PDA

View Full Version : Endless ammo for bows / crossbows

haplot
2019-03-19, 09:16 AM
Looking for a price for a quiver to provide endless ammo, or a bonus to a weapon that creates an arrow when the bow is drawn sort of thing.

I thought there was something in one of the books, and although theres things like the endless feedbag, and everful mug or whatever, the prices seem to change between books and amounts of time it can be used per day.

I was thinking of just pricing the quiver up as 2,000gp, arrows disappears after shooting it, and just pulling them out without firing them, the arrow / bolt disappears after say 1 round.

And for a weapon that provides its own ammo (say that bow from the D&D cartoon) is equivilent to a +1 bonus.

Are my prices off?

I'd rather not go down route of wiki or too much in the way of homebrew / online stuff if i can help it.

Thank you for any / all replies

:smallsmile:

Zaq
2019-03-19, 09:19 AM
I’m 99% certain this already exists somewhere. Have you looked in the Magic Item Compendium?

The Kool
2019-03-19, 09:20 AM
The Bow of Force (Hank's energy bow) from a web thing, and the Quiver of Anariel from another web thing, are both suitable to your needs. The bow does it mostly as a flavor thing and has other effects (which are supposedly errata'd), the quiver is built around the concept but there's some disagreement as to the exact mechanics/price of it.

Edit:
The bow: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a
The quiver: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?172874-Wizards-tookdown-the-web-page-with-elven-longbow-quiver-of-anariel-stats

haplot
2019-03-19, 09:24 AM
I've tried in the MIC, and couldn't find endless ammo. I'm assuming thats the 'latest' book, and prices there overwrite other prices / item stuff.

Will look for the bow of force etc on web now.

thank you

The Kool
2019-03-19, 09:25 AM
I edited links into my post.

haplot
2019-03-19, 09:29 AM
Cheers.

Much appreciated

The Kool
2019-03-19, 09:51 AM
Happy to be of service.

Malphegor
2019-03-19, 10:14 AM
Spell component Pouch, since bolts are available via the 'launch bolt' spell. ;)

(seriously though for basic ammo there should be some equivalent of the spell component pouch to abstract that kind of thing imo, that way the player only needs to worry about special ammo like arrows that explode into fire or crossbow bolts that auto-target like magic missile)

DarkSoul
2019-03-19, 10:36 AM
Quiver of Plenty, from the Dragon Compendium.

Kalkra
2019-03-19, 10:47 AM
Or you could just use a custom item of Psionic Minor Creation for probably way cheaper than anything else.

Crichton
2019-03-19, 11:04 AM
Or you could just use a custom item of Psionic Minor Creation for probably way cheaper than anything else.

Maybe? It's not defined one way or the other if arrows in D&D have metal arrowheads, though I'd assume they do, given the general level of metalworking that the ruleset puts forth.

More importantly, Minor Creation can only make plant matter, so it can't make the feathers for good fletchings on the arrows, either.

You'd also have to roll a Craft(Bowmaking) skill check. I assume making arrows uses Bowmaking as the specific Craft skill?

The Kool
2019-03-19, 11:05 AM
Check with your DM. If they don't care about tracking ammunition, it may not matter. If they don't care and you do, you can probably get the endless quiver things for dirt cheap. If you both do care, you can still probably get it for cheap. My personal stance on the Quiver of Anariel is to run the base cost as 1/10th the base cost listed (2,800 gp), leave the modifiers for special materials as is, and change the enhancement costs to 1.5x cost of enchanting a weapon.

Dimers
2019-03-19, 04:55 PM

If you're looking at custom psi items, also consider Bolt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bolt.htm). If you consider drawing an arrow a "use" of a quiver, you get infinite +1 ammo for a 2000gp use-activated item.

magic9mushroom
2019-03-19, 09:00 PM
Looking for a price for a quiver to provide endless ammo, or a bonus to a weapon that creates an arrow when the bow is drawn sort of thing.

