PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #302 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-04-07, 11:01 PM
New comic is up. Happy New Year.

Brickwall
2006-04-07, 11:03 PM
I know this won't be the first post.

I'm so glad the WOOHOO joke was brought back up. This comic was great. Nice dragon, too.

EDIT: I didn't get simu-posted. Wow. *shock*

GoGoHalfElfRanger
2006-04-07, 11:04 PM
Elan and a parade... why hasn't this happened sooner? And woot!

Oppolo
Huzzah for the Banjo cameo! :D

Zargon
Elan is naked again! He know how to party (and into scandals)!
Great strip - and the mysterous plots not yet revealed (dun dun DUN)

Lloyd
2006-04-07, 11:05 PM
Woot! Hurray for the partying!

I also knew that we hadn't seen the last of Elan's special invisibility. I love how all the girls watching have smiles on their faces. And scoring an invitation from a girl in the last pannel? GASP!!! WHAT WILL HALEY THINK?!

Nice way of getting back to the main action without a whole ton of action, Giant.

WildBill
2006-04-07, 11:05 PM
Aww, Elan is so hysterical.
A time for new plotlines was great too.
EDIT: And Hinjo seriously needs some ranks in spot

khalid
2006-04-07, 11:06 PM
yey happy new year \o/

GnomishSubmarine
Elan got popular very quickly. I can't imagen how in such a short time he was able to have so much fun and cause so much trouble for poor Hinjo.

Winged One
What would Elan do if he put Invisibility on his spell list? ::)

spectralphoenix
2006-04-07, 11:07 PM
Funny, looks like Haley will have to reprimand Elan after this. I seem to remember her not being to thrilled about the "Sam" incident.

The Glitter Ninja
Great strip! Someone unpixel it, quick! Just kidding. I have been waiting weeks to see what Elan would do when he went out on the town.

Also, hooray for Banjo!

Umbral_Arcanist
Naughty Elan..... the nice lawyers told you to keep your clothes on............

That was a good one giant, liked Hinjo's obliviousness..... and Elan's increasingly wacky antics.

EDIT: a first pager? WOOOOO,this is a stragnly satisfying sensation.....

Knight13
Wow, I wish I could score hotel room invitations from chicks by simply running around naked, yelling about how I'm invisible. ;D

luilupino
2006-04-07, 11:08 PM
Rich, you have to name thsi strip " Elan going Wild "
Great work !!! It's a pity that Hin couldnt enjoy outdoors (but maybe he will inside the girl's room)
Yay 1st page!!!

Mizak
2006-04-07, 11:08 PM
Woo I'm Invisible!!!!!!!

Ack! missed 1st page by ( ) that much....

Jaxinator
2006-04-07, 11:09 PM
HA! Go Elan! Bet Haley will be bummed she missed out on that one :D

The lady passing her key to rm 115 may be a pin-cushin (sp) by the end of the night though if Haley finds out...or maybe Elan will be instead - remember her reaction to samantha?

And I see Banjo is out making friends with Monkey too. Heh tryin to get in on the Pantheon

Annalia
2006-04-07, 11:11 PM
Oh yeah! We got to see Invisible Elan again! ;D

Emericol
2006-04-07, 11:15 PM
Nice demonstration of "ignorance is bliss" in more ways than one.

Dhavaer
2006-04-07, 11:16 PM
I wonder if Elan will go to room 115.

Gamaliel_the_Bard
2006-04-07, 11:16 PM
WOOOT!!

Bards know how to have fun no matter where they are, or who they're with, Yeah!

Bards: just add people for non-stop entertainment.

Thanks Giant!

starwoof
2006-04-07, 11:17 PM
Is that a color other than blue, black, or white I see on that dragon thingy?

Gasp! It is!

Woo Im invisible!

R2Keen2
2006-04-07, 11:18 PM
Wooooo! I'm Invisible..

Genius, pure Genius pulling that out of the archives.

Nightmarenny

The lady passing her key to rm 115 may be a pin-cushin (sp) by the end of the night though if Haley finds out...or maybe Elan will be instead - remember her reaction to samantha?

And I see Banjo is out making friends with Monkey too. Heh tryin to get in on the Pantheon
Considering Elans Cha and Int she might just be a pin cushin before Haley finds out. ;)

(Bet this wont be the last dirty joke in this thread. ;)

Jothki

Hmm, Elan seems to have no clue about Haley's feelings...

Swashbuckler
2006-04-07, 11:19 PM
"Wooo! I'm invisible!" ;D ;D ;D ;D

That was just hilarious ... can't wait to see if word gets back to uncle Shojo about this one!

Nightmarenny
2006-04-07, 11:20 PM
I love how Elan very non-chalontly takes the keys like its no bog deal.

n11
2006-04-07, 11:21 PM
Elan must have invested a feat in "quick costume change". He seems to have dressed (and undressed) himself very fast.

He may be the naive member of the party, but shy he is not.

Dragonmaster_Crono
2006-04-07, 11:25 PM
That was great. :D I loved the southern new year, and Elan's stealth party skills. Also, the hint of new plotlines was cool too. What will they be? :o

oowatie
2006-04-07, 11:25 PM
"Woo! I'm invisible!"

Nice one, Mr. Giant. ROFLMAO!!

Flak_Razorwill
2006-04-07, 11:28 PM
Somehow, I knew the words "Elan" and "Spring Break" just match so well.

Gung Hay Fat Choy, from 2 months ago!

EDIT: Hinjo really seems to be a party pooper this time. He really seemed so nonchalant the last few times.

(PS: Asian chicks always seem to dig white guys. It never fails...)

jmaccabeus
2006-04-07, 11:28 PM
"Bring a friend"

Hmmm... Roy? Belkar? (Haley?) She'd probably have been better off not saying that part...

