PM
Looking at the rather grungy human, Eilyra suppresses her urge to shake her head in disgust. If this is the price for working with that demon, this arrangement had better be worth it. And if this is the quality of the people working for Rule, at least we will be able to handle a double cross with ease. Instead, the half-fiend lets her burning eyes on the miserable looking human, and flicks her golden(And seemingly burning) hair behind her pointed ears as she gives him a moment or two to notice her, before she speaks. Her voice is cool, lyrical but with a hint of roughness to it. "If I were to ask how many rules there are, what would you answer?"
After she finishes speaking, she crosses her arms beneath her breasts to wait, only the flicking of her tail betraying her facade.

Eilyra has pale skin and burning golden hair. She has a seductive beauty and classic elven features. Tall, and elegant. Her gold eyes burn like bright coals, and she has large, bat-like wings emerging from her back. She also has a long thin tail, casually flicking back and forth. A ruby hilted sword sticks out from behind her head, betraying a weapon resting along her back, and her jewelry consists of A thin silver circlet, marked in ancient elven on her head(Resting above her horns), with a pair of similarly marked armbands on her wrists.
She's wearing lowcut white leather pants(Since she doesn't want to look too evil), with boots, and a white leather crop halter top held together by a silver buckle under her wings.(Turns out, it's rather difficult to not wear backless things with wings, and she doesn't need to worry about being hot or cold.)

kinem
2019-08-19, 06:36 PM
While the party walks through the streets, Verik confides to the others "Rule was generous to us, but when I look at him, I smell a … " he looks at Nitrick "... rather untrustworthy creature. I just wonder what his angle is.

As for the coin, we should probably start a fund to buy an artificer's monocle, something that should help all of us as we capture loot. In fact I can already chip in the rest of my share for that."

Upon seeing the drunken human, Verik sighs.

Archmage1
2019-08-24, 09:30 AM
Along the way
Keeping alert as she walks, Eilyra nods at Verik's comment. "Yes, I suspect he's more involved than he claimed to be. I think he's planning on using us to dispose of his enemies, before disposing of us. It's likely that any task he sets us has more to it than he'll tell us. And his final task is likely to be suicidal." She falls silent for a moment as the small group crosses a street, and turns a corner, before she continues. "We'll need to be careful. And to create our own plans. And a monocle is an excellent idea. Given time, I can probably identify what we've found, but trading gold for time is a good idea. I can look into that while you seek out the tower."

kinem
2019-08-26, 08:22 PM
Verik replied "A suicide mission? Well, you certainly know a lot about clever ways to betray people. Reminds me of home, to be honest, but this isn't the time for nostalgia."

Archmage1
2019-08-26, 08:59 PM
Eilyra sniffs in disdain at Verik's words. "That's the simplest version. Personally, I've always felt betrayal a sign of the desperate. Form mutually beneficial arrangements, be willing to end it on reasonable terms, and don't seek to make things unfair in your advantage. Long term, betrayal will never work to your advantage. If you need to spend all your time watching your allies for signs of betrayal, you should be finding new allies. For all that, some paranoia can be helpful, because a lot of people think short term. There are many more options open to our benefactor than a simple suicide mission."

kinem
2019-08-27, 08:29 AM
Verik said* ”Yeah, sure. But there’s a saying among the drow: ‘Do unto others before they do unto you.’ It’s known as the Silken Rule. Just one more Rule to keep in mind.”

*OOC: Using past tense since this conversation was had along the way.

Archmage1
2019-08-27, 08:05 PM
At Verik's words, Eilyra nods once more. "True. And like most drow sayings, it happens to be double edged. Most cultures, I've found, have a similar saying. What comes around, goes around. What you give is what you receive. And many more. Positive, or negative. The trick with betrayal is to avoid it. The hard part is avoiding it, because you won't expect it." She shakes her head, clearly not overly happy with something. At all. Her fingers seem to be clenching, as though wanting to cast a spell, or draw a blade, but her silence remains.

kinem
2019-09-04, 12:14 PM
Verik can’t argue with Eilyra’s logic, so he decides not to argue with her, either.

Upon seeing the state of the drunk human, Verik wonders ... Why did Rule tell us to include him? I thought he was a plant to spy on us, but it might just be to keep us in poor spirits ..

Verik says ”Hello, I’m Verik.

