PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Feat for a Storm Herald Barbarian

Tanngrisnr
2019-03-19, 12:16 PM
Hi!

I need suggestions for a feat for my 8th level Storm Herald Barbarian. He is a variant human, ability scores are 18 14 18 10 14 10. I already have Shield Master.

The subclass and Shield Master are non-negociable. This is a 4th edition convertion of my beloved Storm Warden, so despite Storm Herald not being the best subclass, it is the one that fits. Storm Soul has been homebrewed, so I don't get a swimming speed nor can I breathe underwater, but if a target fails the save from my Storm Aura lightning attack, I can choose to push or pull then.

I'm looking to add a bit of CC to this character.

I was looking at Magic Initiate (Druid) and Sentinel as ways to replicate some of the 4th edition mechanics that a 5e Barbarian lacks, but I'm welcoming any suggestions.

Thanks!

Twigwit
2019-03-19, 12:21 PM
I think in true 4e fashion you should go for the +2 in STR because it means you hit more often and accuracy is everything in 4e.

In lieu of that, Sentinel is a good choice, or perhaps Prodigy from XGE if you are going to be making shove attempts with Shield Master a lot.

DarkKnightJin
2019-03-19, 12:26 PM
Ask if your DM would allow you to grab the 'Aberrant Dragonmark' feat from Eberron.
It would give you 1 Sorcerer cantrip and 1 1st level spell that you can cast per long rest.
Basically, a 1 cantrip version of Magic Initiate.. Except that Con is the casting stat for the spells you get.

That aside: Sentinel is probably the superior option, considering you're not able to cast spells while Raging, making any cantrip (I was thinking Lightning Lure) rather unusable during the moments you'd really want it..

Xihirli
2019-03-19, 12:27 PM
Storm Herald is I think the best feat-less barbarian, since the best feats for barbarians are the ones that give them something to do with their bonus action like Polearm Master or in your case Shield Master.
Storm Herald’s main benefit is minor boosts that the barbarian can freely spam as a bonus action every turn.
I’d probably just grab Resilient (wis) and put everything else into Strength and Con.

Tanngrisnr
2019-03-19, 02:19 PM
Ask if your DM would allow you to grab the 'Aberrant Dragonmark' feat from Eberron.
It would give you 1 Sorcerer cantrip and 1 1st level spell that you can cast per long rest.
Basically, a 1 cantrip version of Magic Initiate.. Except that Con is the casting stat for the spells you get.

That aside: Sentinel is probably the superior option, considering you're not able to cast spells while Raging, making any cantrip (I was thinking Lightning Lure) rather unusable during the moments you'd really want it..

Wow. Completely forgot about not being able to cast spells while raging. Thanks for the reminder.

Magic Initiate is out. I guess so is the Dragonmark.

Storm Herald is I think the best feat-less barbarian, since the best feats for barbarians are the ones that give them something to do with their bonus action like Polearm Master or in your case Shield Master.
Storm Herald’s main benefit is minor boosts that the barbarian can freely spam as a bonus action every turn.
I’d probably just grab Resilient (wis) and put everything else into Strength and Con.

I think in true 4e fashion you should go for the +2 in STR because it means you hit more often and accuracy is everything in 4e.

In lieu of that, Sentinel is a good choice, or perhaps Prodigy from XGE if you are going to be making shove attempts with Shield Master a lot.

I could use the ASI to raise my Strength to 20, but I feel 20 STR at level 8 is bit of an overkill. I didn't think about Prodigy nor Resilient. Excellent suggestions! I'll go with Resilient (Wis) now and maybe Prodigy if we reach level 16.

Thank you all for the replies!

Man_Over_Game
2019-03-19, 02:22 PM
Wow. Completely forgot about not being able to cast spells while raging. Thanks for the reminder.

Magic Initiate is out. I guess so is the Dragonmark.

I could use the ASI to raise my Strength to 20, but I feel 20 STR at level 8 is bit of an overkill. I didn't think about Prodigy nor Resilient. Excellent suggestions! I'll go with Resilient (Wis) now and maybe Prodigy if we reach level 16.

Thank you all for the replies!

Tough is also a valuable choice at higher levels, but I'd recommend maximizing your Constitution first, as that'll improve both your AC (if unarmored) and your DC's for your Storm Aura.

For your overall goal (which was to add Crowd Control), nothing would help more than Sentinel, which has no Bonus Action competition with activating your Storm Aura, as well as keeping enemies locked into your Aura constantly.

Tanngrisnr
2019-03-19, 08:37 PM
Yes, I can see that.

The more I think about this character, I feel I should lose Shield Master, swap it for Sentinel and then pick Resilient (Wis) at 8th.

I didn't want to lose all the benefits of Shield Master, as using a shield was a very important part of this character back in 4e. But the feat's bonus action competes directly with my aura zapping, and then I get new ways to knock enemies prone at lvl 14 (chances are we never play to reach this level, though).

CTurbo
2019-03-19, 10:46 PM
I agree with losing Shield Master, and taking Sentinel and Res(Wis).

I really like Ritual Caster on Barbs to give you something to do outside of combat. This is a late feat suggestion not a level 4 or 8 suggestion.

Vogie
2019-03-20, 09:58 AM
It's too bad you don't have a Charisma of 13, because a 1-level dip of Sea Sorcerer (UA) would be gold for your concept.

Since you want CC, I'd suggest Tavern Brawler. That'll allow you to attack with your shield (as an improvised weapon) then grapple as a bonus action. Your first attack could be a weapon attack, your second a shield bash, then drop the weapon and grapple.

Another would be Martial Adept, as you can expand your ability to knockdown or frighten targets in combat.

Mage Slayer acts as a sort-of-CC against facing spellcasters specifically. That is more campaign based, however.