...of course, she'd probably have been better off without saying any of it. ;)

Tomada
2006-04-07, 11:29 PM
I MUST say something for Elan:

SCORE!

Deuce
Aww, Elan is so hysterical.
A time for new plotlines was great too.
EDIT: And Hinjo seriously needs some ranks in spot

He's just trying to fit in with all of the other Paladins :)

Jaxinator
Hmm, Elan seems to have no clue about Haley's feelings...

Nope, but then he really doesn't need to have a clue for her to get all mad and whatnot ;p

TinSoldier
2006-04-07, 11:30 PM
Many chuckles as usual, Giant.

Poor Hinjo. He just really can't let loose, can he? :( Must be a "Class Feature."

Jaxinator
2006-04-07, 11:31 PM
And Hinjo has the Oblivious to Surroundings feat. Totally failed his spot and listen checks heheh

exploding_brain
2006-04-07, 11:31 PM
Wow, I wish I could score hotel room invitations from chicks by simply running around naked, yelling about how I'm invisible. ;D

That only works with the following conditions.

1. Total party atmosphere

2. Minimum charisma 18

3. Complete innocent ignorance of the consequences of your actions

4. Be in a FREAKING COMIC STRIP

;)

(Slightly) seriously, remember, Elan's cha is at least an 18. He can get away with a stunt like that like Brad Pitt could get away with it.

jmaccabeus
2006-04-07, 11:33 PM
That only works with the following conditions.

1. Total party atmosphere

2. Minimum charisma 18

3. Complete innocent ignorance of the consequences of your actions

4. Be in a FREAKING COMIC STRIP

;)

(Slightly) seriously, remember, Elan's cha is at least an 18. He can get away with a stunt like that like Brad Pitt could get away with it.

5. It's a celebration. How much alcohol do you think has been making the rounds?

(Which explains why Elan fits in so well--having his intelligence is like being drunk 24-7) ;)

Josh_Kablack
2006-04-07, 11:38 PM

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
:P

soozenw
2006-04-07, 11:41 PM
elan invisible is the best part of my day. thanks rich. :-*

and if i didn't have a boyfriend...that would actually probably work on me...i love a man with a sense of humor (and a love for oots!)

AzSteven
2006-04-07, 11:43 PM
hehehe - well, I am surprised the parade group was not hauling around a Blue Dragon...

Devoured_Dude
2006-04-07, 11:43 PM
Elan is the man!

At least, that's what my de-blurring filter says.

Full Monty with the 18 Charisma! Is he trying to cause a riot?

Randomnesh
2006-04-07, 11:45 PM
This surely qualifies as one of the awesomest strips ever. Glad we got to see a festival--Asian celebrations are really cool. :)

Glad to see Elan's making some new friends.

Tomada
2006-04-07, 11:46 PM
This surely qualifies as one of the awesomest strips ever. Glad we got to see a festival--Asian celebrations are really cool. :)

Glad to see Elan's making some new friends.

What's this Asia you people keep talking about?

and...

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Argus
2006-04-07, 11:48 PM
"Bring a friend"

Hmmm... Roy? Belkar? (Haley?) She'd probably have been better off not saying that part...

Well, if asked to choose a friend, is there really any doubt about the one Elan would pick?

ref
2006-04-07, 11:50 PM
That's because Dragon the God is not blue.

Also, Asian chicks dig white men? Then bring me some Asian chicks. hehe... ;)

Nightmarenny
2006-04-07, 11:51 PM
Well, if asked to choose a friend, is there really any doubt about the one Elan would pick?
I'd bring Haley and maybe V. But thats just me. ;D

The_Weirdo
2006-04-07, 11:52 PM
Spoiler: Haley sees Elan in the bed with the girl and starts talking again, to tell him that she loves him...

arkwei
2006-04-07, 11:53 PM
I'd bring Haley and maybe V. But thats just me. ;D

For comical Effect, it seems to be Hinjo.
...For a surprise, it could be ANYBODY.

BigT
2006-04-07, 11:53 PM
Also, Asian chicks dig white men? Then bring me some Asian chicks. hehe... ;)

Nah, Asians just dig Elan. He is one lady-magnet monkey. No matter how clueless he is, Elan is still so very cool.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-04-07, 11:55 PM
Beautiful, just beautiful.

Not only great art (the first panel was wonderful!) but just a great strip all around!

Incredible job, Rich!

(LOL - bring a friend - LOL woot to 18 Charisma!)

Steward
2006-04-07, 11:59 PM
For comical Effect, it seems to be Hinjo.
...For a surprise, it could be ANYBODY.

Personally, I would bring Durkon and Vaarsuvius and steal all their stuff.

SumGuy
2006-04-08, 12:02 AM
comic 302: Return of Banjo, AND Bardic Nudity?!

Giant, you're too kind :)

arkwei
2006-04-08, 12:02 AM
Personally, I would bring Durkon and Vaarsuvius and steal all their stuff.

But Elan is Chaotic Good; he would not steal his friends' stuff...or so I assume.

GASP! I suddenly see something!

[Spoiler:]

What about Celia seeing Roy (invited by Elan) going into the room...

Cyclone231
2006-04-08, 12:11 AM
Why are people going "woo, elan!" and "score!"?

I mean, how hard is it to score with a total slut?

Reasons she's a slut:
• She is willing to have a (presumably) sexual encounter based almost solely on... drumroll please... his penis size. I mean, she doesn't know anything about him other than that! He could have the most strange sexual tastes! He could be a serial murderer! I mean really.
• She asks him to bring a friend. Come on. She knows even less about the "friend" he might bring than she knows about him.
• Keys. To. Her. Room.