Given the, uh, circumstances, why don’t Nitrick and I take care of our errand at the tower? Elyria, you can find a place for him to ... sleep, and take care of the monocle. We can regroup at the Oarsman in about half a day.”

If there are no objections, he heads to the Tower of the Prophet with Nitrick.

PeacefulOak
2019-09-04, 02:18 PM
Nitrick

Nodding mutely, the bone-armored Nezumi guides his skeletal warhorse to follow his companion.

kinem
2019-09-04, 07:47 PM
Along the way, when no one other than Nitrick seems to be watching, Verik changes his magic-hat-based disguise. He now appears to be a blond human man wearing a plain robe.

BelGareth
2019-09-05, 11:33 AM
Jack stumbled out of the tavern, a bottle in his hand, from...last night? or had he managed to pick it up on the way out, never mind that, it didn't matter, twas empty, and of little use, he let it slide from his fingers as several strangers approached him on the street. He narrowed his eyes, trying to focus on the lady, she was Beautiful, but there was something off about her, her tone came off as arrogant, and pretentious, as if, as if he was beneath her, yes. that was it. Well, it wasn't anything he hadn't seen afore, but...maybe something else?

What was it?

She asked her question, probably some squabs Rule of Three sent his way, well well, his deal with the rogue had paid off, at least for the moment, his purse strings where a little looser as of late, and he could use a little more 'clink' to his swagger. He smiled, and bowed low, almost stumbling as he did, but he recovered well. Mostly.

"My dear Missy, I am Captai....Calico Jack, and who might you be heh?"

PeacefulOak
2019-09-05, 12:18 PM
Nitrick

As his companion's form changes from one step to the next, the bone-armored Nezumi tilts its head to the side and looks inquisitively. "New friend, why you change face?"

Archmage1
2019-09-05, 12:35 PM
Clearly unimpressed by the flashy greeting Eilyra's impatient stare continues for a few more moments, until, at last it becomes clear that Calico was finished speaking without answering her question. It seems that this Calico would fit right in with Rule's methods. But without some confirmation that this drunk is the individual we would need to work with for our agreement with Rule, I can hope to not deal with this... Calico. And still rather drunk, from his stumble. The things I find myself doing...
Her voice's cold edge seems to sharpen slightly as she speaks. "An answer calls for an answer, wouldn't you agree?" The flicking of her tail continues, its gentle arcs growing slightly as her patience is worn down by the abominable smell of the man before her.

BelGareth
2019-09-05, 01:03 PM
Jack frowned in mock desperation, raising a hand to his forehead in a dramatic pose. "But of course! Your wish is my command, such a Beauty can not be ignored, it would be terribly rude of me thrice over!" he said, with a grin and winks at her, quite obviously and directly.

Delivering secret message with Bluff DC of 15, auto pass

kinem
2019-09-05, 01:20 PM
Verik tells Nitrick ”Ah, of course you wouldn’t know.

My last face was Drow. That’s fine when dealing with evil beings like those in the Lower Ward. But among the surface-dwelling races, Drow have a bad reputation. Partly that’s because they don’t like the spiders and mushrooms associated with our home, and partly it’s all the killing and enslaving that a lot of Drow seem to engage in. When asking for help, a surface dweller makes a much more sympathetic figure.

And so, I am now Rick Sunday, typical surface dwelling human. Normally I bask in the glare of the sun, smell trees, cast shadows, feast on the abundant plants and animals that seem to carpet every square yard of the surface, and do whatever the hell else a typical surface dweller normally does. Now however, the evil yet strangely attractive Drow have invaded my home, so I have come here looking for help.”

Archmage1
2019-09-05, 01:22 PM
Eilyra sighs. Damn, this is the contact. And now I need to deal with this. Step 1: Get him clean. And, I suppose, I owe him a name. Continuing to ignore the blatant flirtation, Eilyra's voice seems a little less cold than it did before, but not by a lot. "Call me Eilyra, and it seems that we'll be working together." She seems somewhat put out by that, but she continues without missing a beat. "Now, the first steps will be getting clean, and acquiring an item or two, before we discuss the next steps. Any questions?"

