PDA

View Full Version : Lore Master Balancing help

Gilded_Mage
2019-03-19, 04:07 AM
I'm wanting to play the Lore Master tradition but the DM said it seems rather OP since I can constantly change damage types whenever I cast a damaging spell. So I'm thinking of changing it either two ways.
One starting at level 2 I can change the damage type once before taking a long rest and then after every third level so 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20 I gain an extra use per day before needing to take a long rest.
The other way is based off of the wizard's int modifier and gain full uses after a long rest and maybe at level 10 after a short rest can get half the int mod rounded down.
Which seems more balanced?

Unk
2019-03-19, 04:26 AM
I'm wanting to play the Lore Master tradition but the DM said it seems rather OP since I can constantly change damage types whenever I cast a damaging spell. So I'm thinking of changing it either two ways.
One starting at level 2 I can change the damage type once before taking a long rest and then after every third level so 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20 I gain an extra use per day before needing to take a long rest.
The other way is based off of the wizard's int modifier and gain full uses after a long rest and maybe at level 10 after a short rest can get half the int mod rounded down.
Which seems more balanced?

At our table we use the "int modifier per long rest" variant. But the lore master is only lvl 6 right now

Lord Vukodlak
2019-03-19, 05:04 AM
In my own attempt at a fix I made it that instead of changing the spells damage you changed the spell. Say you prepared fireball but lightning bolt would be more appropriate

Elemental Intuition
At 6th level, you master the first in a series of arcane secrets uncovered by your extensive studies. As a bonus action when casting a spell that deals acid, cold, fire, force, necrotic, lightning, or thunder damage you can swap it for another spell you know of equal or lower level that deals damage from the same list. For example you could swap fireball for lightning or a scorching ray. Or instead of casting your prepared chain lightning you use cone of cold in the same slot instead.

sophontteks
2019-03-19, 07:33 AM
The best bet is to trash that ability completely. I'd recommend trashing the loremaster completely as well. This is not the only problem with the archtype. It's easy to tell that not much work went into its design.

For example, a lore master can burn a 2nd level spell to increase a spells range from 30 feet to 1 mile. You gotta be kidding me. I know range buffs are normally not so good, but this is practically casting a fireball from orbit.

Or why not tack 2d10 damage on a fireball per target for the low cost of a 1st level spell? Holy crap! Not only is this far and away stronger then a 1st level spell on its own, its also free action economy. Puts sorcerers to shame.

And is the third ability any better? +2 save DC? At least it costs a 3rd level slot making it somewhat reasonable...

All this on top of other powerful things like expertise in 4(!) Skills, and rolling initiative on your primary stat.

So, everything about this archtype is OP up to level 6. How can it possibly be salvaged? It can't.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-03-19, 08:47 AM
So, everything about this archtype is OP up to level 6. How can it possibly be salvaged? It can't.
I'm inclined to agree. I tried to houserule it into balance and there's just... nothing you can do. Every part of the archetype is borked. If you want to be a generalist wizard, you're better off going with something like Divination, War Wizard, or a homebrew version like the Arcane Savant in Grod's Guide.

Languid_Duck
2019-03-19, 09:45 AM
The subclass' problems are
1- Having the equivalent of 4 features at 2nd level, since both are 2-part
2- The presence of Force damage int he element swapping makes other options nearly redundant, since it's so universally effective.
3- The saving throw swapping ability is hard to justify (why is Fireball now a Charisma save?) and super strong
4- Getting better Metamagic than Sorcerer
5- Having a Wish alternative that can replicate 9th level spells.

Bloat is the easiest one to fix; axe the overpowered featues and spread out what remains. I would axe Alchemical Casting, the saving throw swapping, and Master of MAgic. I would keep the element swapping since it's conceptually neat, but limit it to the types a Wizard can already choose between when casting Chromatic Orb. So the layout would look something like this.

2- Proficiency in 2 knowledge skills
2- Int to Initiative
6- Element Swapping (Acid/Cold/Fire/Lightning/Poison/Thunder only)
10- Expertise in 2 knowledge skills
14- Prodigious Memory

More reasonable, hopefully.

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-19, 10:55 AM
The subclass' problems are
1- Having the equivalent of 4 features at 2nd level, since both are 2-part
2- The presence of Force damage int he element swapping makes other options nearly redundant, since it's so universally effective.
3- The saving throw swapping ability is hard to justify (why is Fireball now a Charisma save?) and super strong
4- Getting better Metamagic than Sorcerer
5- Having a Wish alternative that can replicate 9th level spells.

Bloat is the easiest one to fix; axe the overpowered featues and spread out what remains. I would axe Alchemical Casting, the saving throw swapping, and Master of MAgic. I would keep the element swapping since it's conceptually neat, but limit it to the types a Wizard can already choose between when casting Chromatic Orb. So the layout would look something like this.

2- Proficiency in 2 knowledge skills
2- Int to Initiative
6- Element Swapping (Acid/Cold/Fire/Lightning/Poison/Thunder only)
10- Expertise in 2 knowledge skills
14- Prodigious Memory

More reasonable, hopefully.

It's a bit weak, and mostly comes off as a Historian rather than a Wizard. Maybe tie in the idea that, as a Reaction, they can watch a spell be cast and cast that themselves? I could see that work out.

Like "When a creature casts a spell that you can see, you can spend your Reaction to identify and learn the castings of that spell. Make an Intelligence (Arcana) check, with the DC equal to 10 + the level of the spell. If you succeed, you not only identify the spell, but you can cast that spell if it's level 1 or higher by spending a spell slot equal to the level of the spell cast. You know how to cast that spell for 1 hour, and reusing this feature for a new spell causes your knowledge of the previous spell to end early."

Level 6 feature: "After using your level 2 feature, you can cast Counterspell on the target casting the spell with the same Reaction".

Lord Vukodlak
2019-03-19, 04:29 PM
Below is the full alteration I made a while back.

Lore Master

Keeper of Lore
Starting at 2nd level, you become a compendium of knowledge on a vast array of topics your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses the Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion skill if you are proficient in that skill.

Elemental Intuition
At 6th level, you master the first in a series of arcane secrets uncovered by your extensive studies. As a bonus action when casting a spell that deals acid, cold, fire, force, necrotic, lightning, or thunder damage you can swap it for another spell you know of equal or lower level that deals damage from the same list. For example you could swap fireball for lightning or a scorching ray. Or instead of casting your prepared chain lightning you use cone of cold in the same slot instead.

Once you use Elemental Intuition it can’t be used again until you finish a short or long rest.

I altered Spell Secrets to be more like Prodigious Memory and Master of Magic. I also moved it up to 6th level so the subclass didn't get multiple abilities at certain tiers. Alchemical Casting stepped on Sorcery's toes to much so its plain gone. This essentially expands your list of prepared spells by letting you swap out without actually changing the elements.

Prodigious Memory
At 10th level, you have attained a greater mastery of spell preparation. As a bonus action, you can replace one spell you have prepared with another spell from your spellbook. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.
*Left unaltered.

Master of Magic
At 14th level, your knowledge of magic allows you to duplicate almost any spell. As a free action, you can call to mind the ability to cast one spell of your choice from any class’s spell list The spell must be of 5th level or lower, and you follow the normal rules for casting it, including expending a spell slot. If the spell isn’t a wizard spell, it counts as a wizard spell when you cast it The ability to cast the spell vanishes from your mind when you cast it or When the current turn ends

You can’t use this feature again until you finish along rest