The only way she wouldn't be a slut is if, for example, she was actually inviting him to a church meeting in order to try to bring him into the ways of goodness and not running around naked.

neos_dionysos
2006-04-08, 12:12 AM
Wooooooo!! I'm invisble!!!

Elan is... well... he is... unique?!?

Party on!

WeaponMasterLDO
2006-04-08, 12:20 AM
Nah, Asians just dig Elan. He is one lady-magnet monkey. No matter how clueless he is, Elan is still so very cool.

18 charisma "under the hood". I'm pretty sure thats good all around the world.

rosebud
2006-04-08, 12:24 AM
"There's something you don't see every day." While the Return of Banjo is wonderful (and even more so with Monkey), that panel has one other wonder: Elan has a nose (http://www.giantitp.com/GuestStrips.html)! (And, unlike the clown nose, he wears a band around his head since he doesn't have an actual nose that would hold it.)

I also like the mulling crowds and a few people not wearing the color blue. And the dragon, of course.

I am curious if Elan was taking the keys or just was juxtaposed near it.

It's amusing but rather odd that Hinjo is so laid back when he was cracking people up on the way to the trial. He's turned very Royish.

servetus
2006-04-08, 12:25 AM
Why are people going "woo, elan!" and "score!"?

I mean, how hard is it to score with a total slut?

Reasons she's a slut:
• She is willing to have a (presumably) sexual encounter based almost solely on... drumroll please... his penis size. I mean, she doesn't know anything about him other than that! He could have the most strange sexual tastes! He could be a serial murderer! I mean really.
• She asks him to bring a friend. Come on. She knows even less about the "friend" he might bring than she knows about him.
• Keys. To. Her. Room.

The only way she wouldn't be a slut is if, for example, she was actually inviting him to a church meeting in order to try to bring him into the ways of goodness and not running around naked.

She has one other crucial piece of information: he's walking with the heir to the throne, who is also a paladin. Presumably Hinjo counts as a serious character reference. Presumably Hinjo also counts as Azure City's most eligible bachelor (if he's unmarried). Perhaps she had a very specific friend in mind for Elan to bring....

Jaxinator
2006-04-08, 12:34 AM

Remeber his episode with Samantha?
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=156

And his excuse?
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=160

Looks like a -Moral Obligation- to me. He can always claim later that she, or they (it was the "bring a friend" comment that leads me to this) were "bad guys".

theKOT
2006-04-08, 12:35 AM
Hehehe, Elan really knows how to party and not be tardy. That was like an entire day's worth of partying in the time it took Hinjo to say four sentences.

I kinda thought that too. On the reread, it is kinda hard to tell. Could be either.

Edit @^: Yeah, but it could still go either way. There is really no hard proof.

Kalatash
2006-04-08, 12:38 AM
I'm suddenly imagaining Elan as Invisible Boy after this strip. Now, would Haley be The Sphinx? And who is Mr. Furious? [I have watched 'Mystery Men' 3 times in as many weeks, if not more so.]

Great strip! Someone unpixel it, quick! Just kidding. I have been waiting weeks to see what Elan would do when he went out on the town.

Also, hooray for Banjo!

Dude[tte], it's a stick figure comic. There isn't much to see. Pretty much, it would look like this:

T

How exciting.

Vaarsuvius_Prime
2006-04-08, 12:42 AM
Alas, poor lawyers.

Xenon
2006-04-08, 12:45 AM
wow. how low is his wisdom? i mean, i can uderstand no ranks in spot.... needing his skill points for important things when he has to lead and all that.

Banjo... 13th god of the south? it could happen!

neos_dionysos
2006-04-08, 12:47 AM
And what about the sparkling fountains... I thought Elan would bathe in them - all of them - all over the city? And the harbours... the ships... oh, there's so much to see! Let's get on... more of Elan's trip to the "BIG CITY". Yeehaw!!!

Fishies
2006-04-08, 12:47 AM
Banjo... 13th god of the south? it could happen!

But then they would have an unlucky number!

rebellioussong
2006-04-08, 01:02 AM
Hey Rich,

Awesome comic, i loved the reprise of the invisible joke and banjos cameo. keep up the great work

Valiena
2006-04-08, 01:02 AM
Elan gets naked, and gets invited to a room by a girl, I get naked, I get arrested! Damn, I wish I had an 18 charisma!

Liquid
2006-04-08, 01:05 AM
Great strip (pun intended) :)

Efogoto
2006-04-08, 01:06 AM
But then they would have an unlucky number!
Not necessarily. Many cultures don't put a stigma on 13. Check the number of Latin players wearing 13 in major league baseball.

Aiani
2006-04-08, 01:19 AM
Now that was a nice way to get the story going again. Poor Hinjo but maybe he should try looking behind him every once in a while. Anyway the image of Elan with a clown nose and that goofy thing on his head was priceless.

ekedolphin
2006-04-08, 01:26 AM
"Wooo! I'm invisible!" It's baaack! ;)

Great Banjo cameo there, and I also liked when Elan played his lute while some other guy played his accordion.

Bilbo27
2006-04-08, 01:27 AM
new years, a time for new plot lines---HOW ODD!

Love Banjo the clown, love Elan's invisibility act

Love the Azure city wenches wanting a piece of Elan.

This comic---Priceless

Now to reminisce about 301----

What happened to Soy Latte and pizza slice?

I saw nachos get offed by popcorn, but how did the battle end?

Curse you Giant for those cliffhangers

Xianthe
2006-04-08, 01:34 AM
Not necessarily. Many cultures don't put a stigma on 13. Check the number of Latin players wearing 13 in major league baseball.