BelGareth
2019-09-05, 03:07 PM
Jack smiles a genuine smile, one that could melt the heart and possibly a few bodices off, he snaps his fingers and his clothes are clean as a whistle, he moves his nose to his armpit, and winkles his face, "Nope, that won't do either" he says simply, snapping his fingers again, he takes another sniff, and nods.

"Righteo then, I'm all set as a fiddle, right as rain, and eager to go, what items are you in need of, Ms Eilyra?" he says, as he leans to the side and stairs at Nitrick and 'Rick Sunday' whom he tips his hat to with a giant refuse eating grin.

Prestidigitation

Archmage1
2019-09-05, 03:27 PM
I can see how he and Rule got along. Eilyra's trained eyes easily identify the spell as Calico casts it, and she just shakes her head before she calmly explains. "Prestidigitation can go a long way, but it's not really enough to get rid of that slept in an ally dead drunk look. A proper bathhouse can fix that. But that, at least, can wait for the moment." She pauses, clearly centering herself, before she continues, her voice a little less... explainy. Crisper. "We'll be looking for an artificer's monocle, some rope and a grappling hook, and a some decent rations. If you need any supplies, we can pick those up as well." She looks him up and down, before turning slightly and gesturing out of the alley. "Shall we?"

Possibly to Jack's disappointment, she doesn't seem to respond to his smile at all.

BelGareth
2019-09-05, 03:47 PM
"You wound me my dear lady, wounded to the heart, why, I'm not sure i will be able to recover from such a slight"

He nods and walks out of the alley, "These items shouldn't be hard to procure, what is all this for may I ask?" he finishes, as he moves off with them, letting them lead the way.

Archmage1
2019-09-05, 04:00 PM
Eilyra just shakes her head at Calico's words. "I'm sure you'll manage." This time, her tone seems rather dry, instead of cool.
Offering the departing Verik and Nitrick a brief nod, Eilyra starts heading towards the Great Bazaar, her feet moving to avoid the worst of the caked on muck of the alley. Her voice shifts back to its cooler self as she resumes talking. "We've been asked to do some favors for our mutal friend, and including you was one of the conditions. While my other allies are following up on a lead, we are going to be doing some preparation for the future, and following up on some things from the past."
She falls silent for a moment as they reach the intersection, before picking the way she thinks is most likely to lead towards the Great Bazaar. "We can discuss things in more detail once we're in a more private setting. Rumors have a way of ruining plans, after all." Her eyes look about briefly, checking for listeners before she continues, her voice striking a slightly more positive note. "However, while I am familiar with the abilities of my allies, I am not familiar with your abilities. Would you be willing to explain what you can do?"

PeacefulOak
2019-09-05, 05:29 PM
Nitrick

Nitrick listens carefully, nodding along with the flow of his companions words. Pausing when Verik has finished, he speaks. "But... why? You are strong, almost strong as Nitrick! If someone not like way you look, why care? If they try bad things, you kill them and then others will probably not try bad things. Nitrick sees little reason to hide, unless hunting. He pauses, once more tilting his skull-helmed head to the side. "Are we hunting? Nitrick is confused about what goal is right now."

BelGareth
2019-09-05, 05:43 PM
Jack saunters alongside her with ease, moving through and with the crowd, it was obvious, to anyone who cared to see, that he was comfortable with people around him, "well well well me bucko, what do I do? Well, I am a Captain, sailed the 27 Astral sea's I ave, since I was a little urchin, I was on the high sea's, an adventurin since I could see about...." he put out a hand to show how tall he was as a young lad, reconsidered, and lowered it, shook his head, and raised it back to the original height "yay high. You want to know what I am 'capable' of" he said, getting close, almost whispering. "I'm a pirate lass, a sailor without a berth, a man of the sea. eh?"

He's a bard.

Archmage1
2019-09-05, 06:07 PM
I think Nitrick and Verik are going to the temple, and Eilyra and Calico are going to the Great Bazaar, with plans to meet up later.
As a side note, I was so tempted to interpret his "I'm a pirate lass" as being literal.

