PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed So you've achieved Pun-Pun. Now what?

SaveOrDye
2019-03-17, 09:58 AM
If you encountered a GM who - out of madness or masochism - actually let you play Pun-Pun, what abilities would you take (from official 3.5)? I see the build (if you can call a borderline-unplayable god a build) discussed often, but people rarely talk about the abilities that would be fitting

I suppose what I'm asking is: what do you think are the greatest abilities in the game?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-03-17, 10:01 AM
If you encountered a GM who - out of madness or masochism - actually let you play Pun-Pun, what abilities would you take (from official 3.5)? I see the build (if you can call a borderline-unplayable god a build) discussed often, but people rarely talk about the abilities that would be fitting

I suppose what I'm asking is: what do you think are the greatest abilities in the game?You'd basically be playing Civilizations at this point, unless you wanted to take a ton of different abilities, restrict yourself to using a subset, and then challenging yourself -- perhaps by visiting other reality-subsets of the omniverse (which is like the multi-multiverse) and, say, doing speedruns of Worm (https://parahumans.wordpress.com/) for fun.

About the only abilities you wouldn't want to take are those with downsides, like various elemental/energy weaknesses, or that one race's inability to shapeshift, or the hagunemnon's inability to not shapeshift. It's not like you have to use them all, after all.

ericgrau
2019-03-17, 10:08 AM

I suppose what I'm asking is: what do you think are the greatest abilities in the game?
All of them? But first whatever you need to shut down competing pun puns. Dig through all the methods and remove what they need to start. Then you may grab the rest of the abilities at your leisure. Isn't it one per couple rounds or something anyway? You could have thousands in a day IIRC.

Uncle Pine
2019-03-17, 10:29 AM
Related to what the poster above said, becoming a guardian of the multiverse and granting yourself an ability to become instantly and preemptively aware of any attempt to gain a NI or infinite score of any sort (ability, skill, damage, hp, CL, etc.) that isn't divination-based and cannot be shut down would be a nice start. Then whenever your Pun-sense tingles, you teleport to the creature in question and off it with no attack rolls or saves involved. Note: grant yourself such an ability beforehand, or do it on the spot. You're Pun-Pun after all. If you limit Pun-Pun to that, then it can also become a valid Watsonian explanation of why everyone in a given universe isn't attempting to gain unlimited power through any of the many RAW loops available in 3.5e - and why PCs shouldn't try doing so either.

Quertus
2019-03-17, 10:49 AM
Related to what the poster above said, becoming a guardian of the multiverse and granting yourself an ability to become instantly and preemptively aware of any attempt to gain a NI or infinite score of any sort (ability, skill, damage, hp, CL, etc.) that isn't divination-based and cannot be shut down would be a nice start. Then whenever your Pun-sense tingles, you teleport to the creature in question and off it with no attack rolls or saves involved. Note: grant yourself such an ability beforehand, or do it on the spot. You're Pun-Pun after all. If you limit Pun-Pun to that, then it can also become a valid Watsonian explanation of why everyone in a given universe isn't attempting to gain unlimited power through any of the many RAW loops available in 3.5e - and why PCs shouldn't try doing so either.

Pretty much this.

Alright I may be more lenient with certain "NI" things, like Festering Anger on a creature with a finite lifespan, for example.

Really, going Pun-Pun is - like the Playground's "play a caster" advice - just the only way to achieve certain otherwise impossible builds. I can see myself doing it to get my intended build.