Agreed. Specifically in Japan (which, this is not, but its close enough) the unlucky numbers are 4 or "shi" which is pronounced the same as the word for "death" and 9 or "ku" which is pronounced similar to the word for "suffering" So, like you never see a building with a 13th floor in alot of western cultures...you almost never see a room in a Japanese hospital with a 4 in it. I'm not so sure if 9s are similarily excluded.

I digress, so...

Awesome comic Giant!

Frozen_Northman
2006-04-08, 01:50 AM
You know, I can't help but wonder if the Giant deliberately layered on a bit of subtle irony in this comic. It took me a while to appreciate it.

Hinjo describes the season as "a time for new beginnings and new plotlines. Some of which may not be immediately apparent." The next several panels are then strewn with recycled references to past strips...

Wooooooo! I'm invisible! (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=25)

Banjo (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=80), who naturally seems to be accepted by other gods, if not their priests. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=137)

Bring a friend. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=235)

It may not be deliberate. But it's a nice effect, all the same.

Nightmarenny
2006-04-08, 01:52 AM
How don't care what your spot is. If you keep your head firmly in the other direction you arn't going to see something.

RBloom0566
2006-04-08, 02:30 AM
Man! I wanna party with Elan! I don't care if he is dumb as a stump, he shoots and SCORES!

EscherEnigma
2006-04-08, 02:49 AM
Well, he IS a bard. They are the only class that could alternatively be described as 'the life of the party'. Any party with him around is BOUND to get better.

I can almost hear his song now:
"Drink, drink, drink the adult beverages and
don't, don't don't throw up!"

Reaver225
2006-04-08, 02:49 AM
I now have Chinese Dragon Dance music playing through my head. ROCK ON!

Also, scandal? What scandal?

retnuhytnuob
2006-04-08, 02:52 AM
Agreed. Specifically in Japan (which, this is not, but its close enough) the unlucky numbers are 4 or "shi" which is pronounced the same as the word for "death" and 9 or "ku" which is pronounced similar to the word for "suffering"

So 13 is the result of adding suffering to death? ^_^

As for the comic, I will have to say that this will be an ... interesting... beginning for book 3.

Behold_the_Void
2006-04-08, 02:59 AM
What Hinjo needs is ranks in Listen.

Gwain
2006-04-08, 03:15 AM

Here in Italy the unlucky number is 17 for example.

Brasswatchman
2006-04-08, 03:16 AM
And scoring an invitation from a girl in the last pannel? GASP!!! WHAT WILL HALEY THINK?!

Aww, come on. We all know she's just inviting him to a marathon game of Scrabble. Yeah...

Brasswatchman
2006-04-08, 03:17 AM

That, my friend, I am afraid is the difference between us mere mortals and a 18 Charisma. :(

Nightmarenny
2006-04-08, 03:18 AM
Aww, come on. We all know she's just inviting him to a marathon game of Scrabble. Yeah...
yeah Stripe Scrabble.

Antina
2006-04-08, 03:33 AM
BEST COMIC EVER when it comes to BURST OUT LAUGHING!!!

There isn´t even a smily matching the occasion!

JUST GREAT DONE OH GREAT GIANT!

We are worthless worshippers! ;)

PS: And now we all KNOW just HOW CUTE Elan is... ("room Nr. 115...")

YAY and HUZZAH!!!"

OH - and poooor Hinjo should really invest SOME skillpoints in SPOT!!!

tgva8889
2006-04-08, 03:47 AM
I agree with the "Hinjo and Listen" thing.

Great comic, Giant, love it. Was "lol"ing in literal terms. It was awesome. Awesome comic. Keep writing.

Holy_Knight
2006-04-08, 03:49 AM
You have truly outdone yourself, Giant. I went from a small smile, to a big smile, to a huge grin, to laughing out loud, to laughing hysterically by the end of the strip! I loved everything about it--the Haley-esque grin (has Elan ever had that expression before?) the musical duet, the puppetry duet, the return of invisiible Elan... definitely one of my favorite strips! Awesome job! :)

I also have an interesting spoiler idea, but I'll start a new thread for that...

Sc00by
2006-04-08, 04:00 AM
To those thinking that Hinjo has gone all stuffy on us;

Hinjo is now in public, not insde the palace as he was before. As he says he must now appear to be respecable in a way that he ddn't have to worry about behind closed doors.

Any person from a country with a monarchy will understand perfectly. the press just wait for a member of royalty to put a foot out of line and then they leap all over it and punish mercilessly!

Hinjo may have some problems ahead thanks to Elan.

Great Strip! though. ;)

ambra
2006-04-08, 04:12 AM
woooooo!

great party!

Evik
2006-04-08, 04:19 AM
haha elan parties enuf for all of us! :D

plommon
2006-04-08, 04:52 AM
Hahaa! Wonderfull Giant! You gave me one of those "i dont want to smile any more cause it hurts to much" moments!
Have a nice weekend!

Weiser_Cain
2006-04-08, 05:06 AM
Gods I hate Elan.

warmachine
2006-04-08, 05:22 AM
Elan is clearly a party animal and babe magnet but his lute playing shows he has depth. Lute and accordian are not traditionally associated with each other, so Elan had to improvise. By the looks of the accordian player, he did it well. Party atmosphere can cover many sins but bad music spoils the mood and gets stomped on quickly. Elan understands music enough to not need sheet music - he is an artiste.

That the rest of the party don't appreciate his music means they're soulless philistines.

Zann
2006-04-08, 06:33 AM
Excuse me while I fall over and laugh my socks off.

codemartin
2006-04-08, 08:08 AM
so lets do the math.

party + Elan = ;D

Hmm I wanna get invited to the parties Elan goes to. Or have an 18 charisma.