Eilyra steps smoothly around debris and dirt in the street, her hips swaying and her tail swinging as she listens to Calico's words, and thinks. Her expression remains neutral, that of someone who was reading a book with useful information, but not really interesting information.
Hm... calls himself a Captain, but no ship. And recently, based on his initial introduction. That may have led him to Rule of Three, but it also offers me an opportunity. Maybe. He considers being a captain important, so getting him a ship would earn his loyalty, but that, I think, won't go far. He seeks to avoid prolonged encounters, but finds himself trapped, unable to get away, chains of his own making tying him down. Controlling him... he'll go his own way. I just need to make sure it's the way I want. So, for the moment, he is going to be reliable with small things, but given coin, he'll probably seek another tavern. A goal. Something to aim for, that gives him what he wants, while giving me what I seek. He wants a ship, so if we need to travel, acquiring one might be a step, but making sure it's from the right people... this isn't going to be easy. Now, as for skills, pirates tend to use swords, but he cast prestidigitation, and I don't think his armor's light enough to do that reliably. Showy, not precise. Bard? Probably mediocre with a sword, but armed with flashy magic, and able to inspire. Could be useful.
She leans away as he makes his final statement, a brief look of disgust appearing, before vanishing, and her voice is calmly thoughtful as she replies. "Interesting. If we were so fortunate as to have a jammer, could you pilot it? And do you have anyone after you that might cause... complications?"

BelGareth
2019-09-05, 06:40 PM
Jack sees the disgust, but was used to it, and he even reveled in it a tad.

At the mention of a ship, he lights up, "Oh aye, I can steer a ship well and true, as strange as the astral is to be true. And no, no one's after me, it's the other way around." he says, all of a sudden becoming serious, like a black cloud, the shadows drawing into him, but it was over as fast as it happened, and he was back to his cheerful self.

"What about you lot, you seem to be the leader then?"

Archmage1
2019-09-05, 07:03 PM
Eilyra tries to keep her interest hidden as a part of her plans clicks into place with an excited unreliable pirate. A pilot. Well, that will make acquiring a ship much simpler. It's always awkward to figure out how to do something new when people are attacking. She almost misses his sudden bout of seriousness, but only almost. Hm... a part of losing his ship, at a guess. He has a grudge. And, depending on who with, they may have a ship. Of course, I don't really have a major use for a jammer at the moment, but better to have, and not need, then need and not have.
She nods at his question. "Yes, I am. More of a planner, really, but needs must, of course." Her words are almost an afterthought as she thinks of how to ask the more important question. "Would I be correct in assessing that your target is the reason you find yourself ashore, in the ever-glorious City of Doors?" As she speaks, she steps daintily around a pile of dung in the street.

kinem
2019-09-05, 08:20 PM
On the way to the Tower Verik tells Nitrick "Ah, you have much to learn, new friend.

First point, in this city, Sigil, you might meet just about anyone. Most of them are not as strong as we are, but some of them are a lot stronger than us, and you can't always tell just by looking. You might meet an ancient fiend, a polymorphed dragon, or a top servant of a god. The only ones you definitely won't meet are the gods themselves. And that's because the ruler of the city, the Lady of Pain, keeps them out. Not even the gods dare to mess with her. If you breach the peace here, you might have to deal with her servants, and if you give them trouble, she might show up herself. And if she does, no matter who you are, you're dead.

Second point, is that we are seeking helpful information. We are hunting for information about how to stop whatever the bad drow are doing. It's not enough for people not to do bad things to us. We want them to also do good things for us like telling us things. And threats are not a good way to make people help us, especially if you remember the first point.

Third point, is that our resources are limited. My hat can produce disguises all day long and is easy to use. Why should I waste spells on battle if my hat can accomplish the same thing faster and easier?

Fourth point, and here is where it gets a little tricky, but it's better to avoid bloodshed when we can, even if we have to go to a little extra trouble. In the long run, that helps us have better friends and allies, and makes the world a better place. A truly greedy person should not leave those gains on the table. But it is hard to resist the more immediate gains from killing."

PeacefulOak
2019-09-10, 03:28 PM
Nitrick

Nitrick ponders Verik's comments. Eventually, after perhaps too long in quiet contemplation, Nitrick comes to a conclusion. "Life is much more complicated in the bright. Verik or other friends tell Nitrick who to kill?"

BelGareth
2019-09-10, 03:45 PM
Jack nods at the self proclaimed title grab, with just a hint of humility, obviously, not a lot, seeing as she was a demon he smiled at the odd juxtaposition.

He watches with a smile as Eilyra manages to avoid a pile of dung, there was obviously some skill in her being, and of course....she was a demon.

