PDA

View Full Version : 5e Monk unarmed ranged attack

HamsterKun
2019-03-18, 09:57 PM
How would you guys work an unarmed ranged attack for the Monk class? As in, a ki blast kind of attack?

JNAProductions
2019-03-18, 10:15 PM
See Sun Soul Monk. Xanathar's Guide To Everything.

HamsterKun
2019-03-18, 10:29 PM
See Sun Soul Monk. Xanathar's Guide To Everything.

I see.

Though, I was more thinking of a universal feature that would have abase cost of 1 Ki Point but you could pump more Ki Points into it for more damage.

JNAProductions
2019-03-18, 10:51 PM
I see.

Though, I was more thinking of a universal feature that would have abase cost of 1 Ki Point but you could pump more Ki Points into it for more damage.

Eh... I don't think it's needed. A shortbow doesn't eat valuable Ki, and if the damage is really high enough to warrant the Ki, then it's probably too good.

Honestly, I'd be totally fine with giving a Monk a Martial Arts die ranged attack with the same stats as a shortbow (well, 1d4 damage until they get a d6 for their MA die) and just let it be their Ki blasts, in a more anime game. In a more grounded game... Probably not.

Vogie
2019-03-19, 09:13 AM
I mean, you could make the dart or sling a base monk weapon. But a generic monk guy or bareknuckle fighter doesn't have a "kamayamaya" mode.

clash
2019-03-19, 10:02 AM
Kensei also gets a at least one ranged weapon as a monk weapon. It's not base class but there are a few existing options.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-19, 12:27 PM
I see.

I mean, that's kinda what it already does. You can pump more Ki into it for more shots, or you can pump a whole lot of Ki into your powerful finishers, like your upgraded Burning Hands or your super Ki-Fireball thing.

RForgione
2019-03-19, 04:51 PM
If you want to keep homebrew feel, why not go full Street Fighter Dhalsim and affix a Ki (I would think 1 would suffice) cost to grant your unarmed attacks reach until the end of the character's turn?

twistedraja
2019-03-19, 05:37 PM
you could have it be something like spending ki to gain reach, with spiritual projections of the unarmed strikes reaching out and striking enemies from afar.

Vogie
2019-03-20, 07:57 AM
If you want to keep homebrew feel, why not go full Street Fighter Dhalsim and affix a Ki (I would think 1 would suffice) cost to grant your unarmed attacks reach until the end of the character's turn?

Or something like a ki-powered Shillelagh variant, that gives clubs and quarterstaves the reach ability for 1 minute. Because Nunchucks.

RForgione
2019-03-20, 08:54 AM
you could have it be something like spending ki to gain reach, with spiritual projections of the unarmed strikes reaching out and striking enemies from afar.

That mental image is awesome btw. I feel like that would make for a really cool monster attack personally.