Nice....job...gaint

Woot page 7

DEMONhunter
2006-04-08, 08:20 AM
Gods I hate Elan.
Asuuming that's not a joke, how can anyone hate Elan? Half the jokes just don't work without him. But thats just my opinion. Also, loved the new strip. Woot!

U2QueenBee
2006-04-08, 08:40 AM
Whilst 'invisible' Elan is indeed classic, I'm going to buck the trend and say that the panel of him with Banjo, the nose and the 'deely-boppers' as we used to call them on his head is my personal favourite...I just love that!

Also, giant monkey puppets ftw!

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-04-08, 08:45 AM
Oh, that crazy party animal Elan! :)

I liked the mini-jam session with the accordion player.

RemoJr
2006-04-08, 08:47 AM
My eyes! He's NOT invisible! Someone please cast blindness on me!

oh, and great comic. Keep up the good work.

boolean
2006-04-08, 08:56 AM
And who is Mr. Furious?

Roy, of course.

Leader of the team?

Check.

Capable of feats of great strength when enraged?

Check. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=114)

somatic
2006-04-08, 09:26 AM
I've really been loving the direction the last few strips have taken.

Kaerou
2006-04-08, 09:35 AM
hehe, i love it! The calm before the storm =)

Alfryd
2006-04-08, 09:47 AM
New comic is up. Happy New Year.
Most amusing. And here's me expecting a Linear Guild cutway... though that may not be entirely neccesary.

Elan got popular very quickly. I can't imagen how in such a short time he was able to have so much fun and cause so much trouble for poor Hinjo.
I imagine this will soon be among the least of Hinjo's worries.

I mean, how hard is it to score with a total slut?..
True, company notwithstanding.

Assuming that's not a joke, how can anyone hate Elan?..
There's no malice in his actions, but he's still an active menace to the health and sanity of everyone he meets. And he doesn't care. Probably because he doesn't realise, but I'm starting to wonder...

a1057soul
2006-04-08, 09:47 AM

New fuel for the who would play the OotS in a movie thread I think...

and *shudders* for thoughts of Brad Pitt running naked through the streets yelling "WOO I'm invisible..."

;)
Dan

SpoonlessJedi
2006-04-08, 10:05 AM
I have a fleeting image of a later-to-be-released DVD... "Bards Gone Wild"

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-04-08, 10:54 AM
Was it previously established that Hinjo is the heir to the throne? I thought he was just a random paladin.

That said, hahahahaha. Awesome art and gags. It's really a shame that Elan seldom gets to let loose like this...Roy never lets him have any fun :(

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-04-08, 11:02 AM
Was it previously established that Hinjo is the heir to the throne? I thought he was just a random paladin.

That said, hahahahaha. Awesome art and gags. It's really a shame that Elan seldom gets to let loose like this...Roy never lets him have any fun :(

Comic #277 informs us that Hinjo is Shojo's nephew, and will become the Lord of Azure City when the old geezer snuffs it.

Quixote
2006-04-08, 11:36 AM
You know what this is? For the first time, Elan is in his Natural Environment. He doesn't belong in a dungeon, so he winds people up. But now he's in a carnival! And he fits right in! And for once people enjoy interacting with him! I think that's so cool.

Vernal
2006-04-08, 11:37 AM
Great humor!
I was hoping however that the room number had been #235 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=235) but then I'm strange like that.
THough it has been brought up earlier in this thead.

Torias
2006-04-08, 11:58 AM
You know what this strip has that is really cool?

A competent Elan.

I love Elan, my favourite D&D character is a bard (focused on inspiration).

But I do think the whole "bards are useless, elan is stupid" thing is a tinsy bit overdone... a bard in a combat focused group that covers all the usual archetypes... is astoundingly effective and useful.

And I'd say (or like to perceive that) Elan is much more "innocent" (in terms of outlook, rather than experience) than stupid.

Nyax
2006-04-08, 12:25 PM
Woot for the party! Elan actually LIED here to Hinjo saying he's not the party kind! And it was just awesome to bring back a long forgotten joke to the top, but now we get a weekend cliffhanger! Who? who? will be the "friend" coming along at room 115! ::)

Steward
2006-04-08, 12:32 PM
Woot for the party! Elan actually LIED here to Hinjo saying he's not the party kind! And it was just awesome to bring back a long forgotten joke to the top, but now we get a weekend cliffhanger! Who? who? will be the "friend" coming along at room 115! ::)

Lord Shojo.

Weiser_Cain
2006-04-08, 01:51 PM
I don't like 'goofball' anything. Pretty simple.
Also I don't care how high your cha is, I don't want to see you dancing around the street naked. Are there no prudes in azure city?

Faramir
2006-04-08, 02:15 PM
"Bring a friend"

Hmmm... Roy? Belkar? (Haley?)

OMG, I didn't think of it but Elan bringing Haley along (I gotta party invitation, wanna come with me?) would be hilariously in character.

BelkarsDagger
2006-04-08, 02:48 PM
Hehe... he might just talk Belkar into it, but Roy probably wouldn't let either of 'em go.

androgial
2006-04-08, 03:09 PM
somehow i think elan+belkar+party sounds like a good combonation until belkar breaks out the poison he scraped off from roys trap experience......

then again i can see him taking hailey too......

oooo and bringing both celia and roy...

bah too many plot lines to consider

so many chances for elan to do something infantiley hillarius

and oh my yes bardic nudity strikes back mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Priest_Of_Banjo
2006-04-08, 03:24 PM
All those who like Banjo (or Banjulhu), go to the Monster creation forum. Also, how do you become a Titan in the playground?

Terrafire
2006-04-08, 04:05 PM
See, now THAT was better! :D

and you become a Titan by posting a certain number of times. (maybe 2000? O_o )

Nyax
2006-04-08, 04:12 PM
Lord Shojo.