"Yer mighty astute for a fine looking lass, I'll give yer that; I am, in actuality, a Captain without a ship, even though it shames me to say it."

Archmage1
2019-09-10, 04:02 PM
Looking about alertly, Eilyra nods slowly while she waits for the captain to continue. Confirmation is good, but details are the key to planning. If we're working together, do I need to worry about his enemies? And how problematical are they? How useful of a bargaining chip is he?
Spinning betrayal as victory could work, but the risk would be high. Time will tell. After a few moments of silence pass, she speaks up, her voice still lightly thoughtful, that of someone considering a problem, and solutions. She continues to not react to his compliments. "Would you be willing to provide details as far as what led you to these dire circumstances?"

BelGareth
2019-09-10, 04:21 PM
"Well now, I sharn't be spilling me bilges all over the place without a little wetting o the whistle so to speak, savvy? How did a demon queen like yerself get into what...what is it you are doing?"

kinem
2019-09-10, 05:34 PM
Verick smiles at Nitrick. "That will do for now. Yes, life underground is simpler. There are more opportunities here though, both for profit and for novelty, so for now, it's the place to be.

Our task now is to find out how to 'blind the Spider Queen'. If luck favors us, we might be able to finish the job without the need for any more violence at all. Stay ready to fight though, since we'll probably have to at some point."

As the pair makes its way through the streets of the city, he notices the way that people make way for Nitrick and his mount. Without Biter by my side, I'm just not that intimidating to look at. I should pick up a scroll or two of animate dead … after we're done with the tower.

Finally they approach the Tower of the Prophet ...

Archmage1
2019-09-10, 08:45 PM
Eilyra gives the unsteady "Captain" a very long look. A very unimpressed look. "As you choose." After that, she falls silent for a moment, clearly considering her answer before she continues. "As for myself, well, a little revenge, some chances to murder things, some gains, a little of everything, you might say." Her voice is light, almost uncaring, but there's an edge to it that Calico hasn't heard before, like the iron beneath the silk glove. After that, she falls silent, choosing to look over the various creatures in the area instead.

Cardea
2019-09-27, 04:20 PM
The Tower of the Prophet

The tower is made of yellow stone and shines with inner light even during antipeak. Two sword archons guard the entryway, their eyes watchful and their straight-backed posture perfect. Clerestory windows are set just below the eaves, with a single round stained-glass window over the entryway.

Inside, the Tower of the Prophet makes you a little dizzy. The whitewashed walls seem to rotate sharply in all directions at once around a single golden construct suspended in the air above the center of the floor. This construct looks like a sphere forged in the anvils of Mechanus, but it shines brightly, and its whirring sound is barely noticeable above the noises made by its watchers and worshipers. Three bearlike wardens fully 7 feet tall stand in prayer beneath the gleaming sphere, their arms lifted and their lips moving. A human in armor with three aasimar attendants is kneeling directly beneath the golden globe.

One of the bearlike wardens approaches you. “I am Humbart. How may I serve?” he asks.

The Market Ward

If Sigil is a melding pot of all of the planar realities, the Market Ward is a concentrated dose of Pandemonium and Limbo. Merchants and vendors of sometimes deliberately falsified shapes and forms scream, chant, cast, and call out their wares, promising pain, satisfaction, deadliness, effectiveness, indignation, and any other emotion or feeling you'd need felt, and that's only as you enter into the free for all of elbow shoving and crowd shoving of the Market Ward.

Inside the Grand Market, you do find a picker of sorts, someone who runs a large carpeted tent of a shop. A kolyarut, limping and draped once over with a tattered stretch of cloth of black and bronze is arguing with a halfling, speaking the smaller humanoid's nomadic tongue. All across bolted shelves and cabinets and across the carpet, there are smatterings of items all strewn about, some for sale, some for display, and the haphazard amount of items present indicate he'll buy if its worth his investment. The halfling hands the kolyarut a small pouch, and tucks a shield, three potions, and a glowing scabbard into a bag, and squeezes past the two of you out of the tent.

The kolyarut looks at the two of you, limping across the shop, right over a particularly embellished and carved brass monocle.. "Regiment of the Spine, for your convenience, It sputters, the planar energy fueling it sputtering out the words in common. Did you have a deal to make?

