PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin Oath of the Patriot [PEACH]

nickl_2000
2019-03-18, 07:04 AM
I honestly don't know what caused me to write this, I think it was more of a wondering if I could do it more than anything else. Here it is though, the Paladin Oath of the Patriot, a paladin oath based on slogans and phrases from the American Revolutionary/Civil War.

Tenets of the Patriot
Life - Life is sacred, it must be protected. One sound consider their actions before taking a life.
Liberty - We were made free to be free. No one should be unjustly imprisoned.
Pursuit of Happiness - It is the desire and right for all sentient creature to be able to pursue happiness. Anyone who is standing in the way of that pursuit must be stopped.

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
United We Stand, Divided We Fall - As an action, you present your holy symbol. All allies that can see you within a 100 ft radius immediately gain your paladin level in temporary hitpoint and can move up to half their movement speed towards you without provoking attacks of opportunity.
His truth is marching on- As an action, you present your holy symbol which glows under a 15 foot radius of holy light for 1 minute. A creature that can see the light and is inside the radius is under the effect of the Zone of Truth spell.

Oath of the Patriot Spells
3rd - Compelled Duel, Heroism
5th - Aid, Continual Flame
9th - Beacon of Hope, Daylight
13th - Freedom of Movement, Guardian of Faith
17th - Hallow, Flame Strike

These Colors Don’t Run
Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you can’t be moved or required to use their movement through any physical or magical effect.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

I Have Not Yet Begun to Fight
Starting at level 15, when you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. During the next turn, you gain a moral bonus to all attacks granting you an additional 1d8 of weapon damage on every strike. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short rest.

Live Free or Die
At level 20, while you are conscious, you are considered permanently under the effect of the freedom of movement spell.

Marcotix
2019-03-18, 10:04 AM
I was actually thinking of making a paladin version of my Freedom Domain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583280-Cleric-Domain-Freedom&p=23784053#post23784053) cleric:

But now I don't have to! They are similar thematically, if not mechanically. I like the overall balance of these features, though I'm not familiar with zone of light. I would maybe buff the these colors don't run to include advantage against fear effects (unless that was the idea)?

I have not begun to fight may need a bit more ommph as well, perhaps your next healing spell is maximized & / you gain more hitpoints?

Also, his truth is marching on is civil war, not revolutionary.

Overall I'd say this is pretty good, and looks like a lot of fun! Let us know how it goes if you end up playing it.

nickl_2000
2019-03-18, 11:19 AM
I was actually thinking of making a paladin version of my Freedom Domain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583280-Cleric-Domain-Freedom&p=23784053#post23784053) cleric:

But now I don't have to! They are similar thematically, if not mechanically. I like the overall balance of these features, though I'm not familiar with zone of light. I would maybe buff the these colors don't run to include advantage against fear effects (unless that was the idea)?

I have not begun to fight may need a bit more ommph as well, perhaps your next healing spell is maximized & / you gain more hitpoints?

Also, his truth is marching on is civil war, not revolutionary.

Overall I'd say this is pretty good, and looks like a lot of fun! Let us know how it goes if you end up playing it.

I will admit, I had read your Freedom Domain before writing this. I'm sure it got the juices running around in my head to make this subclass.

Zone of Light should have been Zone of Truth. I fixed that, thanks for noticing.

These Colors Don’t Run I didn't do anything with advantage against fear because of the 10th level Aura of Courage making you immune to fear affects. I didn't want to step on the overall power of that feature. I am open to other idea to give it a little more oomph though.

I Have Not Yet Begun to Fight - So Oath of Ancients gets almost this exact ability, but it also makes it so you can't be aged magically/no drawbacks of age. Effectively it's the same ability. I gave it extra damage on the next turn following using this ability. It is something that will be used at most once a day, but it boosts it just a little bit.

Marcotix
2019-03-18, 11:24 AM
I will admit, I had read your Freedom Domain before writing this. I'm sure it got the juices running around in my head to make this subclass.

Zone of Light should have been Zone of Truth. I fixed that, thanks for noticing.

These Colors Don’t Run I didn't do anything with advantage against fear because of the 10th level Aura of Courage making you immune to fear affects. I didn't want to step on the overall power of that feature. I am open to other idea to give it a little more oomph though.

I Have Not Yet Begun to Fight - So Oath of Ancients gets almost this exact ability, but it also makes it so you can't be aged magically/no drawbacks of age. Effectively it's the same ability. I gave it extra damage on the next turn following using this ability. It is something that will be used at most once a day, but it boosts it just a little bit.

Well thought out - for these colors don't run maybe specify that you don't run away when frightened? that may be closer to what i was thinking. Thought it would depend on ruling - if you run away because of dragon fear would you call that forced movement? Some interpretation required.

Well if that ancients have that same ability then its probably fine.

nickl_2000
2019-03-18, 11:37 AM
Well thought out - for these colors don't run maybe specify that you don't run away when frightened? that may be closer to what i was thinking. Thought it would depend on ruling - if you run away because of dragon fear would you call that forced movement? Some interpretation required.

Well if that ancients have that same ability then its probably fine.

I consider that fear effects are forced movement since "a creature must take the dash action and move away from you by the safest...." However, I will re-phrase to make it a little more clear. Does this work better in your mind?

These Colors Don’t Run
Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you can’t be moved or required to use their movement through any physical or magical effect.

That should include grappling, shoving, fear, infestation, any bardic spells, etc.

Marcotix
2019-03-18, 02:15 PM
I consider that fear effects are forced movement since "a creature must take the dash action and move away from you by the safest...." However, I will re-phrase to make it a little more clear. Does this work better in your mind?

These Colors Don’t Run

That should include grappling, shoving, fear, infestation, any bardic spells, etc.

There we go!