PDA

View Full Version : DM Help i want to run a pokemon dnd 5e game

Joran0100
2019-03-18, 07:10 AM
ok i want to run a pokemon dnd game first as a one off and then if it goes well maybe an entire campaign, i have monster sheets for the pokemon but i cant seem to find a good conversion thatll work for the classes does anyone know of a good conversion sheet for this ?

ImproperJustice
2019-03-18, 07:15 AM
Hmmmm.

There are a couple of really good Pokemon RPGs out there.
Including ones based off the TV show using the apocalypse engine and PCs are based off charicatures from that show.

Or there is a pretty good swords and sorcery one that is a little dark but I think is D&D based. I don’t remember the name but it was featured in the One Shot Podcast by James D’Mato (sp?), in his 2018 lineup of shows.

You might be able to get at look at either of those and adapt them to your own needs.

Unoriginal
2019-03-18, 07:17 AM
Trying to use 5e, or any edition of D&D, for a Pokemon game is just going to be painful. The two are too different to be put together without chaffing. You're better off with a different system, probably something rule-light.

Now if you just want to play the D&D kind of adventures but with pokemons in it, it'd be different.

Throne12
2019-03-18, 08:50 AM
ok i want to run a pokemon dnd game first as a one off and then if it goes well maybe an entire campaign, i have monster sheets for the pokemon but i cant seem to find a good conversion thatll work for the classes does anyone know of a good conversion sheet for this ?

What do you mean by playing pokemon. Do you want to follow the games? Where the PC's have to go from city 1 to city2 then city 3 go around city 4 to city 5 then back to city 4.

Or do you want to use the pokemon world and let your PC's run around doing what ever they want.

But it doesnt matter what you pick. Because in pokemon its about the pokemons leveling. And not the trainers. And the way d&d rules and system has nothing to use for pokemon level then evolved.

What I would do is look at the systems that has pokemon games or just wing it and make rules when needed.

Dungeon-noob
2019-03-18, 09:13 AM
I actually have a homebrew for pokemon in 5e that i think is fairly oke, but i can't find the small reddit thread i recall getting it from. It's fairly mon-focused, with a lot of space for DMs to write their own stories. Covers all the pokemon from the first two gens. I could try sending it if that'd help.

*edit* Nevermind, here is the whole reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pokemon5e

Millstone85
2019-03-18, 09:26 AM
The lazy approach to "5e D&D Pokémon" would be to reflavor the playable races (fire dragonborn are charmanders, wood elves are chikoritas, or whatnot) and let them take the various classes. Bonus points for Inquisitive Pikachu.

From there, players could be trainers with 2-3 pokémons each (good if you have 3 or less players), or players could be pokémons working under an NPC trainer. Either way, trainers don't have any class levels of their own.

Fiskco
2019-03-18, 11:39 AM
I would look at a few of the existing classes for reference.
First of all, find familiar is one way players would be able to get a companion.
second, spells like conjure animal, or summon lesser demons offer an idea of what CR creatures the PC's can summon on their turn.

I would reccomend having everyone play a druid, with the possibility to conjure animals (you could flavor this as them summoning one of their captured pokemon), or using wildshape to turn into the creature they've caught

masterjoda99
2019-03-19, 12:51 AM
So then my question for this becomes: How do you make Mewtwo or Lucario as characters?

Unoriginal
2019-03-19, 04:21 AM
So then my question for this becomes: How do you make Mewtwo or Lucario as characters?

Fey Warlock for Mewtwo, Sun Soul Monk for Lucario.