Archmage1
2019-09-27, 04:55 PM
Stepping into the chaos of the market district, Eilyra hesitates for a brief moment, seemingly stunned by the sheer chaotic energy of the market. But it was a brief moment, and she started walking again almost immediately, as though she had an idea of where she was going.
This chaos must be a thief's paradise. And so many visitors, and so many tactics of the merchants... I suppose there must be something for everyone here. But there isn't the time to get distracted. Flashing coin in the open market would be an invitation, so, a shop. The prices might be higher, but less risky. Now...
As she walks, slipping smoothly through the crowd(And stomping on feet as needed), Eilyra looks around the market, looking for a shop, one that might have the things she wants... There! Smaller, run by a kolyarut, so most likely honest, not too many visitors... perhaps the unknown frightens them off? Their fear is my gain.
She deftly steps to the side as the halfling leaves, not wanting to risk starting a fight, before she enters the small shop. After the Kolyarut speaks, Eilyra nods, slowly. Her voice is calm, almost disinterested as she takes in the various goods scattered around the store. "Perhaps. We seek a few minor baubles and trinkets, and, in turn, have some similar goods to trade." Finishing speaking, the half-fiend reaches into her haversack with deliberate slowness, before she produces an item. A small doll, well crafted, dressed in a fine dress. It seems as though blood had splattered the item, but a quick gesture from Eilyra soon removes that, before she reaches in again, pulling out a fine looking painting of a herzou, bathing in a thick, red liquid. "We encountered these fine items in our travels and would be willing to sell them, but we would also be interested in a functional artificer's monocle, some fine rope with a good grappling hook, and, perhaps, some high quality rations."

We previously appraised the items in question, pegging the doll at 250, and the painting at 400 gold. We rolled fairly well, so that's probably their value. Probably.

BelGareth
2019-09-27, 06:06 PM
For once Captain Jack was quiet, he was drinking in his surrounding, sucking in the information like a sea sponge, his eyes were wide with lust, but not for want of wealth, well, physical wealth, and he stood there, left hand resting on his cutlas, and his right on his belt. His eyes widened at the blood spatter on the doll, and he smiled, nodding to the Kolyarut, he noted the limp, and something seemed....off to him, he shrugged openly, as if everyone was privy to his personal thoughts.

kinem
2019-09-27, 06:20 PM
Verik takes two careful looks at the Tower of the Prophet - one from outside, and then one from inside.

He tells Nitrick "It's probably best to let me do most of the talking."

When the bearlike warden approaches and asks how he may serve, Verik looks around in confusion. I see no food or drink on offer, so what does he mean? Oh, alright.

"Greetings, Humbart! I'm Rick Sunday, and this is my friend Nitrick. We seek advice from the, uh, Prophet on a most pressing and important matter. What must we do?"

Cardea
2019-10-04, 01:35 AM
"Why would I want a picture of a hezrou? Or for that matter, doll, recently cleaned?" He says, chuckling, the laugh strange from his metal form. "I sell and purchase things with fast turn around. What makes these so fast to go around, that you would offer them and coin for my monocle and hook, hrn?"

Archmage1
2019-10-04, 05:47 AM
With a smile(Only somewhat forced), Eilyra puts the painting and the doll away. "If you're not interested, it's your customer's loss. Now, I believe fifteen hundred gold for the pair is acceptable?"

Cardea
2019-10-17, 02:41 PM
The Tower of the Prophet

The ursine outsider's eyes glasses over with a blue sheen momentarily, before it nods. "I see. For what matter do you seek advice?"

The Market Ward

"Fifteen hundred? Fifteen hundred good if you'n got a maker and supplier, but you're buyin' streetware, and we all gotta get our coin. Seventeen fifty for the monocle alone." The merchant says, eyeing you as he turns to the monocle, and back to you.

BelGareth
2019-10-17, 03:13 PM
Calico raised his eyebrow, the quirks of this trader were becoming more and more apparent, what in the nine led this lawful creature to come be a trader of all things, and why did it demosntrate such a....colorful persona? Or was it all a sham, was it created to deal with customers, a protocol.

Checking to see if things are off, or on the up and up.

