PDA

View Full Version : Optimize MAD build

Rad.benchman
2019-03-17, 03:26 PM
I have a ridiculous nish character I’m currently playing and looking on how better to optimize him. The DM is lenient and allowing me to make the modifications to do it. The idea is to be able to sneak up on mobs and lock them down in darkness wile I pummel them down. Or to go from mob to mob taking out the fodder wile the group takes on the main boss. I’m taking this from the how to build Batman thread posted a year ago. He’s fighter 1/rogue 2/ warlock 2/ monk 2. The fighter is for the con save to maintain concentration and tunnel fighter from UA. Human V with sentinel. Warlock for dark vision, hex and wrathful smite (went Hexblade) Roge is for expertises in stealth and disengage, and monk going shadow for the darkness and the ability to cast darkness on let’s say a knife, throw at a target and shadow jump to that target. When I get to the appropriate lv of monk at lv 11. He’ll only have 3 asi’s one of which I plan on going SS to negate the range incriment for throwing daggers. With the range on shadow jumping at 60 ft that works. With a charisma of 14 the dc for wrathful smite isn’t great but with the occasional flurry of blows should offset that some. For the times darkness won’t be an option.
I realize I’m trying to do way too much. But it’s a buil I would like to at at least try. He’s currently lv 7. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Citan
2019-03-17, 06:17 PM
Hi!

Well, there are a few things troubling me to be honest.

First, why Sentinel? If you are grappling them, they shouldn't be able to move. Or maybe I misunderstood?

Second, why throw a dagger? As a Monk you can use Javelin with DEX, it's already a 10 feet increase. I don't think you should aim for Sharpshooter just for that gimmick.

Third, why pick a second level in Rogue if you already expect to use a bonus action on Flurry, teleport, or additional weapon throw (if dual dagger)?
Especially since you don't want to leave from enemy, you rather want enemy to leave from you instead.
-> IMO you will have enough chances to use bonus action otherwise to not bother with Cunning Action: you don't need to Hide really since you'll already get advantage from vision, Dash can be expected to be redundant with teleport, and Disengage as said may go against your will of keeping enemies close to you in Darkness. So imo it's better to instead push Monk further earlier: you can still Disengage as a bonus action for a Ki if you really need it.

Apart from that, I don't think there is much to optimize, unless admitting a race change to get an Unarmored Constitution based on CHA (exists?) or CON (does exists) so you can then just pick Hexblade patron and use CHA for everything.

djreynolds
2019-03-17, 07:39 PM
I've played a ranger/paladin.... You don't need to be optimized in 5E to succeed