PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Religion

KyleG
2019-03-18, 02:56 AM
Ok so I may have bitten off more than I can chew with another pc in our campaign.
A paladin from another adventuring party (two partys combined now) asked me as forge cleric to craft some armour. DM approved process we role some dice all good. One of The conditions was that I would add some gold designs. On each pauldren I added a gold anvil. Sweet no problems. He then asked me to add a gold fist to the breast. As a player I thought cool heres my chance for a little roleplay fun and as a character He imagining an awesome golden fist.
But when he stood back it seemed his relationship with the good gods (cleric of Moradin/garl glittergold) meant that another gold anvil was designed. Although confused at first he felt a sense of pride.

Now the paladin (Not the player who thought it was,brilliantly played, haggled) was none too impressed and our next session may see our forged (pun intended) relationship put to a battle of the gods.

I intend to play it like "it seems the gods are suggesting a different path" and try and role play some reason perhaps even offer back payment as I havent delivered what was asked for...But I suspect we may fight....am I screwed? Both at level 5.

Unoriginal
2019-03-18, 03:34 AM
So, two benevolent clergymen, who have a common purpose, are currently on the same quest, and respect(ed) one another, could come to blow because of a bloody tiny gold ornament?

*slow claps*

Congratulation, those two are probably the pettiest D&D characters that I've ever heard about. At least the Paladin is, if he's so likely to beat up a smith who's willing to give back the money.

Seriously, though, the premise makes little sense to me. A god of the Forge would have better thing to do that force the wrong design on an armor. Better things to do, like a smith actually doing the job they're hired for.

KyleG
2019-03-18, 04:10 AM
So, two benevolent clergymen, who have a common purpose, are currently on the same quest, and respect(ed) one another, could come to blow because of a bloody tiny gold ornament?

*slow claps*

Congratulation, those two are probably the pettiest D&D characters that I've ever heard about. At least the Paladin is, if he's so likely to beat up a smith who's willing to give back the money.

Seriously, though, the premise makes little sense to me. A god of the Forge would have better thing to do that force the wrong design on an armor. Better things to do, like a smith actually doing the job they're hired for.

Garl is a trickster god and his hand also works thru the Cleric. Im going to suggest that perhaps between him and Moradin surely they would oppose Bane (i am assuming with the clenched fist design requested) and this could be sending a message to his disciple to change his ways.
Regardless it all seems like a little bit of fun to us as players if not to us as characters.

Having now had a chance to look at my already prepared options im thinking heat metal his scythe and go from there as i know that is also his spell casting focus so hopefully he will drop it. As his armour is currently lying on my forge his AC is going to be significantly lower, then again so is mine. But without a weapon i might be able to calm him down. And although i will try to return to a sense of peace i fear it be him or I. We are both going to bring new characters just in case things go to far.

Unoriginal
2019-03-18, 06:55 AM
Garl is a trickster god and his hand also works thru the Cleric. Im going to suggest that perhaps between him and Moradin surely they would oppose Bane (i am assuming with the clenched fist design requested) and this could be sending a message to his disciple to change his ways.
Regardless it all seems like a little bit of fun to us as players if not to us as characters.

Fair, but isn't the clenched fist the symbol of a couple benevolent gods?

If the paladin is servant of an evil deity, the whole situstion makes more sense.

Having now had a chance to look at my already prepared options im thinking heat metal his scythe and go from there as i know that is also his spell casting focus so hopefully he will drop it. As his armour is currently lying on my forge his AC is going to be significantly lower, then again so is mine. But without a weapon i might be able to calm him down. And although i will try to return to a sense of peace i fear it be him or I. We are both going to bring new characters just in case things go to far.

Well, what's funny is that it's your classic "murderhobo wants to kill the shopkeep 'cause they felt insulted" situation, except this time the shopkeep is a PC.

But given that you are a blacksmith, in a forge, and the Paladin would be much more dangerous if allowed to pick up his weapon/focus, plus the fact heat metal might just heat the blade and not the shaft of the weapon, I would instead focus on attacking the weapon and use the rules in the DMG to break it.

Plus it'd look awesome.

As a DM I would give your Cleric advantage for the attempt, given the circumstances.

ImproperJustice
2019-03-18, 07:19 AM
Could your Cleric not go back and modify the design to show the Clenched Fist holding a smith hammer over the anvil?

Thereby showing that this armor and your mission has been blessed by an alliance of these two deities? And perhaps, allowing the possibility that this armor could one day become a mighty artifact of legend?

KorvinStarmast
2019-03-18, 02:13 PM
Now the paladin was none too impressed and our next session may see our forged (pun intended) relationship put to a battle of the gods.
Oh, for goodness sake. The anvil is like the guy on the polo pony, or the little alligator, or the many colored shark - on a golf shirt.

It's a logo. The Paladin has designer armor. His holy symbol is on his shield. Someone needs to tell this walking, talking fashion emergency to clue up and flaunt his haute couture threads! He's the best dressed paladin in the realm. :smallcool:

As said, with significant exasperation, by the jealous bard who can't wear heavy armor ...

2D8HP
2019-03-18, 08:02 PM
Oh, for goodness sake....

I imagine that well placed rant as voiced by Brad Bird as "Edna "E" Mode" in The Incredibles

KyleG
2019-04-01, 05:22 AM
Well it went to hell in a basket. The DM cleverly had the entire party attacked at this time by a whole host of nasties, and divine energy came down and partitioned off the paladin and cleric in a domed arena of sorts. From their he ran two battles simultaneously and did well. The cleric (me) got reduced to half HP after the first strike but some lucky rolls kept me running and dealing damage for the next few rounds. Each round imploring the Paladin to see reason. by round 4 i was taken to 0 but relentless endurance shook me back to 1. But it wasnt enough and i was soon dealt a death blow, but not before the dm gave a few gold scales to the dragonborn paladin when i made a last ditch effort to call for assistance.

As it turns out the Paladin was of Vengeance not conquest and honoring the battle and the well crafted armor he would soon wear he lay on hands bringing me back. Awake and with the dome darkening i stumble over to the armor I asked the Gods to consider a new alliance at least for the time being and waving my hand across the armor the image changed to a fist outlined in gold. The dome shattered into large diamonds one dropping upon my shoulder and seemingly flattening into my skin leaving a large black fist like pattern. The divine energy sent out a wave clearing the remaining zombies that the rest of the party had been fighting (had to wrap up the night).

Was a lot of fun.