[roll0]

Archmage1
2019-10-17, 03:53 PM
Eilyra seems surprised by the merchant's rejection of her offer, but she recovers swiftly, and looks offended. Her response is swift, and her voice sharp, almost biting. "Seventeen fifty? I'd be surprised if you paid half that. The enchantment work is quite rudimentary, apprentice quality at best. I'll likely need to do some repair work before it will work reliably. Fifteen fifty for the lot."
She steps back, crossing her arms under her breasts as she looks at the inevitable, her eyes aglow with dissatisfaction.

PeacefulOak
2019-10-17, 04:11 PM
Nitrick

Having chosen to leave his skeletal mount outside after passing a near-unreasonable time considering the gleaming tower, the nezumi walking inside instead with the sound of clattering bones: a marked improvement over the clattering of hooves that would have otherwise sounded. Choosing to keep his mouth, and thus the skeletal helmet's mouth, closed he instead takes the time to take in his surroundings. Surely had he not long ago found the Black Stone Lady this would be an ideal place to find worship.

Careful attention is paid, but he makes no move to participate in the conversation at the moment.

kinem
2019-10-17, 05:34 PM
The Tower of the Prophet

The ursine outsider's eyes glasses over with a blue sheen momentarily, before it nods. "I see. For what matter do you seek advice?"

What was that? Detect evil perhaps? I guess I'm not evil, despite the company I often keep. Who knew?

Verik glances around and replies in a low volume voice "On the Material Plane, Drow are surging up from below and attacking the surface lands. Their Spider Queen is up to no good, and so to foil her plans, we want to learn how to blind her, uh, metaphorically speaking."

Cardea
2019-10-26, 10:15 AM
The Market Ward

"Repair work? Who do you think I am, a wanton peddler of found gutter trinkets? This monocle serves its owner better, serves its wearer better, serves magic better. Seventeen ought ought, lowest I go."

Its the closest to retirement that an inevitable can reach. They must always serve, but there comes times when an inevitable may want release from the pursuit. But still bound the axiomatic laws that bind them, they still find lawful pursuits. Those who desire to serve, and desire to understand the nature of chaos, often times become merchants. You're still at a loss for the hunch, however - inevitables don't maintain injuries like that.

The Tower of the Prophet

"I see. Pardon this discourse, right this way."

The bear creature guides you closer to the large object, standing out of your way to allow you a better look. Below that sphere is a tripod holding a bowl of pure gold which holds a burning flame, casting a foreboding light on the orb. Up close, you see that the eye that gives this place its name is a strange object, with a segmented, insectlike covering of brass and copper fittings. The light from the glowing altar-tripod hovers around the Eye as well, lighting up every mote of dust near it. A number of levers next to it control its functioning. One of the large bearlike archons stands beside the levers, alert and watching you. Humbart offers, from off his neck, a magic rune carved out of gold, nearly a foot in length. He offers it to you, Verik, motioning to the eye with it as he holds it to you.

Archmage1
2019-10-26, 10:49 AM
Eilyra shakes her head, frowning. "My mother would be turning in her grave were I to accept such an offer. Sixteen hundred for the lot. I'll be sure to use them in an organized fashion, none of that chaotic whenever it's convenient business."

kinem
2019-10-26, 02:15 PM
Looks like my disguise worked. But will the Prophet object? Well, too late now ...

Verik takes the gold rune that Humbart offers him, not really sure what he is supposed to do with it.

"Thank you, sir. What is the next step?"

PeacefulOak
2019-11-01, 04:57 PM
Nitrick

Talk talk talk.... Nitrick scratches under the edge of his heavy lizard-skull helmet. Deciding that imminent attack is probably unlikely, he unhooks the straps and pulls the heavy piece of bone free, tucking it under one arm. It was hard, not saying anything. But this was important, so it was best if Verik talked to the bear people and the big shiny ball.

That said... Nitrick wanders over towards the kneeling man in armor. "Excuse, you have very nice armor. Did you make it? Nitrick make this armor, very hard take long time."

BelGareth
2019-11-11, 11:38 AM
Calico smirks at Eilyra's response, not a diplomat this one, eh he though to himself.

"My good Machine, I apologize, for my compatriot here, she is not used to such communication, savvy?" he continues, "Perhaps we can come so some arrangement that would be beneficial to the both of us? I see you are a unique being of stature, What say we make you are dedicated merchant? We're bound to be back to this locale, perhaps it would be in your best interest, if you were our go to, for say...whatever we needed?"

