PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Sleet Storm + Grease

Gen Melchett
2019-03-17, 01:20 PM
A goblin is in the area of a sleet storm spell and a wizard with 18 intelligence casts grease beneath him. What reflex save does the goblin need to make to remain standing, and if he succeeds and wants to move on his turn what balance check does he need to make? The grease spell description states:

The DM should adjust saving throws by circumstance. For example, a creature charging down an incline that is suddenly greased has little chance to avoid the effect, but its ability to exit the affected area is almost assured (whether it wants to or not).

But by how much would you adjust it in this case?

How many balance checks should be required and what should the DC be?

10 (as per the spell descriptions)
15 (+5 modifier to account for the severely slippery surface as described in the balance section PHB 67)
20 (adding the DCs)

I'm not sure how much to adjust the reflex save by, but I'd say only one DC 15 balance check.

Any ideas?

BowStreetRunner
2019-03-17, 04:23 PM
...15 (+5 modifier to account for the severely slippery surface as described in the balance section PHB 67)...The spell correctly describes walking within the greased area as a DC 10 check. You would only apply the Narrow Surface Modifier of +5 for a Severely Slippery surface if it was indeed a narrow surface (because they can't widen their stance for better balance).

That having been said, if they are on a narrow surface - like a ledge - then you should feel free to apply the Narrow Surface Modifiers from the PHB. Applying the Severly Slippery modifier this makes it a DC 15 check for a 7-12 inch surface, DC 20 for 2-6 inches, and DC 25 for less than 2 inches, with an additional +2 if lightly obstructed, +5 if severely obstructed, and +2 if sloped or angled.

Gen Melchett
2019-03-17, 05:39 PM
Oh I didn't notice those modifiers were only for narrow surfaces. It looks like they corrected that mistake in the rules compendium though by just calling them "surface modifiers", so a DC 15 balance check seems right. Still not sure about the reflex save though.