PDA

View Full Version : [Spoiler] COS DM help, Amber temple

Vox Silentii
2019-03-17, 12:32 PM
So a player just picked up Staff of Frost and got the flaw.
He picked it up and the session ended there.
He is playing a Druid and has 20 Wisdom.
My question is.
He will do what it takes to go around the temple, saying yes to everything. He's not evil so he wont exactly do dirty things or go behind the other players backs.
But in the event that he becomes lawfull evil (which almost certainly will happen), would it make sense that he "pretends" not to be evil to not raise suspicion among the players, since he has 20 Wis. Just playing it cool, thinking evil thoughts.
On the other hand, after the temple he will become quite.....different.
I should also point out that he has 20 passive perception and 16 passive investigation. So the secret doors are not really that secretive...

The other PC's are a Fighter and Wizard. With Kasimir there to help them.

I talked to him and said that in the worst case scenario, you might become evil, so you need to think about that. (Downplaying it a bit)

Im wondering how i should do this with him being evil and stuff.

They have met the apprentice, haven't gone downstairs and haven't met the lich yet

Thx in advance

JackPhoenix
2019-03-17, 03:16 PM
*You* shouldn't do anything about the druid. It's up to the player to potray the changes the flaw imposes on the character.

What you should do is to enforce any rules about PvP you have at your table and if needed, explain things to keep the potential conflict between the characters from causing problems between the players.

Sigreid
2019-03-17, 07:38 PM
When my wizard got the staff he started first about doing things for the power to kick Strahd to the curb he had previously rejected. The party quickly noticed the change and destroyed the staff and hit him with remove curse.

Vox Silentii
2019-03-18, 06:34 AM
When my wizard got the staff he started first about doing things for the power to kick Strahd to the curb he had previously rejected. The party quickly noticed the change and destroyed the staff and hit him with remove curse.
The flaw isn't a "curse" per se. Unless you would rule it so. I myself wont let them do it since they can't remove a part of his personality.
But a divine intervention and wish would work

*You* shouldn't do anything about the druid. It's up to the player to potray the changes the flaw imposes on the character.

What you should do is to enforce any rules about PvP you have at your table and if needed, explain things to keep the potential conflict between the characters from causing problems between the players.
I wont tell the player what to do, i never do.
I thought about a few different responses to this and after that i thought "wait, maybe i am trying to influence him somehow or subconsciously trying to control him in the "right" direction"
So i sent him a message saying.
"You have that flaw, what you do and how you do it depends on you.
But fyi, it trumps all other conflicting flaws"

Sigreid
2019-03-18, 06:46 AM
It fits the description of a cursed magic item in the DMG, so at our table it was a curse. If there's no way to remove it, it's a prick move since it activates on touch and not attunement.

Vox Silentii
2019-03-18, 07:08 AM
It fits the description of a cursed magic item in the DMG, so at our table it was a curse. If there's no way to remove it, it's a prick move since it activates on touch and not attunement.

True, but it is Barovia, so things being unfair just....fits *cough* bonegrinder *cough*
If i quote Forest Gump
- "it happens"

Sigreid
2019-03-18, 07:18 AM
Eh, got no problem with other tables handling things differently.

Vox Silentii
2019-03-18, 07:24 AM
Eh, got no problem with other tables handling things differently.
Same. Things are and will always be different