[roll0]

Cardea
2019-12-15, 10:46 PM
The Market Ward

The inevitable squints hard at Eilyra, while listening to Calico's honeyed words, and turns his squint to him instead. "We're agreed she isn't a soft speaker, nay. Hrn. You comin' to my place, dedicated-like? Yeah... yeah okay. Sixteen ought ought, as a trial, but if I catch cobble that you've traded with another for something I could've offered, we'll come to a hard position."

The Tower of the Prophet

Humbart points to the eye itself, and looking at it with some level of scrutiny, you can see a small key slot. Once inside, the key begins to spin as the brass segments of the Eye snap back one by one, releasing a ray of light so bright it seems like a solid pillar. It points up at the ceiling, reflecting down to the pillars and making the temple floor as bright as noon. As each segment snaps away from the Eye, the light shines directly at more and more of the temple interior; when the final segment drops beneath the Eye, revealing it completely, the light touches each of you. You can’t see anything around you except as flickering shadows; solid people and pillars look transparent in this light. You feel it as a source of warmth and inquisitiveness—living light that burrows into your body to your soul. Voices echo within the light.
Somewhere nearby, you distinctly hear the scratching of a quill on paper, a sound so soft that you don’t understand how you can perceive it in such a large, noisy temple.
The sound of a quill moving over paper stops. You hear the clank of metal, and suddenly you are wrapped in black shadow, blinded. The light is gone, but you still see traces of it shining overhead. With a final clunk, even that light is gone. The world seems black, even though you see pillars and walls and creatures around you. A piece of paper in your hands shines with an echo of the vanished light.
And after a few moments, the eye closes once again, and your vision returns to normal.

The bow of beasts dissolves the taint of the corrupted,
The bitter ice hides a giant’s sword to crack Abyssal armor.
Search The Lady’s wisdom and the book of flesh,
Bide your time, and flee when the goddess shakes her web.

A pair of keys: a blackened tongue, a golden word,
Pass through three gates: serpent, darkness, stone.
Kill the queen in her black pearl, and find
Near the throne a fourth gate—home.

Archmage1
2019-12-15, 10:56 PM
Eilyra frowns, slightly, as Captain Jack chimes in, but as the merchant responds, she forces her face back to a gentle smile. Perhaps I should have arranged for Jack to handle this entire trade, as I think the merchant responded far better to his words than mine. Things to discuss in a less public setting, to be sure. However, that bargain could backfire. Too late now to create an alternative, and if push comes to shove, well, this is Sigil. So long as we make a clean escape, no one will comment too much. Not wanting to ruin the deal, Eilyra reaches into her bag, and starts producing gold coins, removed from the bag Rule-Of-Three had provided as their signing bonus. Sixteen hundred, in total, and setting them on the bench before her.

kinem
2019-12-16, 05:37 PM
Verik blinks as his eyesight begins to return to normal, and looks down at the paper in his hand.

A riddle? Well, with prophecy, I should have known! I have no idea what it means, but maybe Rule of Three will have an idea about it.

OOC: Knowledge (planes) [roll0]

He tells Humbart "Thank you. Now that we have this note … any advice on how to find out what it means?"

BelGareth
2020-01-21, 05:00 PM
Calico does a flourish of a bow to the merchant with a wolfish grin, "Tis a grand deal."

As they finish the exchange of goods, he leans sideways to the devilwoman and winks, "Where to now me Miss? Off ta the Tower then?"

PeacefulOak
2020-01-22, 11:50 AM
Realizing that the armored man is not going to engage him in conversation, Nitrick turns his attention back to his companion and this new piece of paper that appeared in his hands. Stepping up next to Verik: "Riddle is strange. Probably be clearer when closer, unless fancy light is going to explain?"

kinem
2020-01-23, 11:37 PM
Verik tells Nitrick "Maybe it will become clearer if we can follow the first clue. We will have to do some research."

Dissolves the taint of the corrupted? As someone who might well be considered corrupted by the standards of this Prophet, I'm not sure I like the sound of that ...

If Humbart can offer no more information, Verik will thank him again and take his leave.

After leaving the tower, Verik along with Nitrick will head towards the meeting point.

Along the way, Verik will find a secluded spot which no one appears to be watching (other than his ratlike companion) and change his disguise back to that of the drow.