OMG! :o ! I hope that if it's the case we won't be seeing too much of the action ;D

Steward
2006-04-08, 04:20 PM
OMG! :o ! I hope that if it's the case we won't be seeing too much of the action ;D

Too bad. There's a triple-length full-color comic planned.

redmind0
2006-04-08, 05:01 PM
18 cha under the hood.

mirado_lassik
2006-04-08, 05:47 PM
Elan is my freaking hero.

Sebastian
2006-04-08, 06:20 PM
Wow, Elan must have some huge... charisma to get all those girls's attention. ;)

"Bring a friend"

Haley!? Why not? after all, this is Elan

"Hey, Haley, I meet this person in town that invited me to some kind of party, I think. She told to bring a friend, would you like to come?" ;D

Ego Slayer
2006-04-08, 06:21 PM
That... was... awesome! ;D

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-04-08, 06:46 PM
Comic #277 informs us that Hinjo is Shojo's nephew, and will become the Lord of Azure City when the old geezer snuffs it.

Domo arigatou gozaimasu!

Additionally...if only the room number was 815, or maybe 2342. Ah well.

AyuVince
2006-04-08, 07:14 PM
Typical, really, the airheaded bard gets all the chicks while the heir to the throne has to maintain political correctness.

Hinjo should take an example from Prince Harry (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006160335,00.html). Hee hee (I'm not British, I can laugh about this ;)).

Ellimist
2006-04-08, 07:28 PM
Gotta love bards at a party ;D

Man, if Haley walks in on Elan again maybe the shock would be enough to make her speech revert to normal

Hyrael
2006-04-08, 07:41 PM
Also I don't care how high your cha is, I don't want to see you dancing around the street naked. Are there no prudes in azure city?
Of course there are, but the prudes are all meditating in their own homes, not partying in the streets. therefore, anyone whom Elan encounters while running around naked is extremely likely not to mind, and if they are female (or a male who swings that way) would in fact be appreciative (as we saw here).

garylian
2006-04-08, 07:45 PM
Pixelated streaking Elan.

This may never be topped on the hilarity scale.

Solmage
2006-04-08, 08:37 PM
You know what this strip has that is really cool?

A competent Elan.

I love Elan, my favourite D&D character is a bard (focused on inspiration).

But I do think the whole "bards are useless, elan is stupid" thing is a tinsy bit overdone... a bard in a combat focused group that covers all the usual archetypes... is astoundingly effective and useful.

And I'd say (or like to perceive that) Elan is much more "innocent" (in terms of outlook, rather than experience) than stupid.

"I tend to see Elan more as an obstacle this team overcomes on a regular basis"

That sums up Elan rarther nicely. And inicidentally REALLY reminds me of someone who plays a bard and who (actually unwittingly) often does the most inane things. I love Elan - laughing at him. "Bluff, bluff, bluff the stupid ogre" is one of my all-time Elan favorites.

But I think just because you play a competent bard, does not mean Elan is one, or can be one. There's extensive background even explaining why he's daft, but the fact he is daft is only ever put into question by adoring fans who want him to be something he isn't. He's Elan. He's not every bard there is.

All I can say now is poor poor Hinjo. Roy did get his revenge on them. :)

*gets some popcorn to watch Haley's reaction. It's going to be to die for*

infiniteviking
2006-04-08, 11:02 PM
*blinks*

Innocent? Elan? That last panel proves it -- Elan knows exactly how his behavior strikes people, and modifies it accordingly.

(Who is Mr. Furious?)Roy, of course.Does that mean Durkon is The Shoveler? (And that V must be The Bowler!? ;D)

*scans page for currently-nonapparent plotlines*
... The guy with the red accordion. *hollow voice* That means something. It's important.

Mutant_for_Hire
2006-04-09, 12:11 AM
Think of New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Sure, there are prudes in New Orleans but they aren't the ones out in the streets during Mardi Gras. Ditto for Ft. Lauderdale on spring break. You go to those places at certain times, you know what you're going to see.

Steward
2006-04-09, 12:56 AM
Think of New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Sure, there are prudes in New Orleans but they aren't the ones out in the streets during Mardi Gras. Ditto for Ft. Lauderdale on spring break. You go to those places at certain times, you know what you're going to see.

I'm sure there a few prudes who keep 11 or so uses of Cone of Cold for these occasions.

kit
2006-04-09, 03:26 AM
I don't like 'goofball' anything.

Then why the heck are you reading a comic? (Particularly this one?) O_o

zimri
2006-04-09, 03:44 AM
Are there no prudes in azure city?

Could be that this is the one festival a year (since it is based on renewal) where everyone let's go and let's their hair down with no consequences.

Kalatash
2006-04-09, 05:37 AM
...the reason I didn't mention this earlier is that I didn't want to be known as making a habit of it, but little visual things like this just... leap out at me.

Panel #6: The monkey puppet. The stick to it's left arm passes over it's legs. Is this intentional? It doesn't look... 'right' to me.

Albion
2006-04-09, 07:57 AM
Haha , retuirn of the invisibility. Out of nowhere. 8)
"Look at me, I'm invisible". That doesn't sound right. Heh.

Sebastian
2006-04-09, 08:33 AM
I'm suddenly imagaining Elan as Invisible Boy after this strip. Now, would Haley be The Sphinx? And who is Mr. Furious? [I have watched 'Mystery Men' 3 times in as many weeks, if not more so.]

You need to ask? Belkar, of course. :D

Haley should be the Blue Raja (the fork thrower)

Roy could be the Shoveller and Durkon the Sphinx (or vice versa?)

Am I forgetting someone?

