PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Does a Shadow Blade spell qualify as the Warlock's summoned Pact of the Blade weapon?

Optimus21
2019-03-18, 03:28 PM
The reason I bring up the question is there has been some interesting tweets by Jeremy Crawford that seems to possibly open the door for this interaction.

Jeremy Crawford (Lead D&D Rules Designer) stated this via twitter: "The Hex Warrior feature is intentionally worded to extend its benefit to two potential weapons: the weapon you touch and a pact weapon you conjure."

More Jeremy Crawford: "When we wrote "every pact weapon" in Hex Warrior, we really meant every pact weapon. #DnD"

For clarity, I am not referring to the weapon you need to do the ritual for; this is the Pact of the Blade weapon feature you summon.

So, my question is can the Shadow Blade weapon you conjure be used as your pact weapon and thus benefit from Hex Warrior (or is the Shadow Blade spell dead weight for a Hexblade)?

JackPhoenix
2019-03-18, 03:31 PM
No. Ten char

Vogie
2019-03-18, 03:34 PM
No.[/COLOR]

Basically.

What Crawford is saying is you could theoretically have Shortsword (or hand crossbow, or whatever light weapon) that you touch with Hex Warrior, and then a shortsword you summon as a pact blade, and both you can use Hex warrior's Cha-substitution while dual-wielding.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-18, 03:35 PM
No.

To expand on that, the duration of shadow blade is 1 minute (concentration). Pact of the Blade (PHB. 108) states:
"You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon [...] over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest."

So you can't make the Shadow Blade last long enough, and there's no real ruling determining what would happen if it did. You go to summon it, but the spell is already over, so...what happens?

Dr. Cliché
2019-03-18, 03:50 PM
I'd allow it as DM, but RAW it doesn't work.

Optimus21
2019-03-18, 04:38 PM
Basically.

What Crawford is saying is you could theoretically have Shortsword (or hand crossbow, or whatever light weapon) that you touch with Hex Warrior, and then a shortsword you summon as a pact blade, and both you can use Hex warrior's Cha-substitution while dual-wielding.

Thank you all for your answers. I thought there might be some wiggle room with his tweets since you are summoning a weapon via Shadow Blade/Pact of the Blade.

Millstone85
2019-03-18, 04:50 PM
Thank you all for your answers. I thought there might be some wiggle room with his tweets since you are summoning a weapon via Shadow Blade/Pact of the Blade.When you are summoning a weapon via shadow blade, it has nothing to do with Pact of the Blade.

MeeposFire
2019-03-18, 07:59 PM
Unfortunately you are not summoning a pact blade with shadow blade but rather using a spell to create a shadowy weapon. They do not interact with each other.