Raptor Arrows from the MIC come at this from a different direction - they're magic arrows that come back to you after you shoot them (they're not used up).

There's also the Bow of the Solars from Monster Manual/Arms and Equipment Guide (the stats of the item are in the MM, but the price is only listed in the 3.0 A&EG); that's a Large +2 mighty (+5) composite longbow that automatically creates Slaying Arrows when drawn.

Blue Jay
2019-03-19, 10:23 PM
Spell component Pouch, since bolts are available via the 'launch bolt' spell. ;)

Oh, I never thought of that. But, don't component pouches only provide components that don't have a cost? Would the Eschew Materials feat be a possible shenanigan for this? :smallbiggrin:

If you're looking at custom psi items, also consider Bolt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bolt.htm). If you consider drawing an arrow a "use" of a quiver, you get infinite +1 ammo for a 2000gp use-activated item.

This is what I've been doing with my archer characters, except I pay 4000 gp to make the item slotless (that's mostly because I suspected some people would say it was too cheap at 2000 gp, so I compromised a little).

I don't really understand why all the official "endless quivers" are so expensive: Quiver of Anariel at 28,000+ gp, and Quiver of Plenty at 18,000 gp. Honestly, I think any sane DM should want a way to get out of tracking mundane ammunition long before the PC's can afford those quivers, so a simple, cheap item of endless mundane arrows ought to exist without the free special arrows that make them more expensive.

I actually have a further customized quiver on my highest-ranked archer that has the properties of an Efficient Quiver (a.k.a. Quiver of Ehlonna) incorporated so she can store a bunch of special arrows. I might also consider a Quiver of Energy (or two) at some point, just so I can say it has all the basic quiver options. Are there any other magical quivers, or is that it?

The Kool
2019-03-20, 07:11 AM
I built an archer that simply carried a Quiver of Elhonna and a Quiver of Anariel (price reduced as above). The end result was a pile of conveniently carried special arrows, and infinite basic arrows.

Ken Murikumo
2019-03-20, 10:59 AM
Backport the Endless Ammunition enchantment (+2) from Pathfinder

Particle_Man
2019-03-20, 11:50 AM
Left field answer: Refluff a warlock. :smallcool:

The Kool
2019-03-20, 11:57 AM
Left field answer: Refluff a warlock. :smallcool:

Picturing Uryu Ishida right now.

Crow_Nightfeath
2019-03-20, 11:59 AM
A quiver with continuous endless ammunition on it works pretty well. Using the magic item creation rules it's about 4,000 gp.

jintoya
2019-03-20, 04:49 PM
As a DM, I don't like keeping track of player arrow count, I always tell them "buy arrows at regular price, I'll let you retroactively purchase them on-the-fly at double cost if you run out"
So they sometimes have to shoot money at the bad guys essentially because they forgot, maybe see if your DM will do something like that instead? It's still gotta be cheaper than a magic quiver

Yogibear41
2019-03-20, 05:28 PM
Depending on the Realism of your game a standard quiver historically holds about 12 arrows, you can stretch that up to about 20, but anything more than that basically can't be done without magic, or some kind of pack animal. No 500 arrow quivers like in Skyrim.

In our games our archers retrieve their arrows post combat when able, and most have 1 rank in an appropriate craft skill to make a few arrows on the fly if they have too.

To be honest the only high level archer I have ever really seen in our games was a scout so he basically only shot 1 arrow a round anyway.

Thac0 Redeye
2019-03-20, 05:29 PM
Devlin's Ring from Book of Eldridge Might 2000gp. lets you draw an empty bow and it produces a mundane arrow.

JMS
2019-03-20, 06:02 PM
To be honest the only high level archer I have ever really seen in our games was a scout so he basically only shot 1 arrow a round anyway.

How much optimization, and what level are we talking, because 1 arrow a round is pitiful even in Core and Completes: Travel Devotion for moving full attacks + Rapid Shot, Manyshot (+ Greater if XPH is in play).