Sebastian
2006-04-09, 08:36 AM
I saw nachos get offed by popcorn, but how did the battle end?

Curse you Giant for those cliffhangers
Yeah, these fillers with the OOTS are nice, but I want to see how the Snack War goes. ;)

Alfryd
2006-04-09, 11:49 AM
Innocent? Elan? That last panel proves it -- Elan knows exactly how his behavior strikes people, and modifies it accordingly.
Well, theoretically, he only heard how Hinjo would be affected by scandalous behaviour in the middle of streaking, and halted accordingly, fibbing slightly to avoid Hinjo feeling bad about it.
Why, Elan? Why must you destroy the lives of all you touch?

Steward
2006-04-09, 01:25 PM

If you look closely at his character sheet, you will realize that he is half fiend.

Holy_Knight
2006-04-09, 01:33 PM
Well, theoretically, he only heard how Hinjo would be affected by scandalous behaviour in the middle of streaking, and halted accordingly, fibbing slightly to avoid Hinjo feeling bad about it.

I think this is on the right track, but I'm going to modify it a bit. I don't think the "scandalous" thing would come into play, because Elan wouldn't have thought he was being scandalous. He really thinks that makes him invisible, remember? So, here's my thought: When Elan says "let's go party!" in panel 4, he rushes off and starts partying without waiting to hear what Hinjo is saying. While he's playing the lute, dressing up, puppeteering and whatnot, he's still hearing Hinjo, but since he's not really paying attention it's just in the back of his mind. By the end, it finally registers with him what Hinjo is actually saying, so he stops--not to avoid embarassing Hinjo, but because he doesn't want him to feel bad that he can't party too--which is why he starts his last speech bubble by saying "Don't feel bad, Hinjo".

And Weiser Cain, shame on you for taking levels in the "mean-old-crankypants prestige class". ;)

GypsyThorn
2006-04-09, 02:44 PM
Hey everyone, I'm typing this naked because you can't see me!

asl
2006-04-09, 02:57 PM
I wonder where the dragon performers got their gray clothes. Must have been imported. ::)

Antina
2006-04-09, 03:08 PM
I wonder where the dragon performers got their gray clothes. Must have been imported. ::)

Wow - nicely found!
But - that´s no ordinary clothing - it´s part of the costume (the dragon is another colour too) ;)

Priceless_Ming
2006-04-09, 04:13 PM
Elan should be careful or else when this is all over he's gonna wind up in room 101.

titan_monarch
2006-04-09, 05:45 PM
Elan should be careful or else when this is all over he's gonna wind up in room 101.

No, he's gonna wind up in Room 115. With a friend. And some hot girls. ;)

Blaznak
2006-04-09, 06:44 PM
Hooray for Banjo!
Hooray for Invisibility!
Hooray for Elan!

Couple of questions on panel one:
1) Who is the guy winking at?
2) Who is the note being passed to (Behind the dragon)?

Wacky!

Later!

5tephen
2006-04-09, 08:37 PM
Hooray for Bardic nudity!

Sir_Banjo
2006-04-09, 09:38 PM
So which friend do you think he'll be taking to room 115?

My bet would be Belkar but Banjuthlu has an equally likely chance.

Or of course he could just invite the whole gang. Two bucks gets you five we won't be seeing that particularly strip (unless Rich signs a deal with the publishers of the Book of Erotic Fantasy ;))

BURNhollywoodBURN
2006-04-09, 09:43 PM
Considering Elans Cha and Int she might just be a pin cushin before Haley finds out. ;)

Cha and int???
I don't wanna know.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-04-09, 10:13 PM
Cha and int???
I don't wanna know.

Yeah, how does int figure into it.............

zimri
2006-04-10, 03:16 AM
Yeah, how does int figure into it.............

I think what is being insinuated is that elan might "miss" alot

koumdros
2006-04-10, 03:24 AM
hohoho
Very funny...

Btw I'm surprised with some people here, actually taking tis whole "girl proposing himt o come in her room " seriously and pondering whether she is a slut or if Elan is indecent or whatever..
phewww
relax people..it's a COMIC strip , and you really need to stop being so puritan that you fail to realise that is a comic with a singularly silly fictional character :p

Holy_Knight
2006-04-10, 04:48 AM
hohoho
Very funny...

Btw I'm surprised with some people here, actually taking tis whole "girl proposing himt o come in her room " seriously and pondering whether she is a slut or if Elan is indecent or whatever..
phewww
relax people..it's a COMIC strip , and you really need to stop being so puritan that you fail to realise that is a comic with a singularly silly fictional character :p

It has nothing to do with being puritanical or not realizing it's a comic, koumdros. What people are doing is literary analysis, discussing the characters and plot of a story that they enjoy. It would be weird if people didn't do that sort of thing.

Paragon_Kobold
2006-04-10, 06:59 AM
It seems the very first page of Book 3 will feature a streaking Elan.

Awesome.

The Doctor
2006-04-10, 07:09 AM
And if you think this is over-analyzing things, you never read the commentary of some Harry Potter fans on what 'Ginny' is for kissing more than one guy in her lifetime. (What? So I read stuff other that OotS... )
Seriously though, when a girl does it, she's a slut. When a guy does it, he is cool? Tsk. So far for women's lib.
Girl115 just knows what she wants. Go girl115!

crippits
2006-04-10, 11:23 AM
as to that "note" that is being passed behind the dragon, i think that is actually a cup, not a note of nefarious doom.

I agree with Sir_Banjo, i doubt we will see the inside of that room at all.

also, for a place with similarly asian references to culture, you find an acordion player?! Coincidentally, i recently foudn out my dad played the acordion in his youth.

Antina
2006-04-10, 11:55 AM
as to that "note" that is being passed behind the dragon, i think that is actually a cup, not a note of nefarious doom.

