PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Help for Sorcerer?

biovoid
2019-03-19, 02:50 PM
Currently a refluffed golden dragon sorcerer at level 15, thematically a Phoenix Soul sorcerer. Spells are Shield, Scorching Ray, Counterspell, Fireball, Haste, Major Image, Banishment, Polymorph, Cone of Cold, Wall of Light, Investiture of Flame, Sunbeam, Crown of Stars, and Sunburst. Cantrips are Fire Bolt, Green Flame Blade, Lightning Lure Mending, Minor Illusion, and Shocking Grasp. Her Metamagics are Quicken, Twinned, and Distant Spell, although I'm talking to my DM about swapping Distant for Empowered (I haven't needed to use distant once in 4 levels).
Basically, our DM is very excited about getting our characters to level 20 and he wants us to have legendary+ level magic items, with an example being a lightning-based Vorpal Longsword he's planning on giving our monk upon completion of the next dungeon, and he wants our whole party to be equally decked in magical loot that we're going to earn through this next slough of dungeons that he's promised to be the toughest encounters yet (a tall order to fill, seeing what we've been through).
Seeing as my character is a sorcerer, it's a little less easy to say "you get something that just boosts your damage" compared to our Kensai Monk or our War Cleric/Battle Master Fighter. My DM has told me in private conversation before finding magic items for me is taxing because he doesn't know where to begin.
So far, throughout the campaign, I've gotten a Cloak of protection, Mantle of Spell Resistance, Golden Lion Figurines, Circlet of Blasting, Flying Carpet (slightly redundant now that I have wings but very helpful for loot movement and saving our barbarian) and Tome of Leadership and Influence. Are there any recommendations for something on the level of a Vorpal Longsword or Robes of the Archmagi (something he's considering putting in the path of our Celestial Warlock who already has a +3 Rod of the Pact Keeper)?
I'm looking mainly for something that can hopefully help with offensive pressure or battlefield control, and our DM is very open on homebrewed items so long as the table agrees on the balance of it, and he reserves the right to tinker with items as he sees fit.

CTurbo
2019-03-20, 06:39 AM
https://noblecrumpet-dorkvision.tumblr.com/post/167217305527/sorcerer-week-new-magic-items

+3 Staff of Defense

+3 AC, 10 charges, cast Mage Armor at will on self, 2 charges to cast Shield Spell.

Something that gives you more spells known would be huge!

ProsecutorGodot
2019-03-20, 06:57 AM
Staff of the Magi is an obvious choice, by itself it's already one of the single most powerful items any spellcaster can get. It gives you more spells to use, some will become At-Will while wielding it. It also comes with some pretty powerful battlefield control spells.

You could ask your DM to instead use a combination of the spells gained from a Staff of Power as well, since Staff of Power generally has "better" area control spells like Wall of Force or Hold Monster.

I honestly can't think of a better choice outside of homebrew.

DarkKnightJin
2019-03-20, 07:29 AM
The 'best/most useful' magic items from the DMG would indeed be Staff of Power and Staff of the Magi.
They boost your spell power, and give you more spells 'known'. Which is a great help for any Sorcerer.

ImproperJustice
2019-03-20, 02:02 PM
Fully Powered rings of elemental command can be quite nice as well, giving you some extra spell power in your day.

DarkKnightJin
2019-03-21, 06:59 AM
Fully Powered rings of elemental command can be quite nice as well, giving you some extra spell power in your day.

I will necer not want a powered up Ring of Air Elemental Command.
And yes, that is purely for the hovering aspect of it.
Because powerful mages should be floating a couple inches above the ground, damnit!

biovoid
2019-03-21, 11:26 AM

Is there different forms of the ring at different power settings, or are you just referring to the standard rings?

DarkKnightJin
2019-03-21, 12:46 PM
Is there different forms of the ring at different power settings, or are you just referring to the standard rings?

I think they're talking about the "killed an [x] elemental with it attuned" powered up form.

Quoz
2019-03-21, 02:35 PM
Helm of the Dread Sorcerer

Whenever you are struck by a hostile spell or fail a spell save, you absorb a portion of the spell's essence, regaining a number of sorcery points equal to the spell's level. If this would put you over your maximum number of sorcery points you may immediately spend a reaction to convert sorcery points into a spell slot and cast, so long as the spell normally has a casting time of one action or less.

DarkKnightJin
2019-03-21, 04:55 PM
Helm of the Dread Sorcerer

Whenever you are struck by a hostile spell or fail a spell save, you absorb a portion of the spell's essence, regaining a number of sorcery points equal to the spell's level. If this would put you over your maximum number of sorcery points you may immediately spend a reaction to convert sorcery points into a spell slot and cast, so long as the spell normally has a casting time of one action or less.

Slight change I'd make: have the absorbing use the Reaction. If they go above their maximum number of sorcery points because of this, they can convert the excess number of points into a spell slot.
Not sure anybody wants to deal with a Sorcerer that can, as a reaction, lob a fricken Fireball at the enemy that just hit him with Magic Missile..