I agree with Sir_Banjo, i doubt we will see the inside of that room at all.

also, for a place with similarly asian references to culture, you find an acordion player?! Coincidentally, i recently foudn out my dad played the acordion in his youth.

Technically speaking it is not an accordeon...
An accordeon would e.g. look like a piano on one side

Ironfang
2006-04-10, 12:00 PM
Someone mentioned a title "Elan goes Wild" I think on same line "Bards Gone Wild" available for $19.99. Would be a cool title.

Jevanyn
2006-04-10, 12:32 PM
Top ten things about Friday's comic

The "Chinese" dragon
The azure goatee (ren-faire geek!)
Elan's -not- playing the kazoo
"New beginnings and new plotlines"
But Soft! a major plot point cometh: Shojo is heir to the throne
Monkey-Monkey-Monkey! (Sorry, channeling my son :-) )
The Banjo cameo
Wooooo! I'm invisible!
the chick offering her room key
"Bring a friend" (haha, he's bring, like, Durkon)

NEO|Phyte
2006-04-10, 12:41 PM
But Soft! a major plot point cometh: Shojo is heir to the throne
Shojo mentioned that a while back, its nothing new.

Sylvius
2006-04-10, 12:43 PM
What would Elan do if he put Invisibility on his spell list? ::)

If Elan cast Invisibility while he was naked, that would create a sort of Double Secret Invisibility. Not only would people not be able to see him, but people who'd seen him before would forget they'd done it.

Retroactive, like.

Kanashimi
2006-04-10, 12:55 PM
Great strip (pun intended) :)

ARRRGH, where's the Pun Paladin!

Great COMIC strip! I loved the part with Elan partying. How about a Bards Gone wild video?

theKOT
2006-04-10, 01:17 PM
After seeing the people of Azure city in this strip, I think we know where Julia's friend (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=256) comes from.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-04-10, 01:57 PM
After seeing the people of Azure city in this strip, I think we know where Julia's friend (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=256) comes from.

Hmm...I think she might just be picking up their fashion habits, because she's not azuren. She doesn't have azuren pryde, but she is buying into azuren fushion.

Maybe she's got yellow fever - I mean - blue fever?

Okay, I think I'm done.

theKOT
2006-04-10, 01:59 PM
Her hair is the color and style, her clothes are the color, and her shoes are the color. Looks like she is from Azure city to me. Yeah, I know you were joking. Just backing up what I said.

Melnor
2006-04-10, 02:03 PM
Great comic, Giant!
I especially love the "it is a time for new plotlines" joke.
Also, yay for naked Elan! Hahaha

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-04-10, 03:53 PM
Hmm...I think she might just be picking up their fashion habits, because she's not azuren. She doesn't have azuren pryde, but she is buying into azuren fushion.

Maybe she's got yellow fever - I mean - blue fever?

Okay, I think I'm done.

Yeah, but she's Asian (okay, I know there is no Asia in OoTS but she looks Asian) and all the Asians in the strip are from Azure city.

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-04-10, 03:59 PM
Who else thinks Hinjo should join the party?

EscherEnigma
2006-04-10, 06:44 PM
Yeah, but she's Asian

How do you figure? Her skin color looks like Nale's and Pompey's, which is the same as Elan's, V's, Haley's, and others that are NOT from Azure city.

Unless my monitor is screwing up the colors to the nth degree?

We are talking about Julia's friend dressed in blue who's following behind her in comic 256, right?

ElfLad
2006-04-10, 07:51 PM
Who else thinks Hinjo should join the party?

Nope. Hinjo would lose his powers for associating with Belkar. And really, there's not much to his personality yet besides "laid-back d00d" (Well, laid back compared to other paladins. Although I admit he's developing.

Arachnophile
2006-04-10, 08:02 PM

Then the paper lanterns must have been imported too. :) It is nice to see different colors.
Yay for "I'm invisible!"

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-04-10, 08:11 PM
I just realized this, the carnival is really a cover for summgling in non-blue clothing, the guys with the dragon arn't in blue and the dragon must be filled with non-blue clothes....... thats the real reason people are happy......

oh and Elan's "invisability"

Nixie
2006-04-10, 08:48 PM
agreed. ;D

I love the part whre Hinjo just keeps talking while Elan parties.

I doubt that the gray clothes were imported (don't you have to dye to ge blue?) :P ;)

Kish
2006-04-10, 10:05 PM
Nope. Hinjo would lose his powers for associating with Belkar.
I'm not sure that's such an issue now that Belkar is leashed.

Holy_Knight
2006-04-10, 10:16 PM
About the color thing--it's possible that Celia meant that the store they were in only sold blue, rather than that blue was the only color sold in the entire city.

tothecornfield
2006-04-10, 11:51 PM
About the color thing--it's possible that Celia meant that the store they were in only sold blue, rather than that blue was the only color sold in the entire city.
That is possible, but it wouldn't be very funny. The laws of comedy dictate that your hypothesis is unlikely.

ElfLad
2006-04-10, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure that's such an issue now that Belkar is leashed.

Paladins lose powers for associating with evil characters. If it says Evil on Belkar's character sheet, Hinjo (or any other paladin) would fall.

zimri
2006-04-10, 11:56 PM
Paladins lose powers for associating with evil characters. If it says Evil on Belkar's character sheet, Hinjo (or any other paladin) would fall.

Then why does Miko still have her powers ?

TinSoldier
2006-04-10, 11:57 PM
Then why does Miko still have her powers ?
Because she captured them, not willing joined a party with a known evil character.

ElfLad
2006-04-11, 12:05 AM
If paladins were penalized for capturing evil characters, paladins would leave corpses more often.